Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I took a flight from LA to Australia about a week ago and used the time to watch all of westworld.

Earlier in this thread this got posted.

https://www.jasondavies.com/maps/north-korea-distance/

Nobody's getting nuked, stop freaking out if you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

They don't work against the same threat in the same way so it's hard to day that. BMD systems are variable based on type, location, phase, etc...

Yeah, but Aegis is a mobile system, so it's possible to move it into position to intercept a North Korean missile aimed at Japan. It's not a totally reliable system, but it's better than GMD or THAAD, and it could deter North Korea from launching at them, even in an extreme situation.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Kinda.

My first ship was an AEGIS BMD platform and I went on to get some additional schooling on joint BMD capabilities a little over a year ago.

It's best to think of these as layers rather than individual tools.

E: To say one is better really just depends on what you're talking about.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 9, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I thought we were all in our mid 30s and lived during the cold war? Isn't the whole reason SA politics chat better than most sites because it's a dead forum from 2000 that no one young posts on? But was too edgy to flood with grandpas with bad grandpa opinions?

1) This is the best explanation of why this forum is good. Well good is a strong word, but comparatively.
2) I was alive during the cold war but not really cognizant of the thread of nuclear apocalypse. I was born in 82, we didn't do desk drills and stuff like that in grade school (our parents might have though).
3) Speaking of grandpas was Tokai real? That grampa cop with good stories from like 10 years ago?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

Kinda.

My first ship was an AEGIS BMD platform and I went on to get some additional schooling on joint BMD capabilities a little over a year ago.

It's best to think of these as layers rather than individual tools.

Oh definitely - if I were living in Japan, I wouldn't pin all my hopes on the drat thing working, on a technical level. But as another form of deterrence, it's helpful.

How did you like serving on that ship btw?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Literally all Trump needs to do is stop responding with more threats.

:lol:

can't wait to see republicans on facebook calling him a strong leader because he nuked north korea for no reason

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The continued existence of CBN as anything other than a crater full of brimstone is proof that there is no god.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

So what inappropriate Leonard Cohen lyrics will Brian Williams quote on air when the ICBMs start flying?

"Give me Christ or give me Hiroshima?""

The song is even called The Future. loving weord.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

The continued existence of CBN as anything other than a crater full of brimstone is proof that there is no god.

I dunno, man - there's a case to be made for maltheism.:unsmigghh:

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My halfwit uncle posted a news report from CBN claiming that one million white (they emphasized white) women in the UK had been raped by Muslim street gangs.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

3) Speaking of grandpas was Tokai real? That grampa cop with good stories from like 10 years ago?

He turned out to be real racist and got ran off these forums oops

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

empty whippet box posted:

:lol:

can't wait to see republicans on facebook calling him a strong leader because he nuked north korea for no reason

All he has to do is blunder his way to a "victory", which can include any number of things short of nuking NK, and he's most likely good for reelection in the minds of conservatives. It could even give him a pass on most things that Mueller finds.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Thank you, this put me at ease a bit. Yeah I'm in Tokyo, not that close to any of the bases. My wife is Japanese so i have her and all of my inlaws to worry about. I care about them and want to get them out of any harm's way.

It's a strange feeling when you see history take a course that for a change isn't just abstract but may directly affect you, I guess this is how people in many unstable parts of the world feel all the time...

Not that I think anything will happen but there is a base in Yokosuka which is not far and would probably make things not so fun if it were hit. I, on the other hand, live in beautiful Chiba where we will subsist on peanuts if poo poo hits the fan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Edible Hat posted:

My halfwit uncle posted a news report from CBN claiming that one million white (they emphasized white) women in the UK had been raped by Muslim street gangs.

Over what period of time? Very industrious work regardless.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

He turned out to be real racist and got ran off these forums oops

Oh. Well. I can't say I'm surprised. I would have been surprised then, but, uh, I dunno the last couple years have taken away my ability to be shocked by the terribleness of people.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Hellblazer187 posted:

I regret to inform you that Milkshake duck is racist

banned for being a pedo apparently

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/cjcmichel/status/895108790424621057

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

How did you like serving on that ship btw?

Well, mixed bag. It was PORT ROYAL and I got to her a year after the grounding. The CO was the type of person that deserved Admiral for how he got that ship fixed but would never make it because no one could stand the son of a bitch. In my first seven months I processed a whole bunch of messages tied to terrible command climate. We had deserters, a couple of attempted sabetours, and a whole bunch of suicidal ideation.

We used to line up outside of the Wardroom where he would take reports after lunch to get screamed at one by one for this that or the other. I saw a seasoned warrant officer nearly cry after one particular report.

Then I got sent on deployment for four months on another ship where my entire job was to learn, read, and stand watch. Got back just as they were turning over, new CO was awesome (but difficult in his own way) and we deployed again for 8 months after 3 months of work-ups.

I was the Strike Officer which led to my later position as a TLAM Officer in the Executive Agent office for the program - likely the best job I will have ever had.

So all in all it was a pretty impactful ship. I have nearly blacked out that entire first year and no matter where I go it's unlikely I'll ever encounter a situation like that first CO.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 9, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I regret to inform you that Milkshake duck is racist

banned for being a pedo apparently

I highly doubt this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

Not that I think anything will happen but there is a base in Yokosuka which is not far and would probably make things not so fun if it were hit. I, on the other hand, live in beautiful Chiba where we will subsist on peanuts if poo poo hits the fan.

Yeah I was thinking of the Yokosuka base, we are far enough away from it I guess (Meguro, still, not THAT far) that there's no danger for us experiencing a direct hit or anything...

Maybe we'll take a trip to the inaka for a while :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All our lives are just a brief moment compared to the time spent dead.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So once we nuke Korea where do prevailing winds blow the fallout? Or is that a thing no one worries about these days?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

farraday posted:

I'm not trying to alarm you but there is to my mind a fairly reasonable chance he launches attacks on Japan in case of war in order to try and force a military response and possibly force China to try and resolve things in his favor.

Is "he" in this situation Un or Trump?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Goffer posted:

So once we nuke Korea where do prevailing winds blow the fallout? Or is that a thing no one worries about these days?

Remember we blew up hundreds of bombs in the US, the idea of single bombs making thousand mile wastelands is a tv thing. We blew up a bunch of above ground bombs within sight of las vegas and it's not a fallout nuclear wasteland (or IS it, am i rite?)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/894999476661886977
* 8 hours later *

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/895118269681684481

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

I highly doubt this.

Maybe, I'm just going off what SAclopedia says.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're just being pathetic attention seeking wannabe alpha males anyway, they just want to be the last one to make a threat. Neither has any intention of doing anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

Well, mixed bag. It was PORT ROYAL and I got to her a year after the grounding. The CO was the type of person that deserved Admiral for how he got that ship fixed but would never make it because no one could stand the son of a bitch. In my first seven months I processed a whole bunch of messages tied to terrible command climate. We had deserters, a couple of attempted sabetours, and a whole bunch of suicidal ideation.

We used to line up outside of the Wardroom where he would take reports after lunch to get screamed at one by one for this that or the other. I saw a seasoned warrant officer nearly cry after one particular report.

Then I got sent on deployment for four months on another ship where my entire job was to learn, read, and stand watch. Got back just as they were turning over, new CO was awesome (but difficult in his own way) and we deployed again for 8 months after 3 months of work-ups.

I was the Strike Officer which led to my later position as a TLAM Officer in the Executive Agent office for the program - likely the best job I will have ever had.

So all in all it was a pretty impactful ship. I have nearly blacked out that entire first year and no matter where I go it's unlikely I'll ever encounter a situation like that first CO.

My goodness - well at least he left you with some good stories!:stare: I'll bet being able to shoot cruise missiles is pretty cool though.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

This is a funny and fun historical fact.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Our lives are an affront to our true natures.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Goffer posted:

As always dtic's got you covered.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a283779.pdf

Pg 29 suggests low level summer winds are southerly midnlevel westerly.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

This rules a lot

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pollyanna posted:

I highly doubt this.

It's true. You can look at his posts in the ArchAge thread still, I think, if you want to see it with your own eyes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burt Buckle posted:

This is a funny and fun historical fact.

Protocolary Folderol is the name of my nu-wave acid jazz band

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm looking forward to the first nuclear scare under President Dwayne Johnson

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I hope someone leaks the contents of some of Trump's 50 page praise folders. I want to see those.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Maybe, I'm just going off what SAclopedia says.

IIRC he decided to wander into a debate trying to explain how the thing people were arguing about technically wasn't pedophilia, it was ephebophilia, and suffice it to say it didn't end well.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i wonder what president zuckerburg would do :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ague Proof posted:

I hope someone leaks the contents of some of Trump's 50 page praise folders. I want to see those.

they're just screencaps from fox news. like seriously. cheyrons and poo poo.

• Locked thread