Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ufarn posted:

Only Matthew Vaughn should be allowed to shoot Millar's work.

I liked Wanted, too bad the Ben-Hur remake likely put a kibosh on future Timur Bekmambetov films, at least in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

zoux posted:

We'll find out. I wonder if that means they'll be free to make stuff related to the three movie properties, especially since one of them is mid-franchise.

Incidentally, here's all the stuff listed by his site as "Millarworld". I've mostly read Millar's big 2 stuff, I think Wanted is the only indy stuff of his I've read.

Well, according to that news, Kick-rear end and Kingsmen are excluded, but he makes no mention of Wanted.

Mark Millar posted:

Kingsman and Kick-rear end have unique Hollywood deals elsewhere and aren’t a part of this particular acquisition, but those two fine men are toasting us in spirit from London and California respectively.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now I'm curious, he'd announced deals for Chrononauts and Huck almost as soon as the first issues hit but nothing has come of either.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/894613614388158464

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Spoil me please. I never read the book, what actually happens at the end of Wanted?

My best friend made me watch the movie a lot, because we both had crushes on Angelina Jolie. :swoon:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You, the reader, get insulted for reading it.

And also

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The book is also almost nothing like the movie. The comic takes place in a universe that is thinly veiled DC but where the supervillains all teamed up, defeated the heroes and then rewrote reality to make it that superheroes don't exist.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

Now I'm curious, he'd announced deals for Chrononauts and Huck almost as soon as the first issues hit but nothing has come of either.

He also announced a deal for Nemesis but.....well....let's just say they probably found out how to abort the incest child without blowing up the president's daughter.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
http://screenrant.com/dredd-tv-series-karl-urban-cast/

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Still too much of a "maybe" for me to get truly pumped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

He also announced a deal for Nemesis but.....well....let's just say they probably found out how to abort the incest child without blowing up the president's daughter.

It makes me sad that I understand that sentence :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Millar seems like a better businessman than he is a writer. In fact I believe he dropped out of an economics degree so he could become a comic book writer.

It still bemuses me that some of his earliest professional work was loving seven-page Sonic the Hedgehog strips.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That url angers me. He's in talks, he hasn't been cast. I hate Screen Rant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like if they actually got Urban it would be like Bradley Cooper in that Limitless TV spin-off, where he's more a very expensive recurring guest than the star. (Which is fine, just make Anderson the lead and you can still make a Dredd-verse show)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like if they actually got Urban it would be like Bradley Cooper in that Limitless TV spin-off, where he's more a very expensive recurring guest than the star. (Which is fine, just make Anderson the lead and you can still make a Dredd-verse show)

Urban was probably at his height of popularity when that Almost Human show hit and he was a headliner. I think the guy just likes to work, it doesn't matter what format, and if he can get something steady, he'd be totally up for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RevKrule posted:

Urban was probably at his height of popularity when that Almost Human show hit and he was a headliner. I think the guy just likes to work, it doesn't matter what format, and if he can get something steady, he'd be totally up for that.

When Almost Human was cancelled he said he wasn't likely to do more television because he didn't like being away from his family that much. But if it's a 10-13 episode cable show versus a 22 episode network show, it's probably an easier sell.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And by all accounts he loved the Dread role

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That url angers me. He's in talks, he hasn't been cast. I hate Screen Rant.
Comicbook reporting is the only reporting that's lower than videogame reporting, it's insane how much they subsist on rumourmongering, but nothing new, alas.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Rumor-mongering, and every comic news site uses clickbait titles exclusively, from what I've seen. And none of them seem to load on my phone properly without weird scam ads popping up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Millar seems like a better businessman than he is a writer. In fact I believe he dropped out of an economics degree so he could become a comic book writer.

It still bemuses me that some of his earliest professional work was loving seven-page Sonic the Hedgehog strips.

He's clever, and seems like a great guy to hang out with at a party. He can write some good Superman or Fantastic Four, but he knows the more crude stuff is what gets you the big bucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like his Ultimate work a lot, the resolution and big battle in Ultimates 2 is one of my favorite comic book fights ever.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/jasonlynch/status/894793466982551558
https://twitter.com/TheFienPrint/status/894794615114440705

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/rob-sheffield-on-the-defenders-superhero-show-is-three-fourths-great-w496490

Rob Sheffield basically says that the Defenders treats Danny Rand as a douche that no one likes, which makes me strangely more excited about the series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well at least it doesn't suck :kiddo:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ekeog posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/rob-sheffield-on-the-defenders-superhero-show-is-three-fourths-great-w496490

Rob Sheffield basically says that the Defenders treats Danny Rand as a douche that no one likes, which makes me strangely more excited about the series.

I thought that trailer made that obvious, what with the other 3 dunking on him the whole time? (Krysten Ritter snorting "No, it's not" to him boasting that his fist power is chi is the best)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And a new gifted trailer. No spectacular new shots but utterances of "X-Men" "Brotherhood" and "Sentinel".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gaz-L posted:

I thought that trailer made that obvious, what with the other 3 dunking on him the whole time? (Krysten Ritter snorting "No, it's not" to him boasting that his fist power is chi is the best)

Hell, the way Danny was shown in his series, JJ could probably take him out, easily even. He can do one chi punch(Every 24h?) and struggles to defeat the most basic henchmen.

(I know JJ isn't a punchymans series so it probably won't happen, just saying)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey Rhyno! I think this is the first time I've seen Welling admit it was him that nixed being Superman in the Smallville finale.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/08/smallville-tom-welling-finale-superman-suit/

quote:

Our series finale was supposed to be, in the first act, Clark puts on the suit and flies around, saves Lois on a plane, and does this other stuff. It was a call that I had with Peter Roth, who is the head of Warner Bros. Television, who’s a good friend of mine and we have a great relationship. I said, ‘That’s not our show, Peter.’ He’s like, ‘No, it’s going to be great,” and I go, ‘Yeah, but just think about what we’ve been doing. If we just jump into that, we haven’t earned it.’

If you didn't earn one goddamn episode of actually being Superman after 10 years that shows how lovely your show was.

quote:

We jumped onto this idea that at the end of the show, the idea is that Clark becomes Superman and he’s out there, and we know he’s out there, but we can’t go with him, but that we know and we feel good that he’s out there doing good. That was what we strove for, and I think we hit it. I liked the ending of the series, because it’s like, ‘Yes, he did it!’ I hope the audience didn’t feel like we didn’t show them something that they needed to see. I felt like we gave them the jumping off point for their imagination as to what could happen.”

No, they needed to see it. I mean you teased for 10 years, you really need to follow through.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
gently caress you, Welling!!!! :argh:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
At least I take comfort in the fact that his career is dead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Hey Rhyno! I think this is the first time I've seen Welling admit it was him that nixed being Superman in the Smallville finale.

If you didn't earn one goddamn episode of actually being Superman after 10 years that shows how lovely your show was.

No, they needed to see it. I mean you teased for 10 years, you really need to follow through.

Yeah, the idea of the finale as the usual Superman-debuts-in-Metropolis bit is literally the perfect note to go out on, and the fact that he thought it didn't fit kinda says a lot about where his career went after that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

In a vacuum, I do get what Welling was saying. However, the show ran for a decade, to not show him in the suit after that long is a massive cocktease.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I always thought this was the case. It's funny how he finds a way to say "Look, I just didn't want to do it. I never wanted to wear that suit!".

Which is fine, but come on dude, you wore the silliest jacket/fake superhero outfit ever!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw that earlier! Welling is such a goddamn dick!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

X-O posted:

He is the worst.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read recently that one mooted plan was to do five seasons of Smallville then end it and bring it back the following season as Metropolis, which would have been a full-on Superman show, but it ended up not happening. Is that true or fanciful?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Honestly the finale could've been a never before seen Christopher Reeves Superman film directed by Richard Donner and I still wouldn't have watched it. Anyone who cares how that show ended has their priorities screwed up.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read recently that one mooted plan was to do five seasons of Smallville then end it and bring it back the following season as Metropolis, which would have been a full-on Superman show, but it ended up not happening. Is that true or fanciful?

Not true, just a common fan-wish. The show was supposed to last 5 years or so, got sort of derailed by Superman Returns (they were building their own thing until they had to have their Krypton stuff in-line with Donner/Returns version) and then the show kept on going because it was popular, Supernatural-like.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

Didn't some studios option the rights to a couple of things which hadn't even had an issue published? I remember Secret Service getting its movie rights sold when it was practically just a title announcement, but maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

In continuing the dunk on Tom Welling theme

quote:

TV Guide also asked Tom Welling if he’d been approached to appear on the (Supergirl), just as Terri Hatcher, Dean Cain, Helen Slater, Erica Durance, and other actors with ties to the Superman/Supergirl franchise had been previously. Seemingly confused, Welling responded he doesn’t think the Clark Kent of Smallville “exists in that world”.

"No, and I mean that respectfully. It’s a different tone. That show is great; it does really well, but I don’t think the character I played exists in that world."
:doh: