Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Pet peeve: People who seem to think 'pet peeve' means 'crippling issues that impedes your ability to function in day-to-day life'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

They tell the same story about the band too. Like, "Pink Floyd was formed in England and [some obvious fact that everyone knows]". Or just a simple, "That was Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd." Yes everyone knows it's loving Comfortably Numb. And I used to love that song but now I hate it and switch the station when it comes on.

This reminds me of when the Black Keys started blowing up with Lonely Boy, and my local station at the time had just finished playing it and the DJ said, "That was the song Lovely Boy by this hot new band from the UK called Black Keys". I get that they would have been new to a lot of people at the time but it would have taken no time or effort at all to do a google search and get the origin of the band right.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Current peeve: people who don't know how to use a phone properly. I work in the accounts department of a large company and will regularly get people calling me who are:

- panting like they just ran a marathon
- super manic and distracted and can't get off the phone quick enough
- eating, drinking, burping, making other bodily noises directly into the phone
- calling with almost no idea of why they're calling and what they need from me

Motherfucker, you called me. You made the conscious choice to pick up the phone, dial the number and wait for me to answer. If you're in a rush, got something more important going on, aren't in the mood to make a call, then loving wait and do it later. It's so insanely rude and I don't understand why / how it happens. Nothing I'm in charge of is urgent or life-threatening, if you need to pay your account or get some poo poo emailed to you it can wait til you've got five minutes to talk to me like a human being.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
A lot of parcel services here use what I guess you'd cal free-lance drivers/deliverers (especially around Christmas time).

One of them showed up yesterday, alerting me by half-pulling into the driveway and having music blasting out from his car. I could see him from the upstairs window, and then of course as I crossed the room downstairs -- he just stood in front of the door for a nanosecond, didn't ring the bell or knock, then shoved the 'sorry we missed you' slip through the letterbox. (We've been using the back door rather than the front at the moment, as we have a new kitten and don't want him to learn about the front door).

Mr Boods was in the garage, and heard the guy pull up, so he met him at the car; the guy was surprised as hell to see him, and grudgingly got the parcel out of the boot of his car.

The drivers for Hermes absolutely do not pay any heed to delivery instructions; we live in a semi-detached, and the wife (next door) for some reason has decided she hates the neighbours on both sides of her house. So Mr Boods has taken to requesting that parcels not be left with the neighbour and instructed them on where to place them if no answer at the door (he works from home, so office delivery doesn't work). So, yeah, huzzah to the Hermes driver who left a parcel with this woman, with our address on it, clearly marked DO NOT LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOUR.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Aug 9, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ms Boods posted:

The drivers for Hermes absolutely do not pay any heed to delivery instructions; we live in a semi-detached, and the wife for some reason has decided she hates the neighbours on both sides of her house. So Mr Boods has taken to requesting that parcels not be left with the neighbour and instructed them on where to place them if no answer at the door (he works from home, so office delivery doesn't work). So, yeah, huzzah to the Hermes driver who left a parcel with this woman, with our address on it, clearly marked DO NOT LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOUR.

In Germany Hermes drivers are the only ones that consistently are able to understand "my door is on the side of the house not the front". DHL never figures it out, and UPS only does half of the time. It drives me crazy when I get the DHL "looks like we missed you" slip from my landlord a week or more later (he "forgets" to bring it by, a lot) or they leave it with a neighbor.

I'd do office delivery too but I asked and they said they only allow business-related deliveries. I'm sure they'd accept the delivery if I tried but I'd probably get a scolding afterward.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

For me UPS and FedEx both just throw poo poo without even checking if anyone is home. Even if the package requires a signature they just huck that poo poo out of the truck without even stopping.

FedEx holds the record for shittiness because of the time I came home to three packages strewn about the lawn. Two packages contained handguns, the third contained ammunition. Good job!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is why I have my poo poo delivered to a parcel locker whenever possible. If I have to go out to get my parcels anyway, I might as well take a walk and maybe run some other errands while I'm out.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
When people don't bother to read your emails the whole way through.

"I am free to meet any time this week, except Thursday morning before 1pm."

"How about Thursday at 10:30am??"

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Aug 9, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

For me UPS and FedEx both just throw poo poo without even checking if anyone is home. Even if the package requires a signature they just huck that poo poo out of the truck without even stopping.

FedEx holds the record for shittiness because of the time I came home to three packages strewn about the lawn. Two packages contained handguns, the third contained ammunition. Good job!

I'll take these drivers any day over getting the slip and having to go track down my package.

They should probably be reprimanded for doing that with firearms though.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I have a standing order for them to leave all packages on my front porch since our community has controlled access and only one entrance/exit. So far no packages lost and it gets delivered early in the day, I'm far more excited about it than I should be.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I cannot recognize Mick Jagger's voice or pick him out of a lineup.

Picking Mick Jagger out of a lineup in easy. You just have to pick the physically impossible ugly guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Leavemywife posted:

Picking Mick Jagger out of a lineup in easy. You just have to pick the physically impossible ugly guy.

I did a google, he looks like if Frank from Shameless was a real homeless, alcoholic deadbeat instead of an in-shape older actor masquerading as one.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I did a google, he looks like if Frank from Shameless was a real homeless, alcoholic deadbeat instead of an in-shape older actor masquerading as one.

I'm curious how you don't know what Mick Jagger looks like. I always figured he was one of those ubiquitous pop culture images like Elvis or David Bowie

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Who?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm curious how you don't know what Mick Jagger looks like. I always figured he was one of those ubiquitous pop culture images like Elvis or David Bowie

I've definitely heard about him a lot and certainly heard his music, but I had to look up what he looked like too. The image I was picturing was apparently steven tyler. I guess that's not too far off in terms of extreme uglyness.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've definitely heard about him a lot and certainly heard his music, but I had to look up what he looked like too. The image I was picturing was apparently steven tyler. I guess that's not too far off in terms of extreme uglyness.

Huh. I mean I guess Steven Tyler might be more recognizable but it could be confirmation bias on my part to expect Jagger to be universally known

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The guy who ate this thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_Gold_Loaf

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I knew I knew him from somewhere. Didn't he die a bit ago?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I knew I knew him from somewhere. Didn't he die a bit ago?

He never died

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

He never died

He just went home.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

rope kid posted:

"Who among you knows this pop star, Ed Sheeran?"

Goon 1: *stands up, boldly* "Not I! I am not a normie!"

Goon 2: *stands up even faster, speaks with a more strident tone* "I can't even say the name Eaud Shear-han!"

Goon 3: *pushes the other two people out the way and shouts through a megaphone* "I've never heard music!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was just goofing, not trying to be insufferable. I thought it was obvious when I went after Elvis Presley of all people to do the goof with.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

See also:

[someone mentions fast food]
"Fast food is nasty."
"I've never even eaten fast food!"
"I once thought of fast food and I got hives!"
"I died when I was still in the womb because I consider the concept of fast food to be that repulsive!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See also:

"Fast food is nasty."
"I died when I was still in the womb because I consider the concept of fast food to be that repulsive!"

I maintain that no functioning human palate is repulsed by poo poo like mayonnaise. Gargling salt, fat, and carbs is a basic human instinct.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mayo ruins everything. Just replace it with grainy mustard and it's improved 99% of the time.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mu Zeta posted:

Mayo ruins everything. Just replace it with grainy mustard and it's improved 99% of the time.

Someone's awfully mad about the last splatfest

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
mustard sucks

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Both are good

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I subsist exclusively on air and sunlight. But not that gross sunlight you're talking about.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See also:

"Fast food is nasty."

see also: people who go out of their way to dunk on a thing you like because they don't like it. like, bro, chill out, this isn't middle school. you don't gotta tell me that the thing I like is made of super cancer-aids and also boiled jizz. just let people enjoy things they like. I don't go out of my way to poo poo on things other people like that I don't like. I just

don't do or look at the thing?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Sociopastry posted:

see also: people who go out of their way to dunk on a thing you like because they don't like it. like, bro, chill out, this isn't middle school. you don't gotta tell me that the thing I like is made of super cancer-aids and also boiled jizz. just let people enjoy things they like. I don't go out of my way to poo poo on things other people like that I don't like. I just

don't do or look at the thing?

I've noticed this attitude a lot when competitive video games comes up, like ok people can make loads of money of off it much like athletes can, it in no way affects you so why poo poo on it when someone mentions watching it?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

oh for sure. it happens a lot with nerdy communities, too. it's a weird sort of posturing. it's almost like they're trying to prove superiority by claiming that they're the ubermensch because of their tastes, and anyone that deviates from their tastes must be inferior. it's honestly pretty tiring.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Constant cynicism, when it comes to something (I consider) pretty frivolous like movies or nerd pursuits, is always somewhat annoying to me.

Like yeah, dude, all movies and TV are nothing but a shrine to hyperconsumerist nerd idol worship and nostalgic exploitation by the upper classes, there are no new ideas anymore (but if a new idea does come out it's bad), and if you like a reboot you were just dazzled by the symbols and references society has trained you to think are good/familiar. Cool. Does everything have to be this serious?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I feel kinda sad for those people, because it seems like they can't just enjoy anything because it makes them happy. Like, dude, it's okay, just enjoy something. You don't gotta justify it- sometimes all the reason you need is that you like it and it makes you happy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See also:

"Fast food is nasty."

I once ate half a McDonald's hamburger and I've had constant diarrhoea ever since!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Sociopastry posted:

I feel kinda sad for those people, because it seems like they can't just enjoy anything because it makes them happy. Like, dude, it's okay, just enjoy something. You don't gotta justify it- sometimes all the reason you need is that you like it and it makes you happy.

"Hahaha you like puzzle games? You know those don't ACTUALLY make you smarter right?"
Yeah. I know. That's why it's called a game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sociopastry posted:

oh for sure. it happens a lot with nerdy communities, too. it's a weird sort of posturing. it's almost like they're trying to prove superiority by claiming that they're the ubermensch because of their tastes, and anyone that deviates from their tastes must be inferior. it's honestly pretty tiring.

Not really sure why you need to specify nerdy communities. Look at the behaviour of some sports fans towards other teams, or some religious people towards other religions or even different sects within their religion. There are always people within any group who feel the need to prove their devotion to the group by attacking another group.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's never enough to like something; you have to hate the competition to show you're a true fan.

Most ridiculous fan behaviour seen recently: people who whinged about movie critics giving Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad bad reviews whinging about critics giving Wonder Woman good reviews.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No media should really be an integral part of your identity. It's ok to like something, but Dr. Who doesn't define your personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Not really sure why you need to specify nerdy communities. Look at the behaviour of some sports fans towards other teams, or some religious people towards other religions or even different sects within their religion. There are always people within any group who feel the need to prove their devotion to the group by attacking another group.

Hating people for arbitrary reasons because it's acceptable in context is one of the greatest things about sports