Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

got any sevens posted:

wtf dont shock the doggie

seriously thats what paid volunteers are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/andreagonram/status/895025693687414785

if a new party does emerge (and please jesus do it soon), it's new symbol should be the horse whip because goddamn does the establishment ever loving need to be driven out with one.

Just lmao that the dems have more slaves than the GOP

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

johnson took as much from clinton as trump, if not more. his biggest bloc of support were young voters who wanted weed and didn't like war

i mean it doesn't mean those stein voters wouldn't have ended up not voting or whatev

the last time you said this i asked you what you were basing it on and you never responded

libertarian voters are probably paulites who would never vote for clinton in a jillion years plus johnson probably got a boost from nevertrump republicans who didn't want to vote for mcmuffin for some reason

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Who is that one elected official who's all into anime and poo poo?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who is that one elected official who's all into anime and poo poo?

robert morrow, champion of the people

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Primary every piece of poo poo who doesn't support medicare-for-all.

And then primary the supporters, too, because they're going to vote against it when the time comes.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXTi4KxKBUM

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Shear Modulus posted:

the last time you said this i asked you what you were basing it on and you never responded

libertarian voters are probably paulites who would never vote for clinton in a jillion years plus johnson probably got a boost from nevertrump republicans who didn't want to vote for mcmuffin for some reason

there just aren't that many paulites. most people just don't know that much about the 3rd party candidates beyond the big issues they tout, and in the case of johnson the only thing he talked about was weed and war. for a particular segment of voters who cared the most about those two issues, he was their candidate because clinton was quite frankly not very good on those at all. stein often wasn't even on the ballot in many states, or voters had no idea who she was while johnson had been around for awhile.

quote:

A pre-debate Battleground Poll of swing states made clear, however, the extent of Clinton’s challenge among the young. When compared only with Trump, Clinton performed well among millennials: 68 percent trusted her more than him to defend the middle class, 64 percent to handle foreign policy, and 61 percent to manage the economy. But in a four-way contest with Trump, Johnson, and Green Party nominee Jill Stein, she commanded just 46 percent support, with 26 percent for Trump, 18 percent for Johnson, and 5 percent for Stein. In every poll that has broken down its respondents by age, Johnson’s level of support among the young is several times higher than among their elders.

there's like a million points of data on this, but basically the idea that libertarians take mostly from the gop has never really been correct on presidential level - johnson in particular has always focused his campaigns on trying to win young voters rather than older ones. he has never really seriously tried to be president, he mainly talks about weed and war because he wants to peel off young voters and introduce them to libertarianism. even down the ballot, in my own campaign last year with a libertarian on the ballot, our polling consistently showed us doing worse in the 3-way vs. the head-to-head.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oh Snapple! posted:

well at least it took you a few posts to blame the woman i guess!!!

You'll notice Jill Stein was blamed in the very first post, but I thank you for this new angle, I haven''t considered calling the anti-Steinians misogynist

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Lets not forget that it was No Confidence that cost this election by stealing votes

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ThndrShk2k posted:

Lets not forget that it was No Confidence that cost this election by stealing votes

Personally I blame the dastardly voters for not having confidence in either major candidate

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

there's like a million points of data on this, but basically the idea that libertarians take mostly from the gop has never really been correct on presidential level - johnson in particular has always focused his campaigns on trying to win young voters rather than older ones. he has never really seriously tried to be president, he mainly talks about weed and war because he wants to peel off young voters and introduce them to libertarianism. even down the ballot, in my own campaign last year with a libertarian on the ballot, our polling consistently showed us doing worse in the 3-way vs. the head-to-head.

These bar graphs do not correspond with actual recorded voter behavior (among other things polling @ 10% in Sep 16, vs. 3% of vote in Nov), so unless you have a way to separate who voted in line with their stated ideal preferences, and who didn't, they are worthless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was sort of excessive to call it a cult of personality, but

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/895166374787633153

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
'khive'

you know the funny thing is that trump actually went out there and spewed the crazy himself in order to build up a cult following. this harris stuff is weirder in that regard

cripes even hillary had a few decades to make something out of her humiliating bullshit

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't wait to have to choose between andrew cuomo, cory booker and kamala harris for the democratic primary in 2020 lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The kind of cultists desperately looking for something to worship. It's like how in Exodus God couldn't leave the Israelites alone for five minutes without them worshipping a calf or a rock or a dead frog.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
isnt khive some kind of fruit

like a dragon fruit

or some kind of bullshit made up jamba juicero motherfucking vegetable like kale

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
google imagse isnt giving me anyhthing on khive but it did return a hit on The Mooch :confused:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl posted:

isnt khive some kind of fruit

like a dragon fruit

or some kind of bullshit made up jamba juicero motherfucking vegetable like kale

this poo poo's giving me khives

Inescapable Duck posted:

The kind of cultists desperately looking for something to worship. It's like how in Exodus God couldn't leave the Israelites alone for five minutes without them worshipping a calf or a rock or a dead frog.

Frog-god 2020

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

thats chives. khives is the rash i get from my thighs rubbing together

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

steinrokkan posted:

These bar graphs do not correspond with actual recorded voter behavior (among other things polling @ 10% in Sep 16, vs. 3% of vote in Nov), so unless you have a way to separate who voted in line with their stated ideal preferences, and who didn't, they are worthless.

it's hard to break out because (per usual) 3rd party support collapsed in october so we can't really see differences between 3rd party candidates, but CIRCLE did a post-election analysis of exits that said:

among 18-29 there was essentially no drop in support among gop young voters, while dems lost ground to 3rd parties. 30-44 was more even but doesn't come close to matching what happened among voters in their 20s. johnson obtained between 60-70% in third party vote, so it's fairly clear that is virtually impossible unless voters that normally would be inclined to vote democratic ended up switching to johnson

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/andreagonram/status/895025693687414785

if a new party does emerge (and please jesus do it soon), it's new symbol should be the horse whip because goddamn does the establishment ever loving need to be driven out with one.

I had a friend who worked for a senator and she needed to waitress at Tortilla Coast to cover the bills.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So is Khive supposed to be pronounced key-hive?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You should notice that in that pie chart the Dem share of the young vote is identical to the 2-way poll you posted earlier - i.e. the best case Dem result. Meanwhile the GOP share is decreased. So it seems the third party candidates didn't really harm Dems predominantly?

Yes, Dem vote shrunk compared to 2012, which is self evident from the election results, but in the context of the 2016 polls you have provided, which is what we are talking about, it is the GOP which lost votes compared to a two way match. So really the conclusion appears to be that the Dems lost the relative advantage from 2012 thanks to their poor campaign rather than because of third parties...

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Aug 9, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
:effort:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Kinda looks like a booster seat with a lifted tray

I blame font choice and the color scheme.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

it's hard to break out because (per usual) 3rd party support collapsed in october so we can't really see differences between 3rd party candidates, but CIRCLE did a post-election analysis of exits that said:

among 18-29 there was essentially no drop in support among gop young voters, while dems lost ground to 3rd parties. 30-44 was more even but doesn't come close to matching what happened among voters in their 20s. johnson obtained between 60-70% in third party vote, so it's fairly clear that is virtually impossible unless voters that normally would be inclined to vote democratic ended up switching to johnson

'Other' includes No Confidence
:smugbert:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the day i learned what the gobbledygook 'slay queen' meant was when i understood what it meant to be privately embarrassed by a meme

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/phonycian/status/895126368652062720

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Muppets On PCP posted:

this but the exact opposite

pretty much every large scale infrastructure project at both state and federal levels has been built in primarily rural areas for the several decades

bringing home pork projects and slapping their name on it is the hick congressman's stock-in-trade

There are parts of southern Virginia that look downright post apocalyptic

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ThndrShk2k posted:

Kinda looks like a booster seat with a lifted tray

I blame font choice and the color scheme.

typography is well shite m8

light green tvrgid wang on an h, brilliant

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dark green: Me, talking about Kamala
Light green: Me, talking about Bernie

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

we're talking about a gradual increase in the likelihood of someone experiencing nuclear incineration and they're trotting out the economy like they did with healthcare

jesus god gently caress

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Virginia-Lt-Gov-Ralph-Northam-calls-for-decriminalization-of-marijuana-439169153.html

Northam actually took a suggestion for legal weed and ran with it :eyepop:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Office Pig posted:

the day i learned what the gobbledygook 'slay queen' meant was when i understood what it meant to be privately embarrassed by a meme

it means slaver queen

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Office Pig posted:

we're talking about a gradual increase in the likelihood of someone experiencing nuclear incineration and they're trotting out the economy like they did with healthcare

jesus god gently caress

shareblue is a cult

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Office Pig posted:

jesus god gently caress

but will that solve racism

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Office Pig posted:

The most embarrassing part of the whole meme was she's terrible on the debate floor.

It was surreal to see the debates and then see the media say the complete opposite of what happened for the primaries.
She didn't do any better in the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

steinrokkan posted:

You should notice that in that pie chart the Dem share of the young vote is identical to the 2-way poll you posted earlier - i.e. the best case Dem result. Meanwhile the GOP share is decreased. So it seems the third party candidates didn't really harm Dems predominantly?

Yes, Dem vote shrunk compared to 2012, which is self evident from the election results, but in the context of the 2016 polls you have provided, which is what we are talking about, it is the GOP which lost votes compared to a two way match. So really the conclusion appears to be that the Dems lost the relative advantage from 2012 thanks to their poor campaign rather than because of third parties...

first they're not really directly comparable in that way, and also that includes like double digit undecideds so it would mean every single undecided voter broke to trump between that poll and november. not very likely.

anyway, my point is not that "third parties harmed clinton." it's possible they did a little damage, but in this case i think they were mainly protest votes as both third party candidates were pretty lackluster. protest voters probably would write in "cheeseburger" before they voted for a mainstream candidate, so the actual presence of third parties on the ballot isn't super relevant. but i think the idea that johnson is full of real life libertarians or nevertrumpers just isn't true, it's just another outlet of democratic-leaning young voters who didn't want to vote for hillary.

ThndrShk2k posted:

'Other' includes No Confidence
:smugbert:

it actually does not

• Locked thread