Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Croatoan posted:

Oh it existed much to Disney's chagrin. It's one of those movies that did not date itself well in regards to racism.

Whoosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Song of the South is fake news

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Oh it existed much to Disney's chagrin. It's one of those movies that did not date itself well in regards to racism.

I think that was a joke.

efb, got distracted by the snopes article about it never being released on home video due to NAACP complaints (basically true, has never been released in the US but complaints weren't necessary because duh)

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 9, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had Song of the South on video when I was little. I don't remember anything from the live action bits other than the wee boy getting trampled by a cow or something at the end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I had Song of the South on video when I was little. I don't remember anything from the live action bits other than the wee boy getting trampled by a cow or something at the end.

The only really good take-away from Song of the South is the song Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. There's really nothing else that memorable in it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

X-O posted:

The only really good take-away from Song of the South is the song Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. There's really nothing else that memorable in it.

Ride Splash Mountain!

Don't ask who these characters are or where they're from!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if they'll ever try to "reboot" Splash Mountain if they got some newer characters who'd fit it.

Could you do a Moana-themed Splash Mountain?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

It gave us one of the best Saturday TV Funhouse bits ever.

https://vimeo.com/40604999

"Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay, negros are inferior in ever-y way~"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

Been thinking "You're supposed to be funny?" every time I've seen Mickey for the last decade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm. I wonder if Marvel TV would go to Disney streaming then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JethroMcB posted:

Been thinking "You're supposed to be funny?" every time I've seen Mickey for the last decade.

That's why Donald and Goofy are everyone's favourites.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JethroMcB posted:

The new animated Mickey Shorts are funny. Because they're more like the original shorts and less like the Mickey's Clubhouse/House of Mouse stuff that's been the norm the last 30 years. They intentionally go back to that tone of the early Disney shorts that were such an integral part of the early years of animation. Where Mickey actually has a personality and Donald is an uptight ball of anger that explodes at the drop of a hat and Goofy is... well Goofy has pretty much always been exactly the same.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have vague memories of loving Song of the South as a kid and lots of weird white guilt about that as an adult. Like, I don't remember poo poo about it and I know kid me didn't know what the gently caress a "tarbaby" was or a minstrel show. But it still kind of bugs me.

There's a small question I have in the back of my head about why my very not racist parents were cool with me watching it. That one's never really going to get answered.

I also really liked the crows from Dumbo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

STAC Goat posted:

Which one? Jim?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Song of the South is mostly just super boring, and this is coming from someone who loved watching The Wonderful World of Disney and their old live-action stuff like 20,000 Leagues. The animated bits are the only worthwhile part of it and they put them in the sing-along tapes I grew up with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The oldest thing I remember as a kid was some sing a long called zippity do da.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bobkatt013 posted:

Which one? Jim?

Clearly just Fats and Dopey. Because that's less racist.

Mostly I just try to figure out when they taught me about Jim Crow in school and when I stopped watching Dumbo and wondering if I was really dumb or what.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I have vague memories of loving Song of the South as a kid and lots of weird white guilt about that as an adult. Like, I don't remember poo poo about it and I know kid me didn't know what the gently caress a "tarbaby" was or a minstrel show. But it still kind of bugs me.

There's a small question I have in the back of my head about why my very not racist parents were cool with me watching it. That one's never really going to get answered.

The biggest problem about Song of the South isn't what's actually in it. It's what it glosses over, sanitizes, or just flat out omits. If you were watching it without all of the cultural context you have today you'd probably not notice anything too out of the ordinary for something made in the '40s. It's not like you're going to get the kind of blatant in your face racism that is something akin to even the famous Censored 11 Looney Tunes in Song of the South. This movie has a different kind of problem. Which may even be worse depending on the way you look at it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

X-O posted:

On DisneyLife, the Eurorpean service, you can watch everything from Snow White to Tron to Fun and Fancy Free to Turner and Hooch to Saludos Amigos to Remeber the Titans to Little Mermaid to Black Cauldron. It's all there. Even the direct to video sequels to the classics like Bambi II or any of the Aladdin sequels are there if you want to watch them for some crazy reason.
I don't suppose it has all the tv stuff as well? I went looking for the original Duck Tales once and couldn't find it streaming anywhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

"Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay, negros are inferior in ever-y way~"

Kind of funny how that has a bit about Disney not being able to buy the Muppets.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hope and vaseline posted:

KOTH wouldn't be the same without Luanne :(

I totally forgot that she's dead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

X-O posted:

The new animated Mickey Shorts are funny. Because they're more like the original shorts and less like the Mickey's Clubhouse/House of Mouse stuff that's been the norm the last 30 years. They intentionally go back to that tone of the early Disney shorts that were such an integral part of the early years of animation. Where Mickey actually has a personality and Donald is an uptight ball of anger that explodes at the drop of a hat and Goofy is... well Goofy has pretty much always been exactly the same.

I've never seen Donald not being a white hot ball of anger

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I don't suppose it has all the tv stuff as well? I went looking for the original Duck Tales once and couldn't find it streaming anywhere.

It does in the UK. not gonna lie I might actually get a subscription to dis poo poo, it even has Gravity Falls and stuff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Calaveron posted:

I think they calmed him down somewhere around DuckTales. But I'm not sure because I think the only thing I've seen him in after that I can remember was Roger Rabbit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Calaveron posted:

It's been a little inconsistent over the years going from angry to just crabby for a while. In the new cartoons I'd say it's the the point it he needs serious anger management and counseling. In one cartoon they have Ludwig Von Drake suck the anger out him with some wild experiment of his but it manifests into a Hulk like creature that pretty much wrecks everything in sight.

There's also a good one that's specifically about how people perceive Mickey as a pushover that's too nice and he tries to rebel against that to disastrous results.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who has a child that will be 4 in 2019 you can bet your rear end I'll gladly pay $10-15/mo for access to Disney's back catalog, if only so that she doesn't get into a pattern of wanting to watch the same movie again and again and again (she probably will anyway, I just hope it's Aladdin and not, like, Pocahontas).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm the same with the Brer Rabbit stories. I don't think I ever saw the SotS movie as a whole but those stories were part of my childhood. I'm not clamoring that they were somehow sacred and should be brought back or anything, just something I didn't learn the context for until quite a bit later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's 2017, there should already be a Disney streaming service.

Also Alladin 3 kicks rear end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one with his dad? The animation looks like poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

The one with his dad? The animation looks like poo poo.

It has Robin Williams therefor it rules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, Preacher was doing good for a while there but it's just gotten slow as gently caress and wheel-spinny again

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

It does in the UK. not gonna lie I might actually get a subscription to dis poo poo, it even has Gravity Falls and stuff

Does it have Rescue Rangers

If the US one comes out with that and Ducktales there's no way I can resist

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't find that (I got a free trial) but it def has DuckTales. Also seems to only have animated Marvel/Star Wars stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Clearly just Fats and Dopey. Because that's less racist.

Mostly I just try to figure out when they taught me about Jim Crow in school and when I stopped watching Dumbo and wondering if I was really dumb or what.

American history tl:dr?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Regy Rusty posted:

Does it have Rescue Rangers

If the US one comes out with that and Ducktales there's no way I can resist

I hope if the upcoming DuckTales revival is a success, they reboot Rescue Rangers as well. And Adventures of the Gummi Bears.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I want them to revive Darkwing Duck, and by revive Darkwing Duck I just mean remaster it and start airing it again.

DuckTales is one of my favourite shows of all time, but I'm worried about the revival.

Hey UK goon, is Gargoyles on the streaming service?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Yeah it's kinda bugging me that Netflix is either losing the clout, the money, or the willingness to get content from providers.....and it's probably mostly the latter. Like Food Network pulled out pretty much all their poo poo near the beginning of this year. I wasn't done watching Cutthroat Kitchen, you assholes! :argh:

Netflix clearly saw this coming considering the absurd amounts of shows they themselves push out annually.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The final season of Halt and Catch Fire starts next Saturday night on AMC.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I want them to revive Darkwing Duck, and by revive Darkwing Duck I just mean remaster it and start airing it again.

DuckTales is one of my favourite shows of all time, but I'm worried about the revival.

Hey UK goon, is Gargoyles on the streaming service?

no :(

hell yeah @ Halt and Catch Fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

The final season of Halt and Catch Fire starts next Saturday night on AMC.
It's so weird to me that this show now has four seasons because I feel like I never heard anything about it after the first few episodes of the first season. I was honestly baffled when I heard it was still on the air. Who's been watching that all along? I don't think I've even see journalism sites do recaps for it like they do for even semi-popular shows.

e: :lol: I just checked the ratings on Wiki and the third season's finale didn't even crack 300,000 viewers :stare: Why are they even bothering to renew this?

• Locked thread