Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ffxiv design arguments that descend into orientalism are always fantastic, please keep it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
actually, they don't value human life as highly as european cultures do, which is why summoner's mp efficiency is so bad

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad ffxiv doesn't have open betas tbh

Blind patch day is absolutely my favorite day of every expansion

Unironically this. It's fun to hop into things when the servers come back up and do poo poo blind, and genuinely not have anyone demanding that you've seen a video before hand.

But I expect there to be at least ONE PERSON on the dev team that's the designated sanity check person for job balance that likes and understands the job.

I don't know how you push a job through to production and *not have anyone who likes to play it that's on the dev team*.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 8, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They should let players test the mechanics, before putting them on live servers.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
this is legitimately the only mmo i play, but i seem to remember that the guild wars 2 people tried that and got burnt badly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

this is legitimately the only mmo i play, but i seem to remember that the guild wars 2 people tried that and got burnt badly

I think that depends on whether we're talking about class mechanics or raid mechanics. If I recall, the GW2 situation was someone leaking raid mechanics and/or using their foreknowledge for unfair advantage, right? I didn't follow it all too well, though I do play GW2 intermittently.

Previewing class mechanics and having public beta tests of those is probably a good idea, though. GW2 doesn't really do that except for the elite specializations they add for expansions, which they generally have a preview weekend or two for and make changes based on feedback from that.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'd rather have them refine internal testing workflows, rather than opening up unreleased content to the playerbase and end up with design by committee. Or by rambling mediocres like MrHappy.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

astrologian wasn't five years ago and it wasn't the first job that they overhauled but please, do not allow things like facts to get in the way of your mmo class balance nihilism

Unless i am seriously forgetting something, astrologion hasnt had an overhaul. Its kore or less played exactly the same since its introduction. The only thing that changed about it were potencies and some duration buffs. That's not an overhaul, that's the same lazy balancing they've been doing forever. It worked out for for Castro because that was the main problem astro had but none of those kind of buffs is going to fix the absolute clunkiness of smn for example.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Velthice posted:

Unless i am seriously forgetting something, astrologion hasnt had an overhaul. Its kore or less played exactly the same since its introduction. The only thing that changed about it were potencies and some duration buffs. That's not an overhaul, that's the same lazy balancing they've been doing forever. It worked out for for Castro because that was the main problem astro had but none of those kind of buffs is going to fix the absolute clunkiness of smn for example.

My phone writes some good poo poo sometimes but not today

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm very glad that SE fixed the Castro problem.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i just hit 70 BLM. For single target should i be doing the 6x F4 (w/ B4 and foul) or the 4xF4 (w/ no B4) rotation? Also whats my AOE rotation? Is there any nerd math i can read about this topic?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
AST got a lot of its cooldowns reworked to be more like WHM cooldowns, right?

Like 3.0 Synastry didn't have the healing boost, so AST didn't have a Divine Seal equivalent. I think Lightspeed and Lumiferous Aether got the same treatment, but I don't remember exactly how.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

World War Mammories posted:

You can just buy some poo poo and make it, or ask one of your fellow nerds who's leveled every crafter to 70 to do it. As opposed to having to deal with pubbies rolling on the same poo poo, and being required to wait up to 4 weeks to actually get a piece.

You got me there, but I don't have millions o' gil to toss around.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

AST got a lot of its cooldowns reworked to be more like WHM cooldowns, right?

Like 3.0 Synastry didn't have the healing boost, so AST didn't have a Divine Seal equivalent. I think Lightspeed and Lumiferous Aether got the same treatment, but I don't remember exactly how.

Actually I don't think they changed aether but they did add on enmity reduction to both sects. Lightspeed might have cut mp costs but I don't think that's present in current lightspeed? Either way, you and 50 were right and I was wrong.

I do sincerely actually hope that all classes get the treatment they need, I just think it's extremely unlikely to happen. One class sure, that's possible. Three? Nah I don't believe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Velthice posted:

Actually I don't think they changed aether but they did add on enmity reduction to both sects. Lightspeed might have cut mp costs but I don't think that's present in current lightspeed? Either way, you and 50 were right and I was wrong.

I do sincerely actually hope that all classes get the treatment they need, I just think it's extremely unlikely to happen. One class sure, that's possible. Three? Nah I don't believe.

No, Lightspeed is -25% to MP costs now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Countblanc posted:

They should let players test the mechanics, before putting them on live servers.

Counterpoint: no, they shouldn't.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Player feedback is worthless" --Hiromichi Tanaka, 2010

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean the next biggest MMO has a public test server and they also don't listen to player feedback at all, so maybe there's something to that, Tanaka-san.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think they'll be able to fix bahamut issues with summoner IE just basically place him when he comes out and have him be a turret instead of a pet that follows. He's got 100 yalm range anyways and that will solve his clunky movement and help with visibility.

Beyond that, hell if I know. That just seems like a no brainer, but it might not have been something that was doable before 4.1. I don't know that they'll really change a ton about MCH or SMN, but I've got faith that they'll get it sorted out.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
It's not really surprising to me that they don't see an issue with a pet following over casting. I mean, the fairies have basically had that poor implementation forever. Rather than fix it, they just allow the pet to be placed. I think it would be great if they put a lot of nice pet qol stuff in at 4.1 but I kind of doubt it. I do think they'll eventually let you shrink Bahamut though.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think they'll be able to fix bahamut issues with summoner IE just basically place him when he comes out and have him be a turret instead of a pet that follows. He's got 100 yalm range anyways and that will solve his clunky movement and help with visibility.

Beyond that, hell if I know. That just seems like a no brainer, but it might not have been something that was doable before 4.1. I don't know that they'll really change a ton about MCH or SMN, but I've got faith that they'll get it sorted out.

Bahamut should absolutely be stationary and I think they should at least get that right. If I can rattle off my wishlist, I'd like bahamut to attack on his own instead of when the summoner does, because right now you have to do some pretty weird stuff like spam ruin 2 while throwing in addle and other ogcds (that you're likely holding onto for bahamut's sake) While ignoring ruin 4 because it will absolutely cut your damage if you use when when you have an ogcd you could be using.

I'd also like to be able to use and expend aetherflow in trance again because as it is there really isn't anything to do doing it besides tridisaster and deathflare so it just kinda feels like you're encouraged to dump it as soon as possible to get to bahamut. Also speaking of deathflare, and this is just a personal irk, but I find it kinda dumb that rdm gets an attack, fleche that they can use every 25 seconds that hits harder than deathflare which is once every minute.

oh and also make bane not completely useless in dungeons, tia.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rename 4.0 to 4.0 beta and 4.1 to 4.0. Done.

For real though how would a public beta work? What level 70 content would you be doing, and would you have your beta progress folded back into the main realm?

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
y-yeah but deathflare looks cool :downs:

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This is a really weird and vaugly lovely comment especially considering that said Japanese company is literally hosting an open beta for a different Final Fantasy game as we speak.

I still don't know my percentage critical hit chance. { I'm looking forward to it! }

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

vOv posted:

Rename 4.0 to 4.0 beta and 4.1 to 4.0. Done.

For real though how would a public beta work? What level 70 content would you be doing, and would you have your beta progress folded back into the main realm?

Other MMOs just have test servers. Your progress generally isn't saved.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I get better. Easier?

You can literally go to the MB and buy a chestpiece for 500k in less time than it took me to make this terrible post.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
XI had a test server (that you had to apply for) where you could just like, get an Empyrean weapon from a menu and stuff.

I don't think DQX had/has one though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

actually, they don't value human life as highly as european cultures do, which is why summoner's mp efficiency is so bad

lmao

I appreciate this post

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad ffxiv doesn't have open betas tbh

Blind patch day is absolutely my favorite day of every expansion

this is what i was getting at. Blind patch days are dumb and a relic of early 2000's. If you dont want to know stuff dont go to the websites.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Blind patch days gave us Raubahn Savage and not being able to log in because you queued Susano while sitting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

Blind patch days gave us Raubahn Savage and not being able to log in because you queued Susano while sitting.

I'm pretty sure a test server wouldn't have caught the former unless it's a lot busier than test servers usually are.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nuru posted:

only one of those even had any miniscule chance of showing up in a test environment. you think people would line up to play patches early but historically PTRs etc aren't as populated as you'd expect

efb

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also I doubt a test server would let you do much story content so it definitely wouldn't have changed anything even if there were enough people to saturate it

e: also remember that Raubahn was half under provisioned instances and half DDOS attack, on Japanese and Euro DCs that weren't being DDOSed it was a lot smoother

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 9, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Harrow posted:

Other MMOs just have test servers. Your progress generally isn't saved.

So would you have a 'click here to instalevel your job to 70 and get a full set of 300' button and then have people queue up for Fist/Kugane/EX primals and gather metrics? It's not like you'd want them to be going through story.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

vOv posted:

So would you have a 'click here to instalevel your job to 70 and get a full set of 300' button and then have people queue up for Fist/Kugane/EX primals and gather metrics? It's not like you'd want them to be going through story.

That's pretty much the idea as far as I can tell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

vOv posted:

That's what a lot of them do, yes. Sometimes you just use a copied version of your character from the live servers. I think WoW's test servers leave cutscene stuff out of the raids that players test, but I also think that public raid testing is kind of iffy for reasons others have stated (nothing like people expecting you to have watched strategy videos by the time patch day hits). But I do like the idea of letting players test out balance changes, especially the big playstyle changes that happen sometimes, on public test servers, if nothing else.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it's kind of weird that the expected playstyle for MCH is 'Get heat to 95, hit Hypercharge for vuln debuff, load ammo, fire hot shot to get overheated, do your rotation and OGCDs and look at a meh explosion with a less-meh number'.

I think Gauss Barrel should just be a trait, not an ability, it's not like you ever have a reason not to use it. Just have it automataclly come up after it's done cooling down from overheat.
The RNG on your basic rotation just needs to go away. it's not fun. Ammo can still increase potency and stop heat buildup.

I really don't know what to do with Flamethrower though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah it's kind of weird that the expected playstyle for MCH is 'Get heat to 95, hit Hypercharge for vuln debuff, load ammo, fire hot shot to get overheated, do your rotation and OGCDs and look at a meh explosion with a less-meh number'.

Don't do this. It doesn't work :suicide:

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

But would having a PTR be using human wave tactics :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I admit I was never a big fan of MCH when it basically revolved entirely around shoving poo poo into a wildfire window, and having the window come up twice as often does not make it any more appealing. I mean I guess there's some people who like that but it's both really frustrating and obviously not that popular a playstyle, and square sort of accidentally hit upon a fun sort of resource-juggling mechanic with the 4.0 MCH that they've been busy neutering in hopes of making wildfire burst rotations more prominent. And it's not even a visually exciting ability or something.

Ah well, maybe the class will be good and fun in 5.0. :downs: