Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

boner confessor posted:

yes that is how dynasties work
So saying that business dynasties don't last centuries like royal dynasties is a meaningless comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my point is that even the oldest lived business dynasties have more or less collapsed much faster than royal dynasties but this derail is getting less lighthearted and amusing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

boner confessor posted:

my point is that even the oldest lived business dynasties have more or less collapsed much faster than royal dynasties but this derail is getting less lighthearted and amusing

Our point is that a century or so is actually equally good going for either, historically speaking.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

boner confessor posted:

Whoops, you're quite right. Fun fact: The Thurn und Taxis family ran Habsburg postal services 1450-1866, which is quite a run.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Shirec posted:

I am talking about actual studies and interviews that were done on why people leave the tech industry. And I currently work in more of a finance role, but I work with other women who have told me some skeezy rear end poo poo that has happened to them. I've been lucky in that regard, but I trust what my friends have told me.
So you're just parroting third hand information that in no what so ever supports

quote:

programming anything tends to be a super lovely workplace with everything wrong with other industries turned up to 11 and very poor oversight

I glad you work in finance where there's no issues at all with discrimination in the work place

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

jre posted:

So you're just parroting third hand information that in no what so ever supports

I glad you work in finance where there's no issues at all with discrimination in the work place

How dare anyone critique my profession, they must be ignorant in all things!!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

T-man posted:

Every job is profession X is the worst, my friend and this blog post said so!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

LinYutang posted:

All the assumptions about programming work is weird. I have never taken a CS course in my life and I've been working full time as a programmer for a few years. The skillset for much of programming work, especially web applications programming, *must* be self taught. It isn't really taught in schools, though bootcamps are trying to keep up.

The real advantage that CS majors have are during the interviewing process, which is totally broken and biased towards CS classwork.

100% agreed on all of this. HR and outsiders in general tend to completely miss this point universally.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And this is a great way to wind up with a workforce that matches the racial/ethnic/gender/etc makeup of your current organization, which is a problem not only because of justice but because you're missing out on talent that might help you solve problems in a different way. I know that's conventional wisdom, but it's "wisdom" that lets you fail to examine your hiring process. Missing good hires is a severe loss, not just the way business inevitably must work.

Here's an actual paper on it. Grad students -- the very same sort of people who often interview would-be Google employees -- were no better than chance at predicting the success of other students using interviews. Other students continued to believe interviews were effective even after being shown the research proving otherwise. There are other relevant papers. Look, in particular, at section 3.1 of this 2009 research overview. As of 2009, there was clear-cut evidence that interviewers, whether intentionally or not, underrated the performance of African-American interviewees. If you look at section 2, the preponderance of the evidence says that "structured interviews" (see the Post Office, here) are far more predictive than the standard "engineer assumes they are qualified to evaluate a candidate based on whatever their favorite questions are". At [popular high-tech company], you'd have to have a big enough standard list that people couldn't pre-prepare, but it can be done.

There is existing research demonstrating how to make interviews more useful. It's being ignored.

Cosigned. I've heard word-of-mouth that some companies are demanding work that they then reuse in their own applications without hiring the candidate. I have no cites on that one.

You know what a real engineer does when coding a sort? They look it up in the loving class library. Assuming they are insane enough to code one from scratch, they look it up in the literature. A lot of real engineering is knowing when to rely on somebody else's expertise. You know who does know which search is O(N!)? Recently graduated CS students.

I think there are many underserved groups. Ethnicity and gender are a factor, but I think class and income are much bigger factors. I think introversion is a huge factor. There are hundreds of thousands of potential awesome developers out there who are never even exposed to it as a possibility. Competent employers selfishly want the best talent pool out there, but they're few and far between.

I put a lot of effort into coming up with a structured interview that I think is able to be effective in trying to identify core skills in a somewhat obscure area, and drive out bias to the best of my ability. (FWIW my hires have been close to 50% women although mostly White/Asian.) I ask them to pick a project they think best represents their work, walk me through it, and usually it's in an area that I'm very familiar with and can ask a good probing question about. Then, they're not given a brain teaser, they're asked to solve something abstract that's very similar to real world work we do with some of the details masked.

There is take home work, but it's 1-2 hours to complete, and we give the same data set to every candidate. The idea of actually using that for anything seems insane to me.

And 100% on the last piece. If I need to know how to do something, it's good enough if I understand the core logic, I can look up the proper syntax on Google.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

fishmech posted:

Luckily living in the trendy parts of Manhattan isn't required to live. So, just don't do it? What's so hard about this? There's even a pretty good public transit system in place so you can live in Not Manhattan and work in Manhattan. You know, like over 1.6 million people do, every workday of the year.

You can't dismiss 70% of the landmass as "trendy." Manhattan is not affordable, full stop. Neither is northern Brooklyn. That leaves some areas with commutes that aren't insane, but not many. It's not a matter of distance, there is a good portion of the city and/or metro area that isn't well served by transit.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

T-man posted:

The person critiquing tech does have a pretty naive viewpoint.

The tech problems with diversity are old enough that a more bimodal distribution of companies show up now: Ones that are misogynistic shitpiles and ones that very actively strive to undo the 30 years of momentum that pushed tech in the wrong direction.

The employees also sort into much the same distribution, but occasionally an employee buckets into the wrong kind of company. A manifesto later they get a chance to go find their kind of company. It probably won't be hard, there's still a ton of shitpiles in tech.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think there are many underserved groups. Ethnicity and gender are a factor, but I think class and income are much bigger factors. I think introversion is a huge factor. There are hundreds of thousands of potential awesome developers out there who are never even exposed to it as a possibility. Competent employers selfishly want the best talent pool out there, but they're few and far between.

You don't actually have to pick between trying to find economic diversity and trying to find other kinds of diversity. Both are important. I am deeply concerned that the focus on top-10 universities excludes a lot of people who can't afford to go to anything but their state university. There are a lot of excellent people with degrees from "second-tier" colleges. I am also deeply concerned that, to name two, women and black people who enter the CS workforce are leaving because they were made to feel unwelcome.

quote:

I put a lot of effort into coming up with a structured interview that I think is able to be effective in trying to identify core skills in a somewhat obscure area, and drive out bias to the best of my ability. (FWIW my hires have been close to 50% women although mostly White/Asian.) I ask them to pick a project they think best represents their work, walk me through it, and usually it's in an area that I'm very familiar with and can ask a good probing question about. Then, they're not given a brain teaser, they're asked to solve something abstract that's very similar to real world work we do with some of the details masked.
I wish more interviewers worked on it as hard as you do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kim Jong Il posted:

You can't dismiss 70% of the landmass as "trendy." Manhattan is not affordable, full stop. Neither is northern Brooklyn. That leaves some areas with commutes that aren't insane, but not many. It's not a matter of distance, there is a good portion of the city and/or metro area that isn't well served by transit.

It's not 70% of the landmass that is "unaffordable". Land mass is a stupid measure anyway, fully 18% of the land is a park! Of the places that aren't inherently unlivable like roads/other infrastructure, nearly 600 million square feet of the building space is devoted to commercial offices. Then there's a ton of government and other such space that you can't rent out and live in legally. And the median household income is only $20,000 a year higher than the US at large, there are clearly a ton of people who don't make much money at all that can afford to live there.

What you're mad at, is that you personally will have a hard time finding a new cheap place at short notice.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

baquerd posted:

"CS math fundamentals" is a pretty broad subject area. Boot camps will certainly cover logical branching statements, but they're not likely to go De Morgan's law. Linear algebra and number theory is right out.

Yea, it is, sorry. I was thinking that something like Discrete Mathematics for CS and a reasonably hardcore Fundamentals of Computer Science could fit enough in within a bootcamp timeframe. Math was my first goto because it is an area where deficiencies are generally hard for people to autodidact their way out of and the effects of a lack of exposure will be subtle.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You don't actually have to pick between trying to find economic diversity and trying to find other kinds of diversity. Both are important. I am deeply concerned that the focus on top-10 universities excludes a lot of people who can't afford to go to anything but their state university. There are a lot of excellent people with degrees from "second-tier" colleges. I am also deeply concerned that, to name two, women and black people who enter the CS workforce are leaving because they were made to feel unwelcome.

Imagine you're Big Software Development, Inc., a big software development company that doesn't care about diversity either positively or negatively beyond its effect on quarterly profits. Your middle management/HR unit is thoroughly average and your main current problem is that you get asked to program a shitload of relatively simple widgets for corporate use but you don't have enough programmers to program all those widgets in time.

Do you
1) launch the BSD, Inc. diversity initiative designed to bring your corporate culture into the 21st century, while using cutting-edge interviewing/assessment methods and lots of effort to filter out the very best programmers from a huge pool of applicants including second-tier and third-tier schools because you don't want to miss out on really smart people who didn't go to Stanford

or 2) tell your mediocre HR crew to hire some Stanford compsci grads plus whoever an arbitrary recruiting service you engage recommends after giving them idiot questions like "Fizzbuzz on whiteboard", since all the new programmers are doing will be coding simple corporate widgets anyway and it's more important to fill those empty positions with someone minimally competent as soon as possible than to spend longer to get the smartest possible programmers, so you might as well use "went to Stanford" as a filter to cut down on the number of applications your HR crew needs to look at without increasing the idiot quota in your applicant pool
?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Irradiation posted:

I dont want to defend this guy but this is the correct thing to do. Too many undergrads are just trying to get in a lab so they can toss it on their resume and PIs have wised up to this. Now (good) professors will start asking about what your scientific contributions were to the group you worked for if you're interviewing for a graduate spot.

Lab chores are everyone's responsibility not just some undergrads.

I'd be interested to see what this guy actually did and if it's reproducible because if a guy with his attitude came through my lab we would probably rip his head off for being an entitled rear end bitch. Someone unwilling to pay attention to basic details like buffers has certainly made huge mistakes they papered over by being the right looking guy in the right place. The fact that he got a consolation Master's lends a lot of credence to that as well.

This guy is an entitled rear end in a top hat trying to paper over his shortcomings with biotruth bullshit. Any decent scientist wouldn't dare risk their reputation on poo poo like Quilliam.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Why did Google even hire this guy?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Significant Ant posted:

Circling the drain~~~~~~~

Well, regarding their moon-shot projects at least.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Significant Ant posted:

Well I guess he was a minimally competent programmer?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
He fizzed seven buzzes at the same time, then was able to finish the entire "Ultimate Brain Teasers and Puzzles Travel Book" a full ten minutes faster than any other candidate.

He even got that really tricky one with the 3 gallon jug and the 5 gallon jug!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bastard Tetris posted:

This guy is an entitled rear end in a top hat trying to paper over his shortcomings with biotruth bullshit.
Sounds like he's got the right stuff to be a SV startup millionaire CEO

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wasn't meaning to downplay the issues with sexism in my last post, just a point that if they're being this sexist and not even understanding why they have to hide it, imagine what the gently caress else they're doing. Especially since this seems to be mostly weeding out the ones who are dumb enough to be loud about it.

It's disturbing how much even the Democrats are pushing 'entrepreneurs' as the future of the country to solve all its problems when this is what it looks like in practice.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/hadas_gold/status/894980955047374848
See guys, he said that he's in favor of diversity! Therefore, if we disregard everything else he wrote, he's not "anti-diversity"!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Even more history from the Google dude I realize he's tripped into milkshake duck without even being the good guy first, but it turns out he was the lead of a sexist performance in grad school that the deans felt they had to apologize. Also, in passing, that he left grad school for Google, which isn't quite the same as failing out with a master's.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

Imagine you're Big Software Development, Inc., a big software development company that doesn't care about diversity either positively or negatively beyond its effect on quarterly profits. Your middle management/HR unit is thoroughly average and your main current problem is that you get asked to program a shitload of relatively simple widgets for corporate use but you don't have enough programmers to program all those widgets in time.

Do you
1) launch the BSD, Inc. diversity initiative designed to bring your corporate culture into the 21st century, while using cutting-edge interviewing/assessment methods and lots of effort to filter out the very best programmers from a huge pool of applicants including second-tier and third-tier schools because you don't want to miss out on really smart people who didn't go to Stanford

or 2) tell your mediocre HR crew to hire some Stanford compsci grads plus whoever an arbitrary recruiting service you engage recommends after giving them idiot questions like "Fizzbuzz on whiteboard", since all the new programmers are doing will be coding simple corporate widgets anyway and it's more important to fill those empty positions with someone minimally competent as soon as possible than to spend longer to get the smartest possible programmers, so you might as well use "went to Stanford" as a filter to cut down on the number of applications your HR crew needs to look at without increasing the idiot quota in your applicant pool
?

If all I need is warm bodies in the seats, why on Earth would I pick Stanford applicants when I could probably get State U Of West Indiana students who have the same skill as far as basic programming but also expect less pay in general?

Significant Ant posted:

Why wouldn't they? "Guy who researched something else but also did programming and programs ok" is a pretty significant chunk of the Google workforce.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 9, 2017

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even more history from the Google dude I realize he's tripped into milkshake duck without even being the good guy first, but it turns out he was the lead of a sexist performance in grad school that the deans felt they had to apologize. Also, in passing, that he left grad school for Google, which isn't quite the same as failing out with a master's.

Apparently it was a masturbation joke during a roast. I wish the article included the actual remarks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

While I don't disagree with the gist of this statement, the top-10 universities tend too be quite cheap for people of modest means due to huge endowments which allow for large need based scholarships. The lack of knowledge of this system may prevent some people who would otherwise be admitted from applying.
There are a whole lot of income based hurdles before you get in, but once you get in wealth is less of a factor.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

nm posted:

While I don't disagree with the gist of this statement, the top-10 universities tend too be quite cheap for people of modest means due to huge endowments which allow for large need based scholarships. The lack of knowledge of this system may prevent some people who would otherwise be admitted from applying.
There are a whole lot of income based hurdles before you get in, but once you get in wealth is less of a factor.

I went to a top 10 university and my need based financial aid grant was more than tuition. I do feel like I had a fairly privileged upbringing in many ways, but my parents were not wealthy (nor were we poor)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

nm posted:

There is a large area within which you're too rich for need-based scholarships but too poor to pay cash. Those are the people that wind up with crippling debt burdens.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

If all I need is warm bodies in the seats, why on Earth would I pick Stanford applicants when I could probably get State U Of West Indiana students who have the same skill as far as basic programming but also expect less pay in general?

1) Even after accounting for Stanford being full of privileged upper middle class kids, it's likely an above-average proportion of Stanford compsci grads will meet minimum standards for warm programmer bodies in seats, compared to e.g. University of Phoenix Online compsci Information Technology with a Concentration in Software Engineering grads.

2) If you're already at the point of arbitrarily limiting the applicant pool because you're swamped with sufficiently qualified people, why not arbitrarily limit it in a way that emphasises how much of an in-demand employer you are (see, we don't just take any compsci grads, we only take ~elite Stanford compsci grads~ :agesilaus:).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There is a large area within which you're too rich for need-based scholarships but too poor to pay cash. Those are the people that wind up with crippling debt burdens.

They're also generally well off enough that I don't feel terribly sorry for them. At least in my experience, need based aid at these schools is quite generous, though that may have changed substantially since I went to school.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not at top Ivy schools. Not unless your parents are squandering the vast majority of their income and refuse to support you, and even then. e.g. a couple making $150k would be expected to contribute $15k/yr to Harvard https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Apparently it was a masturbation joke during a roast. I wish the article included the actual remarks.

It is well-known that only men masturbate :biotruths:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve French posted:

They're also generally well off enough that I don't feel terribly sorry for them. At least in my experience, need based aid at these schools is quite generous, though that may have changed substantially since I went to school.

When did you go to school? It's quite relevant.

baquerd posted:

Not at top Ivy schools. Not unless your parents are squandering the vast majority of their income and refuse to support you, and even then. e.g. a couple making $150k would be expected to contribute $15k/yr to Harvard https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

"about 60 percent receive need–based scholarships and pay an average of $12,000 per year." Graduating $48K in debt is a significant burden for a lot of people.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

baquerd posted:

I might be dooming myself to the guillotine here, but there's a bunch of cases where parents can both make more than $150k and still be nowhere near able to fund Harvard. High cost of living areas, multiple kids, all sorts of stuff.

Edit: My own personal experience was Caltech, who has a similar "we only do need based aid, we are need-blind, if you get into Caltech you will be able to afford to go" policy. They told my Dad that he could afford to pay 30% of his gross income to send me to college. I didn't end up going to Caltech.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From Stanford's non-binding aid calculator page:

quote:

It is not designed to calculate contributions for students whose natural parents do not live in the same household because they are divorced, separated, remarried or never married; Stanford determines both a custodial and non-custodial parental contribution in these cases. If either parent is remarried, we consider the step-parent's contribution in our official needs analysis. You can use the calculator to estimate an expected contribution for each parent by going through the calculation twice.
This leaves a heck of a lot of people out in the cold -- it's very common for one partner in a divorce to refuse to contribute to a child's college costs, yet the child's financial aid mandates that money is available.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"about 60 percent receive need–based scholarships and pay an average of $12,000 per year." Graduating $48K in debt is a significant burden for a lot of people.

$48k of debt is a decent chunk, but a Harvard degree tends to be worth a bit more. Unusually, degrees from absolute top schools also tend to still be valuable 10+ years into your career because the name recognition on the resume still has an effect.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

baquerd posted:

$48k of debt is a decent chunk, but a Harvard degree tends to be worth a bit more. Unusually, degrees from absolute top schools also tend to still be valuable 10+ years into your career because the name recognition on the resume still has an effect.

That's valuable 10+ years into your career *if* you, as an 18-year-old, decide that you can shoulder $48K in debt. (Which may well have to be co-signed by your parents.) Saying "it will all be worth it eventually" is not as persuasive as "Or you can go to State U, and graduate without $N in payments every month."

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's valuable 10+ years into your career *if* you, as an 18-year-old, decide that you can shoulder $48K in debt. (Which may well have to be co-signed by your parents.) Saying "it will all be worth it eventually" is not as persuasive as "Or you can go to State U, and graduate without $N in payments every month."

And in the vast, vast, majority of private institutions, it's not worth it to take that debt on. My argument for the most renowned colleges of the era being "special" doesn't end at simple name recognition on your resume though, a person is going to have an alumni network consisting of many upper-class elites, likely ease of initial job placement through said network, world-class professors and visiting speakers, immediate prestige out of the gate, and just in general, a great many opportunities that you won't get at a state school.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

baquerd posted:

And in the vast, vast, majority of private institutions, it's not worth it to take that debt on. My argument for the most renowned colleges of the era being "special" doesn't end at simple name recognition on your resume though, a person is going to have an alumni network consisting of many upper-class elites, likely ease of initial job placement through said network, world-class professors and visiting speakers, immediate prestige out of the gate, and just in general, a great many opportunities that you won't get at a state school.
If I'm a middle-class kid too poor to pay $48K in cash and too rich to get a full ride, that's pie in the sky. You're talking from the perspective of somebody who did go to one of those schools. Now consider the perspective of a family that's always gone to State U if they've gone to college at all. $48K is a lot of money to gamble.

"This calculated risk is probably worth it" is not the same as "Everybody has access to Harvard/Stanford/whatever".

e: There's a zip-code lottery for Top 10 CS schools. If you're a very bright Georgia kid, you can go to Georgia Tech. California kid? Berkeley, CalTech, UCSD. Arkansas? Good luck.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

$48k in debt is less debt that you'd get going to any UC, whose tuition is around $15k per year. Please note that the Harvard estimate seems to include all room and board, which makes it likely cheaper than most CSUs.

Also, that is an average number, and remember that the average harvard student is a poo poo ton richer than the average anyone else. In fact, to pay $12k per year based on their calculator, you have to make between 110-115k per year household. That is a lot of money, even in the bay area. I'm not weeping crocodile tears for the poor "middle class" 6 figure income families.

Also, regarding the $150k just isn't that much money argument, if we want true economic diversity, we probably want to include the middle class, rather than just henrys. And not even those making $151k get left out in the cold, there is a sliding scale there as well. Someone making $155k pays $22.5k per year, which, for the record is less than what Berkeley thinks it will cost to go there ($28k, in state) including room and board.
Those making $65,000 or less go for free. The average household income is $52k per year. Even in California, it is $62k. Even in San francisco, it is less than $80k per year (This family would pay $7k per year, FYI.)

Below the top 10-20 schools, need based aid drops off a lot, but at the really top end private schools, once you get over all the economic hurdles of actually getting admitted, they are a pretty killer deal for anyone making under $150k or so.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 9, 2017