Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's so weird to me that this show now has four seasons because I feel like I never heard anything about it after the first few episodes of the first season. I was honestly baffled when I heard it was still on the air. Who's been watching that all along? I don't think I've even see journalism sites do recaps for it like they do for even semi-popular shows.

e: :lol: I just checked the ratings on Wiki and the third season's finale didn't even crack 300,000 viewers :stare: Why are they even bothering to renew this?

Critical acclaim. It got real good after season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I just looked up the ratings for Twin Peaks and those haven't been great either, but that show's had a dedicated fanbase for ages and I've never been aware of any kind of dedicated fanbase for Halt And Catch Fire if there is one. It's just a show I never hear anyone refer to, good or bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Critical acclaim. It got real good after season 1.

Season 1 was so boring though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Season 1 was so boring though.

Yeah. But it got real good after that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a good show. It went from focusing on a Mad Men ripoff character to a startup making MMO games and chat systems in the 80s. I think the last season will be about the AOL/Compuserve stuff. They fix almost everything starting season 2 and it's more interesting than it sounds. It just has a terrible title.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

less laughter posted:

I hope if the upcoming DuckTales revival is a success, they reboot Rescue Rangers as well. And Adventures of the Gummi Bears.

esperterra posted:

I want them to revive Darkwing Duck, and by revive Darkwing Duck I just mean remaster it and start airing it again.

DuckTales is one of my favourite shows of all time, but I'm worried about the revival.

Ducktales is being allowed to use characters from any show on the Disney Afternoon, except Rescue Rangers--so don't expect a TV reboot of Rescue Rangers any time soon for the same reason (they're making a movie). Darkwing is apparently confirmed to be appearing in Ducktales, and I'm not talking about the photoshopped images from a few weeks back--this is coming from the SDCC panel. Gummi Bears is theoretically possible, I guess, but there's no word about that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It's so weird to me that this show now has four seasons because I feel like I never heard anything about it after the first few episodes of the first season. I was honestly baffled when I heard it was still on the air. Who's been watching that all along? I don't think I've even see journalism sites do recaps for it like they do for even semi-popular shows.

Alan Sepinwall's covered it, e.g. here

http://uproxx.com/media/review-halt-and-catch-fire-looks-to-the-future-in-its-remarkable-season-finale/

It's a weird little show, but good (to me, but then I'm a programmer who grew up in the 80s so kinda the core demo I guess)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

It has Robin Williams therefor it rules.

That's a dangerous rule to live by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCR_fgG0ydY

esperterra posted:

I want them to revive Darkwing Duck, and by revive Darkwing Duck I just mean remaster it and start airing it again.

I would be very happy if they made a new Darkwing Duck show, as long as Jim Cummings is still the voice. I don't care if it has that bad new Duck Tales animation style and throws out all continuity from the old show and the awesome comics, as long as we have that voice.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 9, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

less laughter posted:

I hope if the upcoming DuckTales revival is a success, they reboot Rescue Rangers as well. And Adventures of the Gummi Bears.

Folks are going gaga over the pilot, so it sounds like they pulled it off well. I'm surprisingly excited - not because I have much affinity for the original DuckTales, and I've pretty much given up on watching cartoons otherwise, but I really did love the comics as a kid and love those types of adventure stories. I just want a decent modern Tintin show, and this looks like it might scratch that itch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Folks are going gaga over the pilot, so it sounds like they pulled it off well. I'm surprisingly excited - not because I have much affinity for the original DuckTales, and I've pretty much given up on watching cartoons otherwise, but I really did love the comics as a kid and love those types of adventure stories. I just want a decent modern Tintin show, and this looks like it might scratch that itch.

There are some really good cartoons out there that aren't talked about much in the Couch Chat thread; nothing as spectacular or epic in scope as Justice League, Avatar, Aventure Time, Steven Universe or your other plot-oriented heavyweights, but Amazing World of Gumball is hilarious and handles a multitude of animation styles very deftly and We Bare Bears is a fun, adult friendly slice-of-life comedy (S01E09 "Jean Jacket" and S01E19 "Tote Life" are two first season highlights that are on Hulu).

I've actually been meaning to get a Tote Life inspired avatar for a while.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 9, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bryanfuller/status/895111611127521280

@neoprod is Martha de Laurentis, looks like they're actively discussing Hannibal season 4.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of strange that they're set on doing a Rescue Rangers movie in 2017. What's the last big thing Chip and Dale were used for?

Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of nostalgia for it compared with DuckTales or Darkwing Duck; Rescue Rangers was the one I was aware of but never watched (TaleSpin, as I explained last time it came up ITT, was the one I saw but just didn't get at the time). Would it be the "big" Disney Afternoon nostalgia thing - even more than DuckTales - for some folks today?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's sort of strange that they're set on doing a Rescue Rangers movie in 2017.

The live action movie was announced over three and a half years ago (perhaps based on the success of the Chipmunks movies) and there's been no news since, so it's probably stuck in development hell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realise it was meant to be a live-action. That just makes it even stranger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't realise it was meant to be a live-action. That just makes it even stranger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhhhhh, furries. Of course.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

e: :lol: I just checked the ratings on Wiki and the third season's finale didn't even crack 300,000 viewers :stare: Why are they even bothering to renew this?

It's an incredibly good show that AMC is keeping around because like ~4 people at AMC correctly realize how great it is and have the power to do so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Season 2 was really good, I never watched 3 for some reason.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well I just looked up the ratings for Twin Peaks and those haven't been great either, but that show's had a dedicated fanbase for ages and I've never been aware of any kind of dedicated fanbase for Halt And Catch Fire if there is one. It's just a show I never hear anyone refer to, good or bad.
Twin Peaks S3 was never going to get good ratings but they've been just dire.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Showtime says they're happy because all the people watching are new subscribers. I'm not sure how happy they'll be when they all cancel when Twin Peaks is over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know why they bother reporting live ratings for premium cable shows. First, it doesn't matter in the same way since there are no advertisers to worry about. Second, they all have very robust streaming options and a decent chunk of people watch that way.

I haven't watched one episode of twin peaks live (just finished up episode 8 last night), but I did subscribe to Showtime to watch it. That's the far more important bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I don't know why they bother reporting live ratings for premium cable shows. First, it doesn't matter in the same way since there are no advertisers to worry about. Second, they all have very robust streaming options and a decent chunk of people watch that way.

I haven't watched one episode of twin peaks live (just finished up episode 8 last night), but I did subscribe to Showtime to watch it. That's the far more important bit.

Ratings are a measurement the public understands and also it's in Nielsen's interest to keep pushing the ratings model because it's their entire reason for existence.

GreenNight posted:

Showtime says they're happy because all the people watching are new subscribers. I'm not sure how happy they'll be when they all cancel when Twin Peaks is over.

Not happy enough to discuss a fourth season.

I'm thinking about doing a whole big marathon of the whole thing start to finish when this season is over. I watched Twin Peaks for the first time last year but I quit when Lynch left in the second season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's worth finishing up the second season because they do refer to pieces in season 3.

Also go find the movie somewhere cause it's not on streaming.

Lynch has been living in France since he finished. I'm sure they'd bring it back if he wanted another season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Also go find the movie somewhere cause it's not on streaming.

It's on Showtime right now. If you sub to Showtime for the show, you can stream the movie too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have Showtime Anytime. I guess I missed seeing the movie on there. I watched it via alternate means like some moron, apparently.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, it seems very much like if David wanted a 4th season, it'd have already been announced

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's really lame that all articles reposting the "no fourth season" story are missing out the fact that Nevins said there was never a plan for any discussion until the finale had aired at least.

bull3964 posted:

I haven't watched one episode of twin peaks live (just finished up episode 8 last night)

How was this for you?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Took 25 years for a 3rd season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

How was this for you?

It was a thing I experienced on my moving picture box machine. I don't feel qualified to comment much beyond that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All Things isn't a very good X-files episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreenNight posted:

Hmm. I wonder if Marvel TV would go to Disney streaming then.

I doubt it. Netflix actually finances and produces its Marvel shows, as opposed to the other Disney content they have (which they basically just re-sell).

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how that has a bit about Disney not being able to buy the Muppets.

To be fair, that was a thing for a long time. Jim Henson and Michael Eisner had reached a deal for Disney to buy Jim Henson Productions outright back in the '80s, then Henson's health went south and eventually the whole thing went south after he died, primarily because the Henson children loving hated Eisner. Then like ten years later, they sold the company to a German TV conglomerate that eventually went broke and started selling off its properties. The family was able to repurchase its properties but had to get highly leveraged to do so, and so Eisner swooped back in and bought the entirety of The Muppets for literally half of what he would have paid back in 1989.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

I doubt it. Netflix actually finances and produces its Marvel shows, as opposed to the other Disney content they have (which they basically just re-sell).

On the other hand, their Netflix stuff has a natural endpoint coming up with the big crossover miniseries, I could see them not re-upping once the original deal reaches its end. Especially considering how critical and popular reception has cooled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I believe they already have Cage S2 and JJ S2 in production and Punisher S1 and Iron Fist S2 announced.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy Mann posted:

On the other hand, their Netflix stuff has a natural endpoint coming up with the big crossover miniseries, I could see them not re-upping once the original deal reaches its end. Especially considering how critical and popular reception has cooled.

Hard to say, since their original programming is most likely already stretching into 2019. Punisher comes out in November, Jessica Jones S2 and Daredevil S3 are next year, Iron Fist and Luke Cage S2 have both been announced but don't have dates yet and I doubt Netflix is going to cram four Marvel shows into 2018.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Netflix said that IF was their most watched Marvel show to date and Luke Cage was received insanely well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I don't have any kids or enough nostalgia to give a poo poo about cartoons, but I do love the Marvel movie catalogue. 5 dollars is kinda steep for that only tho, then again I still haven't seen Ant Man and I've heard good things...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

All Things isn't a very good X-files episode.

I respectfully disagree.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/bryanfuller/status/895111611127521280

@neoprod is Martha de Laurentis, looks like they're actively discussing Hannibal season 4.

I hope that, if this actually happens, it only goes through if Lifetime agrees to let them use Clarice and Bill.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Monkey's Paw: Hannibal returns, but it's on Lifetime with a Lifetime made-for-TV movie budget.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like I loved Fuller's version of the Will and Hannibal story, but I'm done with it. Either move on to Clarice finally or do something new imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

I hope that, if this actually happens, it only goes through if Lifetime agrees to let them use Clarice and Bill.

There were rumors that Lifetime's option on Silence of the Lambs expires this year. No one's ever said it, one way or the other, but Fuller's said the only reason he'd go back and make more is if he could do a twist on Buffalo Bill.

• Locked thread