Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
https://youtu.be/2m2EGXlwMIs

this is an excellent video for all the engine parts and how they fit together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Appreciate the recommendations, thanks everyone!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've got a motorcycle from 1976. Is there a drop-in 7" round sealed beam LED replacement that's on the order of $50? I'm using a car lamp right now and the beam pattern isn't symmetrical; it's clipped on the left. Should I worry about the LED Heat sinks, if any, melting the lump of wiring sitting in the back of the headlight bucket?

These headlights are acceptably bright, but noticeably yellow and the vibration seems to kill one or the other filament after a couple of months. For like $12 at wal-mart, it's not breaking the bank to replace them every oil change, but getting a vibe-resistant (and white) replacement would be nice.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 8, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Clipped on the left is a feature, not a bug. They're supposed to be like that. Noticeably yellow is just good for your night vision. Good quality bulbs should handle some vibes just fine. A carb sync (if relevant/required), some new rubber bushings for the headlight and a quality bulb will be a better solution, since the LED thing will cause a bunch of other problems, both thermal, electrical and possibly legal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also some degree of acceptance of the fact that vehicles in the seventies had crap lights the same way they had crap suspension and tyres.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I've got a motorcycle from 1976. Is there a drop-in 7" round sealed beam LED replacement that's on the order of $50? I'm using a car lamp right now and the beam pattern isn't symmetrical; it's clipped on the left. Should I worry about the LED Heat sinks, if any, melting the lump of wiring sitting in the back of the headlight bucket?

These headlights are acceptably bright, but noticeably yellow and the vibration seems to kill one or the other filament after a couple of months. For like $12 at wal-mart, it's not breaking the bank to replace them every oil change, but getting a vibe-resistant (and white) replacement would be nice.
If it's Japanese you'll run into issues fitting anything other than the stock bulb/reflector in the housing, you may just want to replace the whole headlight. The Japanese had a thing for putting every possible object inside the headlight shell to the point that it's hard to install the bulbs even with stock wiring in there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If it's Japanese you'll run into issues fitting anything other than the stock bulb/reflector in the housing, you may just want to replace the whole headlight. The Japanese had a thing for putting every possible object inside the headlight shell to the point that it's hard to install the bulbs even with stock wiring in there.

Not an OEM front bucket, apparently, as it takes standard automotive 7" round lamps.

Also, I just read "FMVSS 108: LABORATORY TEST PROCEDURE FOR Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment" and the maximum brightness for a motorcycle high beam is 10,000 lumens with 24 degree horizontal spread and 6 degree vertical (+2 -4). Low beams have a +.5U° 1.5L° cutoff with maximum brightness of like 800 lumens. Also, motorcycle lamps must have the words "motorcycle" on them, and stand up to much harsher vibration and corrosion tests.

Standard color temperature is 2854K, which is pretty yellow.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

That snapped screw is the screw that holds the cover to my oil filter on. Umm I'm completely hosed aren't I.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What is "a motorcycle?"

I don't know if you can call it a "drop-in" but I got a 7" H4 housing for my CL350 that pretty much just snapped into place, and then stuck an LED bulb in it for another $50 and it's super great, like 10x as bright as the original while using a few watts less (always good with the lovely alternators on old bikes). Can't be arsed to find my old order but I got it on Amazon and it was like 30 dollars I think. The beam pattern isn't too glarey.

Ola posted:

Clipped on the left is a feature, not a bug. They're supposed to be like that.

On cars it's a feature (maybe even a requirement?), because you can get better illumination while limiting glare. Motorcycle sealed beams are supposed to be symmetrical, though, because otherwise you would get drastically different throws through left vs right turns as the vehicle leans. Take a close look at an OEM lens.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Give it to me straight bike goons, is this an okay choice for a beginner bike? 1984 Honda VT500 Ascot for $850: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/d/1984-honda-ascot-vt500/6253181820.html

He says it has mileage around the high 20s, has a TINY oil leak, like droplets, that doesn't affect consumption, and rides great. I know I'm gonna drop this thing trying to park it on a hill one day, or someone will just pick it up and = drive it off in a pickup truck, so I'm trying to keep it cheap. I want to have a bike to just roam around SF without worrying about my car having parking at my building when I'm back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Revvik posted:

That snapped screw is the screw that holds the cover to my oil filter on. Umm I'm completely hosed aren't I.

I know how to help with this. PM me and I can give you some tips.

You've got comprehensive, right?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

Oh fffff. Had that happen while torque wrenching the same bolt on my WR250x. Fortunately, the left over bit wasn't under friction or anything, and came right out when I drilled it. Have you tried drilling it out, with the bit going counter clockwise?

Shogunner posted:

Give it to me straight bike goons, is this an okay choice for a beginner bike? 1984 Honda VT500 Ascot for $850: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/d/1984-honda-ascot-vt500/6253181820.html

He says it has mileage around the high 20s, has a TINY oil leak, like droplets, that doesn't affect consumption, and rides great. I know I'm gonna drop this thing trying to park it on a hill one day, or someone will just pick it up and = drive it off in a pickup truck, so I'm trying to keep it cheap. I want to have a bike to just roam around SF without worrying about my car having parking at my building when I'm back.

gently caress no it's not. Get a ninja 250 and a good lock.

edit:
Get this DR for like 800 if you are dead set on a solid beginner junk bike. It wont let you down, unlike that other thing. Expect a previous owner nightmare, but should be salvagable.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/powerful-suzuki-650-dr/6255532394.html
Or get this EX250
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2006-ninja-exobo/6254128304.html

edit edit:
Also, buy me this holy gently caress that's a steal for a DR650 tank
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mpo/d/suzuki-dr650-original-gas-tank/6249605415.html

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 9, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Oh fffff. Had that happen while torque wrenching the same bolt on my WR250x. Fortunately, the left over bit wasn't under friction or anything, and came right out when I drilled it. Have you tried drilling it out, with the bit going counter clockwise?

It looks like I'm going shopping tomorrow for some lefty bits. I swear I had a loving panic attack though.

Chichevache posted:

I know how to help with this. PM me and I can give you some tips.

You've got comprehensive, right?

I'll laugh pretty hard at this when it's all over :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ascots are pretty tame and forgiving.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ascots are pretty tame and forgiving.

Yes, but 30 year old bike with 'a tiny oil leak' == months of scouring ebay to buy all the 5000% marked up, no-longer-available parts to fix whatever is causing it to not run this week.

You never buy an old bike as a first bike unless you're buying it as warm-up for mechanics' school instead of for riding.

He should just get an EX250.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Revvik posted:

Can you remove the cover? Should be able to just walk it out once the cover is off.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nah cover comes off fine but the half a screw is sitting flush with the block. Going to try reverse bits tomorrow. And antidepressants.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Coydog posted:

gently caress no it's not. Get a ninja 250 and a good lock.

edit:
Get this DR for like 800 if you are dead set on a solid beginner junk bike. It wont let you down, unlike that other thing. Expect a previous owner nightmare, but should be salvagable.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/powerful-suzuki-650-dr/6255532394.html
Or get this EX250
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2006-ninja-exobo/6254128304.html

edit edit:
Also, buy me this holy gently caress that's a steal for a DR650 tank
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mpo/d/suzuki-dr650-original-gas-tank/6249605415.html

Interesting options, but I'm not going to lie, I kind of hate sport bikes. What's wrong with the Ascot? Too slow? Bulky? I kind of have a huge crush on ugly old UJMs. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shogunner posted:

Interesting options, but I'm not going to lie, I kind of hate sport bikes. What's wrong with the Ascot? Too slow? Bulky? I kind of have a huge crush on ugly old UJMs. :(

Your answer is right here:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes, but 30 year old bike with 'a tiny oil leak' == months of scouring ebay to buy all the 5000% marked up, no-longer-available parts to fix whatever is causing it to not run this week.

You never buy an old bike as a first bike unless you're buying it as warm-up for mechanics' school instead of for riding.

He should just get an EX250.

He is not exaggerating. Your first bike is not your last bike and it doesn't need to be this amazing thing that will wow your friends and family and fulfil your life ambitions. You just need something friendly and dependable because nothing sucks more than not being able to ride because your 'classic' poo poo the bed again. It also sucks torpedoing yourself into a ditch because you decided to learn on something with lots of weight and garbage brakes/tyres.

Once you learn to avoid falling over and stop causing yourself DIY mechanical injuries you can then step up to the bullshit hipster bike of your dreams, safe in the knowledge you won't slowly tip over at a traffic light and destroy dozens of impossible-to-replace fittings.

Also 'too slow' is not a problem any first time rider ever had in the history of the world and if they tell you they did they're a goddamn liar or they started on a 50cc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ascots are pretty good in the handling department. They used to have their own race series like the ninja 250 and SV have these days. So as far as handling it's probably actually pretty good for 80's standards.

The problem is still that it's an older bike with an oil leak. Unless you like wrenching you aren't solving that oil leak easily or quickly. By the 80's, oil leaks were just not a thing for Japanese bikes, so this indicates something is going on. It might be as simple as a paper gasket and an oil change, it might be as complicated as a warped head and all that it implies.

The PO put an aftermarket speedo on because he didn't "feel like messing with the stock one". This doesn't bode well for his/her abilities.

Also, I get it, I own and daily drive a Honda Elite that I bought in boxes and reassembled. Before it was put in boxes it spent at least 20 years outside leaned up against a shed not running. Any older bike can be brought back with enough effort. Your first bike though? Probably should be more of a rider and less of a wrencher. I also wouldn't buy the DR650 linked either. That reeks of PO fuckery.

The ascot is a good bike™. This ascot, however, may be a bit of a problem child.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Right. I appreciate the advice goons. I'll keep searching.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Remember that spending extra for a good bike will save you money (not to mention time) over a "cheap" bike. A beater 1k bike could easily be an $1800 bike in getting it up to snuff or dealing with things breaking.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If I find a cheap bike mechanic willing to stay late to get work done for me, but they say they intend to use a bubble balancer for the tire, do I sever?

Bonus round: What if it's right around the corner from a great bar?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fifty Three posted:

If I find a cheap bike mechanic willing to stay late to get work done for me, but they say they intend to use a bubble balancer for the tire, do I sever?

Bonus round: What if it's right around the corner from a great bar?

How do you get your bike home afterwards? :can:

tjones
May 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

They could ride the mechanic

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chichevache posted:

If the wheels are bubble balanced, you can be drunk on champagne and it's no problem.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Is this overpriced? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/unstoppable-bmw-r65/6255344018.html

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You don't want that one either.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats your budget and how important is it to look "cool" compared to having a motorcycle that starts everytime and doesnt piss oil constantly?

Are you interested in a fun method of transportation or a fashion statement? is your helmet going to look like
this?

or this?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 10, 2017

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
It's kind of a fashion statement, but one with reason. I think any sort of decent looking sportsbike would just get lifted into a pickup truck and taken if I ever left it on the street during the day. At night, I'm 100% someone would break into my building's front gate to do the same. This happened to 3 bicycles we had in the front of our building. I know two people in my office, who live near my neighborhood, that had their bikes taken (and then spotted) in the license plate-less sportbike gangs that cause chaos rolling through San Francisco on occasion.

This would all be way less likely if the bike kinda looked like poo poo. I'm probably going to ride it 500-1000 miles a year at max. I drive a newer BMW coupe and probably put 200 miles a month on it as it is. As for helmets, I'm getting a new Shoei. Not gonna ever leave it outside.

~ c i t y l i f e ~

edit: to clarify, if I get anything with any sort of value, i'll still pay for comprehensive insurance, but i'd rather avoid the annoyance in the first place

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 10, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fauxtool posted:

whats your budget and how important is it to look "cool" compared to having a motorcycle that starts everytime and doesnt piss oil constantly?

Are you interested in a fun method of transportation or a fashion statement? is your helmet going to look like
this?

or this?

dunno what you're on about, my rf1200 with tranny visor looks dope

M42
Nov 12, 2012

bro, you have literally no first hand experience. buy a ninja 250 and take the fairings off/put a round headlight on. don't buy some old boken bullshit older than me for $2500 :laffo:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bubble balancers are actually quite accurate if you're willing to put the time into using them. Disappointed to see the racism against bubble balancers in this thread.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you.

Seriously get a trashed up fairing EX250 like M42 suggests and do what she suggests. Plus, it looks great.

Ohhh... you touch my tralala

Alternatively, my buddy did what you want to do, hoping to fix up some 80s thing. Bike looks FANTASTIC, and every time he goes for a ride something else breaks that keeps him from riding for a month or two. Don't do that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shogunner posted:

It's kind of a fashion statement, but one with reason. I think any sort of decent looking sportsbike would just get lifted into a pickup truck and taken if I ever left it on the street during the day. At night, I'm 100% someone would break into my building's front gate to do the same. This happened to 3 bicycles we had in the front of our building. I know two people in my office, who live near my neighborhood, that had their bikes taken (and then spotted) in the license plate-less sportbike gangs that cause chaos rolling through San Francisco on occasion.

This would all be way less likely if the bike kinda looked like poo poo. I'm probably going to ride it 500-1000 miles a year at max. I drive a newer BMW coupe and probably put 200 miles a month on it as it is. As for helmets, I'm getting a new Shoei. Not gonna ever leave it outside.

~ c i t y l i f e ~

edit: to clarify, if I get anything with any sort of value, i'll still pay for comprehensive insurance, but i'd rather avoid the annoyance in the first place

You really want an old patinaed BMW R series because you think it's safer from theft?

Bullshit.

Shogunner posted:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razzled posted:

dunno what you're on about, my rf1200 with tranny visor looks dope

both those helmets are dope for different reasons. I wasn't bagging on either one just seeing if he was self aware enough to realize he doesnt want the bikes he wants for any of the right reasons

I say buy that BMW despite being told not to because you seem to be fishing for agreement over real advice. Or get an r6 because you are just going to upgrade later so why wait?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 10, 2017

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ola posted:

If the wheels are bubble balanced, you can be drunk on champagne and it's no problem.
That's synergy!

Chichevache posted:

A fair point. Perhaps... moderation?

At any rate, it went well. Except for the part where I didn't check the right side of the wheel closely enough and noticed it was scratched in multiple places when I got home from scrubbing the tire. :(

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You really want an old patinaed BMW R series because you think it's safer from theft?

Bullshit.

I mean our front gate got destroyed and $4500 worth of bicycles got taken in the span of like 3 minutes last month, so no it's not bullshit. Fairing removal for the Ninja 250 seems really easy so I'm definitely way more open to one now.

As for motorcycle theft, you literally do see gangs of 30+ stolen bikes roll through the streets without plates hopping curbs and holding up intersections here frequently. I live on a high traffic road and see one roll by at least once a month.

that all being said, gently caress these things are plentiful

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/kawasaki-ninja-250r/6252034007.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/2007-kawasaki-ninja-250/6256357492.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/great-condition-low-milage/6245447406.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2007-kawasaki-ninja-250-great/6252414819.html

i was WRONG

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look at the ones with fewer replaced mechanical components. Aftermarket lights and mufflers are ok, but different wheels and forks with various engine upgrades can be evidence of poorly done fuckery and bent frames. For resale value's sake avoid salvage title unless its an amazing deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shogunner posted:

I mean our front gate got destroyed and $4500 worth of bicycles got taken in the span of like 3 minutes last month, so no it's not bullshit. Fairing removal for the Ninja 250 seems really easy so I'm definitely way more open to one now.

As for motorcycle theft, you literally do see gangs of 30+ stolen bikes roll through the streets without plates hopping curbs and holding up intersections here frequently. I live on a high traffic road and see one roll by at least once a month.

that all being said, gently caress these things are plentiful

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/kawasaki-ninja-250r/6252034007.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/2007-kawasaki-ninja-250/6256357492.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/great-condition-low-milage/6245447406.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2007-kawasaki-ninja-250-great/6252414819.html

i was WRONG

Get that last one.