Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

who cares if it makes the black and dark areas of the picture washed out and milky, we want BRIGHTER

lol because movies don't have rich, contrasty shadows anymore anyway. big budget movies use that awful, low-contrast, straight-down, overhead "overcast" soft lighting that still somehow looks overlit, so they don't have to work as hard to match the CG to the live action

In all seriousness though, this is how film responds when you perform a lift operation to make things easier to see.

also raised black levels are natural in bright outdoor scenes. Raised blacks in a film are there to increase dynamic range because color data goes beyond your scopes ganged together average. This is why BT.1886 is important to get the dark shadows back in but improve shadow detail much like original film prints but NOBODY FOLLOWS THE loving STANDARD and then we get knobs whining about raised blacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

make some new gifs for fucks sake

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

got bigger fish to fry now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

spankmeister posted:

Cabin in the woods is good

Josh Weeden

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

who is schriber and what is his threshold?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

spankmeister posted:

make some new gifs for fucks sake

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pagancow posted:

got bigger fish to fry now

a whale isn't a fish

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pagancow posted:

UHD Blu-Ray requires you to support HDR10, Dolby Vision is an optional add-on, much like DTS audio was in the DVD Days

univbee posted:

yes, there are only like three uhd blu-ray players that support dolby vision

the selection of dolby vision uhd discs is pretty thin right now

The Cabin in the Woods
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
The Fate of the Furious
Power Rangers (2017)
RED
RED 2
Resident Evil Vendetta (some just-released CG movie)
Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars (another just-released CG masterpiece)
Warm Bodies

and no one has a loving clue wrt announced future uhd discs because none of the companies care enough to confirm the hdr standard for their "coming soon to uhd blu-ray" press announcements

lol get ready for dolby vision to lose the format war to a technically inferior product then, since no one seems to actually care about forcing it on users (let alone letting the market be able to decide)

my retinas are ready for searing, are yours?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 4, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

where things get weird is I don't think it's an either/or thing, i'm pretty sure that dolby vision uhd blu-rays still work with hdr10 the same as if the disc didn't have dolby vision at all

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

dolby vision is a feint for making HDR10, which is almost entirely the same dolby technology, appear non-partisan.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
u fukken kidden me, telestream?

close and restart fixed this but :arghfist:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gotta love those new free watermarked features

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i dont even know what an "Update Pack" is i bought the software from their website and downloaded it and that was that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/appleinsider/status/893966652525641728

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

extra extra company expands enum

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

predictable as gently caress but i'm actually somewhat surprised it took this long, i would have expected at least the itunes store side of things to be a a day-and-date thing with the retina macbooks and imacs

wonder what the "upgrade" process/cost will be for already-owned titles

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

univbee posted:

wonder what the "upgrade" process/cost will be for already-owned titles

the mistake is thinking there will be an upgrade process

consumers love purchasing media over and over again. it makes them feel more connected to their favorite movies and increases brand awareness. ideally the new format can be used as an opportunity to successfully convert more consumers to a subscription service they never use (free money!) over merely purchasing one movie.

--some executive in sales, probably

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they did iTunes music upgrades, I don't see why movies would be such a stretch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Last Chance posted:

They didn't when movies went SD to HD, but I think Vudu or someone similar free upgraded everyone, and 4K media probably needs all the help it can get for consumer interest.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Last Chance posted:

the power dynamic this time seems slightly more skewed the other way this time around what with intel having a hardware pathway for video drm in their new cpus etc

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i was watching game of thrones on my hdtv by using hbo go with my macbook and a displayport -> hdmi converter dongle and it would only play at what looked like 480p and i couldn't figure it out but I finally realized it was because of loving HDCP god drat it!!!!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Linguica posted:

i was watching game of thrones on my hdtv by using hbo go with my macbook and a displayport -> hdmi converter dongle and it would only play at what looked like 480p and i couldn't figure it out but I finally realized it was because of loving HDCP god drat it!!!!!!

hdcp is amazingly dumb given how easy it is to bypass

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

univbee posted:

Boxes which downgrade HDCP 2.0 to very-easily stripped 1.4 have been ruled to not be in violation of the DMCA because no actual encryption is broken.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 7, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
isn't there a newer hdcp?

e: beaten

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ComradeCosmobot posted:

lol get ready for dolby vision to lose the format war to a technically inferior product then, since no one seems to actually care about forcing it on users (let alone letting the market be able to decide)

my retinas are ready for searing, are yours?

Dolby Vision will be code for "more than a million dollars per finished minute" therefore are worth your time

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Displays with finalized HDR10 and Dolby Vision are now available, and content is growing rapidly for them. Of course Apple is going to support it.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

univbee posted:

Yeah, its a TV

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pagancow posted:

Dolby Vision will be code for "more than a million dollars per finished minute" therefore are worth your time

is that necessarily the case? i mean, i have to imagine, that while no doubt lambasted as a complete waste in *this* thread, hdr will eventually end up rolling out on stuff like cheap youtube shows which have enough post-production done that they can quickly tweak it into sanity (e.g. clamp it out of any scene where it'd otherwise look too terrible, leave it in when it makes content a bit more lively), but i guess dolby vision is really just for stuff where you have many expensive pro post-production hours to spend then?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

we already have two straight-to-home-media CG movies: one is the fifth Starship Troopers movie, and the other is a Resident Evil thing. I highly, highly doubt either of them pass the million-a-minute mark

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

is that necessarily the case? i mean, i have to imagine, that while no doubt lambasted as a complete waste in *this* thread, hdr will eventually end up rolling out on stuff like cheap youtube shows which have enough post-production done that they can quickly tweak it into sanity (e.g. clamp it out of any scene where it'd otherwise look too terrible, leave it in when it makes content a bit more lively), but i guess dolby vision is really just for stuff where you have many expensive pro post-production hours to spend then?

the two major things dolby vision gets you over HDR10 are support for using the full 0-10,000 nit range of PQ in 12-bit, which isn't going to be visible on a regular desk for a few years yet (and when it does, someone will be waiting with a free standard for it) and calibrated output, which is pretty much the definition of 'too much effort'

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the display manufacturer does the calibration, not you

*c-walks outa this thread*

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i want to calibrate my monitors, what should i get?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
intensive therapy to seek out the root of such destructive impulses

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh no blimp issue posted:

i want to calibrate my monitors, what should i get?

I got one of those spyder things. works 4 me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stymie posted:

intensive therapy to seek out the root of such destructive impulses

if anyone needs therapy it's the guy with the dog tits avatar

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's clearly a cat

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

pagancow posted:

video producer still has to grade to that standard though, rather than "gently caress it, looks good on my dell"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

pagancow posted:

please dont appropriate crip culture

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is there a price floor for dolby vision displays? like do the specs basically necessitate better tech and materials, or will we see even cheapo displays with it eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Stymie posted:

it's clearly a cat

now you are just arguing for arguments sake

• Locked thread