Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Never quite understood why 'engineering out the hazard' didn't result in wall mounted lights in stairwells, rather than hoping whomever turns up to change a tube has the right flavour of ladder to do the job safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7xd6TLUaM for content. I think that the only people tied off are on the ground waiting for the mortuary van.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Our HR guy made me buy a $1600 ladder to change bulbs in a fixture like that once. One month later we abandoned the building.

Well, $1600 is still cheaper than the medical/legal bills that a fall would result in.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

IPCRESS posted:

Never quite understood why 'engineering out the hazard' didn't result in wall mounted lights in stairwells, rather than hoping whomever turns up to change a tube has the right flavour of ladder to do the job safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7xd6TLUaM for content. I think that the only people tied off are on the ground waiting for the mortuary van.

Holy gently caress the shakiness of that whole thing is nerve wracking.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Spatial posted:

Open the hatchback doors, Hal.

:awesomelon:"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

:)"What's the problem?"

:awesomelon:"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."

:)"What are you talking about, HAL?"

:awesomelon:"This leather interior is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

:)"I don't know what you're talking about, HAL. "

:awesomelon:"I know that you and Frank were planning to use me to haul his disgusting futon, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

http://i.imgur.com/0AFBeFE.mp4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Don't they make huge claw hands to replace lightbulbs two stories up?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blitter posted:

Seriously though, loving people falling off poo poo is amazingly high in the list and what is the deal with poisoning?

Non-statisticians call them "ODs"

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yup, but broken bones wont happen to them.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They also make eye protection for when some doofus manages to trip over his own feet, shatter a halogen bulb against the housing, and rain slivers of glass from two or three stories up, while said doofus stares at it. :science:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

boner confessor posted:

the better way to reduce fatalities would be to crack down harder on bad/impaired driving and encourage alternatives to driving but in the united states we've kind of painted ourselves into a corner by creating a built environment that practically requires a car to navigate, which is why we've had such a massive hardon for self driving cars for 70+ years and counting - we can't imagine giving up cars so we have to pray for the machine god to save us from driving them
It's not just the infrastructure, people are convinced driving their shitboxes is a constitutional right, actively combat alternatives forms of transportation, while simultaneously being the most inattentive drivers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

throw to first drat IT posted:

There was some noise about converting CO2 straight into ethanol about year ago, don't know if anything came out of it since then. Far easier to store than hydrogen. Probably easier to burn too.

That's nice and all but I'm better at consuming alcohol than producing it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's nice and all but I'm better at consuming alcohol than producing it.

I'm pretty good at producing methane and hydrogen though. :toot:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Spatial posted:

Another factor with shrinking silicon geometry is that it affects reliability. Bit flipping errors happen more often, it's more sensitive to temperature, lifespan is reduced etc.

On the last 45nm chip I worked on, every 64 bits of flash memory had another 8 bits of storage purely for error correction codes and enabling it was mandatory. 1-bit errors are now expected to happen frequently enough they're part of normal operation. The SRAM also had the same ratio in parity bits to detect errors. After all it's not good if your 32-bit throttle control variable flips a high bit and suddenly has 2^31 added to the value and you don't know about it. :v:

Jesus I didn't know it was that bad even at 45nm lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fatman1683 posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I think algae-based biodiesel is the best option for a carbon-neutral motor fuel for the foreseeable future. It can be grown from wastewater on otherwise-unusable land, or it could even be grown on the open ocean, consumes atmospheric CO2 to make hydrocarbons, and doesn't consume valuable food-growing resources. I'm really disappointed that more work isn't being done in this area.

No I agree, I've actually been a horrible self-induced reading hole about petroleum chemistry because I want to know more about this poo poo. Just trying to understand what gasoline actually is is a nightmare.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lest we forget our roots

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not too surprised as I have done this too. As a kid

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Nice

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
That light bulb had a family.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I am very happy about this picture.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

IPCRESS posted:

100ft of additional NM cable and two wall mounted light fittings with battery backups costs me, the builder, money now. Someone falling because they didn't have the right ladder to replace the bulb costs someone else money in the future.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Jesus I didn't know it was that bad even at 45nm lmao

We really should be using ECC-type memory in nearly every application at this point. Many studies show that soft error rates are several orders of magnitude higher than we previously thought.

I worked on 80nm dram and 51nm flash. The error maps that came out of electronic testing as A-OK were pretty lol.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Jesus, people. Don't work on hot equipment. This is like my 10th fatality case this year from failure to LOTO.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Omerta posted:

Jesus, people. Don't work on hot equipment. This is like my 10th fatality case this year from failure to LOTO.

:stare:
My wife works in an ICU and she hasn't seen that many deaths this year. What can you do to eliminate these? Or is it a case of being unable to out-maneuver stupid?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nocheez posted:

My wife works in an ICU and she hasn't seen that many deaths this year. What can you do to eliminate these? Or is it a case of being unable to out-maneuver stupid?

Some jackass in a suit yelling at you to hurry up and get whatever running again. Or improper training.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Omerta posted:

Well... you're posting well for a man who has suffered injuries incompatible with life or electrocution 10 times.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Gasoline really is the perfect fuel. A tech that could turn atmospheric CO2 and water into gasoline, even at 5% efficiency would blow batteries out of the water.

Kerosene is better per liter

Methane is substantially better per kilogram

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Here is a new ElectroBOOM video with important electrical safety tips, such as "only touch the live mains with one hand".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlM6PE2kKVY

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Nocheez posted:

I'm an attorney and do quite a bit of OSHA compliance work, including contesting citations.

A few were improper hazard identification or failure to guard (e.g., someone cleaning up stuff and gets zapped). Most are sheer laziness/stupidity--working on live equipment--that could arguably be traced to improper or inadequate training.

IMO, the most helpful thing is to not have guys working solo or having supervisors confirm compliance. Second is having a corporate culture that embraces safety standards. Hokey as it sounds, it makes a difference.

As this thread has observed, it's forklifts and electricity that'll kill someone.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nocheez posted:

The cases eliminate themselves

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a light in a location similar to that in my new house. Except without the handy ledges.

Not sure yet how I'm going to change the bulb, but I have to because it's a CFL and won't match the rest which I'm swapping to LED and I have crippling OCD.

e: I guess a claw hand but I'm not sure how easy it'll be because the bulb thats in there is one of those curly glass CFLs and I'll be replacing it with a BR40.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 9, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scrubs season six posted:

I have a light in a location similar to that in my new house. Except without the handy ledges.

Not sure yet how I'm going to change the bulb

C'mon now, it just takes a little creativity.

Do it for the thread. Do it for us.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

scrubs season six posted:

Not sure yet how I'm going to change the bulb, but I have to because it's a CFL and won't match the rest which I'm swapping to LED and I have crippling OCD.

e: I guess a claw hand but I'm not sure how easy it'll be because the bulb thats in there is one of those curly glass CFLs and I'll be replacing it with a BR40.

Just roll forward.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That one could actually work very well and be safe if it weren't that

a) all the stress in on a handrail that probably held in place witha couple of blobs of glue and
b) that hinge in the middle of the ladder - one bump from someone downstairs and it folds up in a catastrophic manner

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

spog posted:

b) that hinge in the middle of the ladder - one bump from someone downstairs and it folds up in a catastrophic manner

It actually locks into place and you have to turn those little knobs to get it to unlock.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't quite tell but it doesn't seem like the top of the ladder is leaning against anything nor does it seem bottom of the ladder is against the wall under the railing so I want to know what they used to brace that, and what they tied it to.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

spog posted:

That one could actually work very well and be safe if it weren't that

a) all the stress in on a handrail that probably held in place witha couple of blobs of glue and

I don't know how it didn't immediately propel the entire handrail+banisters across the room before he got to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

:lol: the reaction in the background