Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What was yesterday's small update?

edit: I wonder if this has anything to do with Breta's plan...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Well, my main menu is now pink

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I am repeatedly beating my head against Trial of Fools. Finished most other things in the game (haven't done Radiance but have all the charms and upgrades I think), but good lord this is brutal. White palace I didn't find nearly as bad. I can get through most of it okay but often take damage on the spirit things, the all-air section, the spike-platform jumping assholes section, and I haven't had enough practice to figure the final duo yet. Uuuugh.

Also I had no idea that Zote and Dung Defender 2.0 had multiple fights. I thought it was just one each. Might have to keep at those.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Arcturas posted:

I am repeatedly beating my head against Trial of Fools. Finished most other things in the game (haven't done Radiance but have all the charms and upgrades I think), but good lord this is brutal. White palace I didn't find nearly as bad. I can get through most of it okay but often take damage on the spirit things, the all-air section, the spike-platform jumping assholes section, and I haven't had enough practice to figure the final duo yet. Uuuugh.

Also I had no idea that Zote and Dung Defender 2.0 had multiple fights. I thought it was just one each. Might have to keep at those.

What charm build are you running? I had the most luck with Quick Slash, Mark of Pride and Longnail.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I Said No posted:

What charm build are you running? I had the most luck with Quick Slash, Mark of Pride and Longnail.

Supposedly the key is to have Nailmaster's Glory and git gud at charging up attacks (or set a macro??) so that you can one-shot Primal Aspids as soon as they pop up.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Hard to give a lot of tips other than practice until you start feeling more comfortable reading their movement. I will recommend practicing doing a spike-hop from one edge of the arena to the other. When you find yourself unable to get above the enemies, this will often give you some much needed space. Spike platforming jumping assholes is bullshit RNG and you shouldn't feel bad. I never tried it myself in this context, but Descending Dark gives you a really long invulnerability time. Maybe try to initiate one of those the moment you see one coming towards your platform. Spirit guys are also obnoxious, fwiw try to keep in mind that you can actually bounce off the electricity cloud.

As for the final duo, keep in mind that the rider is generally very slow to move. She has massive reach with that weapon, and that might catch you of guard, but if you're far enough away you shouldn't worry too much about her movements surprising you. So focus on keeping track of the big guy, since his roll move gives you less time to dodge.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the charm combo I used for trial of fools is to use hiveblood with grubsong and one of the nail extenders and then just use the dream nail on the thin sword bugs for easy healing. Once you get to the final boss of the trial, you can just jump in the upper left of the screen and not get hurt to let your health recharge and then spam spells when you land back down. the only part where this combo doesn't work is the death pit part :argh:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I've been using: Nailmaster's Glory, Shaman Stone, Dream Wielder, and then whatever else seems like a good idea.

For a while I used Hiveblood to try and minimize chip damage and unintentional mistakes. I've tried using Sharp Shadow to help with the no-floor section but it makes it way too hard to stall on a bunch of other guys to heal up. I should re-try Grubberfly's ELegy, but haven't found great success. Mark of Pride has rotated in and out of my set. I should try it more, since I normally really like it.

Nailmaster's Glory because one-shotting the Primal Aspids and flying Mantises and jumping spiky balls and Spell Twisters is super nice, plus a full cyclone will one-shot the Heavy Fools if you can catch them as they spawn.
Shaman Stone because using Shade Soul to one-shot the Spell Twisters is my preferred method of dealing with them and using descending dark on the Mawleks is really handy.
Dream Wielder because quickly recovering Soul on a bunch of random enemies throughout the challenge means there are a bunch of places I can stall to full heal. (Shielded Fools, single Winged Fools, if you're careful single Sturdy Fools, Armored Squirts)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Simple question that's definitely been answered but I don't wanna read the thread because of spoilers;

-Can you access the two new bossfights without starting a new playthrough
-Is there enough content in this update that I should do a new run anyways if I wasn't planning on it

I figured the boss fights were the only major additions but I might be wrong.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Internet Kraken posted:

Simple question that's definitely been answered but I don't wanna read the thread because of spoilers;

-Can you access the two new bossfights without starting a new playthrough
-Is there enough content in this update that I should do a new run anyways if I wasn't planning on it

I figured the boss fights were the only major additions but I might be wrong.

-Yes, if you've kept Zote alive.
-Unclear, probably not but additional hidden things may have been added, there are some weird reports coming in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
oh my god how am I supposed to fight this boss when I'm dying from laughter :lol:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I really wish there was a boss rush option at the end of the game. I'd love to get a chance to re-fight all the bosses with whatever charms I want.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What I really wish is the game had a NG+ mode with the difficulty on everything scaled up a ton, but you start with 100% completion. Or at least all charms and slots. Cause there are lots of fun combinations but not enough time to really explore your options before the very end.

EDIT: This new fight is one of the biggest trolls I've ever seen in a game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 9, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

More like zote the shitey

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I picked this up while it was on sale. I think I like it, but the game can be pretty punishing with save points. The maps are so huge for this type of game that it can take forever to run back if you die, and it's frustrating if you get killed by a tricky boss that's far from a save point (I lost 1000+ cash by dying on the run back to Soul Master). I guess I was expecting a little more Metroid and a little less Dark Souls.

I'm in Crystal Peak now, and I only have four or five crests available. Are they well-hidden, or back-loaded, or did I miss something really obvious?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

I picked this up while it was on sale. I think I like it, but the game can be pretty punishing with save points. The maps are so huge for this type of game that it can take forever to run back if you die, and it's frustrating if you get killed by a tricky boss that's far from a save point (I lost 1000+ cash by dying on the run back to Soul Master). I guess I was expecting a little more Metroid and a little less Dark Souls.

I'm in Crystal Peak now, and I only have four or five crests available. Are they well-hidden, or back-loaded, or did I miss something really obvious?

As far as charm slots and charms, it varies a lot. Many are fairly well hidden.
Something to save you some time in the future: almost all boss fights have shortcuts for the route between the nearest save point and the boss itself.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Trust me on this: You will soon reach a point where 1000 soul doesn't feel like that much. If you constantly keep Gathering Swarm equipped you will reach it even faster. That's not to say that the lack of benches isn't frustrating in that situation, but you don't need to worry about money.

Charms are neither extremely well hidden nor particularly back-loaded (a little bit yes, because of how Metroidvanias work with new abilities giving you access). Consider that you have found, by my estimate, about a quarter of the areas in the game. Game big.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm playing this right now and I have no idea what the intended order for these zones is. I have like 5 different areas available to me.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

I'm playing this right now and I have no idea what the intended order for these zones is. I have like 5 different areas available to me.

Just go to deepnest.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

You get like five charms from the charm merchant alone, so it kinda sounds like you missed her. She's in forgotten crossroads

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Andrast posted:

It doesn't matter, just explore everything, and you'll be fine!
The order of the first part is roughly:
Forgotten crossroads to get the first spell, then head east into the overgrown gardens to get the dash, then head into the fungal wastes to get walljump, then into the city of tears to upgrade your nail and get your second spell.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished the game last night on a blind run, ended up with around 80% completion and got what I assume is the bad ending. Seems like the main thing to do now is grind out a bunch of essence from those trees and other sources so I can access an area that everyone hates, then beat the true final boss who everyone hates.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Also finished this yesterday playing blind, so I can finally start reading this thread. I've never really played any similar games except maybe Symphony of the Night probably 20 years ago, and I absolutely loved every part of Hollow Knight. Gave up on some of the more difficult stuff Trial of the Fool and Zote, and ended up with 79%. Might try to get 100%, we'll see.

I felt the game was challenging, but never unfair, and the sense of exploration and finding upgrades was pretty well done. A little slow at first maybe, but that might just be me getting more comfortable with the game. I also thought the production value was excellent, the controls felt really tight and responsive, and the only thing I really didn't get into was the lore.

Are there other, similar games I should have a look at that are as good as Hollow Knight?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If you haven't played Dark Souls yet, do it asap. It's the game that's most like Hollow Knight.

If you're looking fore more 2D stuff try Ori & the Blind Forest, Shovel Knight, Shadow Complex, maybe Salt & Sanctuary.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

Nevvy's trolling, while you absolutely can go to Deepnest and clear it at this point, it's designed to be the hardest and most oppressive area of the main game. The devs created a lot of possible play orders, so just do what feels right.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

You get like five charms from the charm merchant alone, so it kinda sounds like you missed her. She's in forgotten crossroads
Yep, just found her. I'd been in that area before, but either I just overlooked her, or I didn't have wall jump yet.

What's a good way to get more money at this point in the game? I have a bunch of trinkets that I think are sellable, but I don't remember where the merchant for them is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WhiteHowler posted:

Yep, just found her. I'd been in that area before, but either I just overlooked her, or I didn't have wall jump yet.

What's a good way to get more money at this point in the game? I have a bunch of trinkets that I think are sellable, but I don't remember where the merchant for them is.

He's in the middle of City of Tears, near the bottom.

Don't worry about money, seriously. In the early game it feels like every geo is precious and losing a shade is like a gut punch, but you will get more money than you know what to do with.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the thing is, there really isn't that much to spend Geo on. If you have a particular thing at a store you want, spend twenty minutes grinding in the most-advanced area you've reached, and you should be fine. The hardest one I can remember is the lantern, but even that isn't too bad to work up to.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished the game last night on a blind run, ended up with around 80% completion and got what I assume is the bad ending. Seems like the main thing to do now is grind out a bunch of essence from those trees and other sources so I can access an area that everyone hates, then beat the true final boss who everyone hates.

People hate the true final boss now?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

So It Goes posted:

People hate the true final boss now?

Maybe hate is the wrong word and I haven't looked at any videos of the fight, but I've seen people saying it's significantly harder than the other boss fights and requires cheese-like strats to beat. Maybe they're just bad at the game, can't really say for sure until I get there myself.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

they're just bad at the game

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe hate is the wrong word and I haven't looked at any videos of the fight, but I've seen people saying it's significantly harder than the other boss fights and requires cheese-like strats to beat. Maybe they're just bad at the game, can't really say for sure until I get there myself.

The true final boss is hard but it's not like, ungodly difficult or anything. It was a cool and satisfying fight imo. There's some charm combos that make it a lot easier as well.

I found the optional area a lot more obnoxious. It just doesn't really fit the tone or style of the rest of the game.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The final boss is unusual in that it follows a different form for player information than other bosses in the game.

Most bosses in the game train the player to fight them using the design of enemies in the area leading up to them. Soul Master is a prime example of this, and Hornet for whatever reason doesn't appear to do it at all.

Players are trained to fight the true final boss primarily with several of the dream warriors, and to a lesser extent, certain other optional boss fights. It's fantastically done from a thematic perspective, but it's also asking for a lot more recall.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 9, 2017

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The one really annoying thing about the final is boss is having to do the fight immediately before it over and over again every time you die. I don't think people would dislike it so much if you weren't forced into a boring, zero-danger 2 minute "fight" as punishment for dying.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There is a trick to the final boss. Don't get hit. You might think im joking but prioritizing evasion and just getting used to the patterns and only attack when you know its safe is the way to go. While healing is possible, it's more often than not a trap for this fight outside of some very small windows. So emphasize not getting hit over everything even if it extends the fight. Never rush.

Thankfully all the attacks are well telegraphed and barring the occasional bad luck, its not all that hard to dodge everything once you've gotten used to the fight.

Final boss is fine though, so is White Palace. But if I had to pick, I'd say the final boss is a lot more fun then the palace was, though it did take me longer to do it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 9, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

JuniperCake posted:

There is a trick to the final boss. Don't get hit. You might think im joking but prioritizing evasion and just getting used to the patterns and only attack when you know its safe is the way to go. While healing is possible, it's more often than not a trap for this fight outside of some very small windows. So emphasize not getting hit over everything even if it extends the fight. Never rush.

Thankfully all the attacks are well telegraphed and barring the occasional bad luck, its not all that hard to dodge everything once you've gotten used to the fight.

This is very correct. I found the boss really easy once I stacked lifeblood charms and ignored healing altogether. Also, abyssal shriek works extremely well against this boss.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any sort of tell for the Prince's falling attack? 90% of the time I can avoid it by dashing towards the center but than there's that one time where he lands right on me, and in a fight where you can take roughly two hits that's pretty loving annoying to lose too.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i enjoyed this enough to play with an un-upgraded nail for most of the game to force myself to learn most of the bosses instead of just brute forcing them. managed to clear the first ending that way, but i gave in for the third arena challenge and the failed champion (and the true ending boss), those were just a bit too long and taxing to clear without upgrades.

when i maxed my nail out all at once, i let the nailmaster live, but then i realized i wanted to check out if he had any interesting dream nail dialogue and i force quit the game to try to reset the scene. unfortunately it saves right after the nail upgrade finishes but before it flags the final choice you make with them, so now the nailmaster is stuck in the smith and the game softlocks if i try to talk to him :v: no achievements for me

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any sort of tell for the Prince's falling attack? 90% of the time I can avoid it by dashing towards the center but than there's that one time where he lands right on me, and in a fight where you can take roughly two hits that's pretty loving annoying to lose too.

if you have the upgraded ground smash, it gives you enough invincibility frames to get out of the way even if zote lands right on your face

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Picked this back up after a few weeks and I'm not sure what to do next.

Any ideas? I've spend plenty of time in the waterway but I can't find the goddamn map guy.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Venuz Patrol posted:

if you have the upgraded ground smash, it gives you enough invincibility frames to get out of the way even if zote lands right on your face

Is there really no way to consistently dodge it? That seems really lovely, given he can spam it and you won't have enough magic to use the ground pound always. I keep thinking there most be some way to always dodge it but I have no clue what it would be.