Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Berke Negri posted:

I feel like if the original Twin Peaks had never revealed who murdered Laura Palmer it probably would have played out like every other cliffhanger show did in the mid-2000s, eventually wearing thin and too long and the reveal being completely underwhelming or disappointing.

How could the reveal be underwhelming if they never revealed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Berke Negri posted:

I feel like if the original Twin Peaks had never revealed who murdered Laura Palmer it probably would have played out like every other cliffhanger show did in the mid-2000s, eventually wearing thin and too long and the reveal being completely underwhelming or disappointing. Fortunately Twin Peaks developed a pretty engaging mythos (all the lodge stuff, which is mostly what FWWM and The Return are riding on) that can carry it but there doesn't seem to really been any plan for season 2 to gracefully pilot that ship.

That and wrapping up the murder mid-season instead as a finale is weird decision in itself.

In a way, Twin Peaks getting cancelled was the best thing that could have happened to it. The show stayed unfinished, and so we were left craving more for decades, instead of getting bored with it. It's the purest form of seriality, really.

Now, there is a more perfect end in sight, though. David Lynch is not exactly a spring chicken. As the cast let Showtime know, there is no Twin Peaks without him. You can't fade away if you burn out first. :rock:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The revelation of the killer and the first third of s2 in which it happens are really fantastic episodes and the peak of an amazing performance by Ray Wise

I'd never give them up

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like the scene where Leland announces his triumphant, gray-haired return to Ben and Jerry, the one where he sexually menaces and murders Maddy, and the really tense one where Harry pulls him over in the next episode are some of the best scenes in the entire show

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

http://imgur.com/a/Sj20W

The David Lynch Foundation sponsored this? Supports this? Hmm....

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

wizard on a water slide posted:

The revelation of the killer and the first third of s2 in which it happens are really fantastic episodes and the peak of an amazing performance by Ray Wise

I'd never give them up

Completely agree, it's my favorite section of the show and it led directly into Fire Walk With Me. I'm glad things went the way they did even if it means a big chunk of season 2 was dumb.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Just be like Dougie. Accept and fully experience a thing like you've never encountered it before with immersion and child-like innocence. Except James subplots. Heck, Season 2 isn't really that offensive to me and I'm ok how it went because we got FWWM.

Also I read the spoilers for the leaked Ep.14 from the accidental posting on the German stream tv. Yooooooo poo poo is gonna be crazy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope we find out that James and whatever her name (blonde girl from his plot) wound up together and have been happy together ever since they recovered her ex-lover's mystical amulet that led them to the treasure her ex-husband had been hiding from his evil twin brother.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

cjg posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Sj20W

The David Lynch Foundation sponsored this? Supports this? Hmm....

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Oh..it's in the original? Durr on me.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, I genuinely thought that was supposed to be Nic Cage refusing to hug the Sandman.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zmej posted:

Also I read the spoilers for the leaked Ep.14 from the accidental posting on the German stream tv. Yooooooo poo poo is gonna be crazy.
I still can't find a loving way to watch this :negative:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Twin Peaks airs on Sunday nights on Showtime.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seriously doesn't seem to have been ripped by anyone. I thought these damned Germans were meant to be efficient!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

And More posted:

If Lynch wanted The Return to be viewed in its totality, he should have released it in a big lump like Netflix does. Since he didn't, it doesn't seem wrong to judge each episode individually. There is an end in sight, but chances are it'll just give you a cliffhanger like season one and season two. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that cutting it up into a series of single episodes was what Showtime wanted, not Lynch. If Lynch was in charge of release I imagine it would have just been one solid 18-hour film.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Nearly all of Lynch's films have been cut shorter than he wanted due to input from the studio. Perhaps this has actually benefitted his work and giving him total control is working to his detriment as he doesn't know how to edit his ideas.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm pretty sure that cutting it up into a series of single episodes was what Showtime wanted, not Lynch. If Lynch was in charge of release I imagine it would have just been one solid 18-hour film.

Once it's all said and done, I'm sure people will look at it that way, too. Currently, though, there is no point in pretending like there aren't some serious issues on an episode by episode level. It can't have been all that important to him, anyway, since he didn't squabble with Showtime over it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Nearly all of Lynch's films have been cut shorter than he wanted due to input from the studio. Perhaps this has actually benefitted his work and giving him total control is working to his detriment as he doesn't know how to edit his ideas.

Was Mulholland Drive cut for the studio? Aside from re-editing to change it from a pilot to a movie, I mean.

Escobarbarian posted:

It seriously doesn't seem to have been ripped by anyone. I thought these damned Germans were meant to be efficient!

Supposedly anti-piracy laws are much more strictly enforced there.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

And More posted:

Once it's all said and done, I'm sure people will look at it that way, too. Currently, though, there is no point in pretending like there aren't some serious issues on an episode by episode level. It can't have been all that important to him, anyway, since he didn't squabble with Showtime over it.

I would imagine the release schedule was some sort of compromise to get to film what he wanted with who he wanted.

cis autodrag posted:

I'm sure it's possible in some cases (I don't know the production history of much of his filmography), but definitely not in the case of Dune. That one's an executive mandate-ridden mess that wasted the potential to be an amazing adaptation.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
late but, all these people surprised Dougie/Coop knows martial arts, guy was a top agent in the FBI, he knows martial arts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sector_corrector posted:

Twin Peaks airs on Sunday nights on Showtime.
Thank you for this helpful information

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

please do because i'm not sure what you mean by pop in, the second car headlights come in from the very right edge as anything regular would.

Ok, you caused me to go full :spergin: explaining why everyone talking about this is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVUZGGjuj4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqhTwXMOhxM

tl;dr: the reflection jumps because they cut to a different shot as the car drives by. There are several other things in the shot that jump as well.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

wa27 posted:

Ok, you caused me to go full :spergin: explaining why everyone talking about this is wrong.

tl;dr: the reflection jumps because they cut to a different shot as the car drives by. There are several other things in the shot that jump as well.

ed's doppelganger is in the window's reflection and ghosts are driving the cars sorry you're wrong

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

for another example of someone's body warping when the camera angle changes, see the Nadine/Dr. Amp scene when Nadine crosses her arms

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

"Hey James wants us to go up and sing in his song."

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Zmej posted:

Just be like Dougie. Accept and fully experience a thing like you've never encountered it before with immersion and child-like innocence. Except James subplots. Heck, Season 2 isn't really that offensive to me and I'm ok how it went because we got FWWM.

Yeah I'm trying to treat this like my first viewing of Mulholland Dr where I was just willing to follow all of the weird avenues like music. There's a chance I will have things to complain about when it has ended but I want to see the whole package first. I am trying not to be negative about anything until then (although I really have very little complaints in general, although the pacing may become an issue if there is no time and/or alternative universe weirdness going on).

I just doubt there will be a television program this enrapturing and hypnotizing on television for a long time so I am just savouring it right now and saving any potential criticism for after the whole series is completed.

Such exciting news about the episode. You are the third person online I have heard say that. Trying not to hype myself up too much though because I did that for 12 and it was the only one I was somewhat underwhelmed by.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

wa27 posted:

Now that's some good detectiving. Can we have more spergy posts like this, please?

Slum Village posted:

Such exciting news about the episode. You are the third person online I have heard say that. Trying not to hype myself up too much though because I did that for 12 and it was the only one I was somewhat underwhelmed by.

They called it "crowd pleasing", so I assume it's gonna be Dougie munching pie and drinking coffee for 60 minutes.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I guess the 15 German people that watch it didn't think to record it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

wa27 posted:

That's good stuff, definitely seems like an editing mistake. I certainly wouldn't doubt that it was noticed and Lynch considered it a happy unnerving mistake. I'd imagine the supposed "time loop" during the RR diner closing sequence was similar, just stretching footage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The backflips you guys will do to give Lynch credit for things is amazing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah and lol at all the editing mistakes in the sarah palmer scene

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol, I love how sloppy this show is. One, because clearly Lynch doesn't care and two, it creates pages of goons and redditors spinning batshit theories.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Inland Empire was pure lynch, and also nearly impossible to sit through, so ima go with a little oversight being a good thing

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Inland Empire was pure lynch, and also nearly impossible to sit through, so ima go with a little oversight being a good thing

It had so many great parts. Sunny Jim playing on his new playground in the latest episode reminded me of this:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

Not true at all. Lynch has had final cut on everything he's done since Dune.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chime_on posted:

Not true at all. Lynch has had final cut on everything he's done since Dune.

He still had to hit a runtime target though. Here he's just put in everything he wants to.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

It had so many great parts. Sunny Jim playing on his new playground in the latest episode reminded me of this:

Lotta great parts, but an absolutely incoherent whole (please dont use this as an excuse to tell me why im wrong and its actually perfect this is my opinion).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Inland Empire is like pure distilled film. I dig it but I'd never rag on anyone for not liking it.

Also I actually kinda want to see Dougie vs. Booper, Dougie did bust out some pretty slick moves against Ike the Spike.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

Lotta great parts, but an absolutely incoherent whole (please dont use this as an excuse to tell me why im wrong and its actually perfect this is my opinion).

I don't blame anyone for disliking it, but I never understood how it got the reputation for being incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Tolkien minority posted:

aight, i won't tell you why you're wrong