Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Only part of the movie that got a chuckle out of me was Patty being followed by the mannequin. And then I thought, "drat I have to give them that one," but then it occurred to me that the joke to second ratio was so high and the laugh to joke ratio was so low that it really didn't matter.

So much of the movie is spent waiting for failed jokes to end that they could probably edit the movie down by 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
My favorite part about the 2016 Ghostbusters movie is when Dan Akyroyd said that Paul Fieg will never be allowed on the Sony Pictures lot ever again

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
like seriously though why did Sony hand the keys of the movie version of a Lamborghini Gallardo to Paul fuckin Feig and go "hmmm yeah we can definitely trust this guy not to crash our movie into a guard rail"

how does Sony keep loving up

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Monkey Fracas posted:

like seriously though why did Sony hand the keys of the movie version of a Lamborghini Gallardo to Paul fuckin Feig and go "hmmm yeah we can definitely trust this guy not to crash our movie into a guard rail"

how does Sony keep loving up

Cause he had some success with small, low budget movies making a profit and Sony thought he was ready for the big time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sony gonna throw coke and dunkin donut ads all over funimation now that their film division is on a lifeline.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It was also really cool how Sony said that everyone who didn't like the new Ghostbusters was a misogynistic basement dweller. That really made me want to go see it. Trying to shame people into the theater doesn't really work. At least it's convenient to think that your critics are the scum of the earth when they don't like the smell of your farts so you never have to do any self-reflection

These been some rumblings about CBS trying to use the same excuse for Star Trek Discovery but that one isn't going to fool anyone because Star Trek has always been diverse, we've had a black captain and a woman captain before, and the show with the black guy was in fact the best one. No, I just don't like it how Star Trek Discovery looks like a dark and gritty Mass Effect and how the main character is Spock's adopted human sister who we have never heard of until now and that's super dumb

Fabricated posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 is only really worth talking about in reference to how insanely mad people got online about it for whatever reasons.

For me it fell into the same pit as Rogue One, The Force Awakens, etc where it was amnesia in film form because I was for better or worse engaged for the entirety of all those movies and then the instant I left the theater and threw my popcorn bucket away I had forgotten literally 90% of what happened

GB2016 was bad but it was ephemeral; it just evaporated from my brain when I stopped watching it. The new Star Wars stuff was good if I can recall how I felt about it, but I couldn't tell you the name of any character in Rogue One with a gun to my head.

Yeah honestly the movie itself just isn't worth talking about and just isn't really all that interesting. Now the huge shitstorm surrounding the movie, that I find really fascinating. It will be remembered for that and not for the movie itself which is just forgettable

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 9, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the deal with Michelle Yeoh in STD? She is barely in the trailer while the black chick looks like she is being groomed to take the captain's chair then they kill Yeoh in some sort of half done stunt casting.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sony gonna throw coke and dunkin donut ads all over funimation now that their film division is on a lifeline.

the most sobering part of the plinkett review was that more intent and delicacy was awarded to managing competing corporate interests in the film's product placement than what was given to the actual content of the film

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

oohhboy posted:

What the deal with Michelle Yeoh in STD? She is barely in the trailer while the black chick looks like she is being groomed to take the captain's chair then they kill Yeoh in some sort of half done stunt casting.

the original showrunner's idea was to kill the captain and focus on a side character as the stealth protagonist so this may be what they're going for.

I think making a big deal about getting a diverse cast just to kill some of them off would be a bad idea but I'm not one of the top minds that gave us the CSI franchise.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

oohhboy posted:

I dunno. I'm guessing Michelle Yeoh is the Captain, then she gets killed, then Sonequa Martin who is Spock's adopted sister becomes captain and then she flies off the handle and fucks up and starts a war with the Klingons. That's what the trailer looks like to me.

I could forgive them just inventing a human stepsister for Spock even though it screams fanfic poo poo, but the whole tone of the thing is just so.... off. Star Trek is fun and goofy and while tackling social issues is literally what the show is all about, it does it in a way that's optimistic and not depressing. Discovery just looks like it takes itself completely seriously and is all dark and gritty. Rumor has it that it's going to have plenty of gore, death and naughty swear words and while I'm no prude and I in fact love all of those things, seeing them in Star Trek is just like... wrong

Star Trek Generations was a lovely movie but the scene where Data says "oh poo poo" is funny and played for laughs precisely because nobody ever swears in Star Trek

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Paul Feig is the role Jack was born to play

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i could never get into STar Trek. I've watched some episodes of the original tv show with William SHatner and enjoyed a few of them, but a lot of them are boring. And when I tried to get into the other Star Treks, they were too boring too.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Blue Star posted:

i could never get into STar Trek. I've watched some episodes of the original tv show with William SHatner and enjoyed a few of them, but a lot of them are boring. And when I tried to get into the other Star Treks, they were too boring too.

Sometimes liking something comes down to whether or not you can tolerate being bored. Fishing's boring. Nascar is boring. Star Trek is boring entertainment and that's not always a bad thing if that's your bag. 2001 is a great movie but it's also boring as hell.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blue Star posted:

It's super not for everyone.

My favorite movies from the past 10 years or so are science fiction movies that aren't sequels or remakes of anything and don't have any action or anything exploding in them at all. Arrival is a movie that's just about Amy Adams trying to talk to these weird rear end aliens and there's no fight scenes at all and it's great and I loved it

It's also why Star Trek doesn't really work well as a big budget Hollywood movie because some of the best episodes are just the crew sitting around a table trying to figure out how to solve an ethical problem

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want to see Jack dressed as Paul Feig trying to get onto the Sony lot.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why does the main character have to be Sarek's daughter? why can't she be the daughter of another Vulcan?

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's super not for everyone.

My favorite movies from the past 10 years or so are science fiction movies that aren't sequels or remakes of anything and don't have any action or anything exploding in them at all. Arrival is a movie that's just about Amy Adams trying to talk to these weird rear end aliens and there's no fight scenes at all and it's great and I loved it

It's also why Star Trek doesn't really work well as a big budget Hollywood movie because some of the best episodes are just the crew sitting around a table trying to figure out how to solve an ethical problem

Wow, watching Arrival is reallyyyy intellectual

If a movie is a well-acclaimed intellectual drama like 2046 I'll sit through it but I don't know what makes Star Trek worth sitting through. Explain?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wiig/McCarthy: cat bag bag cat cat cat bag bag cat

Plinkett: [monotone] Hilaaaarious

That could have been the whole review. That was so perfect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NutritiousSnack posted:

i think if you're reading this thread you are at the very least paying money to see movies made by hollywood

nah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gently caress arrival. It's the pilot of deep space nine only done much worse

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

Someone should've told Avery Brooks they weren't rehearsing and that the camera was rolling.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HIJK posted:

the original showrunner's idea was to kill the captain and focus on a side character as the stealth protagonist so this may be what they're going for.

I think making a big deal about getting a diverse cast just to kill some of them off would be a bad idea but I'm not one of the top minds that gave us the CSI franchise.

Oh CSI doing Trek? Yeah this poo poo is doomed.

First contact is a pretty good movie. The answer to the conflict wasn't how many people we have to shoot, it was about making the decision past the rage and finding something positive out of a bleak situation. The shooting was also good and so were the jokes.

I find the best episodes are the "Crew below" episodes where you get to see the gears at work and the same for the dark episodes of DS9 where they just can't fly away into a happy ending. Things sometimes don't work out, you got to put your hand in the filth, crack open that access panel. Also seeing O'Brian suffering never gets old.

Nirvikalpa posted:

why does the main character have to be Sarek's daughter? why can't she be the daughter of another Vulcan?

Because they are poo poo hack frauds that insist on connecting everything so they can spin off the show from something established so they can later make another spin off to spin off of; see JAG/NCIS/NCIS LA/NCIS RED/Hawaii 5-0?? Endless CSI omni lab techs. You get the idea.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Wait so is there rad cardassians in arrival?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vermin posted:

Someone should've told Avery Brooks they weren't rehearsing and that the camera was rolling.

He gets better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

vermin posted:

Only part of the movie that got a chuckle out of me was Patty being followed by the mannequin. And then I thought, "drat I have to give them that one," but then it occurred to me that the joke to second ratio was so high and the laugh to joke ratio was so low that it really didn't matter.

The living mannequins was done better in Doctor Who and that's not saying much.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If you don't love Avery Brooks chewing up scenery, then hey, I don't even wanna know ya. :colbert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Evil Canadian posted:

yes except they weren't aliens, they were just weirdly antagonistic chinese

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sisko is so dreamy :allears:

ISN'T. IT. POSSIBLE.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Evil Canadian posted:

There's a lovely backwards military dictatorship that loves to occupy and genocide other cultures for their own good and who doesn't understand the aliens so wants to destroy/control them in the arrival, so yes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
lmao I didn't know the dark tower movie was sony

goddamn do they keep slinging garbage

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Well this is the best Youtube video ever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Overacting is a longstanding Star Trek tradition and Avery Brooks arguably chews the scenery more than Willam Shatner himself, and Bill Shatner practically invented chewing the scenery

One of my favorite scenes in DS9 is when Sisko was like "IT WAS REAL! I INVENTED IT! IN MY MIND! AND IT WAS REAAAALLL"

It's supposed to be a really dramatic scene but I can't help but find it hilarious. DS9 was the darkest Star Trek show and had the darkest subject matter, but it handled it in such a way that it still felt very much like Star Trek. And when she show actually did humor on purpose it was genuinely funny. It's all about tone.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

There's an equivalent but they're much less rad because like I said it's much worsw

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

There's an equivalent but they're much less rad because like I said it's much worsw

The wormhole alien gods and the pahwraiths are the worst aspects of DS9 and the pilot is very poo poo mate. DS9 as a whole is amazing obviously, but Arrival is much more interesting than talking to monotone autistic people in heart-beat-sound-land

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Overacting is a longstanding Star Trek tradition and Avery Brooks arguably chews the scenery more than Willam Shatner himself, and Bill Shatner practically invented chewing the scenery

One of my favorite scenes in DS9 is when Sisko was like "IT WAS REAL! I INVENTED IT! IN MY MIND! AND IT WAS REAAAALLL"

It's supposed to be a really dramatic scene but I can't help but find it hilarious. DS9 was the darkest Star Trek show and had the darkest subject matter, but it handled it in such a way that it still felt very much like Star Trek. And when she show actually did humor on purpose it was genuinely funny. It's all about tone.

DS9 and TNG are consistently entertaining for me because even when they strike out (TNG had a higher ratio of strikeouts than DS9) I still find the result entertaining either because of the aforementioned overacting or simply the glorious spectacle of corny scifi

I have a soft spot for corny scifi stuff

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paul Feig won't be allowed back on the Sony Pictures lot.....because Sony Pictures may not exist in 6 months

Remember from the leaked emails that they bet a bunch on The Emoji Movie which was a flop. That was their summer tentpole this year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paul Feig won't be allowed back on the Sony Pictures lot.....because Sony Pictures may not exist in 6 months

Remember from the leaked emails that they bet a bunch on The Emoji Movie which was a flop. That was their summer tentpole this year.

What the hell.

I get making an Emoji movie for kids. Keep the cost reasonable. Sell some lunch boxes. You've made some money. Betting the farm on it? That's a whole other level of insanity.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sisko steal scenes from scenes he's not even in. When he's off screen you're thinking, "I bet Sisko's doing something crazy right now." And then it cuts to him and he's in a holosuite doing something mundane like playing catch with his son but he somehow makes it intense and kind of threatening.

But yeah, DS9 is best trek.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the hell.

I get making an Emoji movie for kids. Keep the cost reasonable. Sell some lunch boxes. You've made some money. Betting the farm on it? That's a whole other level of insanity.

Kids love the smartphones right? They love text people and tweet

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sony pictures could make money hand over fist if they hired just one movie obsessed fatass who looked at their potential films and told them no.

A four hundred million dollar Ghostbuster remake?

No.

A two hundred million dollar Ghostbuster remake but the ghosts are video games?

No.

A partnership with the Bond franchise and Marvel studios?

Yes.

Sony. I'm available for 6 figures. Call me. Save your stupid film division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Nirvikalpa posted:

If a movie is a well-acclaimed intellectual drama like 2046 I'll sit through it but I don't know what makes Star Trek worth sitting through. Explain?

Star Trek has 2 appeals: interesting characters and asking moral questions that examine our society. You have be in for one of those two things at least and if you're not then you probably won't enjoy the show.

• Locked thread