Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I can't grok this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I can't grok this.

Drunkduck is whining about the fact that some conservative blowhard got shut down at Berkley. i.e. Incredibles won't come out until hell freezes over

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Except the Incredibles 2 movie has already been confirmed. :confused:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Except the Incredibles 2 movie has already been confirmed. :confused:

He may also be stupid and drunk.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Drizvolta posted:

Dammit Rall don't make me agree with you on something :argh:

I feel like he's defending the guy who got fired?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I went to that silly comics person's twitter and clicked around a bit and wow uh poorly drawn cutesy neo-nazi webcomics seem to be kind of a burgeoning scene? At least they've all got fuckall followers from what I can tell, but goddamn

https://twitter.com/Red_Panels/status/893598929723559938

At least they're completely loving incompetent on a technical level for the most part

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

HAT FETISH posted:

I went to that silly comics person's twitter and clicked around a bit and wow uh poorly drawn cutesy neo-nazi webcomics seem to be kind of a burgeoning scene? At least they've all got fuckall followers from what I can tell, but goddamn

At least they're completely loving incompetent on a technical level for the most part

That is an impressive strawman.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Haters will hate, but having that occasional Zelda strip is making keeping up with this thread a lot easier.

Fulchrum posted:

Is this more people thinking that you're supposed to like Rorschach?
I was more referring to his more recent works, but from what I remember of Watchmen I don't think Snyder had nearly the same perspective on Rorschach that Moore did. Which is not to say all of his works are ~problematic~ (that owl movie was pretty anti-fascist, and I will defend Sucker Punch until the end), just that he's more concerned with style than substance and the politics that come with his aesthetic aren't always exactly liberal.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

tyblazitar posted:

Haters will hate, but having that occasional Zelda strip is making keeping up with this thread a lot easier.

I was more referring to his more recent works, but from what I remember of Watchmen I don't think Snyder had nearly the same perspective on Rorschach that Moore did. Which is not to say all of his works are ~problematic~ (that owl movie was pretty anti-fascist, and I will defend Sucker Punch until the end), just that he's more concerned with style than substance and the politics that come with his aesthetic aren't always exactly liberal.

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty good. But the fact that his dream project is to remake The Fountainhead should tell you most of what you need to know about his politics.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Jackard posted:

Yea sounds like alt-right horseshit masquerading as a cutesy comic

Women have never had bad opinions

https://twitter.com/harharstrips/status/845732666460819458

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hey, this one has an actual joke in it!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Jurgan posted:

I'm not aware of any elected office that's open to twelve year olds.

If a dog can be mayor, why not a young female ambiguously brown mouthpiece for a bitter old white man?

Ignoring reports of sexual violence is a rather severe accusation. Do you have any evidence, or are you just saying 'wouldn't this thing that doesn't happen be terrible?'

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Keiya posted:

Ignoring reports of sexual violence is a rather severe accusation. Do you have any evidence, or are you just saying 'wouldn't this thing that doesn't happen be terrible?'
I can't imagine it's not the latter.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Internet Nazis are intellectually dishonest?! Well I never!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

HAT FETISH posted:

LMAO.

I personally know a guy who reported an older male engineer to HR for creepy behavior at Google. The company took it extremely seriously and the problem was quickly resolved.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Here's the thing: You can take kids to ANY restaurant and they'll be happy because they're getting fed.

This is absolutely false at least until they're like 15 or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fister Roboto posted:

This is absolutely false at least until they're like 15 or something.

Well, any restaurant that serves burgers and fries.

Most of the time.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

HAT FETISH posted:

I'm almost certain these are all drawn by the same guy that does red panels.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:, same-sex marriage postal plebiscite debate day one.

Pope:

Rowe:

Tony Abbott: “And I say to you if you don’t like same-sex marriage, vote no. If you’re worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech, vote no, and if you don’t like political correctness, vote no because voting no will help to stop political correctness in its tracks.”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is Abbott especially worse than Turnbull, kinda like Bush Jr. compared to Bush Sr., or are they both scumfucks and Turnbull is just more competent at it?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pants Donkey posted:

Is Abbott especially worse than Turnbull, kinda like Bush Jr. compared to Bush Sr., or are they both scumfucks and Turnbull is just more competent at it?

Turnbull should, in principle, be better than Abbott, except he sold out all his principles to just shill warmed over Abbott policies to mollify the further right wing of the party. So it kind of depends on if you prefer "open, honestly terrible" or "weak willed prick that threw everything that might have made him appealing away to grasp onto a tenuous sense of power that he's constantly having to self flagellate to hold on to."

Neither of them are competent at it given that Abbott was ousted and Turbull went to a double dissolution because the senate wasn't amenable to his agenda and came back with an even slimmer margin than he went in with.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 9, 2017

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jurgan posted:

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty good. But the fact that his dream project is to remake The Fountainhead should tell you most of what you need to know about his politics.

What do you think that says about his politics?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

Turnbull should, in principle, be better than Abbott, except he sold out all his principles to just shill warmed over Abbott policies to mollify the further right wing of the party. So it kind of depends on if you prefer "open, honestly terrible" or "weak willed prick that threw everything that might have made him appealing away to grasp onto a tenuous sense of power that he's constantly having to self flagellate to hold on to."

Neither of them are competent at it given that Abbott was ousted and Turbull went to a double dissolution because the senate wasn't amenable to his agenda and came back with an even slimmer margin than he went in with.
Basically this. The numbers are so thin that Turnbull needs literally every MP to get anything done and the conservatives are using this to threaten splits if he even vaguely coughs anything that sounds moderate. The Australian Liberal Party is in the middle of a messy ideological war and it seems with their membership skewing way conservative that that side is winning, drat the consequences of what that means when a major party is way off the political centre in a country with compulsory voting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ragnar34 posted:

Which is why 300 is such an amazing self-own. I mean, I don't want to die on this hill or anything, but 300 makes the most sense if you treat it as a string of fashy bullshit invented by a Spartan bard to make these pricks look like badasses. Then again, I don't think the people who loved it really watched it from that angle, kind of like Fight Club, so whatever I guess.

That wasn't the intent of anyone involved in either the comic or the film, but I guess you can keep thinking that's what the movie's saying?

HAT FETISH posted:

Just another reason not to signal boost them in this loving thread.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 9, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So turnbull is just a more spineless and horrible May, but there's no one else the Aussies would vote for?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crabtree posted:

So turnbull is just a more spineless and horrible May, but there's no one else the Aussies would vote for?

I don't know enough about Britpol at the moment to really compare Trumble to May, but the weird thing at the moment is that polling still has Malc as preferred PM while his party the LibNat coalition are trailing behind the Australian Labor Party by a fair margin. Part of that is that the ALP last elected as their leader a paper bag that occasionally refers to the notes that get scrawled on it instead of anyone actually driven to do anything and that it's really just going "small target" while the LNP keep making GBS threads themselves with own goals (an admittedly successful strategy so far) but for the most part that's working okay.

The problem is that a lot of our electorate are driven by a rabid "well if we could come in by boat and take the country from the original browns, what's to stop these Muslemen from doing the same to us!?" xenophobia that the LNP managed to whip into a bit of a furor a couple of elections back and they and a few smaller, more racist parties have been mostly cvrusing on that wave.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
it was either malcolm turnbull or blatt sharting

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

it was either malcolm turnbull or blatt sharting

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Cross posting from the ancient history thread:

The basic tl;dr is that up until Thermopylae Sparta wasn't known as a particularly fearsome or militaristic society but the legendary status they gained from it became a self-fulfilling prophecy as citizens wanted to live up to their mostly-imagined reputation.

This is silly. Herodotus, writing a generation after Thermopylae, gives us the story and praises their conduct there, but he's pretty scornful of them at a lot of other times, like how they helped provoke the Persians by supporting the Ionian Revolt or how they dragged their feet before Marathon and the Athenians and allies had to fight without them.

Thermopylae and Plataea (the real victory in the second war) are framed as something of a redemption for Sparta after their failures in the first war, but it's very clear they had an outsized reputation already and could back it up. They did rule most of the Peloponnesse at that point and we're probably the strongest Greek city. Hell, loving Homer wrote about Menelaus and the Spartans as great warriors centuries earlier (although that wasn't quite the same group of "Lacedaemonians" Herodotus wrote about).

The best evidence for the Spartans' reputation as warriors is probably that they were given command of both the Greek army and navy during the second Persian war (even though their fleet was tiny). There's a whole story about how Themistocles the Athenian commander had to essentially trick the Spartan admiral into fighting the Persians at a favorable moment because he didn't have enough clout to overrule him directly.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Heck yeah I'd vote for Klaymen

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Lmfao at the idea that a SA thread can signal boost anything.

Anyway, i come to this thread to see the lovely conservative viewpoints (+ ted rall) so please continue to post the dumdum bad twitter comics

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cheen posted:

Lmfao at the idea that a SA thread can signal boost anything.

Anyway, i come to this thread to see the lovely conservative viewpoints (+ ted rall) so please continue to post the dumdum bad twitter comics

There's a difference between dumdum bad and "explicitly white supremacist".

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a difference between dumdum bad and "explicitly white supremacist".

Sure - and i still am interested to see how they attempt to get their lovely point across in a poorly drawn comic.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Lurdiak posted:

It's the same red panels dude. He got it in his head to diversify his hate comics because five patreon accounts is better than one. Yall are really bad at the internet.

But that's a pretty silly reason for not discussing political cartoons in the something awful political cartoon thread.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

agc?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Cheen posted:

Sure - and i still am interested to see how they attempt to get their lovely point across in a poorly drawn comic.

https://twitter.com/harharstrips/status/894989411246538752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jurgan posted:

This one just got referenced on the excellent podcast Pod Save America. The host wouldn't even say Cernovich's name because he didn't want to validate him.

Yeah that was a weird thing to hear mentioned

• Locked thread