Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AriadneThread posted:

would nuclear winter counter-act global warming

No, it would just do the same thing but faster.

Also it's unlikely that nuclear winter would be as severe or widespread as people believe, most modern nuclear weapons aren't designed to ground burst and wouldn't kick up the kind of debris necessary for that.

The radiation would do a number on everything though, and water contamination would likely be catastrophic from even a small-scale exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

yes, I do, that's actually sort of my point. we've seen the exact same kind of rhetoric from all sides since the 50s, along with warnings that nuclear war was just around the corner. meanwhile, the EU and russia have progressively become more and more integrated economically, and the big scary war hasn't happened. which european country has an interest in starting a military confrontation with russia in your mind?

Which countries have gotten away with invading multiple foreign countries, intervening in other countries domestic policies continuously and effectively, and have generally been unaccountable. I can think of two... maybe three. They all have something in common.

You are acting like Russia hasn't been aggressive and provocative since the 50's but they have been and for some reason they suffer no consequences for their actions. Weird.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 9, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It's funny how quickly Kim Jong-Il escalated.

Trump: "blah blah fire and fury if we're threatened again"

Jong-Il: "lol we're gonna hit Guam"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Your Taint posted:

It's funny how quickly Kim Jong-Il escalated.

Trump: "blah blah fire and fury if we're threatened again"

Jong-Il: "lol we're gonna hit Guam"

Not least as he's dead.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Stairmaster posted:

Only temporarily, once the cooling period ended there'd be a period of rapid warming that would put the global temperature above what it currently is.

Then we just drop a large block of ice in the ocean every could years... solving the problem forever. FOREVER!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Your Taint posted:

What can he do? Congress has the power to declare war, but it hasn't done so since WWII. VIetnam, Iraq, Afghanistan have all been Presidential actions.

Ron Paul was right, declare war or don't do anything. This precedent has been set for a while now for this nitwit to do something without congress declaring war.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

botany posted:

says who? the EU has substantive energy deals with russia, and there is no political will to confront russia militarily in the EU.

Frankly I am not convinced the little EU did wasn't based largely on their obligations to Ukraine for giving up nuclear weapons, which is of course directly related to Russia having them.
It wasn't even clear for a while that France wouldn't go ahead with sales of helicopter carriers and a lot of tank parts to Russia despite what happened and them being a co-signer of Budapest Memorandum.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

Which countries have gotten away with invading multiple foreign countries, intervening in other countries domestic policies continuously and effectively, and generally been unaccountable.

I can think of two.

You are acting like Russia hasn't been aggressive since the 50's but they have been and for some reason they suffer no consequences for their actions. Weird.

when do you think economic integration between the EU and russia started, especially with respect to the energy sector? also my claim here is that there is no political will to risk a conflict with russia, even outside of nukes. i'm not sure how your point is disproving that.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

OddObserver posted:

Frankly I am not convinced the little EU did wasn't based largely on their obligations to Ukraine for giving up nuclear weapons, which is of course directly related to Russia having them.
It wasn't even clear for a while that France wouldn't go ahead with sales of helicopter carriers and a lot of tank parts to Russia despite what happened and them being a co-signer of Budapest Memorandum.

france and germany both get massive amounts of energy from russia. that has nothing to do with russian nukes and everything with their own energy economies.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

The missles are flying. Hallelujah. Hallelujah.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

botany posted:

france and germany both get massive amounts of energy from russia. that has nothing to do with russian nukes and everything with their own energy economies.

Relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream

Poland and other Eastern European countries were not happy with this.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

when do you think economic integration between the EU and russia started, especially with respect to the energy sector? also my claim here is that there is no political will to risk a conflict with russia, even outside of nukes. i'm not sure how your point is disproving that.

I'd have to go back and re-read how we got here because it's possible we're talking past one another. My point is that a nuclear NK dramatically changes how they interact on the peninsula and history is plentiful with examples of why, including Russia.

Economic ties only elevate the barriers to war, they don't prevent it. I'm also implying that in your argument that 'there is no political will' to fight a war with Russia in the EU, fundamental to that lack of will is an asymmetry in nuclear capabilities - including Russia's tactical nuclear stockpile and threats to deploy/employ.

E: I don't think I disagree with the main thrust of your point, just nit-picky items. Sorry man.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 9, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i keep getting this ad showing korea being attacked by aliens
seems in kind of poor taste right now

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if korea is allowed into the do-whatever-you-want-club it could be the end of the world. they will destabilize the middle east, destroy 3rd-world countries with free market capitalism and repeal obamacare

edit: and drone-strike weddings

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Enigma89 posted:

Relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream

Poland and other Eastern European countries were not happy with this.

yeah, that's one of the reasons the EU is very unhappy with the recent US sanctions against russia.

Boon posted:

I'd have to go back and re-read how we got here because it's possible we're talking past one another. My point is that a nuclear NK dramatically changes how they interact on the peninsula and history is plentiful with examples of why, including Russia.

yeah i get the feeling we're not really disagreeing here, this might just be a failure to communicate. sorry if i was unclear at any point.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

harry truman announces the bombing of hiroshima:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?294914-1/president-truman-speech-bombing-hiroshima

72 years ago and two days ago

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So...when can we expect another tweet from Trump that either presses forward or backs down on today's confrontation?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/cafedotcom/status/895024223244009474

Question only for people not approaching nervous breakdown, what do you want your wall shadow to look like?
Like the Pompeii guy, but actually masturbating.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Grouchio posted:

So...when can we expect another tweet from Trump that either presses forward or backs down on today's confrontation?

I'd have to look at the Fox News schedule

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Grouchio posted:

If he backs down it'll just be silence.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Grouchio posted:

Maybe a Tweet that mentions both North Korea and Rosie O'Donnell.

This is the President.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So this is at least the third time that everyone in this thread has been convinced that World War 3 was starting in a matter of hours. I'm sure it'll happen this time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump has whipped it out. He's not going to put it away.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

harry truman announces the bombing of hiroshima:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?294914-1/president-truman-speech-bombing-hiroshima

72 years ago and two days ago

Huh, and Trump is about that old. It only took a lifetime to forget such horror.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comstar posted:

As opposed to the nightmare scenario for the GOP where Trump won? We've already been there and done that in this timeline!

If he dosn't get impeached or dies from a heart attack, there's going to be serious Primary challengers in 2020. What's depressing is that we also saw in this timeline, MORE people vote for the Republican Party.

If there's a serious challenger to Trump, I'd consider voting for them in the primaries

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

The guy from the Apprentice with the weird hair should be president.

Apparently

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tir McDohl posted:

Huh, and Trump is about that old. It only took a lifetime to forget such horror.

In a few hours, it'll be 72 years since a fat man devastated Asia.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ponzicar posted:

So this is at least the third time that everyone in this thread has been convinced that World War 3 was starting in a matter of hours. I'm sure it'll happen this time.

im not convinced of anything, except that a north korea with nuclear missiles is bad and the sabre-rattling isn't helping the situation

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

In a few hours, it'll be 72 years since a fat man devastated Asia.

Boy, that's unsettling.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
We're going to nuclear war?

gently caress it. I'm drunker than an offensive Irish sterotype on St. Patrick's Day. If you're going to turn me into ash, do it now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/308404319030489088

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Covok posted:

We're going to nuclear war?

gently caress it. I'm drunker than an offensive Irish sterotype on St. Patrick's Day. If you're going to turn me into ash, do it now.

Yes.

Peace will be upon us soon, friend.

The circle will be unbroken.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just wanna point out that those poor fuckers in Guam don't get citizenship at birth and can't vote

they literally had no choice about this

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/06/05/american_samoa_the_only_place_in_the_u_s_where_citizenship_isn_t_granted.html

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I am not one to think we're going to nuclear war.

That said, I'm fairly sure that there will be at minimum a strike on North Korea before the year is out.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just wanna point out that those poor fuckers in Guam don't get citizenship at birth and can't vote

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/06/05/american_samoa_the_only_place_in_the_u_s_where_citizenship_isn_t_granted.html

guam isn't america samoa.

citizens of guam get u.s. citizenship at birth

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Boon posted:

I am not one to think we're going to nuclear war.

That said, I'm fairly sure that there will be at minimum a strike on North Korea before the year is out.

That would cause a nuclear war.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuoProQuid posted:

guam isn't america samoa? they get citizenship at birth

curse you for quoting me before I went back and edited my post to hide my stupidity

curse you and your lightning fingers

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They do get citizenship at birth though. Your link literally says so.

Look.

quote:

As my colleague Mark Joseph Stern explained recently, anyone born in the other four unincorporated U.S. territories—Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands—automatically becomes a citizen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What we really need is a President that tells it like it is and will run the country like a business! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stairmaster posted:

That would cause a nuclear war.

They'd certainly try, yes.

It's at a point right now where the US, strategically, has no options with its allies it is obligated to protect and as the months go by, there is less of a capability to do so.

• Locked thread