Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The only time I really liked Diaz was his first appearance on getting Doug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Doug benson

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
No I agree, his show is really bad. That one episode was pretty great though

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Doug Benson's weed stage show was only good for me for introducing me to petey Holmes. Who is this obnoxious guy sucking up all the attention? And then I listened to him for ages who introduced me to ram dass and now I just click Alan watts on YouTube while cooking dope curries peace

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
doug benson is an extremely sensitive 58 year old comedian who started smoking weed when he was 45 and now defines his life by it

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I enjoy Doug Loves Movies, but basically only when he has someone like Pete Holmes or Bert Kreischer. Mainly because I take great joy in listening to Doug struggle to keep control of the show, despite the fact that whatever stupid thing Pete/Bert is yelling joking about is usually more enjoyable than whatever dumb game Doug wants to play.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it is funny when he has cross eyed lil baby tantrums at people not doing whatever unfunny poo poo he insists on

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Skip My Posts posted:

doug benson is an extremely sensitive 58 year old comedian who started smoking weed when he was 45 and now defines his life by it

Oh so he's like Kevin Smith? Those two are better ammo for criminalizing weed than anything else in history.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

XIII posted:

I enjoy Doug Loves Movies, but basically only when he has someone like Pete Holmes or Bert Kreischer. Mainly because I take great joy in listening to Doug struggle to keep control of the show, despite the fact that whatever stupid thing Pete/Bert is yelling joking about is usually more enjoyable than whatever dumb game Doug wants to play.

I still listen to the one with bert kreischer going crazy about an oceans eleven joke. Doug tries to shut him down and he just keeps scream-laughing like an overexcited pug

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
joe has cultivated his audience so well that now 99% of the comments on the jon ronson video are just alt right talking points and people calling jon a jewish pedophille. great job joe :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shwRkoAkPyY

seriously just read this poo poo. (ronson is great tho)

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I'm hoping Tom shows up as DJ Dadmouth for at least a little bit of the show.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pretty amazing there's almost a thousand episodes of JRE. Most podcasts struggle to do one hour per week, but he's managed an average of something like 2 episodes a week for years, most going over an hour by decent stretch. Quality is not always super high, but I can admire the dedication and effort.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I respect him a lot for all the work he's put into his podcast- you can always tell Joe takes it very seriously and also really enjoys doing it.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Lovechop posted:

joe has cultivated his audience so well that now 99% of the comments on the jon ronson video are just alt right talking points and people calling jon a jewish pedophille. great job joe :)

Only 15% of Rogan's entire audience disliked the Jon Ronson episode for whatever reason. Which is exactly the same percentage of people who disliked the episode from the day before with Dom D'Agostino.

Plenty of other JRE episodes have a similar amount of dislikes BTW. Some retarded vocal minority in the comments isn't representive of anything.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

itsnice2bnice posted:

Only 15% of Rogan's entire audience disliked the Jon Ronson episode for whatever reason. Which is exactly the same percentage of people who disliked the episode from the day before with Dom D'Agostino.

Plenty of other JRE episodes have a similar amount of dislikes BTW. Some retarded vocal minority in the comments isn't representive of anything.

tbh i'm just getting upset because jon is my boy. it was a great episode though, anyway.

normally rogan chatting about conspiracy stuff is kind of annoying but in this one they were mostly just making fun of them and doing goofy alex jones impressions. his brain was totally melted at points though.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I like Jon Ronson as well, his book about online hate mobs was really interesting.

The online hate mob in the comments from this particular episode is probably a brigade from 4chan's /pol/ or some other cesspit.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Make sure to catch today's podcast. Joe has a Paleo Doctor PhD on.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The Jon Ronson episode is good.

First JRE I have sat all the way through in a long time.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

itsnice2bnice posted:

Some retarded vocal minority in the comments isn't representive of anything.

I'm not sure if you can convince me that it was normal for the JRE to have a comment section full of people mad at the guest for being a "zionist cuck" a year ago.

People mad about strontium-90 in Ovaltine being put into needles that doctors inject into Americans while they sleep? That was always normal. Now I miss those guys.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 10, 2017

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

pauly shore is all kinds of redban sweaty
wow

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm not sure if you can convince me that it was normal for the JRE to have a comment section full of people mad at the guest for being a "zionist cuck" a year ago.

People mad about strontium-90 in Ovaltine being put into needles that doctors inject into Americans while they sleep? That was always normal. Now I miss those guys.

I never said or implied that the anti-semitic remarks in the comments are normal.

IMO there's simply nothing to base the idea on that the anti-semitic comments are representative of Rogan's audience. People didn't dislike the Jon Ronson episode in a significant greater number than other episodes and the highest rated comments on that video are explicitly calling out the hateful & toxic comments.

The idea that Rogan is cultivating an audience of anti-semites just seems pretty absurd to me, especially considering the fact that he's had something like five Jewish guests on in the past four weeks.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Joe Rogan's comments are reserved for people giving guest suggestions and all of those suggestions getting 800 upvotes each.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I think this thread is probably the only JRE discussion anywhere on the entire internet that isn't a massive alt-right circle wank.

Whatever the date was where Joe made a stickied post on his own forum to stop being outwardly racist is probably the turning point.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Joe was kinda on the forefront of the masculinity reclamation movement or whatever you want to call it, which eventually got mixed in with the alt right. He provides the perfect large platform for the alt right to get their message out since he doesn't really fight back at all. Since he doesn't put on anyone really from a left perspective I gotta assume he at least agrees with some of their poo poo (being mad at teen girls posting online and being able to call people fags)

The Jon Ronson ep was good tho

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

With the current political climate tbh I'd be very surprised if the reason for lack of more progressive guests is that they seem mostly unwilling to talk to people on the other side if it's not a heavy controlled situation. Of all the people I follow on Twitter the most sane progressive ones seem scared of compromising the appearance of purity within their ranks while the sane other side want to talk more. I wish Laci Green would come on though, she's def been a force for good lately even tho lots on her side have ostracized her for the crime of having conversations :/

I will say my opinion above only applies to internet people. I haven't met any progressive irl who has chewed my head off for my political opinions, people are just better in person. Which is why I wish they'd go on JRE and places like it more. This post might suck cause I'm 8 hours into a trainride and its almost over in a minute and I'm trying to finish quick lol have a good one

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i liked the episode with the old jewish lady today

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

I wish Laci Green would come on though, she's def been a force for good lately even tho lots on her side have ostracized her for the crime of having conversations :/
eh its more she dated (dating?)/normalized a dude who literally retweeted nazi/white supremacist poo poo. and he likes to make racist and nazi statements 'ironically'.
condoning nazism and racism is not ok yo!

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

Joe Rogan's comments are reserved for people giving guest suggestions and all of those suggestions getting 800 upvotes each.

Feel free to look at the actual comments on that episode instead of just imagining things.

CortezFantastic posted:

He provides the perfect large platform for the alt right to get their message out since he doesn't really fight back at all.

Why are you supporting someone who you believe is providing the perfect platform for actual neo-nazis?

CortezFantastic posted:

Since he doesn't put on anyone really from a left perspective I gotta assume he at least agrees with some of their poo poo (being mad at teen girls posting online and being able to call people fags)

If only Joe Rogan had a podcast where he talked endlessly about what he believes in WRT these kind of topics, then you wouldn't have to assume anything.

This is ultimately just more of the same complaining and vague insinuations that anyone who isn't 100% on board with every aspect of progressive internet politics is an alt-right neo-nazi who hates women, homosexuals and everyone who isn't exactly like them.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

itsnice2bnice posted:

Feel free to look at the actual comments on that episode instead of just imagining things.

lol

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

itsnice2bnice posted:

Why are you supporting someone who you believe is providing the perfect platform for actual neo-nazis?

If only Joe Rogan had a podcast where he talked endlessly about what he believes in WRT these kind of topics, then you wouldn't have to assume anything.

This is ultimately just more of the same complaining and vague insinuations that anyone who isn't 100% on board with every aspect of progressive internet politics is an alt-right neo-nazi who hates women, homosexuals and everyone who isn't exactly like them.

If Joe Rogan is the "perfect platform" for the alt-right then I wonder what are the Stormfront message boards, or any of the results that come up when you google "alt-right podcast" are.

Joe could be all about universal healthcare, guaranteed income and every other, generally agreed upon progressive tenet but the moment he makes a minor deviation from that standard someone will call him alt-right. Just like the adage "If you cut down a hundred trees, you're not a lumberjack. But if you suck one dick, you're a cocksucker."

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

eh its more she dated (dating?)/normalized a dude who literally retweeted nazi/white supremacist poo poo. and he likes to make racist and nazi statements 'ironically'.
condoning nazism and racism is not ok yo!

I think it's very condescending and hypocritical that so-called feminists are taking huge shits on a feminists with a large body of work spanning years for who she's dating and it is exactly what I was speaking to when I criticized the obsession with thought-purity I mentioned while scrambling for my bags last night. When you put ironically in quotes like that is it because you think the puerto rican dude she's dating is actually a secret nazi cause I've watched his stuff and I don't get this impression at all.

I think a big stupid issue with internet progressives these days is that any any edgy jokes that is critical of the left gets them immediately labeled nazis/white supremacists, even if the person isn't white. I guess the logic is "I'm for diversity and representation so if this person makes fun of my arguments they must be anti-diversity & anti-representation"?

Top often I see Poc/woman get called internalized whatever for wandering off the plantation, etc. I've had rather strong feelings on this ever since I started having family members of get called house niggers by BLM types for the crime of being black conservatives. I just wish people would talk to each other more without all the hyperbolic cuck/nazi/alt right name calling I see now which is something extremely positive I've gotten jre, that he'll talk and listen to just about anyone no matter who crazy :shobon:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Get out of here with that kind of normal person talk.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

beep by grandpa posted:

I just wish people would talk to each other more without all the hyperbolic cuck/nazi/alt right name calling I see now which is something extremely positive I've gotten jre, that he'll talk and listen to just about anyone no matter who crazy :shobon:

for this kinda stuff there's nothing that is ever going to beat (for me at least) patrice o'neal and anthony cumia shooting the poo poo with eachother on O&A.

ant's politics are insanely lovely to me but they were both incredibly funny dudes who would talk in a really open way that you pretty much never see anymore. also they could laugh at themselves and have fun.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

i liked the episode with the old jewish lady today

n i c e

always be closing posted:

Get out of here with that kind of normal person talk.

momos gonna mo mo

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

itsnice2bnice posted:

The idea that Rogan is cultivating an audience of anti-semites just seems pretty absurd to me, especially considering the fact that he's had something like five Jewish guests on in the past four weeks.

I don't know if he specifically and intentionally cultivated the audience but he did have a long stretch where he turned his podcast into a soapbox for people who would definitely attract that audience.

Whether Joe had completely thought that through at the time is open to debate and I actually think he probably hadn't (ie: he didn't actually intend for his show to become really popular with nazis and instead thought he was fighting some sort of actual threat to comedy or whatever) but that's just my opinion.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I used to be a woke sjw snowflake until Jeremy Scahill got scared off Bill Maher by Milo, now I think it's a bad thing when extremely serious and important journalists permit their work to be cancelled out by a comedic internet personality because he said that he doesn't trust lesbians and called the dapl protestors nerds. So I guess I've taken the red pill and embraced the cuck or whatever. Thanks Joe Rogan.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

wah wah wah
i read youtube comments
wah wah wah
i care who else likes what i like
wah wah wah

one thousand episodes
go gently caress your mother

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Whoa I had no idea you were supposed to judge content by the kind of youtube comments that it draws.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

"I like x but the community/comment section is cancer"

-literally every goons hot take on everything that has ever existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

-literally every goons hot take on everything that has ever existed

"It's not the band I hate, it's their fans" has been a thing since people started public performance.

There was probably some caveman banging on a rock somewhere and Thag really thought Grog was onto something with the rock banging thing but the fact that Frik and Frok were also into it ruined everything.