Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, he'll *become* one of the oligarchs. His father will probably position him to become the "Truck Baron of Russia."

He'll have a superyacht he'll name the Disco Olegante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQceEAdUmBg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People complained about the Oleg story but honestly I've never been able to pay full attention to the stories of Russian characters that don't work with P&E. You could tell me any sort of plot development happened and I might believe you.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Hot Take: This season was cool and good.

Every season of this show is fantastic IMO.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
not to be a perv but Liz's butt is a star of this show too. :allears:

we haven't seen Oleg's butt, so no comment.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It was good to spend time in the ussr seeing just how hosed what Elizabeth and Phillip are fighting for is. And that is exactly what Oleg's story this season did.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

not to be a perv but Liz's butt is a star of this show too. :allears:

we haven't seen Oleg's butt, so no comment.

mail robot rustles my jimmies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eyud posted:

Every season of this show is fantastic IMO.

Hell, :same:

I can understand the complaints about this season of Fargo, some of which I agree with, but I thought this season and all seasons have been completely fascinating.

But I think I'm more into ambient world-building in TV than most goons seem to be.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gyshall posted:

I think an important thing to point out is that this show is more akin to Mad Men then a straight up spy action show.

And what made you think this was important to point out to a group of people who are five seasons deep into the show?

Seriously, the discussion since the season ended is worse than Whochat. Just a bunch of goons who desperately want random internet people to know that they have ~good opinions~ about tv shows and are not filthy plebes.

Pretty much just 2 pages of poo poo like this:

precision posted:

But I think I'm more into ambient world-building in TV than most goons seem to be.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Baronash posted:

Seriously, the discussion since the season ended is worse than Whochat. Just a bunch of goons who desperately want random internet people to know that they have ~good opinions~ about tv shows and are not filthy plebes.

Or, you know, just random people having a friendly chat over how they felt about the season?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Heaven forbid we all just chill out.

Smoke more weed, it helps with that.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I don't think people here are "virtue signalling" that they like a show to look like a cool TV watcher. I think it's possible they just like the show and dug the story. I thought Tuan was really interesting, and the grain stuff was pretty necessary to tie into Oleg's Russia plots as well as showing more of how overwhelmed they were. The secret Orthodox marriage was incredibly beautiful. After everyone whining about it, they finally gave Henry a juicy storyline and character development. And while the other Russian family never was as good or hit as hard as Young-hee, it was still a really good mirror image to their own family that was hurtling toward doing the same thing to move kids to Russia.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the finale. God drat this show is so loving good. It places a lot of faith in its actors' ability to carry nuance, and that faith is just never misplaced.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

try the new taco place posted:

I don't think people here are "virtue signalling" that they like a show to look like a cool TV watcher. I think it's possible they just like the show and dug the story. I thought Tuan was really interesting, and the grain stuff was pretty necessary to tie into Oleg's Russia plots as well as showing more of how overwhelmed they were. The secret Orthodox marriage was incredibly beautiful. After everyone whining about it, they finally gave Henry a juicy storyline and character development. And while the other Russian family never was as good or hit as hard as Young-hee, it was still a really good mirror image to their own family that was hurtling toward doing the same thing to move kids to Russia.

cool tv watchers only watch obscure anime that was killed far too early, like mission hill

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

howe_sam posted:

Man, I loved Elizabeth looking at the spot where Phillip put her rapist's head through the wall when she was talking to Paige.

forgot about that. For some reason when she looked at that I thought about the freezer in the garage where Alison and her husband put the body in Orphan Black. :)

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
I loved this season, and I'm not particularly sure why. The showrunners clearly knew they were venturing off their bread-and-butter spy procedural stuff from earlier seasons, into something a lot more nuanced and character-focused, and that takes a lot of balls - they had to know this season would not be super popular. At this point the actual spycraft keeps happening in story, but it fades to the background as it does for the characters themselves. It's now more about the weight of all these long years and what it has done to these people, and what they're really looking for.

Philip was the one who has always been the questioner, but having true believer Elizabeth starting to crack is the culmination of a series-long arc, and is one of the core progressions of the show. We see this paralleled in Gabriel's breakdown and return home, in Stan's growing unease with his own career, and in Oleg's growing revelation about the true nature of the USSR and his privilege there.

Henry is the perfect American kid at this point, and is serving as a really interesting point of reference to Phil & Liz - if they are truly everything against America stands for, then they're also against what their son is already becoming. Paige is right in the middle of everything and the outcome of the show itself seems to be riding on the fight for her soul.

I think one of the reasons why I love this show is that we're seeing how actual human beings react to the spy/action movie lifestyle. Training and professionalism will carry you for a while, but if you're not a psychopath, you will have to come to terms with your humanity, and it's confusing and messy as gently caress.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Fugue Stater posted:

I loved this season, and I'm not particularly sure why. The showrunners clearly knew they were venturing off their bread-and-butter spy procedural stuff from earlier seasons, into something a lot more nuanced and character-focused, and that takes a lot of balls - they had to know this season would not be super popular. At this point the actual spycraft keeps happening in story, but it fades to the background as it does for the characters themselves. It's now more about the weight of all these long years and what it has done to these people, and what they're really looking for.

Philip was the one who has always been the questioner, but having true believer Elizabeth starting to crack is the culmination of a series-long arc, and is one of the core progressions of the show. We see this paralleled in Gabriel's breakdown and return home, in Stan's growing unease with his own career, and in Oleg's growing revelation about the true nature of the USSR and his privilege there.

Henry is the perfect American kid at this point, and is serving as a really interesting point of reference to Phil & Liz - if they are truly everything against America stands for, then they're also against what their son is already becoming. Paige is right in the middle of everything and the outcome of the show itself seems to be riding on the fight for her soul.

I think one of the reasons why I love this show is that we're seeing how actual human beings react to the spy/action movie lifestyle. Training and professionalism will carry you for a while, but if you're not a psychopath, you will have to come to terms with your humanity, and it's confusing and messy as gently caress.

season 5 was bad and the writers should feel bad :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Your wig is bad

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

maskenfreiheit posted:

season 5 was bad and the writers should feel bad :colbert:

Can any season with the mail robot truly be bad?

Checkmate.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Can any season with the mail robot truly be bad?

Checkmate.

メールロボットは唯一の良いキャラクターです📫🤖💌

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Between Mail Robot and Drug Robot the past few years have been a real step forward for Silicon-American representation in media.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

You say that now, but sooner or later we are going to be hearing all about those uhh..flesh washing controversies.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
This is late but we just watched all 5 seasons starting a couple months ago. We really loved it, until we hit season 5.

My wife still begrudgingly held on to her love of the show for a few episodes but by mid point S5 it wasn't the same for her either.

What happened? I cannot recall a show that fell off a cliff quite like this did. There were glimmers of brilliance here and there but mostly it plodded along. The family is the center of the story but they need the spy parts, the action and intrigue to make it work. It felt like a family drama a couple episodes in and never recovered. The Russian woman who turned on her country and killed prisoners episode was strong but that was a stand-alone mission and plot with nothing relating to the longer story arcs except to reinforce what we were beaten over the head with for seasons - now they are really really starting hate their job.

Instead of intrigue and development what did we get?

- The 2 main characters mostly spent time in Kansas, working on wheat and wheat-pest missions
- Boring Russian story about grocery theft that did nothing to move Oleg's story along. 0. (Really think about this subplot for the whole season. It did nothing for the larger story or Oleg)
- Paige, who has a well of potential story had some boyfriend troubles then we either saw her doing church things or sparring with her mom
- An entire season of Beeman hanging out with a girlfriend with just a bit of drama thrown in about his ex boss

Tuan was interesting. In the end that fizzled.

I'm not even going to mention Henry because he's been a throwaway character from the start. His conversations with Beeman are interesting and he had maybe a minute or two of screen with him S5.

The finale had one touching moment with Martha and the orphan. Hell, that may have been the highlight of the season.

This show checked a lot of boxes and got stuck in a rut early on (I'd argue E2) and never got back on the track the earlier seasons laid. Too bad.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sten Freak posted:

This is late but we just watched all 5 seasons starting a couple months ago. We really loved it, until we hit season 5.

My wife still begrudgingly held on to her love of the show for a few episodes but by mid point S5 it wasn't the same for her either.

What happened? I cannot recall a show that fell off a cliff quite like this did. There were glimmers of brilliance here and there but mostly it plodded along. The family is the center of the story but they need the spy parts, the action and intrigue to make it work. It felt like a family drama a couple episodes in and never recovered. The Russian woman who turned on her country and killed prisoners episode was strong but that was a stand-alone mission and plot with nothing relating to the longer story arcs except to reinforce what we were beaten over the head with for seasons - now they are really really starting hate their job.

- The 2 main characters mostly spent time in Kansas, working on wheat and wheat-pest missions
- Boring Russian story about grocery theft that did nothing to move Oleg's story along. 0. (Really think about this subplot for the whole season. It did nothing for the larger story or Oleg)
- Paige, who has a well of potential story had some boyfriend troubles then we either saw her doing church things or sparring with her mom
- An entire season of Beeman hanging out with a girlfriend with just a bit of drama thrown in about his ex boss

I'm not even going to mention Henry because he's been a throwaway character from the start. His conversations with Beeman are interesting and he had maybe a minute or two of screen with him S5.

The finale had one touching moment with Martha and the orphan. Hell, that may have been the highlight of the season.

This show checked a lot of boxes and got stuck in a rut early on (I'd argue E2) and never got back on the track the earlier seasons laid. Too bad.

I had watched S1-4 on prime and was excited about S5 and largely felt the same.

I did think Oleg's corruption side plot was interesting but sadly it was limited so they could wander around Kansas

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Season 5 sucked and we have enough distance from it now that we can admit that instead of trying to convince ourselves it was a character study. Seasons 1-4 were so strong that I remain optimistic for season 6, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

I mostly agree with this except for the Oleg part. His story was good as it showed him how the :ussr: really works. Much better than the garbage plot they pulled with Nina a few seasons earlier.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
To clarify the point about Oleg: Seeing the process from the Soviet viewpoint and setting was cool. Seeing him with his family was insightful. My beef is the subject matter of the investigation and the fact that all that time investigating ended in a wet fart - this is the way the country works. All that time spent for that conclusion seems a waste to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

To clarify the point about Oleg: Seeing the process from the Soviet viewpoint and setting was cool. Seeing him with his family was insightful. My beef is the subject matter of the investigation and the fact that all that time investigating ended in a wet fart - this is the way the country works. All that time spent for that conclusion seems a waste to me.

That was the best part that really hammered home the point of how corrupt the :ussr: is for Oleg.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
OK I'll buy it. For a spy show it was anticlimactic but I guess in works as a reflection of the big stupid ways of the Soviet system.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I didn't think the last season sucked. If you think that each season of a TV series needs to have its own beginning-middle-end arc to it, then it didn't work very well, but I don't think it was meant to. I think, at this point, that the writers are looking at the whole story they want to tell, and this past season more or less got us to the point where all the main characters we follow are thoroughly disillusioned with what they've devoted their lives to up til now.

We had a brief flicker of renewed dedication from the Jennings when they thought they were preventing the US from destroying the USSR's food supply, but then that turned out to be a lie, and the Soviets turned around and used the biological weapon they said they only wanted protection from. Stan is fairly thoroughly done with the FBI, between the lack of movement on Gaad's murder and trying to blackmail Oleg. The Oleg thing, we've talked about. I think they did a good job setting up all our characters in a place where they're done eating various kinds of poo poo and obviously itching to do something different.

Now, if they don't use the final season to do something compelling with this setup, I'll agree the whole thing was bad. The quality of the show is sufficient that they've earned my trust so far though. My guess is the final season will be a glorious car crash.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
A great example of the shift from spy drama to family drama was the scene of the family viewing the photographs of the preacher's journal. Scenes of people reading anything don't fare well in TV or movies but they had dramatic music and cuts which made it just silly. These are spies that kill without thought and they're troubled by some square talking about Paige's soul? And iirc that was the big ending of the episode: The family reads the preacher's diary. :ughh:

E: ^ I hope you're right and S6 just kills it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sten Freak posted:

A great example of the shift from spy drama to family drama was the scene of the family viewing the photographs of the preacher's journal. Scenes of people reading anything don't fare well in TV or movies but they had dramatic music and cuts which made it just silly. These are spies that kill without thought and they're troubled by some square talking about Paige's soul? And iirc that was the big ending of the episode: The family reads the preacher's diary. :ughh:

No, they were troubled that the pastor thought they were physically abusing Paige, and the duplicity of the pastor being all sweetness and light to her face, but actually thinking all this stuff, pushed her far into the wannabe spy side.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sten Freak posted:

You have no soul, that scene was amazing television.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Season 5 sucked and we have enough distance from it now that we can admit that instead of trying to convince ourselves it was a character study. Seasons 1-4 were so strong that I remain optimistic for season 6, though.

Yeah, hopefully it'll be like Justified where the penultimate season was kind of garbage because they were aligning things for the final season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hey now, don't forget we got to watch people dig a hole for 15 minutes. Like, they specifically extended the episode past normal running time so we could take it all in.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hey now, don't forget we got to watch people dig a hole for 15 minutes. Like, they specifically extended the episode past normal running time so we could take it all in.

Ok the hole digging scene was baffling, I give you that. I dunno if they thought it was going to be tense or something but it was not great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked the hole

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it was a metaphor for the season

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 5 was great and the Oleg stuff was great

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

I liked the hole
Me too. I thought it was a great, tense scene.

Hell, I liked the season. I think getting back to spy stuff was necessary before the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Season 5 was great and the Oleg stuff was great

Yeah, I loved this season. It was a super slow burn, but the show and characters have earned that imo. The relative calm before the storm.

• Locked thread