Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The fuckin art :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Look at that fuckin' hipster.

Finally something good for the mono black vampires deck in Legacy cube.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

Teferi was never printed in white I didn't think? Unless it was like way before I started playing.

I was just thinking it didn't make sense like getting a Red card named Nissa's Lighting that does 3 damage to creature or player

that has no nissa flavor, and loving around with phasing is absolutely teferi's wheelhouse

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Teferi was never printed in white I didn't think? Unless it was like way before I started playing.

I was just thinking it didn't make sense like getting a Red card named Nissa's Lighting that does 3 damage to creature or player

I'm not referring to Teferi himself.

I'm referring to these:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

I'm not referring to Teferi himself.

I'm referring to these:

Ah ok, makes sense I guess now.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
These vampires are so sexy. Each one could be used in it's own deck and own theme. AMAAAAAZING

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

En Fuego posted:

These vampires are so sexy. Each one could be used in it's own deck and own theme. AMAAAAAZING

Agree, the vampires look the best, and are in the most interesting color combination. Wizards did not need any more support in EDH and another tribe should have been chosen (Clerics? Shamans?). It would be cool to have more Green wizards however.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think Lucia is the weakest of all of them, but Mathas is extremely my poo poo.

Literally put big ol targets on poo poo you don't like.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I hate curses so much in multiplayer products. The white curse is especially bad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shadow225 posted:

I hate curses so much in multiplayer products. The white curse is especially bad.

This curse cycle clearly favors the two colors that really, really don't need it.

Green and Blue, because of course it does.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

This curse cycle clearly favors the two colors that really, really don't need it.

The red curse only costs R and could be quite good in an aggressive deck.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895300309425291264

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Shadow225 posted:

Eh, these curses don't seem as bad as previous ones. They're aggressively costed, and you gain a benefit symmetrical to the rest of the table. You can even target yourself for advantage in some corner-cases.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

My problem with curses isn't that the effects are usually bad, it's that they are very bad for any format with more than 2 players. I don't want to give my opponents cards, tokens, or mana. I have only seen one explicitly political card (Cruel Entertainment, the Vows, Curses, etc) played, and it was played in a politically themed deck. Those slots could be used for interesting new cards, reprints, or even mana rocks, sweepers, or decent card advantage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

New Blood is really interesting because it changes the textbox too, and that's a fairly unique effect. Grab a Precursor Golem, X Banneret, Dragon Broodmother, Eladamri, Heritage Druid, etc. for tribal synergy.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Shadow225 posted:

They've all been pretty crappy, but at least these are a step in the right direction by not being pure group-huggy poo poo. You always benefit the most, even if others do a bit as well.

The Shortest Path posted:

New Blood is really interesting because it changes the textbox too, and that's a fairly unique effect. Grab a Precursor Golem, X Banneret, Dragon Broodmother, Eladamri, Heritage Druid, etc. for tribal synergy.

You can also use it on your own creature, if that's ever a useful thing to do. I can't think of a reason why you'd want to, but the option is there.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Shortest Path posted:

Or, grab The Ur-Dragon and make all your vampires 1 cheaper.

Yo Mathas' foiling makes him look even more deranged than before

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
New Blood on Atogatog should rename it to Vampirevampire.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

It's like a million judges cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mfcrocker posted:

It's like a million judges cried out in terror and were suddenly phased out

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Infinite with archaeomancer and palinchron :v:

EDIT: Never mind, I can't read at all.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 10, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

Phasing is much, much cleaner after a rules change. Previously it had a zone change, but IIRC only triggered zone changes when leaving play, not entering. Phasing could totally be brought back as a mechanic in a Standard set, but it won't because it's a ~big scary boogeyman~ to both players and designers who remember how much of a rules headache it used to be.

I think the only not directly apparent interaction is what happens to Auras and Equipment attached to permanents that phase out, which this card sidesteps by phasing everything out, which is probably the reason it got the green light to get printed.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

This is my favorite card in the set so far. Bringing back Phasing AND protecting yourself so you can go off and win on your next turn for 3? At instant speed? P. dang fun card.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Do ETBs trigger when things phase back?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

mfcrocker posted:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

Either ETBs or LTBs, I forget which, did not trigger originally, but the rules were changed to have both trigger several years back

E: vvv or the other way around apparently, my mistake vvv

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 9, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

They're just treated as though they don't exist. Completely ignore them while they're phased out, and then remember that they're there again before you untap next turn.

Elyv posted:

Either ETBs or LTBs, I forget which, did not trigger originally, but the rules were changed to have both trigger several years back

702.25d The phasing event doesn’t actually cause a permanent to change zones or control, even though it’s treated as though it’s not on the battlefield and not under its controller’s control while it’s phased out. Zone-change triggers don’t trigger when a permanent phases in or out. Counters remain on a permanent while it’s phased out. Effects that check a phased-in permanent’s history won’t treat the phasing event as having caused the permanent to leave or enter the battlefield or its controller’s control.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Apparently there are some rules changes around phasing coming...

https://twitter.com/tabakrules/status/895317535007981568

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Looking forward to C17 not coming out on mtgo for 6 months after regular release because they can't figure out how to make this work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

uPen posted:

Looking forward to C17 not coming out on mtgo for 6 months after regular release because they can't figure out how to make this work.

They have phasing and protection from everything already, so it'll be a matter of the card having bugs instead of them just having no idea how to do it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
What world in this universe are the Kavu from? My friend has been clamoring for them to make a return for like 5+ years

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What world in this universe are the Kavu from? My friend has been clamoring for them to make a return for like 5+ years

Dominaria. They were in hibernation for forever and then got woken up in Invasion, storywise. Then after apoc they vanished to never been seen again until TSP and then vanished again after that

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

There's two options:

1. Get rid of the indirect phasing. There's no actual reason for Auras and Equipment to phase out with the creature other than that's what they wanted to do with Auras (Equipment didn't exist with phasing, remember) back in Mirage. If a creature phases out, everything falls off. This might be confusing to players because that's what happens when a creature leaves the battlefield, so they might think the creature is leaving the battlefield.

2. They could just let tokens phase out without going poof. Them ceasing to exist was just a carry-over from when it was an actual zone change.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/valimarmtg/status/895331662929698816

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tainen posted:

So much for Sapphire Charm being legacy playable!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does New Blood affect the type line? Does it affect the card name? If I steal a Goblin King does it become a Creature - Vampire called Vampire King that gives all other Vampires +1/+1 and mountain walk? Or just the last part? Does "text" just mean the contents of the rules text box?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Does New Blood affect the type line? Does it affect the card name? If I steal a Goblin King does it become a Creature - Vampire called Vampire King that gives all other Vampires +1/+1 and mountain walk? Or just the last part? Does "text" just mean the contents of the rules text box?

Pretty sure it only applies to the text box, as the type line and name are discrete parts of the card as far as the rules are concerned.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

5/5 flier with kill a man stapled to it would be very solid on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Well there you go

https://twitter.com/tabakrules/status/895314692616314881

https://twitter.com/tabakrules/status/895349169593868288

https://twitter.com/tabakrules/status/895349592694243329