Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I remember years ago when the CEO of Netflix was talking about how Netflix was going to start creating their own movies and tv shows and thinking, "that's dumb, don't make your own shows just get all the good stuff other people make." He was a bit more forward thinking than I was. I just naively thought Netflix would eventually have everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jolo posted:

I remember years ago when the CEO of Netflix was talking about how Netflix was going to start creating their own movies and tv shows and thinking, "that's dumb, don't make your own shows just get all the good stuff other people make." He was a bit more forward thinking than I was. I just naively thought Netflix would eventually have everything.

Lemme guess, all of your purchased digital content is in the apple store

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Huh, I didn't realize Mute, Duncan Jones follow up to Moon, was actually being made and it's a Netflix deal.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Netflix was AWESOME in 2011 when its streaming service was still pretty new. It had a ton of great stuff.

This is true. If you've had your account for a while, take a scroll all the way back through your Viewing Activity page. You'll be amazed at all the good stuff that's no longer available. And about a billion movies you've completely forgotten watching.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Message from the King on Netflix is alright if you're into revenge movies. I largely watched it to see Chadwick Boseman in something other than Captain America.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jolo posted:

They're branching into some interesting areas too. They just announced a 6 episode talk show series with David Letterman.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Quiet Feet posted:

Message from the King on Netflix is alright if you're into revenge movies. I largely watched it to see Chadwick Boseman in something other than Captain America.
Seconding.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Master of none is really good. It's just an honest show and I appreciate it for being simple and direct. Aziz is every dude ever and it's great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A very unpopular opinion amongst a lot of people , but I heavily prefer the route Netflix went as opposed to if they just secured streaming rights to a ton of movies. They produce good original content at a rate that no other company does right now, they have a great selection of movies that escaped my radar but interest me, and pepper in a few Blockbusters here and there. Short of them pretty much securing the rights to every movie you can think of, which is totally unreasonable, it's always going to be an incomplete collection of movies and someone is going to be dissatisfied. If I want to watch something really specific, I have no problem dropping 2.99 on a digital rental from somewhere else. Netflix is supposed to be a fun place to browse and find good stuff to watch, not an unlimited Blockbuster at your fingertips for $10 a month. I'm personally pretty happy with it atm. I think its a great deal for what they provide.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

veni veni veni posted:

If I want to watch something really specific, I have no problem dropping 2.99 on a digital rental from somewhere else. Netflix is supposed to be a fun place to browse and find good stuff to watch, not an unlimited Blockbuster at your fingertips for $10 a month. I'm personally pretty happy with it atm. I think its a great deal for what they provide.

Well well Mr. Moneybags how about u check ur rich privilege huh?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Pycckuu posted:

Hey, maybe this endless split in streaming services will make blurays popular again... Or you will just end up paying the same money as cable but with 30 different accounts.

Someone should put all the old classic movies on there permanently and just leave them streamable. All I want is to watch The Fugitive without commercials on a tuesday night.

I'm pretty sure you could watch all of the old classic movies on Amazon and FilmStruck. I don't think Netflix has a good classic selection anymore.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Hulu has Critters 1-4 so i am set.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

coyo7e posted:

Lemme guess, all of your purchased digital content is in the apple store

That'd be a wrong guess. I have a handful of things on Amazon Video but there's so much good tv being made that if something isn't available to stream through a service I'm already paying for, I'll usually just watch something else.

Netflix making their own content ended up being a great idea and they've put out a bunch of good tv/movies/docs. I'm struggling to come up with a good analogy... but at the time I remember thinking it was like the ice cream man going "I'm going to make the ice cream now" and thinking, "dude, just sell it. Why are you going to make it?"

edit: Also, just found out recently that you can't stream Amazon Video from a phone to a chromecast because Amazon has their own dongle thing they want you to use. Worth knowing if you plan on purchasing anything through Amazon Video. There's a ps4/ps3 app that works great, but if you're at a friends house and want to use their Chromecast, the phone option won't work.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 9, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I make a list of TV shows I want to check out on various services and cycle through them one at a time. Once I got through the available seasons of whatever shows I really wanted to watch I move on to the next service. Movies come and go too often for me to bother tracking them. I don't feel terribly compelled to watch new things at the very instant they're available so I'm not seeing the downside to this approach. They all make it super easy to stop/restart service and Hulu frequently dangles some free weeks out there for you to come back.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jolo posted:

Netflix is $20 billion in debt, they're not that forward thinking.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pretty sure Amazon's debt is more than double that, and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does the disney platform include the marvel and star wars poo poo? It seems like the deal they made for that stuff just went into effect a year or two ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jolo posted:

but at the time I remember thinking it was like the ice cream man going "I'm going to make the ice cream now" and thinking, "dude, just sell it. Why are you going to make it?"
Except that a 9 month old push pop isn't anywhere as good as homemade vanilla. Have you ever had fresh handmade ice cream? You know who knows more about ice cream and can taste the difference your average ten year old cant? The ice cream man.

Look back to Sci-fi channel in the 90s when they stopped licensing creature from the black lagoon the 20th time and instead started popping out shock films on a shoestring. They knew their market, and their customers were tired of stale old ice cream being the only choice.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 9, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Have any of these single-studio/network things gone live yet? CBS I guess will be first up but it feels like everyone's waiting for someone else to be the first to stick their neck out.

CBS All Access went live in January, but it's a piece of poo poo. Seeso went live in January 2016 and is owned by NBC, but it's bankrupt and is expected to be shut down within months.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

CBS All Access went live in January, but it's a piece of poo poo. Seeso went live in January 2016 and is owned by NBC, but it's bankrupt and is expected to be shut down within months.

Which is a shame, because they've got a lot of great stuff and was only $3 a month. :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Franchescanado posted:

Which is a shame, because they've got a lot of great stuff and was only $3 a month. :(

Yeah they had all of Flying Circus, Kids in the Hall, all of SNL (even if the episodes were butchered to hell). At least when that goes belly up they'll most likely sell the rights to those shows to Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

Does the disney platform include the marvel and star wars poo poo? It seems like the deal they made for that stuff just went into effect a year or two ago.

The Disney deal does include the Marvel and Lucasfilm stuff (save for the TV series - Defenders etc.), but Disney specifically said their streaming platform will be the home for Disney and Pixar content. No mention of Star Wars or Marvel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah they had all of Flying Circus, Kids in the Hall, all of SNL (even if the episodes were butchered to hell). At least when that goes belly up they'll most likely sell the rights to those shows to Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu.

Their original programming was good! Bajillion Dollar Properties, The UCB Show, HarmonQuest, Shrink (!), all good stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Their original programming was good! Bajillion Dollar Properties, The UCB Show, HarmonQuest, Shrink (!), all good stuff.

All of those production companies are looking for new homes. MBMBaM, HarmonQuest, Cyanide and Happiness and Hidden America have all landed on VRV, I'll be stunned if UCB doesn't wind up on Hulu, Shrink is in negotiations with at least two companies, etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

All of those production companies are looking for new homes. MBMBaM, HarmonQuest, Cyanide and Happiness and Hidden America have all landed on VRV, I'll be stunned if UCB doesn't wind up on Hulu, Shrink is in negotiations with at least two companies, etc.

It's a little disappointing that they could be losing their loose censorship. It's not very often a variety sketch show gets to make a whole scene about a guys balls being out (like on UCB).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

It's a little disappointing that they could be losing their loose censorship. It's not very often a variety sketch show gets to make a whole scene about a guys balls being out (like on UCB).

Hard to say. I mean, Netflix doesn't seem to give a poo poo about stuff like that (just look at Oh Hello! on Broadway), and some of Hulu's originals like Harlots, Shut Eye and Casual get pretty goddamn raunchy.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

When did this become the thing to say? This has become a meme in the last month.

Truly no offense, but I don’t think you, or most people, understand how debt financing works. For example, Apple, the most profitable, cash flow positive company in the world, is 100 billion “in debt.”

Long story short, Netflix has insanely good cash flow and growth. So they leverage that to get historically cheap debt which lets them dump the equivalent of rocket fuel on their expansion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

When did this become the thing to say? This has become a meme in the last month.

People on the Internet like to play armchair economist and latch onto anything that allows them to do a bit of gloomsaying. In truth, Netflix has something like $4.8 billion in actual debt (much of which was accrued in its heavy overseas push), and then about $15 billion owed in future obligations for content payouts.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched The VVitch on Prime streaming the other night and it's dope as hell, highly recommended.

Then I went and checked out the achieved CineD thread and wow, some people did not react how I did.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched The VVitch on Prime streaming the other night and it's dope as hell, highly recommended.

Then I went and checked out the achieved CineD thread and wow, some people did not react how I did.

The horror thread loved it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

(I loved it, despite taking awhile to get use to the cadence of the language)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Franchescanado posted:

The horror thread loved it.

The first three or four pages of the dedicated thread had a bunch of people calling it bad, pointless, and a waste of time. One or two even said they wanted refunds when it was over.

nate fisher posted:

Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

I'd probably sign the Devil's book for some butter, beats corn and goat milk.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first three or four pages of the dedicated thread had a bunch of people calling it bad, pointless, and a waste of time. One or two even said they wanted refunds when it was over.

Next time you wanna see opinions on a horror movie just go into the horror thread and post about it. That's where you really find out what the good stuff is.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I got a little bit too high before I saw the vvitch at a movie theater and I couldn't stop laughing during the first half hour of it. I fuckin lost it whenever the dad talked. just uncontrollable laughter. It was kind of embarrassing actually and the old people behind us trying to enjoy the matinee showing did not appreciate it.

it's actually a garbage movie, though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
perhaps you are the garbage movie

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The garbage movie was in us all along.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Truly no offense, but I don’t think you, or most people, understand how debt financing works. For example, Apple, the most profitable, cash flow positive company in the world, is 100 billion “in debt.”

Long story short, Netflix has insanely good cash flow and growth. So they leverage that to get historically cheap debt which lets them dump the equivalent of rocket fuel on their expansion.

It became a thing to say because a bunch of articles came out just a couple weeks back about "$20 bilion in debt!" You got me dead to rights, though, I do have no clue about debt financing. Is it possible to explain how they can get "cheap debt" and why that's good for them?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The VVitch has more than one really great, not pointless nude scene.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon has never made a profit. Neither has the Xbox division at Microsoft.

I will never understand how businesses work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Amazon's business is acquiring other businesses to ensure you can't buy anything online without asking their permission. Profit isn't really their short term goal. This is also the model that Uber tried to follow.