Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Still can't believe Howard fell to 19.

https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/894921372530614272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Still can't believe Howard fell to 19.

loving same. Bucs drafted really well this year, and made good acquisitions.

Prepare, NFC South thread. Prepare.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

BlindSite posted:

He can thread the needle like a motherfucker though and its not like cam can't throw short routes.

The whole touch thing wont be as much of an issue as the pundits think. Tolbert, Olsen, ginn, fozzy and Stewart have done plenty of work in the short areas for Carolina over the past two years. Theyre just designing routes and other poo poo for a guy who'll excel at it.

The only short touch passes that I can think of off the top of my head that Carolina ran with high success recently was the play where Olsen would fake block then sneak across field out to the flat and Cam would hit him as he was wide open.

Cam still can't throw a screen pass, and rarely do any other short routes (depending on definition) tend to work.

Stewart hasn't had more than 100 yards receiving in a total year but once in the last 4 years (181 in 2014).

Tolbert had 151 in 2015, and Whittaker had 226 in 2016.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

:jackbud:

Please stop, i'm going to fly too close to the sun

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Same.

Why are the Bucs trotting out an 8th grader at Safety?

JK, man OJ is loving yuge :stare:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Still not sure how to feel about NO this season. It always comes with the risk of 'ohgod maybe now finally Brees starts falling apart'. Just hoping for a swan song for Brees and Peterson together and a defense that is firmly middle of league levels of good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That Works posted:

Still not sure how to feel about NO this season. It always comes with the risk of 'ohgod maybe now finally Brees starts falling apart'. Just hoping for a swan song for Brees and Peterson together and a defense that is firmly middle of league levels of good.

Peterson is going to die by Week 3, sorry in advance for your loss.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

That Works posted:

ust hoping for a swan song for Brees and Peterson together and a defense that is firmly middle of league levels of good.

I feel like you are setting yourself up here...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

weird Asian candy posted:

I feel like you are setting yourself up here...

Every year man, every year. The lifelong Saints fans know what they signed up for.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That Works posted:

Every year man, every year. The lifelong Saints fans know what they signed up for.

I feel you, bro.

Reference the avatar to the left of this text :smith:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Same thing as last year. 7-9, 0-3 start, and people will get really mad at me for Catoposting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Same thing as last year. 7-9, 0-3 start, and people will get really mad at me for Catoposting.

Yeah. I want to get rid of this avatar but I think I'm gonna stick with it until we do better than 8-8 or Brees retires or something.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That Works posted:

Yeah. I want to get rid of this avatar but I think I'm gonna stick with it until we do better than 8-8 or Brees retires or something.

Get an Adrian Peterson avatar, maybe the one from that Bleacher Report drawing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

I feel like I'd curse his ACL if I did that this early.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That Works posted:

I feel like I'd curse his ACL if I did that this early.

:thunk:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

The only short touch passes that I can think of off the top of my head that Carolina ran with high success recently was the play where Olsen would fake block then sneak across field out to the flat and Cam would hit him as he was wide open.

Cam still can't throw a screen pass, and rarely do any other short routes (depending on definition) tend to work.

Stewart hasn't had more than 100 yards receiving in a total year but once in the last 4 years (181 in 2014).

Tolbert had 151 in 2015, and Whittaker had 226 in 2016.

Do you watch games dude? Hes not aome retard who just uncorks rockets non stop. The dude can throw a short pass. Hes not dropping a bucket catch over a linebacker, under a safety into the receiver in stride Brady style but the guy isnt full dragon like you seem to be saying.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Do you watch games dude? Hes not aome retard who just uncorks rockets non stop. The dude can throw a short pass. Hes not dropping a bucket catch over a linebacker, under a safety into the receiver in stride Brady style but the guy isnt full dragon like you seem to be saying.

Yeah. Cam has shown good touch, especially to Olsen. I'm obviously not enamored with the guy but he's not Kaepernick rifling poo poo into double coverage constantly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Silly Burrito posted:

Bloodied genitalia.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

That Works posted:

Yeah. Cam has shown good touch, especially to Olsen. I'm obviously not enamored with the guy but he's not Kaepernick rifling poo poo into double coverage constantly.

He can make the reads and is accurate, he just can't throw a touch pass. There's a difference between accuracy and touch passes. He can fit it in a tiny window as long as the receiver can catch it at full velocity at him.

Look at his YAC. He's been in the mid-20s the last 3 years even when overall passing yards have been higher ranked, because he doesn't throw touch passes that tend to lead the receiver.

three fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 9, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

three posted:

He can make the reads and is accurate, he just can't throw a touch pass. There's a difference between accuracy and touch passes. He can fit it in a tiny window as long as the receiver can catch it at full velocity at him.

Look at his YAC. He's been in the mid-20s the last 3 years even when overall passing yards have been higher ranked, because he doesn't throw touch passes that tend to lead the receiver.

The argument that he's typically throwing to dogshit in a WR jersey can also be made. Christ I never thought I'd be defending Cam.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Bloodied genitalia.

It's this. It's always gonna be this.

I hope by the time he's hall eligible, corporal punishment with a switch is seen as child abuse in a large enough way that sports writers can't justify letting him in.

But the way we're heading, they might have him do a comedy routine during his speech where he beats the balls raw of a random boy selected from the audience.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hot takes on Fox 5 last night...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Hot takes on Fox 5 last night...

:cawg:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Freeman just got paaaaaaaid. Don't see specifics other than highest paid rb in the league. He rules...but highest paid rules? Ehhhhhhh

E

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/895270679829856256

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It's just going to be the first in a wave of "highest paid" contracts. He won't be for long.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's just going to be the first in a wave of "highest paid" contracts. He won't be for long.

Exactly. He's the first domino.

I guess 8.25 per isn't outrageous

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

Exactly. He's the first domino.

I guess 8.25 per isn't outrageous

that's pretty outrageous. We basically just gave up on resigning Tevin.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

that's pretty outrageous. We basically just gave up on resigning Tevin.

Was bound to happen, can't pay both backs and Free is the more complete back. Plus Teco cannot stay healthy. I don't mind this at all.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Freeman is awesome and I'm glad he got paid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Anyone need a gently used Tevin Coleman? Will trade for good free safety.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Anyone need a gently used Tevin Coleman? Will trade for good free safety.

Rico is underrated and apparently Quinn sees Kazee being the FS of the future.

I know we are not used to being in this spot, my friend. Being a Falcon fan has pretty much assured draft pick busts and never seeing the light of day after their rookie deals. This is kinda cool. Who knew drafting good was so important :v:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Quinn also say promise in Jalen Collins and he pees lava on the reg.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Eh, Jalen has been Jalen since we drafted him. It's the reason he dropped the way he did.

C'mon Chili, in Quinn we trust! Say it with me!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'll trust quinn if he can get this D Line to generate some sacks against above average linemen.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

I'll trust quinn if he can get this D Line to generate some sacks against above average linemen.

You mean like the 5 sacks against Brady in the SB?

They dumped Rodgers a few times as well and were up his rear end all game.

Pressure is starting to come and Takk should only improve that. Also moving Campbell to WLB.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I can't wait until tonight when we're all trying to justify cmc's awful statline with the fact that Houston has such a great defensive line.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

I can't wait until tonight when we're all trying to justify cmc's awful statline with the fact that Houston has such a great defensive line.

Is Cam playing at all this preseason?

CMC is going to own up until the point he pops his ACL trying to extend a play in a meaningless preseason game.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I like Freeman and all but man RBs are just so easily replaceable. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Also hope he blocks that guy next time.

Eh, 22 million guaranteed... pretty frontloaded. Guess that's okay.

sexy tiger boobs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 9, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I like Freeman and all but man RBs are just so easily replaceable. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Also hope he blocks that guy next time.

Eh, 22 million guaranteed... pretty frontloaded. Guess that's okay.

Not as easy as you think for highly productive backs.

Also, Chili, it's basically a 3 year deal and some ATL beat reporters are suggesting it doesn't necessarily mean Teco won't be resigned.

quote:

Dan Graziano ESPN Staff Writer

Breakdown of Devonta Freeman's new Falcons contract: -Effectively six years, since they redid this year and it runs through 2022. -$41.25 million in new money, which averages to $8.25M/year if you count only the five new years. -$22.047 million in injury guarantees -$17.297 million fully guaranteed at signing -$15 million signing bonus -$1.297 million 2017 salary, fully guaranteed at signing. (His non-guaranteed 2017 salary had been scheduled for $1.797 million) -$2 million 2018 salary, of which $1 million is fully guaranteed at signing and the remaining $1 million is an injury guarantee that converts to full guarantee in March of 2018. -$3.75 million 2019 salary, guaranteed for injury only at time of signing, converts to full guarantee in March of 2019. -2020-22 salaries not guaranteed.

Pretty good deal for the team considering he wanted north of $10m per year and "elite money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
RB's don't get paid 10m/year anymore. wtf was he smoking?

• Locked thread