Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I haven't seen Lady Ghostbusters but based off the stuff shown in the HitB and Plinkett reviews, I'm going to guess that anyone who legit thought that poo poo was funny probably also thinks that Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are the finest television comedies ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
"You cant do improv in sci fi!"

Good to see Mike has conveniently forgotten about Patton oswalts improv performance in Space Cop............ And how it was the only good part of that.... Film ?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

There was a joke?

Yeah it wasn't the suffering of racial minorities. It was that the Aldridges were terrible people, starting with their old-timey racism and culminating in one of them murdering the staff and then the patriarch locking her in the basement until she died.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, I think he has a good point about not improv-ing sci-fi. You can improv around material about relationships because you can draw on your own experiences.

i don't think that part was well-argued, half the review was just saying the original gb was mostly an entrepreneur thing of some schmoes who were running up debt on their get-rich-quick scheme who were all individually well-developed, real people with relationships with other characters and that the original didn't actually bring up too much science or try to explain anything

sounds to me like that's the sort of thing you totally improv! it's kind of funny mike didn't know how much improv the original had so just he assumed it was all script so he could say you don't improv sc-fi

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I would love to see Mike and crew make a low key, sarcastic, tightly written Sci fi comedy.... I think they would really excel at it. But I think Mike is too insecure (especially as someone who known as a movie basher) to make a sincere effort. Everything he does has that whole "eh.... Low effort" wink wink it's so lovely and THAT'S the joke!

It just feels like a cop out.

Imagine a space cop that's played more straight. More subtle. Less goofy accents and falling down jokes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
these guys have no talent at moviemaking.

theyre a bunch of 30-40 year old losers who couldnt make it in any sort of movie related business, instead taking jobs as construction workers and wedding filmers. Fortunately they got their lucky break on youtube, bashing poo poo moopies

they should not make movies

it was never their destiny

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I feel It's like Mike was saying that its harder to improvise a comedy sci fi moreso than him saying it wasn't possible.

Much like Mike I am not gonna bother to go back and check the script.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it wasn't the suffering of racial minorities. It was that the Aldridges were terrible people, starting with their old-timey racism and culminating in one of them murdering the staff and then the patriarch locking her in the basement until she died.
It's completely irrelevant to the rest of the film and just wastes time at the very start of this terrible movie, was their point.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do you guys believe in ghosts?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

reignofevil posted:

I feel It's like Mike was saying that its harder to improvise a comedy sci fi moreso than him saying it wasn't possible.

Much like Mike I am not gonna bother to go back and check the script.
This is what he said:
"The movie's fatal flaw is that it's an overstuffed turkey. You can overstuff a Judd Apatow style ad-libbed comedy but a science fiction based comedy needs to be precise. Just like science itself."

To be fair he says the movie being overstuffed is the issue, not ad-libbing. But I take it to mean "overstuffed with ad-libbing" otherwise it makes no sense. Either way, I don't buy that you can't make an overstuffed and/or adlibbed sci fi movie because "science has to be precise!" I think his problem is ad-libbing tends to make movies silly, and he's ok with Judd Apatow movies being silly but not Ghostbusters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oben posted:

It's completely irrelevant to the rest of the film and just wastes time at the very start of this terrible movie, was their point.

His point is it goes on too long for something non-essential, which is basically the same overarching complaint for most of the film. It's one of the funnier scenes of the film though as long as you're not taking it as a series of racist jokes.

It's not completely irrelevant as it sets up the first haunting they go too. It's weird he says the Aldridge lady doesn't show up again until the end, when she shows up like two scenes later as the ghost that barfs on Kristen Wiig.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I think a big problem here is that the ad-libbing resulted in extremely unfunny queef jokes

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
im the only man on the planet who liked space cop

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

im the only man on the planet who liked space cop

Seek help

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

We Know Catheters posted:

gently caress off. 🙊

Nah.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Zzulu posted:

Do you guys believe in ghosts?

No. They don't exist like Jesus.

👍😛😘

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ghostbusters 2016 is only really worth talking about in reference to how insanely mad people got online about it for whatever reasons.

For me it fell into the same pit as Rogue One, The Force Awakens, etc where it was amnesia in film form because I was for better or worse engaged for the entirety of all those movies and then the instant I left the theater and threw my popcorn bucket away I had forgotten literally 90% of what happened

GB2016 was bad but it was ephemeral; it just evaporated from my brain when I stopped watching it. The new Star Wars stuff was good if I can recall how I felt about it, but I couldn't tell you the name of any character in Rogue One with a gun to my head.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fabricated posted:

The new Star Wars stuff was good if I can recall how I felt about it, but I couldn't tell you the name of any character in Rogue One with a gun to my head.

What about Dort Vador.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What was Rich's line? "It's like brain death but with popcorn?"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In Re:View Jay, I think, mentioned that there was almost no impov in the original film. The script was just insanely good. You loving idiots. You can't improv anything on that level.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The review is hilarious. I laughed a lot.

I did not laugh when I saw GB2016 though :reject:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The scene with Jack and Rich out of nowhere was great and made me laugh unlike GB16

Improv can be fine but it seems like there was no other plan for GB16 other than "ehhhhh let the actors write the jokes for me in real time and find it in editing"

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

And it's an improv movie. I hate improv in movies, but they are a thing.

I like improv-heavy comedies. Ghostbusters is a very bad improv-heavy comedy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fabricated posted:

The new Star Wars stuff was good if I can recall how I felt about it, but I couldn't tell you the name of any character in Rogue One with a gun to my head.

I was going to argue with you on that point, but then I realized I couldn't fully remember the name of the main character. I almost mentally called her Leland Orser.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

mike put the two scenes from gb that made me laugh in the review (the mayor reacting to being called the mayor from jaws and a scene with thor being dumb) and for one second i was like maybe the movie wasnt as bad as i remember. but then he put all the other scenes in the review and i remembered that i had been just looking at my phone for the last half hour of the film.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Improv works when the actors have a good understanding of their characters and have the freedom to ad lib a bit, but are still constrained by the plot..... It doesn't work when everyone seems to just be trying to out "random waaaacky" each other

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

mike put the two scenes from gb that made me laugh in the review (the mayor reacting to being called the mayor from jaws and a scene with thor being dumb) and for one second i was like maybe the movie wasnt as bad as i remember. but then he put all the other scenes in the review and i remembered that i had been just looking at my phone for the last half hour of the film.

Same here. Mike's review actually kinda made we want to watch this movie. A lot of the scenes looked legitimately funny. The dialogue in the subway tunnel got a chuckle out if me "you don't expect the urine smell" "yeeeaaaahh.... That's not really gonna get any better" just seemed well delivered and natural. But I guess that kind of stuff is better in small doses..... Two hours of non stop "witty" banter must be tiring

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

while i really love the original ghostbusters, which really does get better the closer you look at it, i don't really feel injured by the remake's existence and thus don't really feel like its necessary for plinketting, which is at its best a intensive lengthy cathartic treatment for deep scar tissue.

the matrix sequels, on the other hand

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I... can't think of a movie that really made me laugh that was released recently. Might be that my soul is now a pitch-black ball of hate, might be that I don't go out of my way to watch "comedies" any more, or it might be that the majority of them have kinda sucked for a long time. Probably some combination but I feel like it's mostly on me for just not seeking out that kind of movie very often

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I... can't think of a movie that really made me laugh that was released recently. Might be that my soul is now a pitch-black ball of hate, might be that I don't go out of my way to watch "comedies" any more, or it might be that the majority of them have kinda sucked for a long time. Probably some combination but I feel like it's mostly on me for just not seeking out that kind of movie very often

yo spiderman homecoming is a straight up comedy and excellent

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Last movie I laughed at was team america: world police, watched by myself in a nearly empty theater in abilene TX on a Tuesday afternoon. It was also the last time I felt true joy of any kind.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is this Joss Whedons fault?
If you had a time machine who would you stop?

Hitler or Whedon?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Gildiss posted:

Hitler or Whedon?

what id do is go back in time to kill whedon's mother instead. then id set up an app that will eventually become skynet and turn my body into nano robots for some reason but even if i am stopped judgement day (the release of gb 2016) would happen anyway

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The scene with Jack and Rich out of nowhere was great and made me laugh unlike GB16

Improv can be fine but it seems like there was no other plan for GB16 other than "ehhhhh let the actors write the jokes for me in real time and find it in editing"

I'm just watching all of the Ghostbusters 2016 clips on the movieclips youtube channel and whoever edited this movie should be shot. You can't just edit a $100 million sfx extravaganza like that. Along with the invasion of hack writers and hack directors comes the hack editors. People who are good at television should stay in television.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Monkey Fracas posted:

You know, I got to thinking about this and the last movie I can remember that made me laugh out loud (lol as they say) was What We Do in the Shadows, and that was only a few scenes. The latest comedy I would consider genuinely great is In Bruges from 9 years ago. Either my sense of humor is really picky or comedies are in a sorry state these days.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

yo spiderman homecoming is a straight up comedy and excellent

yeah was meaning to check that out; seems a little different than the million other loving superhero movies

Dmitri-9 posted:

I'm just watching all of the Ghostbusters 2016 clips on the movieclips youtube channel and whoever edited this movie should be shot. You can't just edit a $100 million sfx extravaganza like that. Along with the invasion of hack writers and hack directors comes the hack editors. People who are good at television should stay in television.

Like this is what kills me- how much did the SFX stuff cost in this film? Would maybe sacrificing 10% of the budget of that and hiring a loving competent editor and a few script doctors or god forbid actually good writers be that big of a sacrifice in the bang-zoom-pretty-colors department?

I dunno maybe that's really expensive/difficult or something

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gildiss posted:

Hitler or Whedon?

It's not Whedon's fault, it's every other hack who tries to do his humor but sucks at it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be near as mad at GB16 if not for the absolutely cynical weird astroturf feminism promotional campaign they ran to sell the movie to people

beyond that I kept catching these little moments in the press footage where the actors/other people look like they're going to throw up for like a half second when they're forced to go "yeah, the movie's... great...I love it" lol

The only one who looks halfway comfortable shilling for this trash is professional conman Paul Feig

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

New Concept Hole posted:

It's amazing how terrible this movie is whenever they just show the movie, that it almost makes the review unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
They didn't even bring up that Melissa McCarthy screams all of her lines in the review.

• Locked thread