Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

silvergoose posted:

I believe it. I guess I can listen to some of those on wembley and showtime, storytime?

I got my 2.5 year old son to listen to bye bye beautiful and amaranth, and now he can say "nightwis!" so that's cool.

Yes actually.

Last of the Wilds and Amaranth are on Showtime, Storytime and 7 Days to the Wolves, The Poet and the Pendulum, Amaranth, and The Islander are all on Vehicle of Spirit (split between Wembly and Tempre)

Within Temptation was real good until.......The Heart of Everything. That album was just boring as hell to me, and way too poppy for my taste. Everything since has been further down the poppy route and I don't like it.

And yes I realize the irony of saying I enjoy Nightwish more than WT because WT got too "Poppy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it's my love of full on pure pop music that lets me enjoy the poppy symphonic metal bands to be honest. I can understand why a lot of people hate it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it's my love of full on pure pop music that lets me enjoy the poppy symphonic metal bands to be honest. I can understand why a lot of people hate it.

Which is funny because I don't outright hate pop music generally speaking. I find a lot of modern pop music terribly boring, but it's a genre that has spawned some really good albums over the years.

I'll give their later stuff a second chance, but I liked their early stuff because it felt a smidgen more serious and heavy than Nightwish tends to be.

But I have a weird thing with symphonic heavy metal/power metal, in that I embrace the cheese, but you gotta give me something to work with besides falsetto vocals and wheedly-wheedly guitar wankery and Dungeons and Dragons lyrics.

It's why I enjoy Blind Guardian but can't deal with Sonata Arctica.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lemme guess, you watch Eurovision for the spectacle but hate the ballads, like me? ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! I don't mind Eurovision ballads if they're at least somewhat rememberable or there's not like 8 in a row. A boring ballad can be saved with pyrotechnics or BUTTERFLY WINGS OUT OF loving NOWHERE though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

silvergoose posted:

With so much to listen to, I'm just listening to fuckin Dark Passion Play on repeat, I don't care who sings it I really like the songs. :(
Anette's voice is really nice and suits a lot of those songs really well. Just... not all of them, plus lol what stage presence. But yeah DPP is a great album overall.

I'd say the Tampere gig is the better one from Vehicle of Spirit, and it's also on Youtube in pretty good quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSYFGdru4U

The Wembley show is great too and does have Poet and the Pendulum and 7 Days to the Wolves though, so there's that.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only vocals I've ever disliked for Nightwish are the guitarists. Everyone else seems to love his voice, but ugh I can't stand it.
Bassist :eng101: And he's pretty great, shame he doesn't do it for you.
Also a reminder that Tuomas sang some leads on their debut album and, well, he stopped doing that for a good reason. :v:

EL BROMANCE posted:

E: within temptation are better and Sharon rules
No they aren't, but yeah she really does.

I used to love WT's older albums (Mother Earth and The Silent Force), but haven't listened to them in ages. I find most of their newer stuff boring as poo poo, but The Unforgiving is a loving fantastic pop metal album, energetic and fun and catchy as hell.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 3, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nordick posted:

Anette's voice is really nice and suits a lot of those songs really well. Just... not all of them, plus lol what stage presence. But yeah DPP is a great album overall.

I'd say the Tampere gig is the better one from Vehicle of Spirit, and it's also on Youtube in pretty good quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSYFGdru4U

The Wembley show is great too and does have Poet and the Pendulum and 7 Days to the Wolves though, so there's that.

Bassist :eng101: And he's pretty great, shame he doesn't do it for you.
Also a reminder that Tuomas sang some leads on their debut album and, well, he stopped doing that for a good reason. :v:

No they aren't, but yeah she really does.

I used to love WT's older albums (Mother Earth and The Silent Force), but haven't listened to them in ages. I find most of their newer stuff boring as poo poo, but The Unforgiving is a loving fantastic pop metal album, energetic and fun and catchy as hell.

I got lucky and managed to catch the Wembley show while it was up on Youtube for like...a day before it got yanked. VoS is a really good live package, as is Storytime but I still think the version of "Ghost Love Score" on Storytime is the best of the three live versions with Floor. She really fucks up that last high note in the Temepre show and it's clear she knows she hosed it up from her reaction. She went for it, and came up a bit short that night. Happens.

Marco's voice is pretty good, and I think he tends to sound a hell of a lot better on album than he does live, but he's got so much passion live that it makes up for it. Not like ICS Vortex who sounds amazing on album and then does a bunch of weird poo poo with his vocals live.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hi I heard you losers like Within Temptation

Here is the best video/song combinations ever just for you

https://youtu.be/iRWp9rhfS_0

(Thanks for all the recommendations they were aces)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vargatron posted:

I have a friend who is really into this but it's way too chaotic for my tastes.

I pity the fool who does not lie I:Gorr.

Actually, I always appreciated it because it made my severe ADHD episodes calm down, but now that I think about it that might not say anything about it's actual quality :pseudo:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tias posted:

I pity the fool who does not lie I:Gorr.

Actually, I always appreciated it because it made my severe ADHD episodes calm down, but now that I think about it that might not say anything about it's actual quality :pseudo:

https://youtu.be/KJUW0A1v79Y

This is the only Igorrr song I like but when I listen to it I replay it like 4-5 times. It's absolutely brilliant.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Dead Cross album is really good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ahh gently caress never mind I think Igorrr got the hooks in me

e: DOUBLE gently caress Spawn of Possession split up.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 4, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Dead Cross album is really good

I saw them before Mike was in the band and they were good. He makes them even better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
speaking of crosses tau cross released a new album a week or so ago.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

silvergoose posted:

I got my 2.5 year old son to listen to bye bye beautiful and amaranth, and now he can say "nightwis!" so that's cool.
My 2-year-old only listens to Raffi, but every time I put on Motörhead my 4-month-old looks at me like I just did a magic trick

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ahh gently caress never mind I think Igorrr got the hooks in me

I, too, learnt something today.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Igorr owns bones. If you like metal sampled as breakcore, you should definitely check out Bong-Ra as well, particularly the Full Metal Racket album( which I guess upon reviewing it is a comp of the 12s Grindkrusher and Sick! Sick! Sick!) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwC0g7AbHao

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

gently caress yeah

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Do you guys have any songs or albums that give you that little stab of fear or dread? Things that feel otherwordly and frightful? I was just listening to Dodecahedron and the section in this song made me feel quite spooked for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEBXt5iBx10

Forward to 3:20 to see what I mean.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

henpod posted:

Do you guys have any songs or albums that give you that little stab of fear or dread? Things that feel otherwordly and frightful? I was just listening to Dodecahedron and the section in this song made me feel quite spooked for some reason.

Sol Niger Within by Fredrik Thordendal (guitarist from Meshuggah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhSFATOhW0

It's really good but pretty horrifying

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, evidently Pyrrhon have a new album coming out this week.

https://pyrrhonband.bandcamp.com/album/what-passes-for-survival

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

henpod posted:

Burning Witch, give me a really uncomfortable, skin-crawling vibe when I listen to them.

Axis of Perdition are pretty unsettling too

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Bolt Thrower tribute comp from Cvlt Nation: https://cvltnation.bandcamp.com/album/bolt-thrower-in-battle-there-is-no-law-the-cvlt-nation-sessions

Tias
May 25, 2008

oh sweet zombie jesus gently caress yes

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Does Bolt Thrower really need a tribute album?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

We Know Catheters posted:

Yes

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

We Know Catheters posted:

Nah since all bands are inferior to Bolt Thrower.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A Djent Tribute To Bolt Thrower

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
an edm tribute to bolt thrower

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mikael Akerfeldt's Smooth Moves: a prog tribute to Bolt Thrower.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Muppets On PCP posted:

an edm tribute to bolt thrower

Pretty sure it was this thread where someone mentioned Bong Ra but here goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B0NuYbl-NU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"Bolts From Heaven, a Nightwish tribute to Bolt Thrower"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
in foetus there is no law: jim thirlwell re-interprets bolt thrower

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
a warmaster tribute to bolt thrower

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dream Theater: An Evening in the Trenches

im so sorry

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Power of the bolt: manowar plays bolt thrower

hyper from Pixie Sticks