Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Drunk Theory posted:

And yet, they've begun creating policy to phase transgender people out of the military.

I thought the wording was simply "Tweets are not official orders, we will "review" this "policy proposal" and "come back" with an well studied "answer" once it is "finished"."

AKA: Look rear end in a top hat, you think congress can drag it's feet? Hold our beer.

Unless I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

FizFashizzle posted:

So basically trump thought the FBI raid would leak so he immediately tried to create a media distraction by sending out an order on twitter that the military completely ignored.

Then the raid didn't leak anyway because mueller is competent.

lol and now it's out weeks later.

The trans thing was because he misunderstood a request from House Republicans to ban the military from paying for transition surgeries.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

The trans thing was because he misunderstood a request from House Republicans to ban the military from paying for transition surgeries.

:ughh:

Seriously?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kekekela posted:

Seriously?

Yep. Ryan was dealing with holdouts on the issue of paying for transition surgery/treatment while hashing out the defense budget. He decided to end around by asking Trump to EO it to get rid of the issue. Trump either misinterpreted it took upon himself to go there extra mile.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

This keeps getting posted, but they are codifying it into law as we speak, unfortunately.

Well, not law, but policy. A new president could reverse it quickly.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Kekekela posted:

Seriously?

Yes

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/26/trump-transgender-military-ban-behind-the-scenes-240990

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Yep. Ryan was dealing with holdouts on the issue of paying for transition surgery/treatment while hashing out the defense budget. He decided to end around by asking Trump to EO it to get rid of the issue. Trump either misinterpreted it took upon himself to go there extra mile.

I can't believe at 200+ days again this dumbass can still surprise me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What was weird about the trans ban tweets was that they were written almost professionally, which is unheard of for him. So it felt legitimate.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crain posted:

I thought the wording was simply "Tweets are not official orders, we will "review" this "policy proposal" and "come back" with an well studied "answer" once it is "finished"."

AKA: Look rear end in a top hat, you think congress can drag it's feet? Hold our beer.

Unless I missed something.

No, the military just said tweets are not orders. Trump's administration is working on transforming Trump's tweet into an order, which the military would then have to immediately follow. They just need to figure out the details on what to do with trans currently serving.

There's also a small chance that they were surprised by the extremely bad reaction and may be re-thinking it, but I wouldn't count on it since Trump never, ever admits to making a mistake or being wrong about anything. Thats probably what motivated his tweet, he was reportedly frustrated with lawyers and advisors telling him why it wasn't a good idea, and went "gently caress it, I'm sending a tweet, now its done, we can't take it back, so stop arguing with me!"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What was weird about the trans ban tweets was that they were written almost professionally, which is unheard of for him. So it felt legitimate.

I guarantee he did not write those. At least, not directly.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

fishing with the fam posted:

Myth: Repealing Obamacare would kick people off medicaid.
Fact: Poors aren't actually people.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/895295658852315136

To conservatives, Medicaid isn't for poor people, it's only for the disabled.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

It can be both.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The world is so insane that I actually had to check to see if this was real.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Looking at the time stamps on his tweets the last 24 hours, did Trump not sleep?

6:16 PM - 8 Aug 2017
11:56 PM - 8 Aug 2017
12:05 AM - 9 Aug 2017
12:35 AM - 9 Aug 2017
3:00 AM - 9 Aug 2017
3:17 AM - 9 Aug 2017
4:56 AM - 9 Aug 2017
5:03 AM - 9 Aug 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Me too.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Bicyclops posted:

I did too. :ohdear:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Reik posted:

Looking at the time stamps on his tweets the last 24 hours, did Trump not sleep?

6:16 PM - 8 Aug 2017
11:56 PM - 8 Aug 2017
12:05 AM - 9 Aug 2017
12:35 AM - 9 Aug 2017
3:00 AM - 9 Aug 2017
3:17 AM - 9 Aug 2017
4:56 AM - 9 Aug 2017
5:03 AM - 9 Aug 2017

Guessing 8:00->11:30, then 1:00->3:00ish. When you get older, you start splitting your sleep into a couple blocks and putter around for a while.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Bicyclops posted:

It isn't real? oh thank god.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Trump trained Spicey the same way

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reik posted:

Presidents don't really sleep a lot in general, but the low sleep thing has been a thing for Trump for a long time, even on the campaign trail he bragged about only sleeping like 3-4 hours a night.

It's surely doing wonders for his mental state.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/kyletblaine/status/895302892265103360

Don't blame McCain, blame his brain tumor.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

It can be both.

Don't assign some sort of strategy to Trump's deranged tweeting. It's literally just a senile old man yelling at his tv.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Iirc that McCabe tweetstorm was several hours after the transgender ban. The transgender tweets were real early in the morning, likely while the raid was in progress.

It'd be some real irony if that long pause he made between those first two tweets was because he was just getting word of the raid.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

So what he's saying is we shouldn't be thanking McCain, but his Brain Tumor.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Brain Tumor 2020

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So I'm assuming whoever writes the book on this dumpster fire is going to cross reference every significant event with whatever stupid tweet he sent out at that time.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Trump trained Spicey the same way

Holy moly, what a cool dog!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Radish posted:

So I'm assuming whoever writes the book on this dumpster fire is going to cross reference every significant event with whatever stupid tweet he sent out at that time.

They already wrote the book on this administration. Haven't you read A Canticle for Leibowitz?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mutata posted:

Brain Tumor 2020

Growing a greater America.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I assumed that what he was getting at was that McCain decided he was not going to have to face the voters again, so he could be free to do whatever he wants, but no, he's literally saying the tumor may have scrambled his brain.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yo he was going off his rocker way before now and you GOP shmucks we're fine with it. Voting no was the most coherent thing he has done in a while.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Don't assign some sort of strategy to Trump's deranged tweeting. It's literally just a senile old man yelling at his tv.

Nah we know historically he was very good at changing media narratives in New York with fake publicists, bribing and suing people, etc.

It's just he's completely out of his league now and instead of overwhelming the political press he's feeding them and making them stronger.

I can absolutely believe he wanted to swamp a leak expected to drop (mueller raid) with an executive order he misunderstood from republicans.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Simplex posted:

They are an opposition research firm founded by former journalists. Their involvement in this whole affair is pretty loving bizarre, but the same can be said about most any of the other primary actors. They were originally hired by someone in the Republican Party to dig up dirt on Trump. Once Trump won the Republican nomination, whoever commissioned the research pulled out, but then some Democrat benefactor stepped in and funded the effort. The bizarre connection is that previously Fusion GPS was hired by the law firm representing Prevezon, a Russian firm who had their assets seized as part of the Magnitsky Act. Veselnitskaya, when she met with Trump Jr., was in the US on a visa to represent the company in their court case.

I don't know if conventional descriptions like good/bad really apply to who they are, and what they seemingly do. They seem to basically be a mercenary intelligence agency. Republicans want to smear their name and hopefully discredit the Steele Dossier, so they are attacking the agency's work regarding the Prevezon case. Democrats obviously want more of the good poo poo. Being compelled to testify in front of Congress is really bad for business for a shadowy intelligence agency, so Fusion GPS wants nothing to do with any kind of Congressional testimony.

So they're basically ODIN or ISIS or some Archer poo poo?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

So they're basically ODIN or ISIS or some Archer poo poo?

Nothing so dramatic, they're glorified private detectives. They are hired to dig up dirt on opponents, and get a pass socially because they are true mercenaries; they will work for anyone as demonstrated by switching sides so often.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...68ed_story.html

Did we talk about the FBI raiding Paul Manafort?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
McCain has nearly a full term remaining... keep ostracizing him.

I do assume that McCain's time in the hospital was hand-in-hand with numerous medical professionals hinting to him that it was an awful bill though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Crabtree posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...68ed_story.html

Did we talk about the FBI raiding Paul Manafort?

hours ago and it is cool/good

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sloober posted:

hours ago and it is cool/good

Sorry dude, things fly so fast these days I just heard of it.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/889174363974627333

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Boon posted:

McCain has nearly a full term remaining... keep ostracizing him.

I do assume that McCain's time in the hospital was hand-in-hand with numerous medical professionals hinting to him that it was an awful bill though.

Yeah he'll be in office for the rest of his life

• Locked thread