Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is Essex a goner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

11 hits on Essex and it's not already down? drat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Torpedo hits tend to be more damaging to ships, since it puts holes below the waterline, but 11 bomb hits puts a sinking within the realm of possibility, especially since it's not a battleship.

Grey, please put the Ryujo on Cruise Speed setting so that it doesn't sink itself on the way back.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The only way is down Essex.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Send in the subs to finish the burning hulk

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

Were those American planes already in the air? I don't know how they conducted flight ops after 10 bomb hits.

Yeah, both sides launch scout plants at first light. They both get strikes up in the air before either hits home.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

pthighs posted:

Yeah, both sides launch scout plants at first light. They both get strikes up in the air before either hits home.

Now landing otoh...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I think Ryujo is hit hard but should survive pending her not taking any further heavy hits. Also good luck finishing the Essex. Big day!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Now landing otoh...

Given that last I checked P-43s can't fly off carriers, there should be an Allied airbase around Essex's squadrons can land at instead of ditching, unlike last time. Probably Efate? Or is there another offscreen that the Lancer is flying out of?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

8 August 1943

Italian destroyer Freccia, sunk at Genoa by RAF air raid.

Looks like one of the 18-knot Katoris is slowing down that battleship task force.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Given that last I checked P-43s can't fly off carriers, there should be an Allied airbase around Essex's squadrons can land at instead of ditching, unlike last time. Probably Efate? Or is there another offscreen that the Lancer is flying out of?

Oh ye of little faith...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Looks like one of the 18-knot Katoris is slowing down that battleship task force.

Yep, third ship in the image looks like a Katori-class.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

TheDemon posted:

Yep, third ship in the image looks like a Katori-class.

:argh: Greeeey!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

wedgekree posted:

I think Ryujo is hit hard but should survive pending her not taking any further heavy hits.

And her crew not turning her into an air-fuel bomb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the battleship task force is literally in Rabaul harbor? Or like one hex out? But if I understand it right, even then a slow ship in the TF makes them not be as good at engaging and chasing down ships within the same hex for battle?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

PittTheElder posted:

And her crew not turning her into an air-fuel bomb.

It wouldn't it be a Japanese ship otherwise! :downsrim:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Oh ye of little faith...

Fine, yes, technically you could launch one off a carrier, but the landing gear is nowhere near robust enough to function in a carrier role. Point stands that they didn't fly off Essex, and thus had to have flown out of some Allied base in range. And given Hellcats, Avengers, and Dauntlesses all have significantly more range than a Lancer, they can probably reach said base too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

I think the battleship task force is literally in Rabaul harbor? Or like one hex out? But if I understand it right, even then a slow ship in the TF makes them not be as good at engaging and chasing down ships within the same hex for battle?

Slow ships both make it harder to intercept enemies at the strategic layer, since they can only cover as many hexes as the slowest ship, and also makes the whole TF less efficient in combat, since again the TF will be only be moving as fast as the slowest ship.

All else being equal, a SAG with a single 18 knot ship in the mix is probably going to have its T-crossed by an enemy SAG where all ships can travel at, say, 30 knots.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
10 250kg bombs isn't that much boom. They could survive that.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

goatface posted:

10 250kg bombs isn't that much boom. They could survive that.

There is still tomorrow for more action.
But, even if the ship survives, it will out of action for few months, which is still a boon for Grey.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Tomorrow morning, though. The Essex wasn't able to move between air combat phases, which seems to indicate it's crippled at low speed.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Jesenjin posted:

There is still tomorrow for more action.
But, even if the ship survives, it will out of action for few months, which is still a boon for Grey.

I want to see a sunken CV so badly

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We continue to hunt ships.

We take out another troop laden ship.

The reaction moves take one of the groups into bomber range.

They take some hits. I hope their armour is strong enough.

We bring down several more planes.

The Essex is still alive.

Torpedo the bloody carrier! THE CARRIER YOU MORONS!

Well, its obvious my captains don't think the wounded fleet carrier is a priority, I shall have words with them.

I'm not going to complain about the ship kills though!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I hope you nail it. Ryujo for an Essex is a fine trade.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
How badly is Essex damaged if they traveled only two or three hexes since yesterday?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Jesenjin posted:

How badly is Essex damaged if they traveled only two or three hexes since yesterday?

It's hosed. My guess is the Essex is in that critical "go slow or else we flood" damage stage

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone played War in the West?

Only kind of related: I'm looking for something kind of in between this game and the normal Paradox-type games I play. Can be any time period but I want something that's more fun than work.

Love: battles, OOB, generals with stats, UIs designed by a human with feelings

Hate: stats for camshaft production, modern warfare, graphics worse than War in the Pacific

Any suggestions?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Only kind of related: I'm looking for something kind of in between this game and the normal Paradox-type games I play. Can be any time period but I want something that's more fun than work.

Hate: stats for camshaft production, modern warfare, graphics worse than War in the Pacific

Any suggestions?

Ultimate General: Gettysburg and UG: Civil War might be what you're looking for

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Ultimate General: Gettysburg and UG: Civil War might be what you're looking for

I actually started playing UG: Civil War last week and I love it (although I'd also love to play something with more persistent armies and territory). I thought Forge of Freedom was pretty fun too, but there were some very clunky aspects of that game, especially how OP the player was in tactical mode. Ideally I'd like a game that has the tactical battles of Ultimate General (the AI is pretty excellent) with a much more robust strategic level.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Any suggestions?

The Decisive Campaigns games (Warsaw to Paris, Case Blue, Barbarossa) are all good and occupy a space roughly between Paradox and a game like this, in terms of complexity. There are also lots of goons who play them if you want to multiplayer it up (and WtP is unique in that there are scenarios that involve multiple players per side).

Advanced Tactics Gold is sort of an ancestor to that series and is much more complex, but also great (and great for multiplayer). UI leaves a lot to be desired though and it shows its age compared to the other games.

War in the West is... not good. The land war is okay I guess, and I actually enjoy planning out naval invasions in that game. But the air game is just so horrendously bad that it ruins the entire experience.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Decisive Campaigns looks great. Which one would you recommend to start with?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Decisive Campaigns looks great. Which one would you recommend to start with?

WtP and Case Blue are very similar. Infantry artillery and aircraft are on map and take orders, divisions are broken down into 4 counters so you have more fine-tune control. Barbarossa has aircraft and artillery abstracted so you only move whole divisions around which are single chits now. It's also got a neat political system for the Germans and an army re-organization thing for the Soviets. Honestly just get any of them and dive in, Case Blue is probably the most daunting because the map is so huge and there's no simpler Poland campaign like WtP where you can get used to how the game plays.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm personally partial to Barbarossa, the political layer is really unique and fun. The constant slapfights between Train Nazi and Truck Nazi are pure gold.

Saros did a nice little LP of it if you want to check it out before buying.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793900&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Barbarossa is probably the best of the Decisive Campaigns games. I have two other games I'd recommend. One is Strategic Command: WWII Global Conflict. It's an older game, and shows its age, but it's still fun. Another good game, although more limited in scope and less "grand strategy" is Unity of Command, which is about the Battle of Stalingrad, and its DLC : Black Turn, which is about the beginning of Barbarossa, and Red Turn, about the Soviet counteroffensive.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

9 August 1943

Italian destroyer Vincenzo Gioberti, struck by torpedoes fired by British submarine Simoom at the cruiser Giuseppe Garibaldi, which evaded them. Last Italian destroyer sunk before the armistice.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Last Italian destroyer sunk before the armistice.

:italy:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Epicurius posted:

Another good game, although more limited in scope and less "grand strategy" is Unity of Command, which is about the Battle of Stalingrad, and its DLC : Black Turn, which is about the beginning of Barbarossa, and Red Turn, about the Soviet counteroffensive.

UoC is a very good gateway drug to grog games.It has a clean, easy to use interface, nice graphics, and a bunch of scenarios many of which are shorter. The scenarios do tend to be puzzle-like in that there are a limited range of perfect strategies. Even so, you will pick up a good appreciation of Eastern Front operational warfare, "blitzkrieg", supply lines and such. Chits are divisions and can have supporting arms attached to them, air power is represented by a limited number of air strikes you can use per turn, and supply is king.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Any suggestions?

This thread will set you up with even more suggestions.

And despite it only meeting half your criteria, I'll suggest Rule the Waves. I totally fails your UI and graphics criteria, but it's one of the best grog games you can get for less than $50.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
And another brigade of marines heads to the briny depths. Still no carrier - yet. We shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, its obvious my captains don't think the wounded fleet carrier is a priority, I shall have words with them.
While they're going into the hatch of a Kaiten?