Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They are cool for some stuff, like my mom's thinking of getting one to do flyovers of her farmland to spot stuff, but yea spying on people and generally being a tit isn't a good thing. They do give us the aeriel version of dashcam vids though, so that's cool.
Be aware that you need to register it and get a license if you are in the US and get one above .55 lbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Yeah, there's a lot of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching like this, but it's all hilariously disingenuous because it has to pretend that the memo only comprised stuff the law protects. There's a whole huge :biotruths: section, and that isn't protected speech and absolutely creates a hostile work environment.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
If you like that Mr Bones video, you'll loving love Esteban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

I'm pretty sure he's in that video (and the farmer john video already linked) and the rest of his work is fantastic. People take second life so loving seriously and its hilarious to watch him rev these people up over nothing.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Would a defence of creating hostile work environment be a rebuttal?

Nope, because that has a specific legal definition, namely, that the hostile conduct in question has to be both severe and pervasive and that enduring it is a condition of continued employment. A dude posting some manifesto with a bunch of references that seems to genuinely have been intended to provoke discussion doesn't remotely qualify. I've actually read the thing he posted and it's references (unlike the misleadingly edited version on gizmodo and some other places) and it is about the most milquetoast white bread criticism of Google's practices you could find.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also, here are some real dumb dogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMhw5MFYU0s

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ElGroucho posted:

I loving hate drones, and I can't believe humanity has given up on privacy to such an extent.

WORds spoken by a man with something to hide

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

WORds spoken by a man with something to hide

more like oldstainless amirite??

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Weatherman posted:

More like oldgerundless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

More like oldgerundless

Completely misread that as oldgrundleless. A complete grundlectomy is a hell of a procedure.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

grumplestiltzkin posted:

If you like that Mr Bones video, you'll loving love Esteban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

I'm pretty sure he's in that video (and the farmer john video already linked) and the rest of his work is fantastic. People take second life so loving seriously and its hilarious to watch him rev these people up over nothing.

The people in the second video were pretty cool about it and I thought it made it better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Be aware that you need to register it and get a license if you are in the US and get one above .55 lbs

The FAA overstepped their authority by requiring registration of recreational drones. They lost in court, badly.
You do not need to register hobby drones until they either win in an en banc review or get Congress to remove the section of law that forbids the FAA from regulating model aircraft.

I highly doubt the court would grant the FAA an en banc review: the decision is quite clear and calling in all 11 active judges to review it is not necessary.

"In short, the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act provides that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,” yet the FAA’s 2015 Registration Rule is a “rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.” Statutory interpretation does not get much simpler. The Registration Rule is unlawful as applied to model aircraft."

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/cadc/15-1495/15-1495-2017-05-19.html
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/19/technology/drone-registration-faa/index.html

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TopHatGenius posted:

Since the video game griefing thread is closed down and I can't think of anywhere else to put this, DanielFromSL just dropped an update and it is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ZrKehQ_xc

I thought this 27 minute video would wear out its welcome immediately but I was so, so wrong. Jesus.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Note that they did not destroy your boat.

Trespassing is not tantamount to espionage. There are millions of acres of military base you can completely inadvertently walk upon. Try to get into Area 51, or Pantex, yes, you'll attract the attention of very serious men with guns, but walking into Fort Indiantown Gap or some other 4th-tier guard facility isn't tantamount to espionage. Also note that the whole 4th amendment thing where the government can't just take or seize or destroy your property because it feels like it, even applies in cases of espionage.

There is also a difference in scale between drones and boats (and I am not even going to discuss post-U.S.S. Cole). Besides, if a 20+ million dollar plane has an accident leading to the death of a basically priceless human life, I don't think there would be any issue. Not that I think drones are bad, but they have an extremely high proportion of morons in their ownership group.

"Hey, man, hold this... I want to get a close shot of that Raptor..."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Given their issues with transparency, I would go so far as to say...

More like OldPaneless, amirite?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ugh its Troika posted:

Nope, because that has a specific legal definition, namely, that the hostile conduct in question has to be both severe and pervasive and that enduring it is a condition of continued employment. A dude posting some manifesto with a bunch of references that seems to genuinely have been intended to provoke discussion doesn't remotely qualify. I've actually read the thing he posted and it's references (unlike the misleadingly edited version on gizmodo and some other places) and it is about the most milquetoast white bread criticism of Google's practices you could find.

Lol so that's your game

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

quote:

Is the pig still in the right for protecting her child given that the man grabbing it was autistic?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Is the pig still in the right for protecting her child given that the man grabbing it was autistic?

No it was obviously moving left very quickly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I hardly think they'll be using RPGs or SAMs to shoot down consumer drones.

Probably small arms so it's more likely they'll kill a random pedestrian a half mile away.

e: they should use falcons, I know there are some schad clips in the thread of raptors doing exactly this.

lmao small arms & falcons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

An apple cider marinade made Angry Orchard cider, smoked paprika, red chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, cayenne pepper, and honey would make that pig taste delicious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao small arms & falcons.

What if the drone was flying in the rain though?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

An apple cider marinade made Angry Orchard cider, smoked paprika, red chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, cayenne pepper, and honey would make that pig taste delicious.

Haven't ACTUALLY tasted it other than in my head, but seconded. Especially if you used the pork butt.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They are cool for some stuff, like my mom's thinking of getting one to do flyovers of her farmland to spot stuff, but yea spying on people and generally being a tit isn't a good thing. They do give us the aeriel version of dashcam vids though, so that's cool.

We have one on a mine that flies out every day at 10am, does a photogrammetric survey of the ore stockpiles with visual and thermal IR cameras, flies back to its charging station and then uploads the images to a server. That server then spits out a 2cm resolution 3D model of the stockpile and a condition report on any thermal decomposition of pyrite.

It's basically doing the full time work of four employees. So, uhh, I guess the schadenfreude is on the basically-unskilled-labourers, whose jobs were robbed by a robot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What if the drone was flying in the rain though?

"You go to war with the army you have, not the one you want." :patriot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Valve just gave a bunch of nerds blueballs

https://twitter.com/nickisnixed/status/895091539025698816

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

Even if you are the world's rightest boy I think it's hard to see someone beating Google in court. Though I guess there's lots of times you hear about settlements before things reach a hearing.

I'm not saying DaMore is the world's rightest boy but plenty of time people who are totally in the right are just ground through the legal system by a big company who can keep things stalling until they have no money for legal fees.

California worker protections are some of the most stringent, even political views in the workplace are protected and not a fireable offense.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Stop spreading misinformation, this was overturned by court order earlier this year.

http://www.popsci.com/court-overturns-rule-requiring-drone-registration

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A good ep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYSFVp4AZuI

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

What were they disappointed over? Making a children's card game into a video game or another year without a Half Life sequel?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Valve announced a game and it wasn't Half Life Three.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
If any company announced a game that managed to be both a hearthstone AND moba cash-in, I'd be disgusted enough. That it's Valve doing the announcing is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

What were they disappointed over? Making a children's card game into a video game or another year without a Half Life sequel?

Just that valve announcing a new game turned into a fart in the wind. For just a second it felt like a reveal for a new proper game :cheeky:

I love how you can hear the moment when it dawns on everybody "wait... dota card game.... AWWWWWW"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

You.

Really.

Needed.

To.

Ask.

That?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

People have been talking about a sequel to Half Life for literally half my life

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It wouldn't be so bad if episode 2 didn't end on such a cliffhanger

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ugh its Troika posted:

Except that management literally cannot assign him anyone to work with after he posted that poo poo. No woman will want to work with him, and many men will be disgusted enough to want to punch him in the face. (Per someone who would have otherwise probably been one of the people forced to deal with this idiot.)

He punked himself, dood.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The schaden is all of you old farts who still desperately cling to the dream of a sequel to Half-Life. You clung to the dream of Duke Nukem Forever getting finished, too, and look what that got you when it finally happened. The sooner you let it go and move on with your lives, the happier you'll all be.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/8ntywj3.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samizdata posted:

You.

Really.

Needed.