Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And Kamen Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

grittyreboot posted:

RPO also has a part where the MC gives a Japanese character his Ultraman powerup because he thinks it's something sacred to Japanese culture or some poo poo. I think he even calls it Ultaru-manu or some poo poo.

quote:

“You two should keep the Beta Capsule,” I said. “Urutoraman is Japan’s greatest superhero. His powers belong in Japanese hands.”
They were both surprised and humbled by my generosity. Especially Daito. “Thank you, Parzival-san,” he said, bowing low. “You are a man of honor.”

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well probably NES games
I believe you mean Famikon gemu. :awesome:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

What's terrible nerd 80s nostalgia like in Japan? I only know about the ones who like anime.

A functional economy. :japan:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bet their media nostalgia isn't as big because most properties from the 80s are still ongoing and will continue until the artist/writer dies

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Youth biker gangs and pompadour haircuts? They seem to be popping up in modern comics more these days.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

outlier posted:

That article captures Matthew Reilly perfectly: it's utter trash, but the guy is so gleeful and enthralled with his own stories that are nothing but action-action-action ("Quick as a flash, he unslung his sniper rifle, aimed and fired it at the first oncoming RPG!"), that it all kinda works.

So it's like the Doom comic in prose form.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Deadspin actually has some moderately interesting things to ssy about RPO.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thank God that Helldump Superstar Boniface is here to tell us the same things everyone else has already said about that stupid book.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Thank God that Helldump Superstar Boniface is here to tell us the same things everyone else has already said about that stupid book.

Jeb Lund is the guy who blogged as Mbutu Sese Seko for awhile, I didn't think he joined until after helldump shut down?

And I liked the article,I thought it was surprisingly sympathetic :shobon:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Jeb Lund is the guy who blogged as Mbutu Sese Seko for awhile, I didn't think he joined until after helldump shut down?
He's both.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

je me j'appelle je blund

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Why does it sound like the Japanese nerds are obsessed with poo poo from before the 80s? Other than I guess it's the stuff Ernest Cline knows about from American nerd culture.

What's terrible nerd 80s nostalgia like in Japan? I only know about the ones who like anime.

As others have said, Famikon and then the manga/anime staple you probably already know.

I think tinkering with electronics was a popular pastime for nerds in Japan as well, so 80's nerd culture probably also involved putting together radios, old stereos and second-hand computers in your friend's garage with spare parts you scrounged on a flea market and poo poo like that. I assume this was also a thing in the USA and Western Europe.

Japanese nerd culture is a bit more varied than what we think of as "nerds" though, so any sort of audiophiles or train enthusiasts would share the label and their experiences could wildly differ from the anime or gamer crowd.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Lol didn't he write a long whiny blog post about how he got doxxed on some baseball forum and had to go undercover as a brutal Congolese dictator for a decade? hosed up if true.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
If this is a fulltime RPO SUCKS thread now (and it does, to be sure) can someone at least drop me off some links to other forums' Lets Reads like the "Victoria" one from earlier on?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To get off the RPO hate-wagon, a series that I read most of and enjoyed was The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson, which is a weird series. It's about a leper who falls unconscious one day after years of becoming used to being an outcast and having most of his body mostly numb from his illness, and in his mind ends up in a fantasy world that has innate healing powers and a Big Bad Evil Man to fight. Of course, it heals his leprosy and through his visits he becomes a legendary hero, as a few hours for him in the real world makes decades pass in the dream world.

There is one part at the beginning that gets weird though. When he first arrives in the world, he gets shown around a particularly powerful area of background healing that completely cures his leprosy (but only while he's in the dreamworld, in reality his body is deteriorating as badly as ever) by a young priestess, and he ends up with feeling coming to parts of his body that he thought long dead, which drives him to temporary euphoria-based madness and he ends up raping her after losing control of himself. Because the whole series takes place over a few hours in his time, he spends the rest of the series feeling like absolute poo poo about himself as the world of his dream heaps endless praises on him for defeating many evils over the course of the story. The key there, is that the girl never told anyone, and by his second trip there I think she is long dead of old age, so it stays an awful secret buried by history.

It does have some interesting characterisation though, like Thomas befriending a creature that should be chaotic evil due to being one of the evil lord dudes main minion army, but turns out that they are not evil by nature and he becomes kind of the team pet. There was some interesting word-building too, although I never finished the fourth book in the series. Fatal Revenant: The last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

What is everyone else's opinions on those books? I kind of liked them despite their flaws.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Aug 10, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The first trilogy was solid, but it quickly went downhill from there. I didn't get past the book where Tom is missing and it just follows some chick around looking at stuff through the Fog.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uh, I hate to break it to you but in a later book he goes back there like twenty years later and rapes his daughter (who was born out of the original rape).

and the books could be so good but their use of rape is notably awful even for 70s fantasy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

To get off the RPO hate-wagon, a series that I read most of and enjoyed was The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson, which is a weird series.

Have you tried clench racing?

quote:

This is a social and competitive sport, that can be played over and over with renewed pleasure. Playing equipment currently on the market restricts the number of players to six, but the manufacturers may yet issue the series of proposed supplements to raise the maximum eventually to nine.

The rules are simple. Each player takes a different volume of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and at the word "go" all open their books at random and start leafing through, scanning the pages. The winner is the first player to find the word "clench". It's a fast, exciting game – sixty seconds is unusually drawn-out – and can be varied, if players get too good, with other favourite Donaldson words like wince, flinch, gag, rasp, exigency, mendacity, articulate, macerate, mien, limn, vertigo, cynosure.... It's a great way to get thrown out of bookshops. Good racing!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Uh, I hate to break it to you but in a later book he goes back there like twenty years later and rapes his daughter (who was born out of the original rape).

Holy poo poo, seriously? The initial rape put me off ever reading those books as a teen, but somehow I never heard about there being a second rape, complete with (accidental?) incest. The level of wretchedness people put up with in nerdlit is still astounding to me, even now.

Clench racing is loving hilarious, though. It makes me miss the Eye of Argon sessions of my youth, although we always deployed lovely fanfic instead of the classic Theis.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

and the books could be so good but their use of rape is notably awful even for 70s fantasy

Jesus Christ, what is it with fantasy authors and rape? :gonk:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Holy poo poo, seriously? The initial rape put me off ever reading those books as a teen, but somehow I never heard about there being a second rape, complete with (accidental?) incest. The level of wretchedness people put up with in nerdlit is still astounding to me, even now.

Clench racing is loving hilarious, though. It makes me miss the Eye of Argon sessions of my youth, although we always deployed lovely fanfic instead of the classic Theis.
It's not clear whether he knows or not, but he does it because she looks like her mother so uh

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That series has one of the most unsympathetic protagonists of all time. I read the first three books, and I wanted my money back even though I checked them out of the library.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something about 'standard' fantasy lit has the protagonist tend to be the least likeable and sympathetic character in it besides maybe Lord Evil McRapeocaust and also lots of jarring sexual content. It's basically a long-form version of fanfiction in that way.

Is anyone else really sick of 'seemingly standard fantasy setting is actually the FUTURE after nuclear war!' even though it isn't used that much? I mean, Middle Earth is at least kinda interesting given the implication/statement it's the distant past. (I might give Adventure Time a pass because it doesn't try to pretend it's a surprise)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

That series has one of the most unsympathetic protagonists of all time. I read the first three books, and I wanted my money back even though I checked them out of the library.
See, I kinda like the idea of a less sympathetic fantasy protagonist. Especially from that time period, when everything was all shiny and GOOD VS EVIL.

The problem is how quickly authors go to sexual assault and how it's always like, a one-and-done thing to show how BAD the guy is -- the women are never more than props used to prove a point. Thomas Covenant isn't as bad as Prince of Thorns in that regard (worst fantasy series I've ever read and it came heavily goon-recommend what the gently caress guys) but it ain't good.

Actually can we talk about Prince of Thorns again because it's really hard to explain how bad those books are. The protagonist is:

1) Fifteen years old
2) impossibly handsome, with flowing anime hair
3) the best tactician in all the realm
4) the best soldier in all the realm
5) so scary and cool that a ghost jumps him, then goes "oh no it's that guy k bye"

CW: sexual assault
In the opening chapter, he rapes two women, then locks them in a barn and sets it on fire. While it burns down, he laughs to his fellow soldiers about the smell of bacon.

At one point in the book, he rips out a necromancer's heart and eats it. There's no particular plot reason for this, and he gets nothing out of it. It's just there so he can shove his hand into a guy's chest and rip out his heart, then eat it and monologue about how cool he is because he loves the taste of blood.

And like, at some point fairly quickly it stops being shocking, and just starts being dumb. Like that game Hatred, it wants so bad to be edgy and cool and dark but the harder it tries the stupider it comes off. It reads like the author has watched a fuckload of anime but never reads books.

oh and TWIST at the end
a wizard did it. No really, he's so evil because a wizard did it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is anyone else really sick of 'seemingly standard fantasy setting is actually the FUTURE after nuclear war!' even though it isn't used that much? I mean, Middle Earth is at least kinda interesting given the implication/statement it's the distant past. (I might give Adventure Time a pass because it doesn't try to pretend it's a surprise)

I can't say I've encountered it too much. I used to read a lot more than I do these days and read a whole lot of fantasy in my teens and the only series I can recall that does it is The Death Gate Cycle. I liked that series as a kid and am kind of scared to revisit it in case it was actually not that good and I'm just being nostalgic.

Anyway, is post-nuclear war a common trope in fantasy writing?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CW: sexual assault
In the opening chapter, he rapes two women, then locks them in a barn and sets it on fire. While it burns down, he laughs to his fellow soldiers about the smell of bacon.
Good job protecting someone from reading the word "rapes" after not spoilering "sexual assault" in a tangent about rape where people have used the word several times already, I guess.

Also good job not warning me about violence. I wasn't raped, but I did lose both of my sisters in a barn fire. rear end in a top hat.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Aug 10, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Actually can we talk about Prince of Thorns again because it's really hard to explain how bad those books are. The protagonist is:

oh and TWIST at the end
a wizard did it. No really, he's so evil because a wizard did it.

Yeah, the final twist was about the last straw when I noped the hell out and threw the goddamn book into a corner. It was just so utterly half-assed, and only popped up like 30 pages out from the end. It actually could have made for something potentially interesting if it had come up somewhere about halfway through: Imagine a character who has been ludicrously, cartoonishly evil for most of his life and had built a reputation upon that, but then it turns out that whole thing was due to an outside influence. That gives you an interesting hook for having the character try to deal with their position in life now that they actually have a functioning conscience, and trying to deal with the trauma of actually having done all that hosed up poo poo. A certain conflict between just how much of everything was due to the compulsion and how much they did out of their own free will. But instead it comes in at the very last moment as basically a cheap "Welp, turns out he's not actually culpable for anything, so I get to have my cake and eat it, too". Perhaps that whole issue is brought up in the sequels, but gently caress reading anything more of that.

Foxhound posted:

I can't say I've encountered it too much. I used to read a lot more than I do these days and read a whole lot of fantasy in my teens and the only series I can recall that does it is The Death Gate Cycle. I liked that series as a kid and am kind of scared to revisit it in case it was actually not that good and I'm just being nostalgic.

Anyway, is post-nuclear war a common trope in fantasy writing?

It's not super common or anything, but it does seem to pop up surprisingly regularly. There's no easy way to give examples without giving away the twists of some books, so read at your own risk: The aforementioned Prince of Thorns is one example, I think at one point you have the protagonist walk through an old bunker and interact with some remnant computer system, dumping a whole lot of exposition on his head and I think giving him some WMD or something. Another fairly recent example would be the Shattered Sea series by Joe Abercrombie, who embedded that whole thing a little more gracefully with only a few surviving artefacts that turned out to be modern firearms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, just have a drat fantasy setting where they also invented computers and guns if you want them that badly. Or just do Fallout.

Though there's a fun loophole usually used in anime where it's set on another planet that happens to be in a Wild West stage of incomplete/aborted colonisation so you can have wildly varying culture and tech levels without having to have a contrived post-apocalypse scenario. (though it doesn't always stop them anyway)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Foxhound posted:

I really liked that series as a kid, too. Had some great monsters, cool world building and the magic system was pretty sweet. Plus the dog.

But I also wanna say those books had a time-traveling wizard character who would occasionally drop George Lucas' name or something like that. At the time I loved it but I think it would just annoy me now.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the final twist was about the last straw when I noped the hell out and threw the goddamn book into a corner. It was just so utterly half-assed, and only popped up like 30 pages out from the end. It actually could have made for something potentially interesting if it had come up somewhere about halfway through: Imagine a character who has been ludicrously, cartoonishly evil for most of his life and had built a reputation upon that, but then it turns out that whole thing was due to an outside influence. That gives you an interesting hook for having the character try to deal with their position in life now that they actually have a functioning conscience, and trying to deal with the trauma of actually having done all that hosed up poo poo. A certain conflict between just how much of everything was due to the compulsion and how much they did out of their own free will. But instead it comes in at the very last moment as basically a cheap "Welp, turns out he's not actually culpable for anything, so I get to have my cake and eat it, too". Perhaps that whole issue is brought up in the sequels, but gently caress reading anything more of that.

It was not. The sequels just add even more convoluted ultra-violence.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, just have a drat fantasy setting where they also invented computers and guns if you want them that badly. Or just do Fallout.

Though there's a fun loophole usually used in anime where it's set on another planet that happens to be in a Wild West stage of incomplete/aborted colonisation so you can have wildly varying culture and tech levels without having to have a contrived post-apocalypse scenario. (though it doesn't always stop them anyway)

Isn't that the Star Trek/Gate approach?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is anyone else really sick of 'seemingly standard fantasy setting is actually the FUTURE after nuclear war!' even though it isn't used that much?
Kind of the opposite, really. Like, it's the most interesting thing about the Shannara Chronicles (TV show anyway, I haven't read the books) and I wish they'd get into it more because it's just kind of there in the background. And there are so many generic fantasy settings that having something like that just makes it slightly less repetitive.

artsy fartsy posted:

But I also wanna say those books had a time-traveling wizard character who would occasionally drop George Lucas' name or something like that. At the time I loved it but I think it would just annoy me now.
IIRC that character is actually originally from their Dragonlance novels and turns out to be a god?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Inescapable Duck posted:

May I introduce to a show called "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe"?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tiggum posted:

Kind of the opposite, really. Like, it's the most interesting thing about the Shannara Chronicles (TV show anyway, I haven't read the books) and I wish they'd get into it more because it's just kind of there in the background. And there are so many generic fantasy settings that having something like that just makes it slightly less repetitive.

IIRC that character is actually originally from their Dragonlance novels and turns out to be a god?

The Shannara books are also in a distant future setting. In less lovely territory, Riddley Walker seems at first to be a kind of Iron Age fantasy setting but quickly becomes apparent as an England nuked back to the Iron Age, and The Book of the New Sun also seems to be a fantasy story but slowly reveals itself to be very very far future. The origins of the idea are probably in Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, or even earlier than that in William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land, though again neither are specifically a nuclear future (in The Night Land's case that would have been quite a trick since it predates nuclear weapons by over thirty years).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

artsy fartsy posted:

I really liked that series as a kid, too. Had some great monsters, cool world building and the magic system was pretty sweet. Plus the dog.

That's just Once and Future King's Merlin for the lazy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wow, I didn't feel like responding since I'm sure someone else would point it out, but the sex was totally consensual, with Tom ignorant of her parentage (he's been gone for what they feel is 30 years), but Elena knowing fully who her dad was but didn't bring it up. Tom was horrified when he later finds out iirc. The 'rape-as-a-whole-concept' thing was put in very early in the first book, to show Tom as an anti-hero when everyone in the world assumes he's Jesus mkII, and his difficulty handling their expectations with his self-loathing. It's super-jarring, but sexuality is really not brought up ever again of a trilogy so Donaldson get a pass.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Tiggum posted:

Fizban / Zifnab, yeah. In the Death Gate novels he specifically references characters and events from Dragonlance, as well as real life stuff. He's completely an author insert and injoke.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

BioEnchanted posted:

To get off the RPO hate-wagon, a series that I read most of and enjoyed was The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson, which is a weird series. It's about a leper who falls unconscious one day after years of becoming used to being an outcast and having most of his body mostly numb from his illness, and in his mind ends up in a fantasy world that has innate healing powers and a Big Bad Evil Man to fight. Of course, it heals his leprosy and through his visits he becomes a legendary hero, as a few hours for him in the real world makes decades pass in the dream world.

Thomas Covenant was huge in its day. I think a lot of it's allure was that the protagonist was so un-heroic (without being a an outright dick) and spent so much time trying to avoid his fate. I gave the rape in the opening chapter a pass because it was drawn as a horrible action done by a tormented man who was out of his mind who spent the rest of the series beating himself up for it.

And you say there was a second rape. I may have been wrong.

The second trilogy? Eh ...

Then there was Donaldson's other series, The Gap into Power which I was utterly unable to get into because everyone was unpleasant and the whole thing was just grim and sordid. I think the big problem may be that Donaldson's shtick has just become the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Davros1 posted:

May I introduce to a show called "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe"?

I never gave this a second thought but you're right, for all the magical transformations and talking skeletons and cute sidekicks you also have laser pistols and space travel. I think most folks forget that Queen Marlena, He-Man's mother, was an astronaut from Earth that crash-landed on Eternia.

You get a little bit of that in Jack Kirby's work as well with the magic = science in Thor and later in his Fourth World stuff. Notably the He-Man live action director, Gary Goddard, wanted to hire Kirby as a concept artist (studio said no) and tried to dedicate the film to Kirby as his primary inspiration (studio took the credit out).