Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Public test servers are good because they bring us beloved characters such as Captain Placeholder and Flaskataur Esquire, and cooking trainers transforming into raid bosses and burning the entire city to do stress testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It could have been a white background room a la The Matrix with a single training dummy, just to let people test and give feedback on the classes.

WHM got to a better point, but they could have dodged all this and likely refined the Lily mechanic more with something like that a month before release.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FACT: Alte Roite is the hardest fight in savage because nobody can ever remember how to do it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

FACT: Alte Roite is the hardest fight in savage because nobody can ever remember how to do it.

It's the only fight that I imagine PF groups are better because they'd run it so many times.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It could have been a white background room a la The Matrix with a single training dummy, just to let people test and give feedback on the classes.

Or a SSS 8 man raid with the dummy replaced by 'Leviabeetus' that does simple attacks like '1000 damage melee' and '1000 damage bolt.'

The only way to not spoil story would be to replace text with silly summarizations and that's just asking to make it to release.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't think I was expecting Sexy Urien out of this event. But I'm not disappointed?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

Sexy Urien

this is redundant

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Daily reminder that kills win frontlines.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Daily reminder that kills win frontlines.

Huh, Adders lost despite having more points gotten from kills. :thunk:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah it's kind of weird that the expected playstyle for MCH is 'Get heat to 95, hit Hypercharge for vuln debuff, load ammo, fire hot shot to get overheated, do your rotation and OGCDs and look at a meh explosion with a less-meh number'.

Do the exact opposite of this. Rapid Fire instead, Split shot instead, load ammo after overheat. (Because Hot Shot is 60 seconds now.)

edit: gently caress, should have reloaded (the page).

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 9, 2017

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Huh, Adders lost despite having more points gotten from kills. :thunk:

Additionally the point lead via ice is probably offered a buffer to not let Adder start laying some casualties on you.

e: not denying kills are important, just that you chose a real bad game to showcase that with :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hello yes I am actually an idiot.

But here's my counterpoint: I killed like five people while running away from them. Summoner is kind of ridiculous in pvp.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbf he did say "don't feed kills."

To explain it to those who don't get the joke, that's a pretty close one with even performance all around in ice and kills, except it looks like that adders surrendered one big ice so they fell behind the hardest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There we go there's a much better demonstration.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now we're talkin

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The Isle of Endless Summer is significantly less fun when it's pouring out. :p You'd think they'd turn off weather in the zone for the Faire or something...

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
So far my experience as Monk in PVP has been to run around and wait until someone in a group running away is falling behind and then shoulder tackling them and finishing them off. Basically a vulture waiting to pick at the weakest link.

It's a (pvp) living.

Seriously though monking in PVP is a hard knock life. Tons of BLM, RDM, SMN, MCH, and BRDs ready for you to walk into range.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So far my experience as Monk in PVP has been to run around and wait until someone in a group running away is falling behind and then shoulder tackling them and finishing them off. Basically a vulture waiting to pick at the weakest link.

It's a (pvp) living.

Seriously though monking in PVP is a hard knock life. Tons of BLM, RDM, SMN, MCH, and BRDs ready for you to walk into range.

Nothing is funnier than when a melee dps decides he's going to sack the RDM right when I have a melee combo built up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Melee is a pain in pvp because yeah there is a bunch of ranged players eager to pick you off. Also running into their melee while their melee is out of range of your own ranged teammates.

Makes DRK broken with good team play by being able to pull in other players. RIP unmends 10 second cool down.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's a (pvp) living.

Like 90% of PVP is actually sniping kills.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
O3S "clear" parties are a nightmare. I've been at it all night and not a single party has made it past zoo

I find it kind of incredible that starting learning on week three was missing the boat but I guess it was! I'm pretty close to putting up beg PFs asking for zero chest runs just to escape this hell

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Hello yes I am actually an idiot.

But here's my counterpoint: I killed like five people while running away from them. Summoner is kind of ridiculous in pvp.

Unless someone casts a regen on your target

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sure, if you're literally only using your dots for some dumb reason.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheetah7071 posted:

O3S "clear" parties are a nightmare. I've been at it all night and not a single party has made it past zoo

I find it kind of incredible that starting learning on week three was missing the boat but I guess it was! I'm pretty close to putting up beg PFs asking for zero chest runs just to escape this hell

Our static should be consistently hitting Library phase on Thursday

I'm, uh, looking forward to it??? :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Learning the fight is fun. Being in a static that can make consistent progress and retain that progress from session to session would make the fight incredible.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

IMO library phase is the hardest part of the fight, at least from my point of view as a DPS.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah it was sort of fun watching us collectively go from *bumbling thru first queen's waltz on normal tile* to *consistently passes mindjack vines, wipes on frost dragon* in a couple hours.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Library Spellblade Holy is the only mechanic that can be messy even with players who know the fight inside and out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Personally I kept continually loving up on the Ribbit cast after the dragon appears, for some drat fool reason.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also holy poo poo is it ever hard to keep track of everything a Bard should be doing in the middle of all that nonsense. BLM has it positively simple by comparison. :mad:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BLM optimization in that fight mostly comes down to 'can I burn my triple/swift for a DPS gain here or am I going to need it for mechanics' and 'if I use another F4 here and go down to 480 MP, will Foul come up in time for me to not waste part of a GCD looking for mana'. The opener can kinda gently caress with you hard if you get targeted for a pole shift but y'know I suspect that's true of every class.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Mind jack with the dark tokens is hardest for me. Probably because I don't use legacy camera.

At this point my static is at that long point where we've seen everything but one or two people (me included sometimes) get hit by something or die to something and the stacks of damage taken up or rez sickness just mean we won't beat the enrage. It reminds me that FFXIV fights are maybe a bit too long.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I just follow 3 simple steps:

1) Figure out which direction I need to face to go
2) wait for tether
3)
a) If tethered, use right mouse button plus moving to get in the correct position (Usually directly in front of that add as i'm meleeing the boss)
b) if not tether just run to a position and make myself run through middle.

Sticking near the middle and orienting yourself with right mouse button ahead of time if possible is Very useful so you just move into the right place instead of having to worry about both

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know people generally post to complain but I want to remind everyone that people are generally friendly and competent, and sometimes if you need to give a bit of advice they'll usually be okay with it. (And if someone replies in a snippy or rude fashion the best thing to do is to just reply "lol kk" and pretend nothing happened.)

It's just really pleasant when you roll into DF as a tank in a leveling dungeon, take one look at your party and figure "yeah I can probably pull big." And when you do everything goes off without a hitch, the healer's on point and starts dropping Gravitys when they notice you pop CDs, everyone uses their aoe moves, and the SAM even remembers to Goad you before you run empty from spamming your own. You even get to sit in Sword Oath for most of the time against the bosses, and you remember to save a good CD for when you know a big hit's on the way.

I got the full monty tank comm hat trick that run but I wish I could give a group comm to everyone else. But really I had to tip my healer. Always tip your healer.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Has anyone else noticed a big framerate drop since this patch dropped? I've gone from 40-50 fps to around 20, and it's wrecking me. Game was booting into a weird resolution at first, too...

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

ruta posted:

Mind jack with the dark tokens is hardest for me. Probably because I don't use legacy camera.

I feel like that mechanic was specifically designed to annoy controller users.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ciaphas posted:

Also holy poo poo is it ever hard to keep track of everything a Bard should be doing in the middle of all that nonsense. BLM has it positively simple by comparison. :mad:

The amount of information you have to keep up with isn't so bad in itself, it's just that it's scattered haphazardly with way to much eye movement involved to the point where it's really easy to lose track of something and end up losing damage. I'm just now getting into raiding myself and between trying to remember mechanics and trying not to die, i usually end up forgetting to hit Iron Jaws or playing the next song or fat fingering Straight Shot when i don't need to, especially with the increased duration.

Speaking of the Endless Summer isle, it took me until today to notice that your character can't actually go entirely barefoot? At least Hyur midlander are wearing like sandals or something if you take your boots off. Also would now be a good time to try and leveling Fishing/Culinarian since the fish are in high demand? Don't know much about how the fishing works in this game so i assume you could just fish off the water of the Isle itself and charge for 7 bits of fish.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do the exact opposite of this. Rapid Fire instead, Split shot instead, load ammo after overheat. (Because Hot Shot is 60 seconds now.)

edit: gently caress, should have reloaded (the page).

Yes right, I got those backwards. It was off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also pop sprint before mindjack tethers vines. Don't use sprint in the post-zoo mindjack though.