Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I still don't get why there are so many people saying "I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan but I really don't like it when they do that crazy poo poo. Also I don't like any of the actors, plot lines, music and skip most scenes that are bad which is 99% of it!"

Why put so much effort in to something you essentially hate? It's ok to not like things.

Anyway. Things about ep13:

- The ring makes you go to the black lodge when you die. Phillip Jeffries wanted to return bad coop to the lodge.
- I'm starting to think there's more to the Audrey/Bad Coop/Richard theory based on Richards reaction to seeing bad coop on-screen.
- The reflection of Ed at the end was an obvious goof jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The main division is between Twin Peaks fans and Lynch fans. I feel like this series has brought a bit of that old romanticism back over time, but I can understand the series not being 100% satisfying for someone that was a Twin Peaks maniac. I'm more of a Lynch fan and from the first episode I was like "hahaha looks like I'm about to see some weird poo poo".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can we please go back to whether it was macaroni and cheese or corn? On second viewing I think it was mac and cheese.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

JBP posted:

The main division is between Twin Peaks fans and Lynch fans. I feel like this series has brought a bit of that old romanticism back over time, but I can understand the series not being 100% satisfying for someone that was a Twin Peaks maniac. I'm more of a Lynch fan and from the first episode I was like "hahaha looks like I'm about to see some weird poo poo".

I guess that makes sense.

btw I think you missed a golden opportunity for the auspol thread this month, could have been Twin Peaks themed.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

MonoAus posted:

I still don't get why there are so many people saying "I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan but I really don't like it when they do that crazy poo poo. Also I don't like any of the actors, plot lines, music and skip most scenes that are bad which is 99% of it!"

I don't think anyone is saying this. Some people are making complaints about certain scenes or perceived pacing issues, which other people (such as yourself apparently) seem to think means "I hate this and it sucks!". For the record I've been enjoying the third season a lot and it's the only current show on TV I'm watching, but do not think David Lynch is a media god who is incapable of making imperfect decisions

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'm Ed.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I wonder if Ike the spike and arm wrestling dude were related. They look alike. Two brothers, one big, one small

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Matt Zoller Seitz on Twitter posted:

"Man has control over the action alone, not the fruit of the action." Actual response by D Lynch to student Q about state of film biz. I love that a major American filmmaker exists who will casually quote Bhagavad Gita as part of shop talk and MEAN IT. Lynch's spirituality is, I suspect, the key to the way he tells stories, especially in projects made during the last 25 years. Lynch presents situations that you're supposed to watch, listen to and then meditate upon. Sometimes they take a while to unfold.

In many, many scenes where people complain that "nothing happened," moral dilemmas are presented, and characters confront truths. It makes me sad when people look at a show as sincerely concerned with the human spirit as TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN & say it's "trolling." American cinema is so completely divorced from even the vaguest IDEA of spiritual struggle that we barely know how to recognize it when a TV show or movie puts it right in front of us and points to it and grins and says, "Spiritual struggle happening here, check it out." That scene with Norma debating whether to use cheaper pie ingredients is about integrity versus profit, and having standards. Great swaths of the new TWIN PEAKS have been about corporate ethics. Sizemore's character feels shame over his lack of ethics. [This, more so than the overtly supernatural elements, confirm that TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN is a fantasy! Execs have consciences.]

This might sound weird, but to find an analog for what Lynch/Frost are doing here, you have to look to Bergman, Pasolini, Bresson. In that video I linked to at the start of this thread, Lynch says European art filmmakers have influenced him most. It shows. Reminds me of @NickPinkerton saying, of Malick's detractors, that they act like there's a whole wave of filmmakers out there working in a Malick-type mode at the Hollywood/mutliplex level, incessantly, when in reality it's just one guy. Malick, Lynch, J Gray, K Reichardt, PTA, Spike Lee & a few others are in there asking basic questions that many label "pretentious." Lynch/Frost's latest is as much theological/liturgical as it is cinematic. They are the country priests stopping by unannounced.

(Video mentioned earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL8pN9Cgu2k)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

kaworu posted:

First off, I feel like Lynch has actually been making something of a statement regarding the importance of eating healthy/organic/natural food, as opposed to eating processed and packaged crap you'd get from... I think you say, convenience store? That crap that's full of preservatives and super-processed *corn* syrup and so on.

Like, seriously. I always felt like Chantal constantly eating Cheetos (and giving them to Evil Coop and him liking them) is like, because cheetos (and the like) are just super-processed convenience-store corn. What could be a more perfect snack to a black lodge entity? So I feel like Lynch has established that evil Lodge entities can basically survive off eating crap like cheetos/funyuns/fritos/etc. And conversely, he generally ascribes coffee and cherry pie with this almost mystical power at this point.

And I felt like he ordered the scenes in last night's episode to underscore the point. First we have the scene with Dougie and Anthony, where BASICALLY Cherry Pie and Coffee save the day and prove to be just as sacred and incorruptible as Dougie himself. Immediately following this, we get a conversation between Shelly and Becky, where Becky bemoans that Steven has been missing for two days now, and she feels terrible, and so on. Becky tempts her with cherry pie with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on top, and Becky smiles. It's like THE PANACEA on this show, it seems like.

Then immediately after this we get the Norma/Walter scene, where he is trying to get her to use shittier and cheaper ingredients to widen the profit margin. Like he wants to take the heart and soul out of the diner while saying that all he wants to do is preserve the heart and soul of the diner. Plus the name-change thing.

I honestly think this is like... About as overtly political as Lynch gets, besides maybe Dr. Amp? But he's basically underscoring the same sort of points that Dr. Amp (it really is so much more fun calling him that than Dr. Jacoby) also talks about how processed food is poison and how all this crap is being forced on us by corporate industry. I honestly think these are like... literal things that Lynch believes. And I *kinda* agree, at least in the sense that my mother raised me with the axiom "you are what you eat" and as a result I've always stayed far far away from fast food and gas station food and whatnot, though I'm not a total snob I'll eat mcdonalds if I have to.

cheetos/fritos/funyuns are all CORN PRIODUCTS!!! L@@K

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

quote:

It makes me sad when people look at a show as sincerely concerned with the human spirit as TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN & say it's "trolling."

I agree with the main point he's trying to make, but I think its worth noting that trolling is often paradoxically sincere even though on the internet it is usually cloaked in a facade of nihilism. I think Lynch is clearly trolling us, but the ideas motivating the trolling are sincere. If the term "trolling" is getting in the way, another way of saying it is he's playing with and subverting our expectations.

kaworu posted:

I honestly think this is like... About as overtly political as Lynch gets, besides maybe Dr. Amp? But he's basically underscoring the same sort of points that Dr. Amp (it really is so much more fun calling him that than Dr. Jacoby) also talks about how processed food is poison and how all this crap is being forced on us by corporate industry. I honestly think these are like... literal things that Lynch believes. And I *kinda* agree, at least in the sense that my mother raised me with the axiom "you are what you eat" and as a result I've always stayed far far away from fast food and gas station food and whatnot, though I'm not a total snob I'll eat mcdonalds if I have to.

In some ways Dr. Amp seems like a self-parody of Lynch. Or of his reputation.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

im pretty sure James return only to be called cool and sing THAT song is trolling but it's trolling in the best possible way

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

American cinema is so completely divorced from even the vaguest IDEA of spiritual struggle that we barely know how to recognize it when a TV show or movie puts it right in front of us and points to it and grins and says, "Spiritual struggle happening here, check it out." That scene with Norma debating whether to use cheaper pie ingredients is about integrity versus profit, and having standards.

This scene felt about as subtle as being driven over by Richard Horne so...

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Breadallelogram posted:

The James Hurley road house performance was the funniest goddamn thing they could have done this season. It sounded like the exact same recording from the original scene.

I think it literally was. James stopped miming the song when the voice continued for a bit iirc.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
What was all that screaming going on in the vegas police station?
I'd thought Ike was involved, and the cops were just ignoring it.

Also, this apparently happened tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6F96Oqmd0c

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Panamaniac posted:

What was all that screaming going on in the vegas police station?
I'd thought Ike was involved, and the cops were just ignoring it.

Also, this apparently happened tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6F96Oqmd0c

I took that as demonstrating that these cops are just fat fucks that barely care.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It works as a commentary on police violence. Someone out there is obviously having a bad time, and perhaps being abused by police, but they don't even perceive them as a human because the person is a criminal.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I find it somewhat incongruous but actually appropriate that the execs at the WWE actually seem to feel there is enough legitimate crossover appeal to do a Twin Peaks parody this summer as a regular bit.

I mean, before, I wouldn't have thought the Venn diagram of TP/Lynch fanatics would cross-over much with people who EVER liked wrestling, then I remembered that I used to love it in the '90s when I was a kid and remembered those Bret Hart DVDs and crap I bought like 15 years ago or something when I was mysteriously drawn to watching some of it again. So, I guess stranger things have happened?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

kaworu posted:

I find it somewhat incongruous but actually appropriate that the execs at the WWE actually seem to feel there is enough legitimate crossover appeal to do a Twin Peaks parody this summer as a regular bit.

I mean, before, I wouldn't have thought the Venn diagram of TP/Lynch fanatics would cross-over much with people who EVER liked wrestling, then I remembered that I used to love it in the '90s when I was a kid and remembered those Bret Hart DVDs and crap I bought like 15 years ago or something when I was mysteriously drawn to watching some of it again. So, I guess stranger things have happened?

Both are campy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i watch p much only twin peaks and wwe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
and anime

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basically handle their female characters the same way.

Here's the bad girl
Here's the crazy girl
He's the no-nonsense girl
Here's the smart girl (just put glasses on her)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

All sorts of otherwise normal, intelligent people still love wrestling these days. It's completely bizarre

like I get it's dude soap opera but it's still just so, so awful

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009
Monsterpiece Theater did a Twin Peaks spoof in sesame street.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

All sorts of otherwise normal, intelligent people still love wrestling these days. It's completely bizarre

Its got plot lines on par with Twin Peaks in terms of weirdness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwLdT5kjRo

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It also has bizzare side plots and scenes. It really is Twin Peaks like the more I think about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's the slow crooning musical interludes that really put it over the top

E: and the murders

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Lord Krangdar posted:

I agree with the main point he's trying to make, but I think its worth noting that trolling is often paradoxically sincere even though on the internet it is usually cloaked in a facade of nihilism. I think Lynch is clearly trolling us, but the ideas motivating the trolling are sincere. If the term "trolling" is getting in the way, another way of saying it is he's playing with and subverting our expectations.

Agreed. Earlier in the thread, I called Lynch a master troll but I did so with a sense of delight, because in his case it feels like he's using deliberate unsatisfying or counterintuitive filmmaking to make a broader statement or riff on a broader theme (which is not to say he never makes mistakes!).

For example, I really like that in one scene, Lynch will hang on disturbing action (Richard Horne assaulting his grandma while Johnny is tied down and that bear is endlessly looping) and leave the viewer begging for him to cut away. Instead, he makes you watch all of it and feel rough feelings. Then, in the next, you'll want to see more for longer and he'll skip away (Dougie playing ball with Sonny Jim, perhaps, or what's going on in Sarah's house). Then, he'll cut to something completely out of left field (Episode 8, etc) when you're ready to get back to the mystery.

To me, that feels like deliberate toying with the viewer, but it never feels like a college film student doing it just to do it, it feels like Lynch wants to evoke reflection and consideration.

Or maybe he's just a crazy old coot and he's fooled us all, that scoundrel. Either way, TPtR is the best hour on television right now, bar none.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Escobarbarian posted:

So are you too scared of your own sexuality to watch mostly-naked dudes or are you just completely unimpressed with displays of physical skill or...?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

So are you too scared of your own sexuality to watch mostly-naked dudes or are you just completely unimpressed with displays of physical skill or...?

lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cosigned

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hahaha.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I knew a guy that was super into wrestling back in the 80's and then he died of a heart attack last year so no thank you very much.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Buy y'all. We know time is doing some funky poo poo, so why can't the reflection AND the headlights both be a sign of that? We've seen several instances of weird slowdown in scenes or odd blurs or people blinking in reverse, so why not this too?

At this point I'm much more inclined to think that they edited an odd time jump that a character reacts to vs an editing mistake that happens to fit neatly into the themes they're presenting, with an actor reacting to nothing immediately after.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

NextSundayA.D. posted:

Monsterpiece Theater did a Twin Peaks spoof in sesame street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vftf8TTve4s

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

mary had a little clam posted:

Or maybe he's just a crazy old coot and he's fooled us all, that scoundrel. Either way, TPtR is the best hour on television right now, bar none.

Unfortunately 13 hours have aired :smuggo:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My co-host just called me excitedly while editing to suggest that one of the reasons the chronology is so hosed is because they planned on having a fair amount of it be entire episodes based around one storyline - so for instance we get all the Dougie stuff at once, all the Hastings stuff at once etc (or very close to this) but then someone along the line demanded that say, it all had to be spread out equally, or that they couldn't go too many episodes without any MacLachlan, so they had to re-order it.

Aside from my skepticism that anyone would try and force this on Lynch/he would be ok with it, it actually makes a lot of sense.

I also considered these two things I've read but don't have a backup for as part of the overall reason. Could anyone tell me if these were proven in any way, or just poo poo people made up?
- Lynch originally wanted the 18 hours to be aired in episodes of different lengths, so say one 2hr episode, then one 3hr episode, etc
- Lynch and Frost only wrote the 9-hour version together and then when they got extended Frost went and wrote the Secret History Book while Lynch just kept on writing and adding in extra scenes

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What if Dougie is just bad coop in the future after a lobotomy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

My co-host just called me excitedly while editing to suggest that one of the reasons the chronology is so hosed is because they planned on having a fair amount of it be entire episodes based around one storyline - so for instance we get all the Dougie stuff at once, all the Hastings stuff at once etc (or very close to this) but then someone along the line demanded that say, it all had to be spread out equally, or that they couldn't go too many episodes without any MacLachlan, so they had to re-order it.

Aside from my skepticism that anyone would try and force this on Lynch/he would be ok with it, it actually makes a lot of sense.

I also considered these two things I've read but don't have a backup for as part of the overall reason. Could anyone tell me if these were proven in any way, or just poo poo people made up?
- Lynch originally wanted the 18 hours to be aired in episodes of different lengths, so say one 2hr episode, then one 3hr episode, etc
- Lynch and Frost only wrote the 9-hour version together and then when they got extended Frost went and wrote the Secret History Book while Lynch just kept on writing and adding in extra scenes

I don't have any official insight, but I did read same report about Lynch padding out the original 9 episodes while Frost disappeared to write the book. This totally makes sense, because while I adore the series, there's some very bizarre editing and pacing issues like Bill Hastings vanishing for like, eight episodes. Or Audrey and Ed not appearing until the final third of the series.

It's very obvious splitting up this giant 18 hour chunk of footage into self-contained episodes was an afterthought. It makes it a super interesting and unpredictable watch, but I can totally see how it would just piss some viewers off.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm going to have no qualms about eventually watching a fan edit where they order it sequentially, or in such a way that it makes more "sense." I know some people are completely opposed to that kind of thing, but I think it's great for a show like this that swirls around in my head so loving much.

And I had no idea The Secret History was written after The Return. For some reason I thought it was written before, or during. I also thought the script was the exact same as the 9 episode version, and the whole reason Lynch wanted more episodes was because he couldn't get it all in 9 episodes, not that he wanted to add more to the script itself. I could be wrong though, I have no sources on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

wa27 posted:

Ok, you caused me to go full :spergin: explaining why everyone talking about this is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVUZGGjuj4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqhTwXMOhxM

tl;dr: the reflection jumps because they cut to a different shot as the car drives by. There are several other things in the shot that jump as well.

loving the irony of the frame straightening sign.