Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I was blind-sided by the Dragon-user anime character

I wonder if he's from Tandor...

If anyone is supposed to represent "rando challenger" it's gotta be this guy. He is mentioned nowhere else in the game and doesn't even show up somewhere in the post game like Kahili does in her hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

krisslanza posted:

The fact they said "~ = Uguu" annoys me. A 'tilde' in the sense of a word shouldn't be a word replacement. If you want her to say "Uguu~" just have her say Uguu~. A tilde is meant to indicate, usually, some kind of inflection or sort. It's a modifier of the way you say something, not a substitute for a word! ARGH! :psyduck:

That aside, this League idea isn't... bad, actually.
Don't forget that the dev said "~" was pronounced "Uguu~".

So every time that character has a ~ at the end of their sentence or whatever, it means that it ends with "UguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguu" off to infinity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zereth posted:

Don't forget that the dev said "~" was pronounced "Uguu~".

So every time that character has a ~ at the end of their sentence or whatever, it means that it ends with "UguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguuUguu" off to infinity.

That's literally exactly what the guy is talking about and saying.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

If anyone is supposed to represent "rando challenger" it's gotta be this guy. He is mentioned nowhere else in the game and doesn't even show up somewhere in the post game like Kahili does in her hotel.

He's there to fill the Dragon-user spot, since Sun and Moon have a character for every type (except Ice for some reason). That said, he still comes straight out of nowhere, yeah.

Also I think the tournament idea is very cool and I like the stadium area, but using generics as the forced fights is lame. Having old characters reappear is pretty cool, but you should have someone else than the Gym Leaders. Maybe characters you meet in the story but you don't get to fight, maybe other important named characters that aren't Leaders. I'm not sure how I feel about it being randomized, I guess it's neat for catching you off-guard but I feel the first time at least should have specific opponents, like how you forcefully fight Kukui the first time in Sun and Moon but then you have a bunch of possible random final opponents.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always thought tildes were used as a way to convey a flirty or a sing-song sort of tone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Day 100: The anime girl is still cooing at me like a small child. She does not sleep, she does not eat, she does not stop for breath. Some days I fear that she will never stop. Other days I fear what will happen when she does.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've actually had the same idea for a tournament structure, but that was always in lead up to the E4, and would feature your actual rivals/important NPCs that you directly interacted with or inspired. I don't hate this. I hate the actual implementation but I don't hate this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SSNeoman posted:

I always thought tildes were used as a way to convey a flirty or a sing-song sort of tone.

That's the general use. This is the weeaboo use.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

No, no. The quote you posted is saying since the second half has a tilde at the end, too, it's recursive. It is not a single "uguu", but infinite loops on itself. Uguuuguuuguuuguu.

Kurieg posted:

Day 100: The anime girl is still cooing at me like a small child. She does not sleep, she does not eat, she does not stop for breath. Some days I fear that she will never stop. Other days I fear what will happen when she does.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's there to fill the Dragon-user spot, since Sun and Moon have a character for every type (except Ice for some reason). That said, he still comes straight out of nowhere, yeah.

Also I think the tournament idea is very cool and I like the stadium area, but using generics as the forced fights is lame. Having old characters reappear is pretty cool, but you should have someone else than the Gym Leaders. Maybe characters you meet in the story but you don't get to fight, maybe other important named characters that aren't Leaders. I'm not sure how I feel about it being randomized, I guess it's neat for catching you off-guard but I feel the first time at least should have specific opponents, like how you forcefully fight Kukui the first time in Sun and Moon but then you have a bunch of possible random final opponents.

Sun and Moon pretty much had the best version so far of a "random" end game fights.

It is also indeed very odd that there's absolutely no intended Ice representative in S/M. Maybe that's because Ice is a pretty pitiful type, defensively and, like Dragon types, mostly don't show up until the latter part of the mid game or in the late game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Given that he specifically mentions that he's from another region, without naming that region, I'm fairly certain that Ryuki is intended as light foreshadowing of the next generation's region, the way the Strange Souvenir from X and Y foreshadowed Alola (or, more precisely, that the next region would be inspired by Hawaii/Pacific Islands).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EclecticTastes posted:

Given that he specifically mentions that he's from another region, without naming that region, I'm fairly certain that Ryuki is intended as light foreshadowing of the next generation's region, the way the Strange Souvenir from X and Y foreshadowed Alola (or, more precisely, that the next region would be inspired by Hawaii/Pacific Islands).

So Gen 8 will take place in a region with wandering Dragon Master Rock Stars?

I'm on board.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The actual way to pronouce a tilde is the way this person says at around 11:34 in this The F Plus episode: https://thefpl.us/episode/220

:nws: for crude content

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 9, 2017

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If nothing else I quite like the Elite Battle theme. One of the better songs from this soundtrack for sure.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what saying "OOGOO~" at the end of every line is meant to sound like. Which character is this supposed to be referencing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what saying "OOGOO~" at the end of every line is meant to sound like. Which character is this supposed to be referencing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM34G59lBU4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been a long itme but I think the plot twist to that character's arc is that she's a ghost

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

One possibility is Maria from Umineko, but then again Umineko is much better than this and so her habit of saying "uguu~" is actually meaningful. (And unfortunate, given Umineko. :() Honestly cheetah7071's idea sounds more on-the-nose given how shallow this game's themes have been.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Choice Band-boosted Outrages from a Tracton are scary, but thankfully this thing only has level-up moves instead of having Drill Run as coverage.

It knows Lock-On and is holding a Choice Band.

How the gently caress do you miss that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

the Orb of Zot posted:

It knows Lock-On and is holding a Choice Band.

How the gently caress do you miss that.

And Discharge! :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NGDBSS posted:

One possibility is Maria from Umineko, but then again Umineko is much better than this and so her habit of saying "uguu~" is actually meaningful. (And unfortunate, given Umineko. :() Honestly cheetah7071's idea sounds more on-the-nose given how shallow this game's themes have been.

Maria says "uuuuu" not "uguuu" like Ayu.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
uguu is also a meme about weird anime poo poo from around the era kanon was airing I think

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Some Numbers posted:

And Discharge! :v:

At least Discharge does damage, even if it's the wrong stat. :v:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Like I said, a tilde is a modifier for a word. It's either an elognator, or to indicate a sort of flirty/sing-song tone. It is, in no stretch of reason, meant to be a replacement for a word.
That's like saying that they can say that "! actually means ALERT whenever you see it!" or something stupid. It's not a word replacement/substitute, it's a freakin' modifier, ARGH!
For all the bad game design, the horrible abuse to language from that single dev comment has annoyed me far more. It wasn't like that particular text box didn't have room to just type out "uguu~".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm still really confused why we have two generic trainers here? Could we not just have 4 randomized battles instead, so we can see more of the different trainers? Again, S/M had the Youngster as a possible challenger, but he was one of many and it was randomized. Here, you always have to fight these two losers who don't even have unique sprite before getting to the fights you care about? Well, "care" about, but still.

yea it'd be interesting if they were all random. or like their positions were set but you got a different seed in the tournament each run. that'd be a lot of trainers to account for tho I guess

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Omnicrom posted:

I'm on board.

Yeah, I mean the visuals aren't as easily-interpreted as they were with the Strange Souvenir, but I'm guessing Gen 8 (apologies in advance for the self-indulgent theorycrafting) is going back to a Japanese theme (given that "Ryuki" is an unmistakably Japanese name), but instead of dealing with broad regions of the country (the first four gens pretty much covered the whole nation), it's going to be based more on the 23 special wards of Tokyo and New York City's burroughs (this is mostly a guess based on Ryuki being a big-city rock star). This would be really interesting for a number of reasons, and it'll be fun to see how they take the basic idea of the other lovely Pokemon fangame being LPed, Reborn, and do it infinitely better.

It also makes some sense, as the Tokyo metropolitan area has the highest population of any metropolitan area in the world, and a quarter of Japan's population lives there. Even outside of Tokyo, there are hundreds of millions of people across the globe who spend all of their everyday lives in closely-connected urban and suburban areas. Adapting that kind of life experience to a Pokemon adventure seems like the sort of thing they've gotta try eventually.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Re: Uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~: Guys, it was a joke. Take it from me, as a guy who's positively steeped in this weeaboo anime poo poo. I barely go a day without seeing some anime person, and I can tell you it's absolutely an elongator. The dev was making a joke that any other weeaboo would get. No fault of you Normal People that you didn't get it, but there's no reason to go banging the war drums just yet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, it was a bad joke and they should feel bad. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

KataraniSword posted:

Well, it was a bad game and they should feel bad. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Well, it was a bad joke and they should feel bad. :colbert:

What are you talking about? Uranium has stellar humor in it!

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
I have but one response to give.

~

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Omnicrom posted:

I'm on board.
I wonder if Roxie (Black/White 2's Poison-type Gym Leader) or Jimmy and his Pikachu (XY115) will show up

Honestly, who needs random poorly written/designed original characters in a fangame when there's literally hundreds of Characters of the Day to pick and choose from?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Is that pikachu throwing up the horns?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Is that pikachu throwing up the horns?

Instead of Horde Encounters gen 8 will introduce Mosh Encounters.

You can't issue commands until The Pit is cleared.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pokémusou.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

Pokémusou.

They came so close to doing this but went with the wrong one of Koei's Three Kingdoms settings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blue Labrador posted:

Instead of Horde Encounters gen 8 will introduce Mosh Encounters.

You can't issue commands until The Pit is cleared.
The evil team is a bunch of moral busybodies who think rock music is of the devil.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Haifisch posted:

The evil team is a bunch of moral busybodies who think rock music is of the devil.

SOCCERMOM GRUNT would like to battle

Their gimmick is they spend half of their turns using defense up items and all their pokemon are equipped with things like Assault Vest

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

krisslanza posted:

The fact they said "~ = Uguu" annoys me. A 'tilde' in the sense of a word shouldn't be a word replacement. If you want her to say "Uguu~" just have her say Uguu~. A tilde is meant to indicate, usually, some kind of inflection or sort. It's a modifier of the way you say something, not a substitute for a word! ARGH! :psyduck:

That aside, this League idea isn't... bad, actually.

Using a tilde as punctuation should be punishable by having all your fingers broken, if not death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Using a tilde as punctuation should be punishable by having all your bones broken to death

• Locked thread