Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xisticide posted:

I'm not sure if that airs over here, did they also mention that Dany says the same thing to Jon that he said to Mance?
Yeah, it's not universally available. I wouldn't actually be surprised if it was US/North America only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arya needs a real sword and I'm anticipating the scene where some giant jagoff breaks her needle Syrio-style and she learns she needs a real weapon

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Were there any Tarly soldiers in the battle? If not, they made armor for a bunch of extras but didn't prominently feature them in the big scene?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why was Bronn asked to man the Scorpion?

You'd think if you'd gone through the effort to design and construct big fuckoff dragon killing ballistas that your survival and the success of your war effort depends upon, that you might train a special crew of dudes to operate it, you know, practice shooting stationary targets, then kites, skeet targets, birds in flight, that sort of thing.

The criteria for Scorpion operation seems to be "you have two hands, and are also good at things. Why don't you have a go?"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Bronn's character is "is awesome and can do everything in battle".

But I'm sure that scene would be much better if it was an extra.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Every time someone says "Iron Bank" I have to remind myself that they aren't affiliated with the Ironborn. They're like fundamentally opposed to the iron price. Poor name choice imo.

Or the Iron Throne.

Yeaaaah GRRM ran out of words.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Words are wind.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Lycus posted:

Bronn's character is "is awesome and can do everything in battle".

But I'm sure that scene would be much better if it was an extra.

Zwabu posted:

You'd think if you'd gone through the effort to design and construct big fuckoff dragon killing ballistas that your survival and the success of your war effort depends upon, that you might train a special crew of dudes to operate it, you know, practice shooting stationary targets, then kites, skeet targets, birds in flight, that sort of thing.

The criteria for Scorpion operation seems to be "you have two hands, and are also good at things. Why don't you have a go?"

Finally Theon's Chekhov's skill will pay off when he shoots a spear at Euron mid teleport sequence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vintersorg posted:

You guys, same ones who thought everyone teleported, think you need to be shown every single thing and can't deduce that maybe she was training more when we jumped back to Westeros.

Also, Jaqen owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFfRLcElY8

Right in front of Tywin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuinfeM7gw4

Everyone dead and no one heard a peep.
Jaquen owned before they made him into a boring monk

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Would there be even the slightest tension if the guy(s) manning the ballista were completely unknown to you before that scene?

In fact, would you not in instead be rooting for Dany/Drogon to immolate these random Lannister mooks instead of - as I'm sure was the auteur's intention - giving viewers a Sophie's Choice with two characters they're invested in?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I Am A Robot posted:

I'm sure this was already posted but I don't care because it's :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE2wcBeyNdk&t=607s

Still goosebumps.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Jaquen owned before they made him into a boring monk
That's the tricky thing with faceless men.

You don't know if you're getting the guy who can kill a dozen dudes in the blink of an eye while kickflipping off walls and throwing out snazzy one liners, or if you're getting Roger from Accounts.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Next week's episode may contradict me but I assumed Dany burned the supplies rather than collecting them because the whole point of an army composed of unarmoured dudes on horses and a lady on a dragon is that they're hyper-mobile and a lengthy baggage train would prevent them getting away cleanly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Next week's episode may contradict me but I assumed Dany burned the supplies rather than collecting them because the whole point of an army composed of unarmoured dudes on horses and a lady on a dragon is that they're hyper-mobile and a lengthy baggage train would prevent them getting away cleanly.

The dothraki maintain that mobility by living off the land supplemented by looting and plundering everyone they come across, though, which is theoretically not going to jive with her "I'm not like these other monarchs" shtick she's trying to sell.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
These barbarian hoards are civilized now. They point their pinkys up while raping.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The dothraki maintain that mobility by living off the land supplemented by looting and plundering everyone they come across, though, which is theoretically not going to jive with her "I'm not like these other monarchs" shtick she's trying to sell.

To be entirely fair, that's the rule for just about every single army ever in that time period. You bring with you what food and supplies you can reasonably carry, and then supplement and replenish that by looting stealing foraging from the countryside you're passing through. The only question is how nice you're being about taking that stuff, and for most armies that tended towards the "not very nice" end. The dynamic where you regularly cart poo poo to the army from all the way back in your home territory didn't really take off until about the napeoleonic era.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Game of Thrones isn't really set in a time period. Like most fantasy, it's an ahistorical mish mash based on mostly on stereotypes and misinformation (i.e. bullshit).

Perestroika posted:

The dynamic where you regularly cart poo poo to the army from all the way back in your home territory didn't really take off until about the napeoleonic era.
Not really.

Put it this way, the legionaries didn't build all those roads because Romans have a gravel fetish.

And contrary to what Frank Miller would have you believe, Xerxes' invasion of Greece didn't fail because a bunch of buff half naked dudebros stood on a mountain pass for a bit, but because the Athenians managed to cut off his naval supply routes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crossposting from the Meme thread.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
If both Tarlys died, let's say, how much veteran leadership does the Lannister army have left? Jaime, Bronn, Mountain, Ser Pounce?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
From the director:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts/television/game-of-thrones-dragon-battle-was-inspired-by-apocalypse-now-and-saving-private-ryan.html

" So what I looked at more were things like “Apocalypse Now,” the helicopter attack on the village, which felt very similar in terms of shifting points of view and the horror on the ground. Dealing death from above — going through swirling clouds of smoke and napalm and all of that — felt much more like what I was trying to create."

"I looked at “Saving Private Ryan,” the opening battle on the beach, where the sound drops out and Tom Hanks is watching men being burned alive and shot to death. That to me was very much what it should feel like for Jaime, watching men die left and right around him"

"I looked at “Children of Men.” Bronn running through the field of horror was very similar to some of those Clive Owen oners [single continuous shots] as he’s running through hell with death all around him."

"But then you shift over to Brienne as she suddenly realizes this ninja is coming at her, and she’s trying to react to it. Then you have maybe the most important point of view, which is Sansa looking down from above, seeing her sister who is no longer really this person she knew. This idea that you can’t go home again. The Arya Stark who’s arrived now is this assassin, this fighter, who’s a far cry from the little sister she knew before, so she’s taking stock of that and trying to figure out what that means for her relationship."

"So it’s a big moment for Sansa and also for Littlefinger, who now has to realize, How does he now navigate these three Starks here at home at Winterfell? All of them are quite different and not as susceptible to his charms as he’d like."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Crossposting from the Meme thread.

why

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

You're mean.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Because I hate this thread and everyone in it. :sax:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 9, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Because I hate this thread and everyone in it. :sax:

Fair.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm curious what everyone's favorite dialogue scenes are from the show and also what you think about how the show's writing has changed over the years?

So, I saw some people talking about how much the show has changed as they've run out of solid GRRM material to draw on and how one of the results seems to be a vastly increased pacing to the story and that the characters in the show just have almost no good dialogue scenes anymore, someone mentioned that characters like Tyrion, Littlefinger, and Varys are basically shells of their former selves.

This isn't something I realized until I took a moment and thought about it, but it seems pretty true. The first couple seasons are steeped in absolutely fantastic dialogue heavy scenes. One of my favorites is, ironically, not even from the books; the scene in S01E05 where Robert and Cersei talk about their marriage was a huge standout for me. I also really liked Charles Dance taking literally everyone to school in his very first scene.

Season 2 ramps this trend up even more. Tyrion as Hand of the King is hilarious and witty as hell, but he's also got a series of really great dramatic scenes with Cersei that have some fantastic dialogue (scene 1, scene 2, scene 3). One of my other favorite's is a scene with Tyrion and Varys.

Looking back it feels like the show used to have some really great dialogue and the pacing also didn't feel as hurried. Another thing I found interesting is the way that these dialogue heavy scenes are shot. It's just two people in a room talking. I don't know if that's a call back to theatre, budget limitations, or what, but I feel like it worked really well.

Anyone else noticing this as well?

Also what are some of your favorite big dialogue scenes?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Theon's big winterfell speech.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Robert and Cersei, definitely. Back when the writers could come up with original content that felt like scenes we simply never had in the book due to no POV characters being there. That scene alone cemented my belief this crew was the right one to adapt these books faithfully, while still adding things that fit the tone and characters of the books.

Shame about them ruining it later.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I may be looking at the earlier seasons through rose-tinted glasses but I feel like in the last couple the dialogue has relied on a lot more snappy one-liners. Tyrion has always been that way, but I feel like now it happens with everyone, Arya, Jon, Davos, Jaime. It's a few minutes of mostly needless dialogue with a few things thrown in that are supposed to make the viewer go "oh no he didn't!" or "huh, I never thought about it that way!"

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm curious what everyone's favorite dialogue scenes are from the show and also what you think about how the show's writing has changed over the years?

So, I saw some people talking about how much the show has changed as they've run out of solid GRRM material to draw on and how one of the results seems to be a vastly increased pacing to the story and that the characters in the show just have almost no good dialogue scenes anymore, someone mentioned that characters like Tyrion, Littlefinger, and Varys are basically shells of their former selves.

This isn't something I realized until I took a moment and thought about it, but it seems pretty true. The first couple seasons are steeped in absolutely fantastic dialogue heavy scenes. One of my favorites is, ironically, not even from the books; the scene in S01E05 where Robert and Cersei talk about their marriage was a huge standout for me. I also really liked Charles Dance taking literally everyone to school in his very first scene.

Season 2 ramps this trend up even more. Tyrion as Hand of the King is hilarious and witty as hell, but he's also got a series of really great dramatic scenes with Cersei that have some fantastic dialogue (scene 1, scene 2, scene 3). One of my other favorite's is a scene with Tyrion and Varys.

Looking back it feels like the show used to have some really great dialogue and the pacing also didn't feel as hurried. Another thing I found interesting is the way that these dialogue heavy scenes are shot. It's just two people in a room talking. I don't know if that's a call back to theatre, budget limitations, or what, but I feel like it worked really well.

Anyone else noticing this as well?

I def noticed this as well. The show seems to be more in service of completing its plot and hitting the major points in the small amount of time left in the series. 3 more episodes this season, and maybe another 10 next season doesn't leave a lot of room for soulful dialogue, especially with bloated action scenes and CGI taking up the budget.

It feels like the third act of an RPG, when the writers have exhausted their abilities, time constraints are at a maximum, and speaking to a once thoughtful and interesting NPC is now reduced to a couple lines of simple dialogue in favor of over-the-top, kinda simple action.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

Theon's big winterfell s/whack
Fixed.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

I may be looking at the earlier seasons through rose-tinted glasses but I feel like in the last couple the dialogue has relied on a lot more snappy one-liners. Tyrion has always been that way, but I feel like now it happens with everyone, Arya, Jon, Davos, Jaime. It's a few minutes of mostly needless dialogue with a few things thrown in that are supposed to make the viewer go "oh no he didn't!" or "huh, I never thought about it that way!"

I think this is the best way to describe it yeah. In early seasons conversations where just that, conversations. They were meant to further the character and not to move the plot. Some were introspective, some were informative giving some background to understand why x characters operated in y way. HELL, even though a lot of people hated the derailment of Catelyn's book characterization on Jon Snow, I think it added a lot to the tragedy of her character and made her more human than just "scorned grumpy wife".

They didn't even have to be long conversations, either. You had Shireen teaching Davos how to read. It was short and to the point, but the way the characters interacted really sold the idea "Pirate likes nice kid".

Now conversations are just Event Trigger flags and come in 3 flavors:

- the "As You Know" conversation in which the character just drops an info dump on events or other characters
- the "One up" conversation in which each party is trying to have the last word over the other.
- the Bran Talk

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 9, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The quality of the dialogue definitely seems like it's declined, but you can't blame it completely on poor writing. One of the reasons conversations were longer in the beginning is because tension was building. The story hadn't actually gotten to the point where people started stabbing each other, but all of that dialogue was working toward that point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The quality of the dialogue definitely seems like it's declined, but you can't blame it completely on poor writing. One of the reasons conversations were longer in the beginning is because tension was building. The story hadn't actually gotten to the point where people started stabbing each other, but all of that dialogue was working toward that point.

When S3 was airing (first one I watched live) I remember being kind of bored with it. There were a few some fun scenes and great dialogue (Jaime and Brienne, Hound vs Berric, great stuff, Dracarys mk.1 is the only good Dany part) but like 80% of each episode was just wheel spinning for the Red Wedding. The current season is a bit too far in the other direction, to be fair, but I'm glad they committed to finally finishing.

S3 is great in hindsight for a binge watch but episode-to-episode it was a drag. Walking and talking and talking and walking with one serious plot development at the end of every other episode.

I think if the current S7 plot was stretched over 5 or 6 eps instead of 4 and if maybe they had a bit of GRRM dialogue to work off of, the pacing would be perfect.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I've always liked the little talk between Tyrion and Oberyn in the castle dungeon. It isn't a "big dialogue" moment, per se, but I would put it near the top of my list of moments.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

Arya needs a real sword and I'm anticipating the scene where some giant jagoff breaks her needle Syrio-style and she learns she needs a real weapon

Yes because she'd be so much more effective with a weapon that's bigger than she is

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

If both Tarlys died, let's say, how much veteran leadership does the Lannister army have left? Jaime, Bronn, Mountain, Ser Pounce?

Now I just want to see them somehow drag poor Sam to the Red Keep and tell him as a Tarly he's their new general

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

It doesn't matter because Dany was already talking about laying seige to King's Landing and maintaining a blockade to starve them out without major warfare against the capital.

So the supplies can sit there for all they like, they're already where they want them. No need to move, no need for baggage train. We're gonna be here for awhile dude.

Red posted:

Jaime rules the army and Euron owns the navy. Nothing else really matters.

Now, if Jaime was captured, that is gonna be a big deal.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

-Blackadder- posted:

characters like Tyrion, Littlefinger, and Varys are basically shells of their former selves.

Tyrion is a shell of himself in character as well, so his change hasn't bothered me. After he shot his father and bailed, he's been increasingly like that. Maybe it's not on purpose but him being a little less sarcastic when facing the situations at hand, like burning down his own family, I'm OK with.

Varys isn't really off, in my opinion. The fact he kindly suggested that a Red Priestess should kindly GTFO and not come back cured my one problem with his character, that he should not like a red priest(ess).

Littlefinger though... Littlefinger I don't get. Every move he's made this season has directly undermined him and everyone's giving him the "You gonna die" stink eye in Winterfell. They hosed him all up at this point.

ED: Calling it now, Bran reveals Littlefinger's part in the war and then he's murdered by Starks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

-Blackadder- posted:

Varys and Littlefinger's first few scenes together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6ecIfYBg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PEsR1fdGTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Its hard to pick just one, there's a ton of them. I think my favorite though might be Varys and Tyrion talking, the puzzle that Varys presents. The idea of the sellsword, the king, the priest and the merchant. "Where does power lie?"

In the books it was 3 different conversations to Tyrion has time to ponder the answer before Varys gives it to him, but it works just fine in the show cut down to one conversation for time.

How has the show's writing changed?

Instead of editing GRRM they're making their own things up. This has fundamentally changed the feel.

Before it was a detailed world of believable characters and plots building up to conflicts and major tragedies, like the red wedding. Those were very popular and took the show from a nerd interest about medieval politics in season 1 to the mainstream water-cooler conversation show that it became after seasons 2 or 3.

But now there's no buildup. Somebody described episode 1 or 2 of this season as a montage and I really agree. Things just happen without giving them time to explain why and build up motivations and really earn the drama. Its just "this is happening, it happened, its over".

I really don't mind time skips, (again its when two characters move vastly different distances in the same time that creates a conflict) but the show just feels more shallow now. There's far less supporting characters which is good for keeping the plot focused and moving fast, but is bad for feeling cheesy. We've pretty much become the very thing I used to think Game of Thrones was the perfect antithesis to; a story where good fights evil and you know even if good has some setbacks, the major good characters won't die and will win the day and everything will work out. There's no drama in that, even if you have dragons and armies and ice zombies. Its the smaller stakes that really matter. Fighting for saving "the world" doesn't mean as much to the audience as fighting to save someone who we've come to know and love over multiple episodes or even seasons.

On the bright side, we're FINALLY getting some proper character development for Sansa, which I've been begging for since the show started. Arya had amazing character growth immediately in season 1 but Sansa has just been a prop and an observer for literally 6 seasons. They're finally giving her some agency and better late than never!

I'll have to think about some other 'favorite dialogue scenes' but man there's so many.

• Locked thread