Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rai's yearbook was a great primer for Valiant's current continuity, but it was marketed as having some sort of secret or revelation. Add to that the original Rai #0 dropped bombshells and there was a lot of expectation to live up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

So uh, is Britannia going to end like an episode of Scooby Doo or what? Enjoying it more than the first arc, now that the players have been introduced.

Secret Weapons is exactly as good as Valiant has been hyping it to be, please stay this good for the whole run.

Kindt is doing more for X-O and Shadowman (via Rapture) than I ever thought possible.

If Faith & Future Force and renewed Quantum & Woody work out, this will be another golden year for Valiant, to say nothing of Divinity/Eternity...

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The last year wasn't great, but I certainly think they are back on the right track.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read through Valiant High just now. So great. I want it in a print format.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate Cary Nord's X-O Manowar

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I liked the new Faith issue, it tackled a hilarious issue with time travel

Also looks like poo poo's about to get real in XO

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hoooooly poo poo. I never expected this kind of stuff from Valiant but I am so on board.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/07/exclusive-valiant-comics-preview-matt-kindt-eternity.html

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Hoooooly poo poo. I never expected this kind of stuff from Valiant but I am so on board.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/07/exclusive-valiant-comics-preview-matt-kindt-eternity.html

That looks like Brandon Graham stuff. And that is extremely my poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I desperately need this

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So when's that Ninjak web show supposed to be coming out?

X-O posted:

:captainpop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Wrap is reporting that The Russo Brothers are looking at Joel McHale to play Woody in the Quantum and Woody show. Which is just about as perfect casting as you can get.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Speaking of casting, Batista wants to star in the Eternal Warrior movie, which would be kind of funny knowing that the two live-action versions of the character have wrestled each other.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress are these Marvel dudes like the Russos and Batista doing all this Valiant stuff? Wouldn't it be great if the non compete was DC only.

Not that I'm complaining I would love some great Valiant films.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marvel doesn't have a non-compete and doesn't care what other movies they do. Now, if Chris Evans was cast as Turok or whatever, well we'd see how true that is, but Feige has said Marvel doesn't care.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Marvel doesn't have a non-compete and doesn't care what other movies they do. Now, if Chris Evans was cast as Turok or whatever, well we'd see how true that is, but Feige has said Marvel doesn't care.

That is... actually cool and good for the modern media environment?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

algebra testes posted:

That is... actually cool and good for the modern media environment?

It is, but Marvel has the luxury of being the king and in a current can-do-no-wrong phase. Or maybe they recognize that a healthy comic book movie environment where many studios are delivering quality superhero movies benefits them way more than it hurts them. Before Iron Man it was axiomatic that comic book movies sucked.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

zoux posted:

It is, but Marvel has the luxury of being the king and in a current can-do-no-wrong phase. Or maybe they recognize that a healthy comic book movie environment where many studios are delivering quality superhero movies benefits them way more than it hurts them. Before Iron Man it was axiomatic that comic book movies sucked.

to be fair, Batman Begins came out in '05

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

to be fair, Batman Begins came out in '05

There were exceptions for sure, but before the MCU the vast preponderance of movies based on comics or featuring superheroes were terrible. For example did you know there was a Phantom movie starring Billy Zane?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

There were exceptions for sure, but before the MCU the vast preponderance of movies based on comics or featuring superheroes were terrible. For example did you know there was a Phantom movie starring Billy Zane?

I got the Phantom ring from 7/11 slurpees or something from that marketing push :hellyeah:

Never seen more than a few mins of the movie though :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Saw it in the loving cinemas because I am old.

Also, I was really young so I dont actually remember the film itself.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Getting into Valiant Comics and decided to find this: a reading order to the company's line. Might be useful to newbies like me.

Might be worth adding to the OP.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 11, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I've begun picking up Valiant trade. Divinity I and II were interesting little short stories. I enjoyed X-O Manowar Vol 1, 2, 3 and Harbinger Vol 1 was good. Gonna have Archer & Armstrong Vol 1, Quantum & Woody Vol 1, and Bloodshot Vol 1 tomorrow in the mail.

My main question: is valiant still good? My FLCS was saying that "Heat died down on it" so he doesn't stock it anymore.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember the current X-O Manowar has been selling pretty well for a Valiant title

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Roth posted:

I remember the current X-O Manowar has been selling pretty well for a Valiant title

It's small comic shop. They don't have all the marvel titles, for example. Can't blame them for not selling Valiant. I don't think they got a lot of foottrafic. Which is sad because they are really nice and helpful. I asked if he got Valiant and he immediately searched the store and got me all their books, no questions asked.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What's that? An excuse to wax about recent Valiant titles?

Faith & The Future Force is good stuff. Plays with time travel similar to Ivar, Timewalker and utilizes the extended Valiant cast pretty well. Jody Houser continues to be a good match for Faith and Valiant in general.

Secret Weapons has been a goddamn crown jewel of summer comics. Seriously, always bank on Raul Allen. Thoughtful, detailed, playful, colorful, creative... it's got everything you could want out of an X-Men mini.

Rapture is a high-water mark for Shadowman. Another mini made of winning issues and, in my opinion, one of the better Ninjak stories.

X-O Manowar is riding a never-ending crest of space-barbarian storytelling, all hail Kindt & Giorello.

Harbinger Renegades... I love this supergroup, but the story's still heating up. Time will tell.

Britannia was alright, wouldn't mind more.

Still need to read War Mother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zoro posted:

It's small comic shop. They don't have all the marvel titles, for example.

This isn't uncommon. We don't carry roughly a dozen Marvel books for the stand, they're preorder only.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, a lot of titles that aren't stuff that's guaranteed to sell doesn't get ordered outside of people who have it on their pull.

At the very least, if you ask to have it added to your pull list, then they should order new issues just for you.

But, Valiant's stuff is definitely great. I only just got into their stuff this year, but I love X-O Manowar, Secret Weapons, Faith and the Future Force, that War Mother issue was great, and I'm really looking forward to the new Ninjak and Bloodshot series this fall. Eternity looks straight up amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing Valiant you want to avoid is Shadowman stuff before Matt Kindt got his hands on him in the Ninjak series and into Rapture where he's completely rehabbed the character now. Not that the other stuff is some bad comic to be avoided forever or anything, but it's just easily the worst of Valiant and kinda just doesn't really fit. Matt Kindt has made Shadowman and the Deadside actually feel like a part of the Valiant universe. The first volume of Shadowman it felt like it had no connection to anything else at all and not in a good self contained way, in a "this doesn't quite fit with this universe" way.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm reading all of Valiant through the list Zoro posted, and I finished the Justin Jordan run of Shadowman a little while back, the first two trades. It wasn't bad, just aggressively mediocre and resolved the conflict way too fast, like Gavok pointed out before. I enjoyed the third trade more, which was a bunch of standalone issues written by different people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justin Jordan is the worst.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Justin Jordan is the worst.

Is he an rear end on twitter or something, or do you mean his work?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His work, I don't know about him on twitter.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

zoux posted:

His work, I don't know about him on twitter.

Shadowman is just there and while I read Luther Strode, it was aeons ago and I don't remember much other than people exploding into gouts of jammy blood, so no argument.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never seen a comic with such a disparity between the quality of the art and the quality of the writing as Luther Strode. I had already read that when I bought the second half of every new Valiant comic book ever in a sale and looked at Shadowman and saw who wrote it and I thought, this is why everyone hates the book. The voodoo monkey in that book is an example of his totally tone-deaf writing and terrible dialog instincts.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I just read Archer and Armstrong, Bloodshot, and Quantum and Woody. All volume 1. Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Woody were the standouts of that group. I feel Bloodshot was okay, but not amazing. I heard to stick it out until Bloodshot: Reborn because that's when it actually gets really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like Bloodshot but the reliance on crossing over with Harbinger did slow up the series a bit. But it gave us the modern HARD Corps so I forgive it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Harbinger Wars is where Bloodshot gets really good imo, but you have to read Harbinger (you should!) of course.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Oh, I've been reading harbinger. I really like volume 1. At first it feels like it's going to be a gritty rip off of the X-Men, but then it completely changes.

At the risk of pissing off all the comic shop owners here, I highly suggest anyone getting into Valiant purchases a comixology unlimited account. Pretty much everything they made from 2012 to 2014 is available for free with an account. It will save you literally hundreds of dollars if you decide to read all of their stuff. I'm using it right now and it's super convenient. I won't have to buy anything until I reach around 2015 which means will be super easy to catch up. Well super easy on my wallet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, Comixology is the best way to get caught up for sure. All of the early volumes are on Unlimited. I've been buying the singles on Comixology since well before Unlimited was a thing though and then I also buy the physical trades eventually. I buy pretty much everything and now own everything they've printed except for the Legend of the Geomancer series because I'm not going to track down four floppies and they refuse to release it in a trade or digitally which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

X-O posted:

Nah, Comixology is the best way to get caught up for sure. All of the early volumes are on Unlimited. I've been buying the singles on Comixology since well before Unlimited was a thing though and then I also buy the physical trades eventually. I buy pretty much everything and now own everything they've printed except for the Legend of the Geomancer series because I'm not going to track down four floppies and they refuse to release it in a trade or digitally which sucks.

I would love to able to afford all those trades and I know they're even doing omnibuses and I will likely buy them in the future, but money is tight. I was originally going to read this franchise slower till I remembered my Comixology account and realized I could jumpstart my reading without spending a penny.