Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jurgan posted:

If that were the case, then why would he draw the offspring being visibly unhappy with the situation?

Because it is funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jurgan posted:

If that were the case, then why would he draw the offspring being visibly unhappy with the situation?

because it's funny

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's the point of that Lester? Isn't it supposed to be smart for a consumer to go and see if it would be more expensive to have an electric car or a gasoline one and get is the better product? Tesla nor the government are forcing you to buy it. Maybe the problem to complain about should be power prices instead of Teslas?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jurgan posted:

Because it’s funny.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Ugh Southpark "both sides are bad" cowardly nonsense.

Does anyone who makes media have the loving balls and brains to just recognize good and bad and just pick a loving side?

idonotlikepeas posted:

Also, I'm not sure what Tinsley is talking about this time as, unless I missed some piece of news, Incredibles 2 is actually set to be released next year. At least some of the voice work has already been done and everything. And this is actually the first time they promised a new Incredibles movie; they used to say things like "oh, yeah, we might do that someday if we ever have a good idea for it", which is how movie people say "no".

No, they've definitely been promising it explicitly for years. At one point it was supposed to be in theatres before Cars 3 was.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Looks like someone hasn't read National Review's "The Best Conservative Movies":

Is this the same place that listed YMCA as one of the best conservative songs because of how much it promotes such a Christian organisation?

Spoderman posted:

I love the conservative movie Robocop

You do realise you can distill that movie down to "Jesus+cop+guns"? I don't think a bit of anti-corporate messaging is enough to make it not conservative.

Kaza42 posted:

Can confirm that I know conservatives who see Team America as a gung ho celebration of America, and that at least one of them takes the "Dicks Assholes and Pussies" speech as a personal creed

You know Trey Parker?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ularg posted:

What's the point of that Lester? Isn't it supposed to be smart for a consumer to go and see if it would be more expensive to have an electric car or a gasoline one and get is the better product? Tesla nor the government are forcing you to buy it. Maybe the problem to complain about should be power prices instead of Teslas?

"The federal government is supporting costly, pointless technologies at the taxpayer's expense. Even if I don't buy this vehicle, which is a waste of money, I'm being forced to pay for someone else's dumb purchasing habits because of the government's subsidies and rebates."

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
'Cause it's funny

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This just proves what I've long thought - Kelly is too funny for this thread, and must be banned. Only terrible things allowed here.

I wonder how explicitly bad an idea I could propose here to make it clear I'm joing that other people wouldn't unironically agree with me?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Fulchrum posted:

This just proves what I've long thought - Kelly is too funny for this thread, and must be banned. Only terrible things allowed here.

I wonder how explicitly bad an idea I could propose here to make it clear I'm joing that other people wouldn't unironically agree with me?

Just pick a Rall at random I guess and run with it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shangri-Law School posted:

Looks like someone hasn't read National Review's "The Best Conservative Movies":

It's like they're trying to AGC a lot of these movies. My favorite is the 300 entry, where everything is taken at face value and it's definitely not an in-universe propaganda tale as told by the representative of a now infamously cruel culture. Unless I'm SMG'ing the movie and the movie doesn't really support that interpretation, in which case I'm the idiot here and I welcome death.

gently caress National Review, by the way. I don't often see the appropriate amount of hatred for the propaganda of establishment conservatives. Oooooooooh, NR objected to Trump and still does! Shame on him for giving the game away oops I mean pretending to be a conservative.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ragnar34 posted:

It's like they're trying to AGC a lot of these movies. My favorite is the 300 entry, where everything is taken at face value and it's definitely not an in-universe propaganda tale as told by the representative of a now infamously cruel culture. Unless I'm SMG'ing the movie and the movie doesn't really support that interpretation, in which case I'm the idiot here and I welcome death.

Frank Miller is a racist idiot, he thinks everything that happens in 300 is super cool and good. He loves writing stories about white people getting preyed on by hordes of brown people.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yup, when I first read The dark Knight returns I thought all the weird social commentary was brilliant satire.
I sadly know better now.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Low Desert Punk posted:

Frank Miller is a racist idiot, he thinks everything that happens in 300 is super cool and good. He loves writing stories about white people getting preyed on by hordes of brown people.

Which is why 300 is such an amazing self-own. I mean, I don't want to die on this hill or anything, but 300 makes the most sense if you treat it as a string of fashy bullshit invented by a Spartan bard to make these pricks look like badasses. Then again, I don't think the people who loved it really watched it from that angle, kind of like Fight Club, so whatever I guess.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

muscles like this! posted:

Because it is funnier.

Duke Igthorn posted:

'Cause it's funny

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because it’s funny.

oddium posted:

because it's funny

I guess I'm going to be overruled on this one, but it doesn't work for me to have a half-reliable narrator. Either we're seeing Kelly's POV or we aren't.

Now cue a dozen posts telling me how I'm overthinking jokes in cartoons, as if this whole thread isn't about overthinking jokes in cartoons.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what a dummy haha

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jurgan posted:

I guess I'm going to be overruled on this one, but it doesn't work for me to have a half-reliable narrator. Either we're seeing Kelly's POV or we aren't.

Now cue a dozen posts telling me how I'm overthinking jokes in cartoons, as if this whole thread isn't about overthinking jokes in cartoons.

nice meltdown

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jurgan posted:

I agree. It made me pause and think about it too long and took me out of the character. It was an unusual weak detail for a Kelly and I think it's fair to say that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ragnar34 posted:

Which is why 300 is such an amazing self-own. I mean, I don't want to die on this hill or anything, but 300 makes the most sense if you treat it as a string of fashy bullshit invented by a Spartan bard to make these pricks look like badasses. Then again, I don't think the people who loved it really watched it from that angle, kind of like Fight Club, so whatever I guess.

That interpretation of the movie is definitely more interesting though.

Jurgan posted:

Here's the thing: You can take kids to ANY restaurant and they'll be happy because they're getting fed. They're too young/hungry to realize that there grandpa is actually being pretty sleazy by insisting on taking them to Hooters as opposed to anywhere else even though it clearly made their mom very upset. It's the kind of thing you don't pick up on until you're older.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 9, 2017

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That interpretation of the movie is defiantly more interesting though.

Considering it was directed by Zach "fascist power fantasy is awesome" Snyder I doubt it was intended, but yeah, death of the author and all that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ragnar34 posted:

I loved Fight Club because they kill capitalism at the end.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

This isn't the right thread to post it but Folding Ideas did an awesome video essay about Fight Club.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Ragnar34 posted:

I saw a Tumblr post (so grain of salt and all that) that argued that your interpretation is basically the historical reality, that Thermopylae was Sparta's only moment of actual military glory and they built their entire identity around it. Considering we never ever hear about any other Spartan victories, I'm inclined to believe it without researching further because gently caress Sparta.

That said I've started saying "Molon labe!" to announce that dinner's ready. :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Abyssal Squid posted:

I saw a Tumblr post (so grain of salt and all that) that argued that your interpretation is basically the historical reality, that Thermopylae was Sparta's only moment of actual military glory and they built their entire identity around it. Considering we never ever hear about any other Spartan victories, I'm inclined to believe it without researching further because gently caress Sparta.

That said I've started saying "Molon labe!" to announce that dinner's ready. :v:

That is bull as the Spartans were a major power in Greece.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

That is bull as the Spartans were a major power in Greece.

Cross posting from the ancient history thread:

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I know Reddit isn't very well liked on this forum but this is actually a good read that really deconstructs the image of Sparta https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/6rvusy/is_the_military_worship_of_the_spartans_really/ .

The basic tl;dr is that up until Thermopylae Sparta wasn't known as a particularly fearsome or militaristic society but the legendary status they gained from it became a self-fulfilling prophecy as citizens wanted to live up to their mostly-imagined reputation.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

300 was written before he went racist and crazy.

tyblazitar posted:

Considering it was directed by Zach "fascist power fantasy is awesome" Snyder I doubt it was intended, but yeah, death of the author and all that.

Is this more people thinking that you're supposed to like Rorschach?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Cross posting from the ancient history thread:

The basic tl;dr is that up until Thermopylae Sparta wasn't known as a particularly fearsome or militaristic society but the legendary status they gained from it became a self-fulfilling prophecy as citizens wanted to live up to their mostly-imagined reputation.

Yeah, that seems to line up with the story I saw. My half-remembered paraphrase didn't do it justice:

that Reddit post posted:

In other words, the Spartan reputation for military skill and their actual military record appear to be largely unrelated. During their rise to prominence, nobody thought they stood out. In the period of their slow but irrevocable decline, admiration for their methods steadily rose to a fever pitch. This is important; apparently the degree of respect they commanded in ancient times seems to have had little to do with the power they actually had. So it goes, too, in modern times.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Fulchrum posted:

No, they've definitely been promising it explicitly for years. At one point it was supposed to be in theatres before Cars 3 was.

Yep; the current movie is from that same thing. They started talking about it about three years ago when Brad Bird started writing the script, and it's coming out next year. That's not an atypical timeline for a Pixar movie. I think the original took about four years, too. It's more like Charlie Brown just running towards that football in super slow motion, maybe with that chee-chee-chee-chee sound effect from the Six Million Dollar Man.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Dammit Rall don't make me agree with you on something :argh:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jurgan posted:

Edit: He's fully aware his son doesn't enjoy being there and he doesn't give a gently caress

duz fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 9, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's frustrating because they're witty and their style is good and yet they have some of the worst possible views about everything

e: except the sjw parody is fairly on point

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Some Republican Idiot's Movie Review Site posted:

2. The Incredibles (2004): This animated film skips pop-culture references and gross jokes in favor of a story that celebrates marriage, courage, responsibility, and high achievement. A family of superheroes — Mr. Incredible, his wife Elastigirl, and their children — are living an anonymous life in the suburbs, thanks to a society that doesn’t appreciate their unique talents. Then it comes to need them. In one scene, son Dash, a super-speedy runner, wants to try out for track. Mom claims it wouldn’t be fair. “Dad says our powers make us special!” Dash objects. “Everyone is special,” Mom demurs, to which Dash mutters, “Which means nobody is.” – Frederica Mathewes-Greene writes for Beliefnet.com.
It fuckin fits so perfectly that Republicans would look at this family that was literally born into loving superpowers and go "see what can happen if you just work hard???"
Yeah man they really pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to get those superpowers talents.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jurgan posted:

it doesn't work for me to have a half-reliable narrator. Either we're seeing Kelly's POV or we aren't.
Yeah. Half-reliable narrator is a good summary of the problem here.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This one just got referenced on the excellent podcast Pod Save America. The host wouldn't even say Cernovich's name because he didn't want to validate him.

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Plus it ends with a great Pixies song.

El Rooster Diablo
Jul 24, 2011

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

It fuckin fits so perfectly that Republicans would look at this family that was literally born into loving superpowers and go "see what can happen if you just work hard???"
Yeah man they really pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to get those superpowers talents.

Bootstraps? Not sure if that paragraph even tries to play it that way. The main characters are special and powerful, just like all real-life conservatives, and the despicable modern egalitarian society punishes them for their superiority. But then the ungrateful prols want the help of our heroes as soon as mediocrity can't get the job done.

To be fair to them, super hero stories can be pretty drat authoritarian even when they're trying not to be, so treating any superhero movie as conservative isn't such a bad bet. Oh yeah, and that reminds me. They praise Batman in The Dark Knight, up to and including Batman's evil surveillance array. No word on his inability to do anything constructive throughout the story, though. What the gently caress.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'm not aware of any elected office that's open to twelve year olds.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Class president, but I don't think she goes to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yeah, you're not a real conservative if you support the Civil Rights Act

• Locked thread