Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Chimichurri is awesome http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/sauced-chimichurri-sauce-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

The issue of Cooks' Illustrated that came out literally today has a whole section on basic rice, different kinds, different methods, different amounts of water, you name it. Definitely recommend it if you're having rice issues.

If you're havin' rice issues I feel bad for you, son...

HIT ME!

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are you rinsing the rice thoroughly?

And yes, pressure cooker rice is wonderful. It doesn't save any time, but it gives you an amazing texture. It's not really worth pulling out the pressure cooker most of the time, though, and it's often being used elsewhere anyway.

I don't rinse rice at all because I don't know what it is :(

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I don't rinse rice at all because I don't know what it is :(

Rinsing rice is where you put the uncooked rice into a colander and pour water over it. The water captures a lot of the excess starch on the rice grains, resulting in a less-sticky final product after you've cooked it. Alternately, you can soak rice in a bowl/pot/whatever, then pour it into a colander. The water will take on a cloudy white color from the excess starch. This will accomplish the same thing and save some water, probably.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
A mesh colander is probably essential for that.

How long do we soak rice?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: tangentially, my doctor says I have low potassium levels and high-ish blood pressure. Anybody tried the various salt substitutes? Do they taste THAT bad?

I looked into it and I guess unsweetened no-frills coconut water with a couple baked potatoes might help a little with your potassium intake. Just be sure you're not taking in too much of other stuff at the same time.

When Dr Axe and Mercola are all over the first pages of test results you gotta be take it with a grain of salt substitute though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I have various bottles of oil, balsamic, vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, etc that I've had for years. They're all fine according to the sell by date and I use them slowly over time. However, their bottles are all sticky at this point for reasons I'm not sure (no spills / leaks, they all have it). For all I know it's a combination of oil in the air of the cabinet and dust?

Anyway, since I don't know exactly what's causing the stickiness I don't know how to clean it. I've tried some 409 and a paper towel but it wasn't making a lot of progress. Should I try a specialized degreaser?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's just natural seasoning coating the outside of the bottles. Just keep cooking and it'll smooth out soon enough. If you really think it's a lost cause you can start over again by sticking the bottles into your oven and turning on the self-clean cycle.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

nuru posted:

. Should I try a specialized degreaser?

Yes. Dawn dish soap, the finest degreaser available.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

simple green also p good

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

Rinsing rice is where you put the uncooked rice into a colander and pour water over it. The water captures a lot of the excess starch on the rice grains, resulting in a less-sticky final product after you've cooked it. Alternately, you can soak rice in a bowl/pot/whatever, then pour it into a colander. The water will take on a cloudy white color from the excess starch. This will accomplish the same thing and save some water, probably.
I have literally never used a colander for rinsing rice. Put rice in rice cooker bowl (or cooking pot or however you're planning on cooking the rice). Pour in some water. Swirl it around a little. Pour off the excess water. Repeat if you want. Done.

I mean if you want to use a colander I'm really not trying to talk you out of it. But doing it in the cooking vessel literally just takes seconds and doesn't involve any additional poo poo that you then have to wash.

GrAviTy84 posted:

simple green also p good
Yeah, it's not great for removing stains and poo poo like that (like if you spill chili oil on grout or something) but it's loving aces as a nontoxic degreaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Mustard powder in fried chicken breading?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yes? No? Maybe? If you're asking whether you should add it or not it would depend on the other spices and what flavor you are aiming for, I've see dried mustard used in fried chicken batter, I've also seen plenty of recipes without it. :shrug:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's more likely than you think

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes? No? Maybe? If you're asking whether you should add it or not it would depend on the other spices and what flavor you are aiming for, I've see dried mustard used in fried chicken batter, I've also seen plenty of recipes without it. :shrug:

Other than that I was just gonna use pepper melange, seasoned salt and MSG. Just wondering if it was a good idea and wouldn't be overpowering.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: misspost

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I feel mustard powder is underused. For whatever reason in the Midwest I find it's polarizing.

Celery salt too

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Simple Green is also really good at stripping paint, which isn't mentioned nearly enough. I wish I had known that before I tried to degrease my stove hood.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Simple Green is also really good at stripping paint, which isn't mentioned nearly enough. I wish I had known that before I tried to degrease my stove hood.
What kind of paint? I've used Simple Green on a lot of painted surfaces and never had a problem (but I'm aware it's something that happens).

It also shouldn't be used on aluminium (there are a lot of special formulations of Simple Green including a couple that are safe to use on aluminium, but the generic cleaner you get from the grocery store isn't one of them).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Simple Green is what I use to strip acrylics off of models, so yes, it's a bit paint unfriendly. Shouldn't be taking enamel off of a hood, though, unless your hood's been repainted with something that's not heat safe!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My hood is a piece of poo poo recirculating kind, but it had the original paint (over metal). Simple Green dissolved the paint on the hood, plus the paint on my metal window frames.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Looking for a good oatmeal raisin cookies recipe. Of course everyone has one, but I'm wondering if anyone has a Secret, High Level recipe.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If your rice is enriched, rinsing your rice is just removing vitamins. A little starch in the water is fine.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: tangentially, my doctor says I have low potassium levels and high-ish blood pressure. Anybody tried the various salt substitutes? Do they taste THAT bad?

Do you like courgettes/zucchini? If you do, they are a pretty handy way to boost your potassium intake - 100g has 7% of your daily amount, so a couple of 5-6 inchers would contain a goodly amount.
I like to cut them into pretty thick 3/4 inch slices, coat them lightly in olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and roast at about 200c until they are nice and caramelized on both sides (flip after about 10 mins I think - I go by eye so I don't really remember the time). A little lemon juice over the top when serving and you've got yourself a very tasty side or lunch.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Any time I use my rice cooker for the rice, I end up with residue all over the surrounding area. The steam that escapes the glass lid is full of what I guess is starch. It covers everything. Rinsing it before going in the cooker would remove this problem, as well as reducing the boil over that also happens, right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Just add a little fat (butter or oil) to the pot.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The restaurant that Rainn Wilson works at in Super was a real diner called Joes Diner and it made the best sandwich in the world. It was a shrimpaletta; basically just sauteed shrimp and muffaletta olive mix on a bun. I was going to try to make one tonight but I feel like it will still need something. It may have also had lettuce and tomatoes? I don't remember cheese but it's possible. It's tough because it was years ago and I was drunk 99% of the time I ate there.

My question is, anyone have ideas for what would go well on a shrimp and olive mix sandwich?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Friend posted:

The restaurant that Rainn Wilson works at in Super was a real diner called Joes Diner and it made the best sandwich in the world. It was a shrimpaletta; basically just sauteed shrimp and muffaletta olive mix on a bun. I was going to try to make one tonight but I feel like it will still need something. It may have also had lettuce and tomatoes? I don't remember cheese but it's possible. It's tough because it was years ago and I was drunk 99% of the time I ate there.

My question is, anyone have ideas for what would go well on a shrimp and olive mix sandwich?

Roasted peppers maybe? Tomatoes sounds like a pretty good choice too.

Also I am absolutely getting my favorite diner to make that for me. They have shrimp, muffaletta olive spread, and buns.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why are you supposed to cut Chicago deep dish with a serrated knife instead of a pizza roller?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you mean pizza cutter? why would you use a pizza cutter on a casserole?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm sous viding chicken legs and want to finish them on the grill the next day to crisp the skin up a bit. Should I bring them to room temperature before grilling or put them on cold? Anything else to know?

if you leave the skin to open air overnight you're in for some delicious chicken skin

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why are you supposed to cut Chicago deep dish with a serrated knife instead of a pizza roller?

Because a pizza cutter can't get into the sharp corners of a deep dish casserole pan. Any Chicago-style pizza that can stand upright outside the pan may not be deep enough.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

As others have stated, it's the same reason you wouldn't use a pizza cutter on a cake or a lasagna. It doesn't have the right dexterity to get in there and carve out a serving.

I mean, you could, but you'd be knuckle deep in scalding hot liquid pizza, and you wouldn't be eating it either so, lose/lose.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
As others have stated, it's because Chicago style pizza is more of a casserole than a traditional pizza. The whole NYC vs Chicago style pizza debate is silly to me for that reason: sometimes I want flatbreadish pizza and sometimes I want casserole pizza. They're fundamentally different.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Pontius Pilate posted:

As others have stated, it's because Chicago style pizza is more of a casserole than a traditional pizza. The whole NYC vs Chicago style pizza debate is silly to me for that reason: sometimes I want flatbreadish pizza and sometimes I want casserole pizza. They're fundamentally different.

The main reason the NY/Chicago pizza debate seems silly to me is 95+% of the pizza consumed in Chicago looks like this:

Cracker thin and cut into squares. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago deep dish/stuffed pizza, but it's mostly a tourist/special occasion thing. I mean, could a city really live on pizzas that take nearly an hour to bake?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I dunno, are casseroles popular anywhere else?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You want to use keep around an old paring knife with a blunted tip. Sharp edge, but so the tip won't score the bottom of the pan too much. Good for all kinds of deep pies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chicago deep dish is a fine dish, but it isn't pizza. That's the whole thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yes if you call anything other than a marinara or a margherita a `pizza', verace pizza napoletana nuncios show up and kneecap you.

The proper terminology for these pizza-like excrescences is of course `pizza sandwich'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What is a pizza is something that can only confuse people on the internet, meanwhile any 8-year old can answer this question with 100% accuracy.