Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I felt like this from the first episode to be honest, I watched the whole first season thinking it'd get better because everyone was so into it and it didn't. Either they were making jokes about jokes and patting themselves on the back or just straight up doing. There didn't seem to be anything ironic or clever about the Britta/Jeff/Annie love triangle and most of the other humour left me cold. Also the best television show mocking television shows had already been made

You went in thinking Community is something it's not. It's just a sitcom. It's a fun, self-aware one, but if the jokes don't do it for you, you won't laugh. But it's not trying to be parody or commentary. It just knows what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Guy Mann posted:

That show was bonkers, everyone on it went blind at least twice I think. And the dad was a total hunk, even with his anachronistic 70s hair :swoon:

Yep, the spitting image of the real Charles:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

Columbo holds up really well, except now at the end, a lot of times I find myself thinking "Yeah, I don't think that's going to hold up in court."

This made me laugh and I've thought the same way except he usually gets the motherfucker to confess.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yep, the spitting image of the real Charles:

Giving Michael Landon that beard would've made the show a millions times better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Landon had really funky ears, which is why he grew out his luxurious hair.

If he had an equally thick beard he’d have looked like Chewbacca.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The real Charles looks like Huck Finn if he were raised by Rasputin, which is totally an AU fiction I want to see so get the gently caress on that someone.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You went in thinking Community is something it's not. It's just a sitcom. It's a fun, self-aware one, but if the jokes don't do it for you, you won't laugh. But it's not trying to be parody or commentary. It just knows what it is.
The show is far too convinced it knows what it is and constantly tries to pin itself down. Sometimes it works, but about the time you hit the episode where Annie activates an autistic meltdown in Abed by refusing to play literal make-believe by his rules it becomes overbearing, overgrown, and not nearly as cute as it thinks it is. God I get so bitter about that show even though I do like a lot of episodes.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Little House could get brutal in a melodramatic, often religious way. In one of the early episodes little Laura runs away from home to climb the highest mountain with intent to offer herself to God in exchange for the son her parents want. She's found of course, but not before some mysterious mountain man who may or may not be an Angel helps her out. The feuding between Laura and Nellie Olsen that includes pushing a wheelchair-bound Nellie into a pond (she was faking it) and later cumulates in a full blown cat fight in the mud over a man. Maybe "didn't age well" isn't quite right, but there are some BONKERS episodes. And yeah, they blew the town sky-high in response to the railroad forcing their way in.

In one episode Caroline Ingalls (the mom) is home alone for a weekend and gets a nasty gash on her leg that gets infected and in short order she's feverish and passing out. People keep coming by but just miss her, they leave assuming she's gone to town or whatever. The climax has her repeatedly reading a Bible passage about cutting off an offending limb and heating a knife over the fireplace....(don't worry, she only cut the wound open to let the infection drain, but eesh). Just a strange nugget that felt more like a true horror anthology tale.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't watched it in ages, but I remember loving that show, especially if/when his attempts to low-key use his time travel for personal gain to backfire.

Like, one time he found that his Russian handler (I think she was?) liked a certain breed of flower and type of chocolate before going back in time to stop that threat. He gets her those flowers at the end of the episode, and she throws them away because shame on you for using information she told him from a timeline that would be erased.

Haha yeah the romantic subplot was nothing. I wish the show had respected the audience more, I don't think there were any episodes where they didn't use the sphere or fail to stop the threat (even when the danger wasn't world threatening).

This would have been fun:
-Same initial episodes, big dangers averted by using the sphere.
-We start getting a few plots where the sphere isn't deployed to fix an obvious humanitarian problem, or is used for morally gray reasons.
-The hero refuses to go on a dubious mission so his superiors create a disaster to force him to go. Upon his return he goes AWOL.
-Hero flees to join dissidents, but whenever they think they are succeeding their ingenious plots are foiled as the bad guys still have the sphere and can stop them, Edge of Tomorrow style. The hero must set a trap to bait the sphere into deploying, then steal it and use all remaining fuel to go back so far in time he can stop the bad guys.

Thank you for reading my pitch to fix a mediocre show that went off the air two decades ago.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Jamie Oliver's Dream School.
Sounds innocent enough. A bunch of late teen high school dropouts from a mix of backgrounds get given the chance to finish school via the help of celebrity teachers.

It's worth it to watch actor Simon Callow flip his poo poo.

They had Rolf Harris for art. Oddly the videos remain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcDBWc7xu4

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In October 1990, The Adventures of Super Mario Brothers 3 aired "Kootie Pie Rocks," which featured Milli Vanilli.

Two weeks, Milli Vanilli's career took a bit of a turn. A Wiki says the songs were digitally altered to something else afterwards, so I must have seen it when it originally aired.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't watched it in ages, but I remember loving that show, especially if/when his attempts to low-key use his time travel for personal gain to backfire.

Like, one time he found that his Russian handler (I think she was?) liked a certain breed of flower and type of chocolate before going back in time to stop that threat. He gets her those flowers at the end of the episode, and she throws them away because shame on you for using information she told him from a timeline that would be erased.

I had a big crush on that actress, Justina Vail, for a while because of this show. But I mostly remember the will they/won't they sideplot of the two actors repeatedly coming together only for the time travel to undo it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Being serious again, does Gargoyles still hold up? I never got into it, because by the time I got Disney XD-or whatever the second channel was called- to watch it, they were already on like, episode 87 or something.

Gargoyles owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just a side note - it's weird to know that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957.

Not only that, but she vastly outlived her siblings. So when you read about her envying her one older sibling, her sister, Mary, know that Mary went blind (okay, that's in the books) at 12 or so and then lived the rest of her life as a miserable burden on her parents and eventually other sisters and died relatively young.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Anthony Michael Hall getting detention for bringing a flare gun to school is weird now, but I honestly can't figure out of Christian Slater in Heathers firing a gun with blanks in school and getting off scott free is a more or less relevant bit of satire now than it was when it was released.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Davros1 posted:

Columbo holds up really well, except now at the end, a lot of times I find myself thinking "Yeah, I don't think that's going to hold up in court."

I find myself inserting just two lines dialogue from every cop show in the last 20 years and it ruins the whole show

"I worry. I mean, little things bother me. I'm a worrier. I mean, little insignificant details - I lose my appetite. I can't eat. My wife, she says to me, "you know, you can really be pain."
"I ain't saying poo poo without my lawyer""

"There's just one more thing..."
"gently caress you! Lawyer!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr Christmas posted:

Anthony Michael Hall getting detention for bringing a flare gun to school is weird now, but I honestly can't figure out of Christian Slater in Heathers firing a gun with blanks in school and getting off scott free is a more or less relevant bit of satire now than it was when it was released.

Heathers is just loving crazy to watch now, though it was pretty much that from the beginning.

The whole thing is a brutal satire on teenage suicide and mental health issues and how parents and schools are both disinterested in and miserably incompetent at actually dealing with them, and I don't think that's an iota less relevant. The desperate need to coddle teenagers without actually protecting them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Little House could get brutal in a melodramatic, often religious way. In one of the early episodes little Laura runs away from home to climb the highest mountain with intent to offer herself to God in exchange for the son her parents want.

Isn't this show supposed to take place in Kansas?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

mind the walrus posted:

I lasted until the end of Season 3, then watched the later seasons while I was bored. The GI Joe episode was particularly bad. It was every reason people hate the concept episodes in pure, distilled form. The 5th Season has a couple of decent ones. The problem is that Britta turns out to be the lowest common denominator of the series and the show absolutely refuses to let her be anything other than a joke because admitting that would mean being even slightly realistic.

Britta is absolutely the worst part of the show for most of its run. In Season 1 she's still a try-hard wannabe hippy but she's also smart and tough in her own way and stands up to Jeff's nonsense capably. By Season 4 you're surprised she can manage to tie her own shoes because they've spent the last forty episodes convincing you she's mentally retarded. Even as someone who enjoyed the show, it was a drag.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Well she's not Juno, homeslice.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

spog posted:

I find myself inserting just two lines dialogue from every cop show in the last 20 years and it ruins the whole show

"I worry. I mean, little things bother me. I'm a worrier. I mean, little insignificant details - I lose my appetite. I can't eat. My wife, she says to me, "you know, you can really be pain."
"I ain't saying poo poo without my lawyer""

"There's just one more thing..."
"gently caress you! Lawyer!"

In a lot of ways Columbo is about hubris and the pride of the social elite. They're always getting dragged down by an average working-class man and humbled because they think he's beneath them and they let their guard down. So in a way I think it's a stylistically valid choice to have them self-own that hard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Corrode posted:

Britta is absolutely the worst part of the show for most of its run. In Season 1 she's still a try-hard wannabe hippy but she's also smart and tough in her own way and stands up to Jeff's nonsense capably. By Season 4 you're surprised she can manage to tie her own shoes because they've spent the last forty episodes convincing you she's mentally retarded. Even as someone who enjoyed the show, it was a drag.

For me it's Abed. He starts out as a strange person who occasionally doesn't realize he's being a dick but nevertheless tries to be good to his friends. And then he just becomes this selfish, egocentric cock who fucks people over because they don't do what he wants.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Community was a show that started out pretty good and got latched onto by a fanbase that was needy and self-identifying even by the generous standards of internet fandom, and the creators skewed more and more towards pandering to that fanbase. By the time I stopped watching, they could have just released each episode as a series of animated GIFs directly to Twitter and Tumblr without losing any narrative or dramatic fidelity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Heathers is so deliberately dreamlike it's hard to say.

Corrode posted:

Well yeah, that's why it's a shame because her story is by far the most true and compelling as a protagonist anchor-- she's not a con man learning to be codependent, she's not an autistic pop culture man-pixie, she's just a regular old burnout trying to get her poo poo together at the best option she has available to herself. Her arc is slowly realizing that not only are her pretensions invalid put-ons but the dark possibility that her lot in life really might have hit the ceiling regardless of whatever steps she takes to better herself. There's way more meat on that bone than any other character in the show save Shirley, and Shirley isn't allowed to be the main character because TV.

Her pathos is mined for B-Plot material for other characters to bounce off of-- the best example is when she meets up with old protest friends to find that they've "sold out", are rich, and look down on her, and the plot is about how John Oliver isn't going to take advantage of her after she gets the everloving poo poo kicked out of her ego. Another good one is when "Evil Abed" lays the gently caress into her about her pretensions of being of psychologist and the joke is that... she's indeed airheaded...and that abusive verbal lashing is never addressed again because the real story is about Abed realizing the world has the potential for good or some horseshit.

I'm not saying the show needed to be some self-serious thing, but I'm a huge proponent of creative honest in recognizing the story you're really telling. Clerks 2 is not a good movie and it is not made well, but I never felt the need to tear into it because as pathetic as the character arc is it feels really honest. Community did have way more potential for a grounded side, but it switched to the wrong protagonist and poo poo unraveled fast.

Slime posted:

For me it's Abed. He starts out as a strange person who occasionally doesn't realize he's being a dick but nevertheless tries to be good to his friends. And then he just becomes this selfish, egocentric cock who fucks people over because they don't do what he wants.
I've ranted against Abed before. He really is the worst. Yes, Dan Harmon, you get a cookie for portraying an autistic character who is socially competent and in a creative field. The episode where the characters discover a girl who seems to have a crush on Abed and coach him on dating because they believe it's his only shot at love is an example of using that character well. The episode where Abed goes up his own rear end creatively and realizes he's made a really lovely film with loads of hype that could tank his career was also great because as he says at the end of the episode "you humble me." But for the most part, he's goddamn insufferable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Before Columbine, kids in rural communities brought their guns to school all the time (granted, they usually left them in their cars)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm extremely easy to please and enjoyed Community throughout its seasons without many problems so can we go back to Walker Texas Ranger and why that sucked? From what I saw, it's just Chuck Norris kicking people who have the hand-to-hand skills of a pinata.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

I'm extremely easy to please and enjoyed Community throughout its seasons without many problems so can we go back to Walker Texas Ranger and why that sucked? From what I saw, it's just Chuck Norris kicking people who have the hand-to-hand skills of a pinata.

By the final season, Walker was coming face-to-face with grizzly bears and they'd run away after he stared them down.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

EmmyOk posted:

I felt like this from the first episode to be honest, I watched the whole first season thinking it'd get better because everyone was so into it and it didn't. Either they were making jokes about jokes and patting themselves on the back or just straight up doing. There didn't seem to be anything ironic or clever about the Britta/Jeff/Annie love triangle and most of the other humour left me cold. Also the best television show mocking television shows had already been made

Happily, Dark Place holds up incredibly well, although if you'd told me at the time that Richard Ayoade would go on to direct an adaptation of Dostoyefsky's 'The Double', I sincerely wouldn't have believed you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

RareAcumen posted:

Let's enjoy highlights from Walker's TV Tropes page:

-"The Avenger" is a particularly notable episode, because Walker is forced into a series of Vietnam-themed death matches by a fellow 'Nam war veteran, Caleb Hooks, out of vengeance for killing his brother, Randall, in a standoff. These fights are much more creative and intense than the usual fare of beat 'em ups (fighting in total darkness, over Punji stakes with katanas, and inside an electric cage with mechanical torches) and they eventually lead up to a dramatic knifefight with Hooks himself.

-The big finale has Walker personally taking down the leader in a one-on-one showdown, kicking the guy through the control room window. Better yet is it's all caught on live TV so the onlookers at C.D.'s grill cheer him on. And Walker tops it all off by doing a speech on how America is built on all races and trying to push anyone down is totally un-American, getting a standing ovation from the grill onlookers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

Happily, Dark Place holds up incredibly well, although if you'd told me at the time that Richard Ayoade would go on to direct an adaptation of Dostoyefsky's 'The Double', I sincerely wouldn't have believed you.

It's history's greatest crime that Ayoade went on to success after success and Holness didn't

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of think a lot of episodes of shows from the 70s-90s with any sort of LGBT supporting/guest characters or storylines before a certain era will not age well, if they haven't aged well already.

It might be an issue, too, in that there was probably a very small window and maybe limited exposure of being able to present such characters/stories in any regard on TV, too. They went from being seen as once-progressive or boundary-pushing to quickly being seen as dated or offensive at worst by the rapidly-changing social acceptance and awareness of more recent years.

The whole Ellen arc of her character revealing her sexual orientation on her sitcom was nearly 20 years ago and was considered one of the more major moments in TV of its era, but would an audience of teens-20someththings of today understand why watching those episodes now there is such a huge in-universe or studio audience reaction?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JediTalentAgent posted:

The whole Ellen arc of her character revealing her sexual orientation on her sitcom was nearly 20 years ago and was considered one of the more major moments in TV of its era, but would an audience of teens-20someththings of today understand why watching those episodes now there is such a huge in-universe or studio audience reaction?

Haven't seen it, but as a younger 20-something, things like that are a purely theoretical "huh, that must've been a huge deal or whatever for the time, cool" thing, but I feel like I don't have the full emotional appreciation of exactly how big a deal it is because yeah we've (by and large, with exceptions, etc.) grown up with homosexuality being fairly normalised and common. While it's kind of a shame that we miss out on that big emotional shock, it's probably a good thing that we don't have it in some ways :unsmith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I dunno, coming out is still really stressful for a lot of kids and plenty of parents are the "I ain't raising no gay kid!" type so I think those messages still resonate.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Oh resonate for sure, but I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the shock value type of emotional impact of a character coming out/making a realisation about their sexuality kind of thing. For most people these days, characters coming out isn't remotely shocking or even particularly unusual as a storyline, which I gather the Ellen thing was (although some of that may have had to do as well with the real-life element of it too). I mean if you had the exact same episode released today, people would probably say it was brave, and good for representation and that kind of thing, but groundbreaking TV history that we'd talk about 20 years from now? Nah.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It was a huge deal, being network TV and all, when Chicago Hope and ER said "poo poo" during an episode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It was a huge deal, being network TV and all, when Chicago Hope and ER said "poo poo" during an episode.

Hey...hey there buddy. Let's watch the potty talk.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the 2008 movie Igor has certainly aged visually, I still like it because it gave us this at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKQ-yxOKaM
(Massive spoilers for 9 year old movie that was forgotten due to being only "OK")

I still rewatch it occasionally because I like the characters. Also I'm OK with how it looks, it's stylised enough to get away with the rough edges in the animation.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

When I was a kid I found walker Texas ranger hilarious because while I'd never watch it the whole way through whenever I turned it on he was beating up fat businessmen in a parking garage or something similar. I'm not sure if they ever had him actually fight another martial artist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-The big finale has Walker personally taking down the leader in a one-on-one showdown, kicking the guy through the control room window. Better yet is it's all caught on live TV so the onlookers at C.D.'s grill cheer him on. And Walker tops it all off by doing a speech on how America is built on all races and trying to push anyone down is totally un-American, getting a standing ovation from the grill onlookers.

Boy, that was a close one, too. Thankfully gay isn't a race so you can still fear gays and them being allowed to marry safely without being a hypocrite.

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I was a kid I found walker Texas ranger hilarious because while I'd never watch it the whole way through whenever I turned it on he was beating up fat businessmen in a parking garage or something similar. I'm not sure if they ever had him actually fight another martial artist

I doubt it, it wasn't the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie. :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

once you've stage-fought with Bruce Lee what's the point of trying hard after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

I doubt it, it wasn't the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie. :v:

I enjoy the bit in the second one where he faces off against Moriarty and they're both playing out their fight strategies in their heads.