Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Spent all goddamn day working on the Maverick, dremeling out the fan cutout on my aluminum radiator shroud to let me mount my fan just inside instead of the outside because i've got only 2.75 loving inches of clearance from the rad fins to the bolts on the water pump pulley.

Definitely feels like a huge improvement over just having the fan mounted directly on the radiator, even though I'd still like to be able to get something that can pull more air than literally the slimmest 16" fan they make. This one only has to last until I put a 302 in there anyway, right? :getin:

Now I just have to clean her up for the car show tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I installed weathertech visors, seat belt pads, and changed the oil at 500 miles :shrug: I'm way lamer than you guys

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

so ive been loving around with a terrible 98 k1500 lately, and i am working on changing the fuel tank and pump. in case anyone was wondering, dropping the tank is way easier than lifting the bed. almost gave up when i couldnt get the fuel lines to let go, then i realized i could just snap the nozzles off the pump. lucky me

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Detailed it yesterday and put in new H1/H4s instead of sealed beams.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

violentlycitrus posted:

so ive been loving around with a terrible 98 k1500 lately, and i am working on changing the fuel tank and pump. in case anyone was wondering, dropping the tank is way easier than lifting the bed. almost gave up when i couldnt get the fuel lines to let go, then i realized i could just snap the nozzles off the pump. lucky me

I've heard the opposite, that just unfolding the bed and tipping it backwards was much easier.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I've heard the opposite, that just unfolding the bed and tipping it backwards was much easier.

i must admit i have never tried the bed tip but ive watched some youtube videos and taking off the bumper, disconnecting everything, loosening and removing a couple bed bolts. just seemed like a huge hassle. if i hadnt needed to replace the tank i would have cut a whole in the bed like a civilized person.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Washed it :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

This works out awesome until the captive nuts (it's like a nut-sert on the next gen 2000s era) just start spinning in their little fixtures. This led to me cutting 2 of the bolts, pulling the bed, cutting out the nuts and welding in new ones. I'm sure my neighbors in my suburban area were thrilled about a truck without a bed on it sitting in the driveway for a week. :v:

Also if you have less than 4 people, pulling the bed is loving tough. We managed with 3 but everybody needed a beer afterwards because that bastard is heavy and oddly balanced with <4.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Replaced the idler pulley on my '95 Corolla. Kind of a pain in the rear end, since there's roughly 2 inches of space to work within. But, no more metal squealing sound, yaaaaaaay.
The running light/gauge light fuse kept blowing, and I cleaned some of the bulb contacts, replaced the new fuse and the lights work, yaaaaaaay.
However, the other night, just after switching my lights on, I saw a small flame and smelled the instant death of my stereo. Lights still work though, so I'm calling it passable, yaaaaaaaay!
Radio and AC are luxuries anyway. Yeah.

Forkstabber
Aug 2, 2017

Just picked up some BBS RSII for the E46. Need to swap the pads out on the S14 track car for a track night in america deal at PIR this coming friday too

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Spent a few hours at the wrecking yard liberating an earlier oil pressure gauge for my Crown Vic (to convert it to an actual gauge rather than an analog idiot light), a couple of Homelink modules to add that to the CV, and an Explorer overhead console module to install in my overhead console (because the CV module only does compass - CVs equipped with the console always had the automatic air, which displayed temp on the AC head - while the Explorer unit fits in the same housing, but has outside temp as well as the compass.) Also picked up the window sweeper/trim for the driver's door, since mine acquired a ding and scratch somewhere prior to my ownership.
Bonus prize was a Ford aftermarket radio wiring harness adapter.
I really love wrecking yards. Unfortunately, it's hot, making the scrounging somewhat less fun, and my favorite yard appears to have crushed the dozen or so P71 CVs they had.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Got some satisfaction. Ft. Wayne Clutch called and explained how the previous re-builder screwed me. Clutch is back in working order and on it's way home. It might even be the first part to go ON the truck since parts started coming OFF.

Also my bench seat is re-upholstered so I can pick that up! Motivation and momentum are building.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I jacked up the ole 300C and put brakes all the way around it. They weren't worn, but there was a ton of brake dust and they squeaked at low speed. Since I got Bosch pads from Amazon for $40, I just decided to change them. I also installed LED headlights in both the high and low beams. I got Auxbeam. They're pretty bright. Let's see how they hold up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Aren't aftermarket LEDs almost always utter poo poo for both the user and oncoming traffic?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Aren't aftermarket LEDs almost always utter poo poo for both the user and oncoming traffic?

It depends on how much of the stock headlight lens and reflector they replace. If you just stick an LED bulb into a halogen reflector, it's going to be complete poo poo, yes. But if you have a proper LED projector assembly that replaces all the guts of your old headlights, it's probably pretty ok. Although I suspect auxbeam is going to be more of the former.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aiA1cQsRs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those definitely look like a reflector housing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

According to the videos and articles I've seen so far, they are bright, up close, but halogens typically have a longer reach. As has been said, probably depends on reflector, and how the LED is designed. It's tough to get an LED to mimic the dispersion pattern of an incandescent.

edit: I think this is one of the vids I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ck2Lsfn9fw

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

According to the videos and articles I've seen so far, they are bright, up close, but halogens typically have a longer reach. As has been said, probably depends on reflector, and how the LED is designed. It's tough to get an LED to mimic the dispersion pattern of an incandescent.

edit: I think this is one of the vids I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ck2Lsfn9fw

From what I've seen, they aren't all dispersed like in the video. Mine still have a defined cutoff. The high beams lit up the stop sign at the end of my road from a long, long distance away. I need new housings anyway, as the lenses have some oxidation that I couldn't polish out. I had a bulb burn out, and at a few bucks cheaper, I thought I'd try LED.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EvilBeard posted:

From what I've seen, they aren't all dispersed like in the video. Mine still have a defined cutoff. The high beams lit up the stop sign at the end of my road from a long, long distance away. I need new housings anyway, as the lenses have some oxidation that I couldn't polish out. I had a bulb burn out, and at a few bucks cheaper, I thought I'd try LED.

Are the cutoffs bowing, or is that just a trick of the eye from how uneven your garage door is? If they're not straight, I'd be concerned about what the light pattern is shaped like at the edges, because that is about where oncoming lanes would end up. Still, the pattern is better than I was expecting. What's it look like from 25-30 feet away?

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

dude i put some auxbeams off amazon into my truck and i had to take them out, theres no way i wasnt blinding people

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also cutoff at 2' away is a poor indication of beam pattern. I can't imagine any way a retrofit LED bulb is going to be any better than a retrofit HID.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Are the cutoffs bowing, or is that just a trick of the eye from how uneven your garage door is? If they're not straight, I'd be concerned about what the light pattern is shaped like at the edges, because that is about where oncoming lanes would end up. Still, the pattern is better than I was expecting. What's it look like from 25-30 feet away?

It's just my lovely garage door. I have a new metal one to put up, but it's down on the list of things to do.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I put some allegedly DOT certified LED headlights (full sealed beam replacements) in, thought I had them adjusted right, and got flashed a few times and then pulled over on my way home. They weren't a total loss, they make great work lamps, but I took them out before driving the truck after dark again.

My cutoff looked about like yours on the hangar door. Hell maybe even a bit sharper. There's a surprising amount of light above the cutoff and to the sides that you don't notice and oncoming traffic is going to hate your rear end for.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

It's just my lovely garage door. I have a new metal one to put up, but it's down on the list of things to do.

bro im not going to beat up on you because as i said i bought auxbeam led replacements and all i can say is get in another car and park it 10 15 feet away in front of yours and see if you think the pattern and the brightness are ok.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
S2000 has felt a little bit rough at idle with the AC off for a few weeks now so I figured an ignition coil was on its way out (163k on the car). One finally died on the freeway today, but I made it home fine. Picked up a Autozone coil for $58 bucks, it was an OE Denso. All is well.

My Urge vented rear rotors come this week and I've got a short trackday Saturday. Feels good, man.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

violentlycitrus posted:

bro im not going to beat up on you because as i said i bought auxbeam led replacements and all i can say is get in another car and park it 10 15 feet away in front of yours and see if you think the pattern and the brightness are ok.

Standing and sitting in a car 20 to 30 feet from it, they're bright, but not like "shining directly into your eyes" bright. If you're not staring directly at the lights from that distance, they're fine. They're also super white (like the color), so they seem a little more robust than they are.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Installed my Sony XAV AX100 in my Outback and didn't break anything. Spent last night banging my head against the wall wondering why the factory amp wasn't turning on; I was worried that I had burnt something out or broken something. Slept on it and called Crutchfield this morning: turns out there's a pink wire on one of the secondary plugs that needed to be hanging off the blue-white pair. Easy as hell to fix, Crutchfield support is awesome; longest part was the 5 minute hold.

Now I gotta wait for another wiring harness adapter, because I want my steering wheel controls back. I wasn't able to make my own pins to reach the factory harness through the adapter, and I didn't feel like cutting the factory harness in case I was wrong.

Otherwise the project worked fantastic. Crutchfield support kicks rear end, support them.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Today was maintenance day on the wife's E70 xDrive4.8i

Started with an oil change, that went fine.
Then I decided to swap out the water pump pulley that I damaged when I did the coolant pipe pro-active fix last March, and discovered that bav-autosport sent me the wrong pulley way back when.
Fine, let's figure out why the left rear tire intermittently loses air...oh, that's why.

drat these things are big - size 11 foot for ref.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I swear every X I've ever seen had what looked like ridiculous negative camber on the rear. Looks like yours does, too, judging from the tire wear.

Edit: never mind, I'm an idiot who should learn how to read model names.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 9, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

I swear every X I've ever seen had what looked like ridiculous negative camber on the rear. Looks like yours does, too, judging from the tire wear.

Edit: never mind, I'm an idiot who should learn how to read model names.

I was worried that there was an issue with the auto-leveling rear suspension or air bags or something. But reading through bimmer forums it sounds like "it's a feature not a bug!". Both sides are doing it, this side just a little worse. New tires getting purchased tonight.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
warshed him and used some detail spray for the water spots. Yeah it's a shade picture and kinda cheating

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Tank and fuel pump changed 2 days ago, repaired some fuel line, flushed my coolant and replaced some sensors today

e: one tank, of gas

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Vented two piece rear rotors for the S2000. Cut down on cracking rotors and help front pad life.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I removed the leaking AC Delco battery and experienced some deja-vu when I saw what it had done to the battery tray:

So, I cleaned, prepped and repainted the battery tray for the SECOND TIME IN 4 YEARS.

Then there's the old terminals, one of which finally gave way during disassembly:

Horrible potato pic of the new Optima red top, new terminal ends with color-coded insulator washers, and a new OEM battery cover that nearly fits well enough:

I almost regret not getting a yellow top just to go along with the color scheme of the washer/coolant bottle caps and the dipstick handle, maybe next time:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 12, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And installed. Ready for a trackday tomorrow

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
I started tearing down a recently-rebuilT engine I bought (admittedly for like 30% of the parts cost alone), only to find that someone used red RTV to seal the bedplate and oil pump.

Sloppy fuckin' disaster, especially considering that it'll degrade with oil contact. And since RTV doesn't flatten out like the proper sealant, there's absolutely no telling what the main bearing clearances really are. No wonder the same individual used a Fram filter with a cardboard pressure plate.

SPLIT MY BLOCK INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT
BEARINGS hosed, NO SEALING
DON'T GIVE A gently caress IF I CUT MY ARM KNEELING

:shepspends:

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 12, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on the way back down the rebuild mountain. After a week stopped dead in the water because of a 5-cent screen (only available pressed into a $200 assembly) I have my timing chains back together! I need to double check my valve clearances and then I should be ready to reinstall the covers and think about returning it to the chassis.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I might even have a functioning Subaru by next weekend....

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monsterzero posted:

I'm on the way back down the rebuild mountain. After a week stopped dead in the water because of a 5-cent screen (only available pressed into a $200 assembly) I have my timing chains back together! I need to double check my valve clearances and then I should be ready to reinstall the covers and think about returning it to the chassis.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I might even have a functioning Subaru by next weekend....

So does this outdo the Audi rear timing chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

So does this outdo the Audi rear timing chain?

Oh, gently caress no. I'm not AI enough to go German. Those Audis have like 5 chains or something evil. By comparison this is EZ30D