Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if IG gets embedded, but this is the Czech minister of local development getting in the face of Valentino Rossi just before his MotoGP start to get a selfie:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXfFhTplkNw/

This is pretty tame in the era of Trump but it did make the news so I guess this passes for scandal

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't tried insulting John Paul II in a group of Poles, but you are welcome to give it a shot and let me know what happens.
I was visiting in Warsaw around the time he died and me and a bunch of other people were supposed to go to some big party one night. We're all drinking and having a good time when one of them says that there probably won't be a party because the Pope had died. I assumed the guy was joking and started laughing. That was not exactly appreciated.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Hedenius posted:

I was visiting in Warsaw around the time he died and me and a bunch of other people were supposed to go to some big party one night. We're all drinking and having a good time when one of them says that there probably won't be a party because the Pope had died. I assumed the guy was joking and started laughing. That was not exactly appreciated.

This country, in XXI century, institutes prohibition during papal visits.

Basically,

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 9, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I remember that during my visit, various monuments in Warsaw had information stands in front of them, that told you that the site was visited by JP2 with some additional info on the visit... but there were no stands or info on the monument itself (or very little).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paul Manafort just got raided by the FBI.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Actually last month, people have just been unusually tight lipped.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rincewinds posted:

Actually last month, people have just been unusually tight lipped.

Trump wasn't that day. He was rage tweeting in high form that day. Now we know why.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/895301023400693760

Manafort needs to roast bigly.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Right now its probably muslims but the real answer is this:

RedSnapper posted:

Jews, Russians, Germans, French, Brits, Spaniards, Italians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Greeks, Albanians, Swedes, Norwegians, Arabs (the term includes all nonwhite Muslims), Africans (they're all the same anyway), Asians (same as Africans), Americans (the USA kind), Americans (all other kinds) and the Polish.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Czech police has asked the Parliament to withdraw the immunity from the oligarch, ex-finance minister and probably the next PM Andrej Babiš on account of funneling EU money for small firm development to his own bigass companies. Which he's been known to do for years but hey, elections in three months. The sad part is he's still the most popular politician in the country.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Independent British journalist Graham Phillips (38) recently got engaged

https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/895666551055015936

Turns out she only just turned 17 this month, the dirty git

https://twitter.com/RuslanLeviev/status/895730658366046212

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

So British. :allears:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Are these the Crimean Wives I've heard so much about?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So... anyone know if that's a crime under Ukrainian or UK laws?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would seem that since nobody recognizes Lugansk, it is neither legal, nor illegal, it is simply a non-entity. It's like getting married by your stoner shaman buddy in a Wiccan ceremony.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
I am totally shocked that the sex-pest hooker blogger is a creep.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Looks like he's waiting a year when she's 18. Poor girl, hope she wises up before the wedding happens.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
loving that creep might be worth it to escape Lugansk though.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

"independent" "journalist"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

People that young use Odnoklassniki?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

People that young use Odnoklassniki?

As opposed to VK, or Facebook?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

As opposed to VK, or Facebook?
Yes. Odnoklassniki is meant to be a get together social network for Gen X soviets.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

That young lady has a really long hand and I can't stop seeing it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hedenius posted:

I was in a wedding party 40km from Warsaw when John Paul II died, party moved on as normal. I've got some older deeply religious folk in the family, and they just shrugged and said it doesn't matter.
I've also organized a party on 10th of april 2010 (the day the duck fell from the sky), and maybe 1 in 4 people didn't come because reasons. I've also had shitload of unexpected guests because big organized events were cancelled. poo poo happens but life goes on, and living in (nominally) 95% roman catholic country means noone really gives a gently caress.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

I've also organized a party on 10th of april 2010 (the day the duck fell from the sky), and maybe 1 in 4 people didn't come because reasons.
Seriously? I mean, turning it into a national holiday is obviously Kaczynski's wet dream but has it gone that far?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Buddy had a super fancy prom equivalent (they ponied up to rent a manor or something) scheduled for the week after pope died and they chose to cancel it last minute, losing the money, 'cause they were a bunch of conservative pussies.

The other things I remember from that period:
- Football hooligans calling a truce to honor the pope, which lasted all of three days
- The cool crowd getting really, really fedoraesque annoying with the "I didn't cry for the pope" catchphrase

At least we got some dank papal memes in the following years.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

alex314 posted:

I was in a wedding party 40km from Warsaw when John Paul II died, party moved on as normal. I've got some older deeply religious folk in the family, and they just shrugged and said it doesn't matter.
I've also organized a party on 10th of april 2010 (the day the duck fell from the sky), and maybe 1 in 4 people didn't come because reasons. I've also had shitload of unexpected guests because big organized events were cancelled. poo poo happens but life goes on, and living in (nominally) 95% roman catholic country means noone really gives a gently caress.

It is probably because nationalism and variuos nation related philosophical ideas are more powerful than religion. And we see religion more because it has a voice in a community.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

What are the biggest things that seem to trigger Polish folk these days?

I once severely offended a Polish history professor by asking him about Polish collaborators during the Holocaust.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I once severely offended a Polish history professor by asking him about Polish collaborators during the Holocaust.

That's a good one, but regrettably it got mainstream enough in the past few years there's a good chance of peeps willing to talk about it to spite the right-wingers.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

For a certain crowd I've found that calling the Cursed Soldiers (partisans who refused to lay down their weapons after WWII and continued trying to violently oppose the communist government) a bunch of thugs and child killers really does the trick. Just prepare to be swung on.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

For a certain crowd I've found that calling the Cursed Soldiers (partisans who refused to lay down their weapons after WWII and continued trying to violently oppose the communist government) a bunch of thugs and child killers really does the trick. Just prepare to be swung on.

I once saw a talk with Aleksander Tarnawski, the last living Cichociemny: UK-trained spec ops forces parachuted into German-occupied Poland to train locals. He said pretty much "The war was over, life goes on. We didn't win, but didn't lose too. Allies won't come, continued fighting is pointless waste of life. Only people that had nothing to lose or were afraid of answering for their crimes were left".

That's why right-wing assholes in Poland pick heroes that are all dead. They've tried with Warsaw Uprising survivors: many said it's not the kind of Poland they've fought.

So... maybe some ways to piss other nations in that region? That thread being polish-centric gets boring. Do I get to say windows in my house doesn't open all the way to piss Czechs?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

Do I get to say windows in my house doesn't open all the way to piss Czechs?
A pretty good way to piss off a typical Czech is asking whether he's Russian.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

anilEhilated posted:

have you tried asking them to czech themselves before they wreck themselves

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

alex314 posted:

So... maybe some ways to piss other nations in that region? That thread being polish-centric gets boring. Do I get to say windows in my house doesn't open all the way to piss Czechs?

Anyone too fat to fit through the window will be trimmed until they do.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Local elections in Estonia are just two months away. Wall of text incoming.

The former leading coalition party, the Reform party (RE) that was in the government for 17 years has been licking their wounds. But now the scandal around the failed development of the system for social security insurance (or what the gently caress ever) is casting them in a bad light (a worse light than a previous bad light), because it was our former PM (back then minister of social affairs) who started the project even before the analyses for it were ready. Just so he could announce something for political gain before previous local elections.

After last state elections and reshuffling of the cabinet they generously handed the post to IRL party and therefore to a person whose competence is questionable and he didn't have the balls to stop the project when things started looking sour. Millions have been spent with nothing to show for. IRL had quite the support during last local and state elections, but it started to decline, from 20% in 2013 to around 6-7% today. That's quite a feat! So to improve things they replaced bad people with even worse people and declined even more.

Their votes have gone to two parties:
Estonian Free Party (EVA) - I support them somewhat for lack of alternatives but I can't even say for sure what they stand for. I would say nationalist but in a positive way. As for local elections, they are creating or joining various local "electoral (election?) blocs" locally. But more of that below. Support at 7% today, used to be even 16% at one point. Might have something to do with being less in spotlight with those election blocs. And this brings me to .....

...the conservative racists (EKRE) - their supporters swarm news sites' comments sections every time the news has anything to do with 1) politics 2) not white people 3) anything. This alienates them to me even more. I've known one their candidate in real life, an old geezer. He knew a lot of conspiracy theories facts. Now that I read their program for the local elections, among other things this phrase caught my eye: "establish an additional charge for teaching Estonian language to non-Estonians". Also "homo- and multiculti propaganda out of kindergartens and schools". Ok. I'm sure they've heard plenty of anecdotes about that. Support at 16% today. They have one their own biased propaganda publication that they can use to call mainstream media biased.

The social democrats (SDE) - becoming more unpopular with the increase of alcohol excises (people will just get their alcohol from Latvia and the state loses income), the addition of a sugar tax on sugary drinks, and not even addressing the typical eastern european thing of life being lovely outside bigger cities, especially for handicapped people. In the eyes of the conservative racists they are literally the great satan. Nowadays their chairman is more occupied with using inflammatory rhetoric when communicating with the conservative racists. Happens both ways.

Then the centre party (KE). All those years in the opposition and it turns out they are poo poo once leading the coalition. They became eligible for being in coalition with other parties once their chairman was ousted and is standing on trial with corruption charges. I've talked about this guy before. Though now he no longer has a leg to stand on either. It was amputated. Some businessmen donated him a new bionic leg, but when in court he doesn't wear it because he needs to look weak and feeble. He doesn't take his blood pressure meds either so they could delay the trial by calling an ambulance.

Anyway, so when this guy was ousted, SDE and IRL threw RE under the bus and formed a new coalition with KE. Ministers of the center now manage to make some fabulous decisions and indecisions.

I'll describe one such decision. Spending 17 million EUR to fix the airport of Pärnu which, according to transport analysts, last when it was operational brought in 3000 passengers a year. This means the already slow and lovely railway (train = 2:27 hrs, bus = 1:50 hrs), which transported still 50 000 a year does not get anything and will have to stop operations in the interest of safety. And then get taken up. The rationale is that Rail Baltica will take care of the connection between Tallinn-Pärnu(-Riga) and county passengers would use local county buses to get around, which actually makes sense because 50 000 passengers a year using a two-carriage Stadler FLIRT trains is a huge waste for 7 villages with population of < 400, one village of 1000 people and in one case a village of whole 24 people. There is just this one small detail though. Rail Baltica would be at best operational 10 years from now. Which would make Pärnu airport irrelevant anyway because of proximity to Riga airport.

Then one electoral bloc that matters, as in - they are in Tallinn.
VTK - 'free citizen of Tallinn' - their aim is to make running a city a non-political job, also getting rid of current propaganda TV and newspaper excesses. I will vote for them. There are no viable alternatives for me. Their ideas are sound.

Holy poo poo. I just spent nearly two hours writing about this. Here's all their support ratings by month going back 10 years: http://www.emor.ee/erakondade-toetus/

Thank gently caress we have six parties, so it's harder for them to gently caress things up, as opposed to one big party loving things up unilaterally.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

anilEhilated posted:

Or point out how their leader claims there are no gay men in their country.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Or point out how their leader claims there are no gay men in their country.

Are you sure that was not Chechens?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think :thejoke: but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if he said that too at some point.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

I think :thejoke: but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if he said that too at some point.

That would take too much balls, he would let one of his Spokespersons say it instead.

(It being reasonably believable is why I asked :v:)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jonnypeh posted:

I'll describe one such decision. Spending 17 million EUR to fix the airport of Pärnu which, according to transport analysts, last when it was operational brought in 3000 passengers a year. This means the already slow and lovely railway (train = 2:27 hrs, bus = 1:50 hrs), which transported still 50 000 a year does not get anything and will have to stop operations in the interest of safety.

Rich people travel by plane; poor people travel by train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Xarn posted:

Are you sure that was not Chechens?

This reminds me so much of this scene from The Sopranos:
https://youtu.be/zsxthFO-HWs