Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

vlad and morghur just come back whenever they like, azhag has nagash's magic necro hat so he can come back whenever he wants too

im pretty sure everyone can just come back to life whenever. when is total war meant to be set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Vlad had the excuse of actually being present during the Endtimes for a bit, which this game is ostensibly based during, and therefore the lore nerds didn't cry much. Isabella was on the other side of the world and possessed by a demon during Endtimes though, so yeah, all bets are off, any character goes, which is how it should be.

Also, despite the addition of Norsca and all the cool Chaos poo poo that was badly needed, at this point the thing that has me most excited about this patch is SUPERFRANZ

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

vlad and morghur just come back whenever they like, azhag has nagash's magic necro hat so he can come back whenever he wants too

im pretty sure everyone can just come back to life whenever. when is total war meant to be set?

Right before the end times if I remember correctly.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Vampires are really cool about being dead and are pretty good at being revived. Mannfred was deader than disco before being revived by a no-name necromancer and nearly killed again by Gotrek.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vlad has one of the best end times deaths too.

Basically Isabella gets possessed by nurgle (who loving HATES undead) and gains crazy anti-necromancy powers, but becomes his puppet and gets brought back to life by him every time she dies.

In the final fight vlad takes off his magic ring that keeps bringing him back to life, puts it on Isabella, and then impales the both of them, killing him for real but the ring resurrects Isabella without nurgle's influence

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Don Gato posted:

Right before the end times if I remember correctly.

I think the grand campaign starts with Karl Franz' coronation, which is a couple decades prior to the end times. It also means Azhag can still be alive. I'd assume the grand campaign takes place over 20-40 year period.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zore posted:

Yeah, and Morghur's also technically dead.

Though Morghur's gimmick is that every time he is killed he just comes back eventually. His last death in the lore even states. "and so his threat was ended for as long as it took him to be reborn."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 8, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Kislev will be cool since it's just a mishmash of every Eastern European military. Cossacks, winged hussars, probably some bear cavalry, etc.

The #1 thing I want from Kislev and Dogs of War are their fast Horse Artillery.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Triskelli posted:

The #1 thing I want from Kislev and Dogs of War are their fast Horse Artillery.

Kislev needs some kind of tachanka. Bear tachanka.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are siege weapons considered large?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kislev needs some kind of tachanka. Bear tachanka.

That's exactly what they've got:

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Baron Porkface posted:

Are siege weapons considered large?

The weapon itself is its own category, while the crew that operates it are infantry.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Your mighty Dwarfen engineering is no match against my umgi spear

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mukip posted:

I think the grand campaign starts with Karl Franz' coronation, which is a couple decades prior to the end times. It also means Azhag can still be alive. I'd assume the grand campaign takes place over 20-40 year period.

Does this mean no Grom the Paunch :(

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Basically Isabella gets possessed by nurgle (who loving HATES undead) and gains crazy anti-necromancy powers, but becomes his puppet and gets brought back to life by him every time she dies.

In the final fight vlad takes off his magic ring that keeps bringing him back to life, puts it on Isabella, and then impales the both of them, killing him for real but the ring resurrects Isabella without nurgle's influence

Man loves his wife. Ain't no shame in it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm sure CA could pull some obscure character from the books, or just make up some chief boyar or whatever

Ghorst

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Does this mean no Grom the Paunch :(

I thought Grom wasn't 100% confirmed dead?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Doomrider should appear for some loving reason

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

So Ungrim gets a +10% factionwide speed boost for all dorfs. Is this a big deal or not enough?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

have htey buffed archaon at all or is he still the chump of all time?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Doomrider should appear for some loving reason

If they ever did to a tongue-in-cheek 40K reference, this is how to do it.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Yeah, pretty massively actually. He was already the nastiest melee lord, now he's even nastier with a new skill tree in order to counteract the buffs guys like Franz and Grimgor got.

I mean, he's still a chump because he's Archaon and not someone cool, but only in the personality sense, not the kill things sense.

EDIT: Anyone bothering to watch the pre-release Multiplayer guys heard whether or not they fixed the Luminark yet?

EDIT 2:VVV We all have guilty pleasures, yours is just one of the more unfortunate ones.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 9, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like Archaon :( there I said it

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

So Ungrim gets a +10% factionwide speed boost for all dorfs. Is this a big deal or not enough?

It's definitely a thing, 10% across the board is good enough to bring your dwarves up to (armored) human speed, which is pretty noticeable improvement. It's especially nice for Slayers and Rangers since it gets them fast enough to catch a lot of units.

Ungrim will still be a niche pick, but he should be fun. His new skills give him huge personal damage buffs and a capstone skill that gives +30% replenishment for Ungrim and all Slayers so that + his other skills should make the Slayer front-line a reality.

quote:

Archaon gets some pretty big buffs. Big Boosts to Chaos Warriors, Chosen, Chaos Knights and Exalted Heroes, +2 rank for generic lords, and his final skill gives him 10% Physical Resist,15 Winds, and +2 Corruption.

Really all the old lords got some nice stuff. Even Gelt is looking pretty swag now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like Archaon :( there I said it

As a character or a unit?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Ungrim will be really fun when they add slayer heroes.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Archaon has always had the coolest model of any Games Workshop chaos figure

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Counterpoint: Slambo

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

Counterpoint: Slambo SLAMBO

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

cooler than the bird???

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Until they made the new version of him where instead of his horsie he's on some lovely-looking three*-headed chaos beast.

*the slaanesh head got censored or something

Hunt11 posted:

As a character or a unit?

both :(

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I remember in an old white dwarf (like probably 20 years+) they did a tournament of WHF characters, ironically it was won by a bloodthirster they just threw in to round out numbers (since they aren't actually a character) but Archaon got second. This definitely gave 10 year old me a soft spot for him. He is extremely bland for a big bad though, especially considering how great some of the WHF characters are. Bonus result, the BT killed Nagash in one round of combat in the round previous.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

WHERE IS MY SLAMBO LEGENDARY LORD???

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Until they made the new version of him where instead of his horsie he's on some lovely-looking three*-headed chaos beast.

*the slaanesh head got censored or something

both :(

I am pretty sure Slaanesh has been Squatted these days.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
No-one is cooler than sex-cow.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Real talk though, Archaon's kinda bland I guess but I think the only reason we think so little of him is because GeeDubs Chaos Boner was a super annoying thing all the time.

Besides, he's not Abbadon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Psycho Landlord posted:

Real talk though, Archaon's kinda bland I guess but I think the only reason we think so little of him is because GeeDubs Chaos Boner was a super annoying thing all the time.

Besides, he's not Abbadon.

Still has both his arms.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Given Isabella suicided herself the last time she realized Vlad died, this doesn't seem the most well thought out plan. Noble sure, but not exactly the greatest decision. Also, there is no such thing as a cool End Times death, because that would mean there were cool things in End Times.

Also, since when does Nurgle hate undead? He's the Chaos god representing entropy and decay, which undead represent pretty well. Hell, in 40k his followers have released plagues that cause zombie apocalypses (of the undead sort, just for clarification). Was this yet another dumb as gently caress End Times addition? I could see Tzeentch having a thing against undead, but not Nurgle.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The idea is that he wants the dead to nurture new life, not shamble around and be useless.

And also you can't hit Tomb Kings and Skeletons and poo poo with flesh eating bacteria and that probably pisses him off or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lord Koth posted:

Given Isabella suicided herself the last time she realized Vlad died, this doesn't seem the most well thought out plan. Noble sure, but not exactly the greatest decision. Also, there is no such thing as a cool End Times death, because that would mean there were cool things in End Times.

Also, since when does Nurgle hate undead? He's the Chaos god representing entropy and decay, which undead represent pretty well. Hell, in 40k his followers have released plagues that cause zombie apocalypses (of the undead sort, just for clarification). Was this yet another dumb as gently caress End Times addition? I could see Tzeentch having a thing against undead, but not Nurgle.

All the chaos gods hate undead, they're fundamentally opposed. Undead are stagnant, literally the opposite of chaos. Shambling minions also don't worship or have emotions. Chaos zombies are totally different bc magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I'm of the opinion that if the character is cool enough who cares if they are dead. Isn't Vlad 'dead' in this time period, and Azhag too or something?

Yeah, but Vlad's easy to bring back, you just need a good enough necromancer.

• Locked thread