Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

Nope he had to resign because of blackmail material Dr. Spider-octopus released of him. Or something. Like most of Slott's stories I barely remember it. But his political career is over.

Two years ago I'd agree with you, but in 2017...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SiKboy posted:

Two years ago I'd agree with you, but in 2017...

Ha! Obviously it's comics, so nothing's stopping them from just putting him back in politics, but that doesn't seem to be the plan. Lord knows characters like Iron Man have come back from much worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Ha! Obviously it's comics, so nothing's stopping them from just putting him back in politics, but that doesn't seem to be the plan. Lord knows characters like Iron Man have come back from much worse.

I just can't imagine JJJ taking a job that require him to move out of NYC.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I still hear Ed Asner for JJJ. Simmons is amazing as the campier JJJ but as the serious newsman with a voice of gravel, casting Lou Grant himself is like the voice equivalent of Patrick Stewart for Xavier.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lurdiak posted:

Nope he had to resign because of blackmail material Dr. Spider-octopus released of him. Or something. Like most of Slott's stories I barely remember it. But his political career is over.

So yeah, he's on the Fox News MU equvilant now

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of JJJ as politician, how many characters have tried running for politics? I know Luthor was president briefly, and Hundred from Ex Machina, but are there any other big names? I think Ollie Queen was mayor once? How did that turn out?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

Speaking of JJJ as politician, how many characters have tried running for politics? I know Luthor was president briefly, and Hundred from Ex Machina, but are there any other big names? I think Ollie Queen was mayor once? How did that turn out?

The head of the Secret Empire was a big-name politician.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sunshine Superman is president on Earth-whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cap very briefly considered running for office, and Tony was briefly Defense Secretary or something like that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

IIRC, he got recalled when it came out he was secretly financing the Outsiders.

The Squadron Supreme's Nighthawk was President of the US, and of course Tony Stark spent a while as George W. Bush's Secretary of Defense. And Barbara Gordon was in Congress for a little while during the 70s, I believe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Didn't Falcon run for Congress at one point?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Didn't Falcon run for Congress at one point?

Yep. DeMatteis actually used that storyline to retcon out his retconned in backstory of being a criminal with altered memories, but unfortunately it didn't stick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

Sunshine Superman is president on Earth-whatever.

I think you're mixing up your black Supermen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olver Queen was mayor for a while I think.
Barbara Gordon was a congresswoman
Jay Garrick was also a mayor

If you count What-Ifs then Superman, Captain America, Bruce Wayne, Deathstroke, etc, etc, etc pretty much every remotely recognizable name has been a President or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think you're mixing up your black Supermen.

I thought they were the same Superman, honestly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Does District Attorney count as a political office, because I feel like a bunch of DC's street level C-listers are DAs, like Manhunter and Vigilante and so on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Batman ran for mayor against the Penguin, once.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gaz-L posted:

Does District Attorney count as a political office, because I feel like a bunch of DC's street level C-listers are DAs, like Manhunter and Vigilante and so on.

Well, and Harvey Dent by that same token

I'd be surprised if Kingpin never made a bid for office, though in modern story telling, it's easier for him to just puppet someone already in office.

Penguin has run for mayor, but I think has been defeated before winning office.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Firehawk, Lorraine Reilly, sometimes girlfriend of Ronnie Raymond Firestorm, is a senator.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Foggy Nelson was Manhattan DA at one point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Batgirl being a congresswoman is one of those things that, when I first heard about it, I assumed was a parody of Bronze Age "THE BOLD AND THE RELEVANT" comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

Sunshine Superman has a sun around his S, and an afro. Member of the Love Syndicate. President Superman is from Earth 23. His Justice League has all black members besides Batman.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm more of a Marvel guy but I read DC's stuff on and off since Identity Crisis (which got me into comics). Cyborg always kinda seemed like a character who, while important for teams like the Titans, never really was an A-Lister. Then the New 52 made him a founding Leaguer.

My question is, did I miss something? I admit I read DC on and off so maybe I missed it, but was Cyborg's elevation to top tier out of nowhere or was there precedent for it?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm more of a Marvel guy but I read DC's stuff on and off since Identity Crisis (which got me into comics). Cyborg always kinda seemed like a character who, while important for teams like the Titans, never really was an A-Lister. Then the New 52 made him a founding Leaguer.

My question is, did I miss something? I admit I read DC on and off so maybe I missed it, but was Cyborg's elevation to top tier out of nowhere or was there precedent for it?

Geoff Johns is a big New Teen Titans fan

Also condolences about Identity Crisis.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

See Marvel Comics, Carol Danvers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Justice League can only have 1 black guy and they're committed to Hal Jordan for some reason, so we're stuck with Cyborg, who nobody likes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CzarChasm posted:

I'd be surprised if Kingpin never made a bid for office, though in modern story telling, it's easier for him to just puppet someone already in office.
The title of Daredevil's "Marvel Legacy" arc starting in October is "Mayor Fisk".

This is also a pretty concise rundown of at least everyone who became President across realities in Marvel. And at DC.

Howard the Duck ran for president in 1976, and Prez was... well, Prez in 1974. I think those were the first two storylines they did about this, outside of I guess Secret Empire or the time that JFK impersonated Superman in a comic that came out right after he died.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Justice League can only have 1 black guy and they're committed to Hal Jordan for some reason, so we're stuck with Cyborg, who nobody likes.

That's pretty much it, I suspect -- they wanted to add some color to the Justice League lineup (other than Martian green). Cyborg is one of the few black heroes who's powerful enough to put in the League without being completely overshadowed, and unlike Steel or John Stewart, he's not an offshoot of an already existing Leaguer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hal is already not the 'original' Lantern, so you can gently caress off with this implication that John Stewart is in the same league as spinoffs like Steel. Anyway New 52 was a reboot so that would have been the perfect opportunity to make John Stewart the Green Lantern, and not an offshoot of anybody, but no, Johns had already jerked off onto every issue of Hal Jordan he could find, so he had to get some more printed.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Batgirl being a congresswoman is one of those things that, when I first heard about it, I assumed was a parody of Bronze Age "THE BOLD AND THE RELEVANT" comics.

Barbara Gordon being a congresswoman means that pre-Killing Joke, she was 25 or older.

Kind of recontextualizes a lot of Dick Grayson stories.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Claytor posted:

Barbara Gordon being a congresswoman means that pre-Killing Joke, she was 25 or older.

Kind of recontextualizes a lot of Dick Grayson stories.

There's always a good amount of years between the two of them but Congresswoman Gordon was definitely pre-Crisis so it's not in continuity with killing joke anyway
:goonsay:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

purple death ray posted:

Hal is already not the 'original' Lantern, so you can gently caress off with this implication that John Stewart is in the same league as spinoffs like Steel. Anyway New 52 was a reboot so that would have been the perfect opportunity to make John Stewart the Green Lantern, and not an offshoot of anybody, but no, Johns had already jerked off onto every issue of Hal Jordan he could find, so he had to get some more printed.
Out-of-universe I think it is not unfair to consider John Stewart a spinoff of Hal Jordan in the same way that Nightwing is a spinoff of Batman. It is much less of an "inferior" thing given the fiction around the GLs, but Hal was the one who introduced the modern-day Green Lantern mythos, as I recall.

I hate Hal Jordan so hard you can call me 80s-era Star Sapphire, mind you. And you're quite right that nothing was stopping them from having Stewart be senior to Hal in enringment, but weren't GL things semi-exempt from New 52 due to Johns?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

:yikes:

Sunshine Superman's president is OG Prez, for those who were wondering.

I also learned recently that it's only been five years in-timeline since Zero Year, and just months since Flashpoint. Am I the only one who thinks that sounds completely insane?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sneaks posted:

I also learned recently that it's only been five years in-timeline since Zero Year, and just months since Flashpoint. Am I the only one who thinks that sounds completely insane?

Where did you read that? Jon Kent's existence kind of contradicts that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, Superman Reborn pretty much shits all over that timeline. I seriously doubt that's the case.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The start of the New 52, maybe. But that's ancient history.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

IIRC the Zero Year storyline explicitly says "six years ago" in its lead-in. Jon Kent's existence is also a more recent retcon that fucks with the timeline even more, so.

Expecting a coherent timeline out of DC at this point is a fool's errand.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Batman: the former is stated in War of Jokes and Riddles iirc, and the latter is from the Flash tie-in when they visit Flashpoint and Thomas Wayne

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Wait, does this mean batman did the do with Talia while he was still training, or are they doing the dumb 'accelerated young age' thing with damian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

KaosMachina posted:

Wait, does this mean batman did the do with Talia while he was still training, or are they doing the dumb 'accelerated young age' thing with damian

Well, he turned 13 in Robin: Son of Batman, so I assume the former, but in a continuity that is already hosed top to bottom Batman makes especially little sense (see: Batman Inc.)