Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cargo culture fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

The Management posted:

during a phone interview you often have people googling for the answer while they are talking. or they will have a friend listening in and telling them the answers or looking them up.

if this actually happens, then wouldn't it also happen in other industries? have you ever heard of a doctor having another doctor tell him the answers during a phine interview? an accountant being told the answers by another accountant? a plumber with another plumber telling the answers to a plumber taking a phone interview?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

School of How posted:

if this actually happens, then wouldn't it also happen in other industries? have you ever heard of a doctor having another doctor tell him the answers during a phine interview? an accountant being told the answers by another accountant? a plumber with another plumber telling the answers to a plumber taking a phone interview?

i can confirm it happens with accountants
source: in-law is a CPA

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFy6QKvv-BI

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Shaman Linavi posted:

i can confirm it happens with accountants
source: in-law is a CPA

i don't believe it

the concept of another more knowlegable sneaking answers to the candidate during the interview is something from a cartoon, not real life.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

it's still a fuckin retarded thing to spend time worrying about, and a giant redflag if some business accidentally hires a lot of incompetent cheaters

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Pro click.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Phone interviews should only be cursory tech screens, and the questions should be good enough that they can't just be googled in 5 second.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

likewise, if someone has been doing something for years then talk to them about that, trying to catch people out with a quiz or asking what an acronym means is bullshit. it's also a good indication that nobody already in the company will have a clue about the thing they are hiring for, and won't be able to appraise you in a meaningful way

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

standard yospos hottake that anything good must actually be bad

companies with dress codes that don't get in the way of actual work getting done are great

companies that feel the need to emphasize this when pitching themselves are kind of worrisome

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah why would a company want to point out they don't plan on treating you like a literal schoolchild :confused:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yeah why would a company want to point out they don't plan on treating you like a literal schoolchild :confused:

if you're customer facing there are expectations depending on industry

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol if you give a gently caress what they're wearing as long as they aren't naked or sporting some offensive slogans on their poo poo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

if you're customer facing there are expectations depending on industry

when my aunt's brother got a job in the tech-side of a big wall street firm the employee handbook made it sound like he would have to buy a closet full of suits and dress super-sharp every day. when he actually started it turned out that the tech people were pretty casual (by wall street standards at least) and it was only the client-facing people who needed to dress-to-impress every day (because it's easier to bilk people out of money in a suit).

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

when my aunt's brother

soooo... your dad?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mod saas posted:

soooo... your dad?

no, his parent's brother's wife's brother

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
got the job :toot:

hopefully figgies are in my future

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:yotj:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
:yotj:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Got a weird question in a F2F interview today. The guy gave a situation of 4 threads (no specific code) in parallel but one of them has low priority, and he asked "what happens to the low priority thread?" and that was it. I didn't really understand what he meant by "what happens", but my first thoughts were that it depends on the CPU i.e how many cores it has, what the scheduling algorithm is like, maybe it gets switched out more often or maybe it yields every time the other threads want the core, etc. But the guy didn't seem satisfied so I asked him to clarify what exactly he meant by "what happens" and he simply restated the original question. Does this make sense to anyone? When I said I didn't completely understand what he was asking me, he was like "okay, it's no problem" and then left it there. Is this a bad question, or was there something I'm missing? I promise I'm not leaving out any information.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 8, 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

qhat posted:

Got a weird question in a F2F interview today. The guy gave a situation of 4 threads (no specific code) in parallel but one of them has low priority, and he asked "what happens to the low priority thread?" and that was it. I didn't really understand what he meant by "what happens", but my first thoughts were that depends on the CPU i.e how many cores it has, what its scheduling algorithm is like, maybe it gets switched out more often or maybe it yields every time the other threads want the core, etc. But the guy didn't seem satisfied so I asked him to clarify what exactly he meant by "what happens" and he simply restated the original question. Does this make sense to anyone? When I said I didn't completely understand what he was asking me, he was like "okay, it's no problem" and then left it there. Is this a bad question, or was there something I'm missing? I promise I'm not leaving out any information.

sounds like a poo poo interviewer to me

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Ploft-shell crab posted:

got the job :toot:

hopefully figgies are in my future

qhat posted:

Got a weird question in a F2F interview today. The guy gave a situation of 4 threads (no specific code) in parallel but one of them has low priority, and he asked "what happens to the low priority thread?" and that was it. I didn't really understand what he meant by "what happens", but my first thoughts were that it depends on the CPU i.e how many cores it has, what the scheduling algorithm is like, maybe it gets switched out more often or maybe it yields every time the other threads want the core, etc. But the guy didn't seem satisfied so I asked him to clarify what exactly he meant by "what happens" and he simply restated the original question. Does this make sense to anyone? When I said I didn't completely understand what he was asking me, he was like "okay, it's no problem" and then left it there. Is this a bad question, or was there something I'm missing? I promise I'm not leaving out any information.

That's weird. Like no additional information about architecture or capacity of the system they ran on ?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jre posted:

That's weird. Like no additional information about architecture or capacity of the system they ran on ?

Literally nothing. I don't know whether he actually understood his own question, but I didn't see how it could be answered without some knowledge of at least the scheduling algorithm being used.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I also got asked to implement strcpy. That was the first in a long time lol.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

thanks to the twitter lisp greybeard community i have an interview tomorrow

the interview is a "low pressure" hour of pair programming in rails with two of their engineers

i have never used rails but the email said "make sure you have rails installed and can run these commands" so

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Have you tried googling the exact phrasing he asked you ? Probably comes from a list of interview questions and they are missing the detail you need to answer it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jre posted:

Have you tried googling the exact phrasing he asked you ? Probably comes from a list of interview questions and they are missing the detail you need to answer it

Yeah but sadly it's too generic of a question. I wish I could say he gave more details, but he honestly didn't. He even drew a picture on the whiteboard of 4 bars each representing a thread and one of them shorter than the others, representing the lower priority thread, and then just repeated "so what happens to this low priority thread?". I explained very courteously that I didn't understand exactly what I was being asked, but he seemed quick to give up :shrug:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qhat posted:

Yeah but sadly it's too generic of a question. I wish I could say he gave more details, but he honestly didn't. He even drew a picture on the whiteboard of 4 bars each representing a thread and one of them shorter than the others, representing the lower priority thread, and then just repeated "so what happens to this low priority thread?". I explained very courteously that I didn't understand exactly what I was being asked, but he seemed quick to give up :shrug:

Luckily I've got hold of video footage from that interview

( s/lights/threads/ )

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

thanks to the twitter lisp greybeard community i have an interview tomorrow

the interview is a "low pressure" hour of pair programming in rails with two of their engineers

i have never used rails but the email said "make sure you have rails installed and can run these commands" so

I've done one of these interviews in the past and you'd think it'd be good and useful, but honestly it loving sucks. It's never low pressure, especially when there's some stranger looking over your shoulder waiting to jump down your throat at every opportunity.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Probably just trying to get you to talk about what a scheduling algorithm might do, where it lives, what it considers, etc.

poo poo interviewer tho

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Probably just trying to get you to talk about what a scheduling algorithm might do, where it lives, what it considers, etc.

poo poo interviewer tho

Maybe! I did try to talk about that and how the question on its own doesn't really make sense unless you know how many cores the CPU has and what the algorithm is like, but I wasn't getting any vibes that I was on the right track and in the end he just went back to the original question anyway. Oh well. At least I got to reason with myself about something I've literally never needed to be intimately familiar with.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qhat posted:

it's entirely dependent on the operating system's scheduler. the question as posed is ill formed and you shouldn't feel bad about saying so.

there isn't even a guarantee that the low priority thread gets pre-empted before it's able to finish execution.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Well, was the answer that it runs?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qhat posted:

The guy gave a situation of 4 threads in parallel but one of them has low priority, and he asked "what happens to the low priority thread?"
It fixes the cable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i had an interview once where they had somebody watching remotely but didn't mention it until i noticed the ptz camera spin round because someone hosed up the far-end control. they acted like i'd caught them out or some poo poo, would have been a lot less weird all round to just put the far end up on the screen and introduce them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if youre incapable of putting on a suit every once in a while

do you also show up to your interview smelling like cheese or do you manage to shower on those days

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

lol if youre incapable of putting on a suit every once in a while

do you also show up to your interview smelling like cheese or do you manage to shower on those days

it's called smegma and it's protected medical information mister

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i wore a sport jacket with blue jeans and a bow tie to my last interview and killed it

the talent manager insisted i wear a bow tie to my first day.

I have never worn a bow tie there again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Arcsech posted:

sounds like a poo poo interviewer to me

yep, poo poo interviewer.

now, there are some interviewers that are poo poo, or are assholes, or are thinking of the smug solution to the problem that they looked up and you will never figure out. sometimes it's just a losing proposition. but other times they're just bad and you have to jump in and try to save it.

it seems like you tried, but he wasn't working with you. but you can't give up. sometimes you have to extract requirements from people against their will. so keep talking. write down the question and all other knowns on the board.
"there are four threads. 3 normal priority, one low priority".
"what happens to the low priority thread?"

start making and stating your assumptions.
"assuming we are on a preemptive multitasking OS"
"assuming the threads are not dependent on each other to run"

then draw some conclusions.
"the low priority thread could starve. in some schedulers, the low priority thread would not get to run as long as there are at least as many runnable normal priority threads as there are computing resources. if some of them block and free a CPU, that thread would get scheduled."

then start qualifying it with more cores, smarter schedulers that prevent starvation with dynamic priorities. then get into priority inversion, deadlocks, and priority inheritance. basically carry the interview by revealing how you're aware of all of the issues that his idiotic question implies.

or you could stand there holding your dick.

• Locked thread