Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

The irony of the DAPL protest was them making GBS threads did more to poison the water than DAPL did.

wow profound statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

children pissing in the gulf did more to poison the water than deepwater horizon up until the moment deepwater horizon exploded

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

children pissing in the gulf did more to poison the water than deepwater horizon up until the moment deepwater horizon exploded

this is actually incorrect, as opposed to what I posted.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah yes, Hillary Rodham Clinton, the first woman ever nominated president.

Reminder that she's going to poo poo on Bernie as much as she can in that book.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Reminder that she's going to poo poo on Bernie as much as she can in that book.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hillary bae is too important to care about Sanders... :smug:

a couple months ago, while writing her book

Interview posted:

But this was an election that was, in many ways, about anger. And Trump and Sanders capitalized on that.

“Yes.” Clinton nods. “And I beat both of them.”
:laffo::laffo:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
"I beat both of them"
"Then why is Trump president"
"gently caress you that's why" *Vanishes in a flurry of smoke and yass*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm getting mad irl at that quote.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/895123065864155138

It's a hold (the former occupant died), although it is a perennial battleground district that Dems only carried by a few points in 2014. The GOP failed to recruit a candidate for that district last year, so this was their chance to win a district Trump flipped bigly.

this "perennial battleground district" has been blue since the last redistricting considerably shifted it's borders in 2012, causing it to trade much of its territory with the 90th district, which has been held by Dems since 1993 or earlier (it gets harder to find data as you go farther back)

holding counties that have elected Dems every two years since 1993 isn't especially impressive. it just highlights how bad of a job Hillary Clinton did, managing to significantly underperform local Dems in many regions

sure, Trump won the district. but local elections are more predictive of local election outcomes than presidential elections are, so presidential outcomes only come up when lanyards are groping for a justification. like how the Dems thought GA-06 was "in play" because Hillary almost won it, even though the candidate for that particular seat lost by over 20 points in 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
the Dem candidate in GA-06 in November might not have been real

and he still got more votes than Ossoff lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not even true that Hillary was the first woman nominated for President, is it?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not even true that Hillary was the first woman nominated for President, is it?

from a "major" party

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

they ain't learned a thing

quote:

The fears are acute enough that when the Nevada chapter of Our Revolution — the political group spawned from the Sanders presidential campaign — endorsed long-shot candidate Jesse Sbaih in the state’s Democratic Senate primary over party favorite Rep. Jacky Rosen, retired former Sen. Harry Reid felt the need to call Sanders directly.

Don’t endorse Sbaih, and don’t let the national Our Revolution group accept its Nevada chapter's recommendation to back him either, the former minority leader implored his friend. Sanders agreed, said a Democrat familiar with the interaction.

“There’s a concern that [Sanders allied] people will try to make a stir,” said a senior Democratic aide working on a 2018 campaign. “You can’t just be a liberal Democrat in a lot of these states and be elected. [So] the question is how we improve the lives of people instead of playing these political games."

quote:

Some Democratic senators privately bristled at the health care rallies that Sanders and others organized across the country in January: They were shocked to be greeted by angry Sanders backers in the crowds who loudly urged them to back a single-payer plan, according to several Democratic senators and aides. There is also longstanding grumbling over his refusal to share his campaign email list with other Democrats and, more recently, over his vote against a new round of sanctions against Russia and Iran.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

*In the US from a major party.

There's a dozen or more women who came before her from minor parties, and a dozen more women across the world who were ELECTED president.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

this "perennial battleground district" has been blue since the last redistricting considerably shifted it's borders in 2012, causing it to trade much of its territory with the 90th district, which has been held by Dems since 1993 or earlier (it gets harder to find data as you go farther back)

holding counties that have elected Dems every two years since 1993 isn't especially impressive. it just highlights how bad of a job Hillary Clinton did, managing to significantly underperform local Dems in many regions

sure, Trump won the district. but local elections are more predictive of local election outcomes than presidential elections are, so presidential outcomes only come up when lanyards are groping for a justification. like how the Dems thought GA-06 was "in play" because Hillary almost won it, even though the candidate for that particular seat lost by over 20 points in 2016

dems have held the district before, but it's a rural district trending red that the gop almost always targets. in 2014 they came within a few points of taking it, and they almost certainly would have taken the district in 2016 had the republicans managed to field a candidate. like, i'm not saying this is a revolutionary win or anything, but it's Good

ga-06 was in play, ossoff almost won it as well. in this case the presidential race was actually far more predictive than the congressional race, totally undercutting whatever your point is

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Aug 9, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stooksburry would have won

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You'll all feel super dumb when the world is finally saved by President Stooksbury

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Hillary bae is too important to care about Sanders... :smug:

I actually meant that backwards

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

Just lmao that the dems have more slaves than the GOP

enslave 👏 all 👏 races 👏 equally👏

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ThndrShk2k posted:

"I beat both of them"
"Then why is Trump president"
"gently caress you that's why" *Vanishes in a flurry of smoke and yass*

Hillary had more yards, drat it. Who cares about touchdowns.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ThndrShk2k posted:

Well you have a job and buy food right? Computers? They're part of the economy, checkmate. :smug:

I believe in this context it's more of a large economy in small area has a high population density for loss and also effects for the rest of the nation due to instability.

Good thing Texas is in another tech boom.

texas's tech boom is just californians who got priced out of california, they'll move again to cheap land

Ace of Baes posted:

keep kalm and khive on

it's funny that a lot of women do riffs on that meme when it started from a playboy copycat

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Main Paineframe posted:

they ain't learned a thing

you cant be a liberal democrat because then you dont get the donor money. actually appealing to your constituents is a game!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

you cant be a liberal democrat because then you dont get the donor money. actually appealing to your constituents is a game!!

in this analogy, Bernie Sanders is Omar Little hustling Stringer, who is Hillary :omarcomin:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lastgirl posted:

in this analogy, Bernie Sanders is Omar Little hustling Stringer, who is Hillary :omarcomin:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

Omar was owned by Stringer up until he got help from a mainstream clean articulate black man.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bernard co-opting urban culture, highly problematic.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

It's an Obama Biden joke

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

zegermans posted:

Omar was owned by Stringer up until he got help from a mainstream clean articulate black man.

What show did you watch?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

What show did you watch?

What would you rather have, some stolen dope or a non-tortured-to-death lover

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93fi3NlriLI

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

What show did you watch?

I think it's a reference to the end of Season 3 (the mainstream articulate black man is Brother Mouzone, not Bunk)

e: never mind guess it was Season 1 all along

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

dems have held the district before, but it's a rural district trending red that the gop almost always targets. in 2014 they came within a few points of taking it, and they almost certainly would have taken the district in 2016 had the republicans managed to field a candidate. like, i'm not saying this is a revolutionary win or anything, but it's Good

ga-06 was in play, ossoff almost won it as well. in this case the presidential race was actually far more predictive than the congressional race, totally undercutting whatever your point is

sure, the Dem won those counties in 2009, 2010 (a massive Republican wave year), 2012, and 2014 (another massive Republican wave year), but the district was totally super competitive. I'm sure that district, which held blue even when Dems elsewhere were losing seats in massive numbers and consists mainly of counties that haven't elected the GOP to their seat in decades, was totally a victory snatched right from the Republicans' grasp

as for GA-06, the Dems spent record amounts of money and didn't get any more votes than the 2016 candidate that didn't even bother to campaign. it was a huge disaster, and previous Congressional races were very predictive of the result, as the numbers there almost exactly matched those of the last couple elections for that seat - Ossoff got about as many votes as Stooksbury did in 2016, while Handel's vote number was just a bit below Price's 2014 turnout. the only reason that seat was even in play was because the Republicans totally mismanaged the primary, and Ossoff still couldn't swing the win he needed there

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

zegermans posted:

What would you rather have, some stolen dope or a non-tortured-to-death lover

My man, Stringer and Barksdale fell rear end backwards into that. Omar was wrecking havoc before and after that happened.

If anyone got a leg up on Omar it was Marlo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

zegermans posted:

shut up zegermans

Omar hit his drops (constituents) while Strang was cozying up to a rainmaker (donor class)

String getting shot was out of an ethical principle, not money i.e. the game. In that scenario, it is Hillary who lost the election because she locked the doors to 3 swing states.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Significant Ant posted:

She could barely hide her contempt for anyone who didn’t live in NYC

Certain parts of New York City. Not a single of of these types cares about the City if it's outside of Manhattan and Williamsburg Brooklyn. Hiliary Clinton would only go to East New York in the middle of the day and only with her full retinue and an army of cops to keep the residents at arms length

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

marlo was a dumb character that seemed more like a poorly written Big Bad that just happened to show up in Sunnydale as opposed to an actual drug dealer.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
RACIAL DYNAMICS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The GA-6 special election was a useful exercise in proving that the Dems would be much better served running literal empty suits like Stooksbury instead of figurative empty suits like Ossoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

shut up zegermans

Omar hit his drops (constituents) while Strang was cozying up to a rainmaker (donor class)

String getting shot was out of an ethical principle, not money i.e. the game. In that scenario, it is Hillary who lost the election because she locked the doors to 3 swing states.

but like who's brother mouzone tho

• Locked thread