Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ularg posted:

It's an old white guy. Picture of him alone and most would guess he's republican.

I mean, it's Iowa. All they've got is old white guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't believe we're actually having this conversation. But then again, yes. Yes I can. I loving believe anything anymore.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/895324362462470144

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tim Whatley posted:

More or less not a huge deal, but kind of neat this dude just won in a very Trump heavy district

https://twitter.com/TheDLCC/status/895120663064793090

I looked up some more details on this race.

quote:

Democratic veterinarian Phil Miller of Fairfield comfortably defeated Republican farmer Travis Harris of Davis County, 4,021 to 3,324 (about 55% to 45%)

Although Republicans probably have a natural advantage in this rural district, when the electorate gets that small, then personal relationships can matter a lot more than normal.

Hundreds of voters may have decided to vote for the nice man who fixed Spike's leg a while back and also saved our cat Fluffy's life 3 years ago, instead of the farmer no one ever heard of. There may also be some Trump backlash, but I don't think we're seeing a +31 Dem swing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rigel posted:

I looked up some more details on this race.

Although Republicans probably have a natural advantage in this rural district, when the electorate gets that small, then personal relationships can matter a lot more than normal.

Hundreds of voters may have decided to vote for the nice man who fixed Spike's leg a while back and also saved our cat Fluffy's life 3 years ago, instead of the farmer no one ever heard of. There may also be some Trump backlash, but I don't think we're seeing a +31 Dem swing.

There's that bucket of cold water

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I'm really glad our military felt it needed to tell everyone that we would win an arms race against North Korea, I feel a lot safer

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

There's that bucket of cold water

Yeah, the one that Phil Miller dropped on his own head to raise money for the ice bucket challenge. What a guy.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's Iowa. All they've got is old white guys.

white women, corn, pigs, soybeans, that one weird town full of orthodox jews and hispanic migrant laborers, mennonites

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

He thinks all white middle aged assholes look alike.

Cos he's a bigot.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pembroke Fuse posted:

He hasn't even appointed an ambassador to South Korea yet. Why the gently caress would he care about something like the NOAA?

As soon as Mara Lago leaks or a palm tree has a broken branch, he appoint the best FEMA head, [insert your own joke here, mine is Alex Jones because he knows about the North Pole lasers].

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Nukes in 4k are going to look so rad on YouTube

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
European Diplomats have a better grasp of US Politics than American Pundits or News Organizations:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/this-is-why-european-diplomats-think-donald-trump-is?utm_term=.xtj32BZ2x#.vibOAykAw

lol at some of these quotes, but it is legitimately terrifying that Trump is asking Ivanka and Jared Kushner for military advice.

quote:

European government officials and diplomats mock and criticize President Donald Trump’s policy and rhetoric behind his back, BuzzFeed reported on Wednesday.

One unnamed European official told BuzzFeed that a group of diplomats plays a word game mocking Trump’s repetitive rhetoric when he speaks in public: “Everything is ‘great,’ ‘very, very great,’ ‘amazing.'”

As recently as June, Trump said he didn’t “want other countries and other leaders to laugh at us anymore.”

An unnamed diplomat told BuzzFeed that Trump “has no historical view” and “seems to think the world started when he took office.”

Another unnamed European diplomat said Trump “is obsessed with Obama.”

“It’s his only real position,” the diplomat said. “He will ask: ‘Did Obama approve this?’ And if the answer is affirmative, he will say: ‘We don’t.’ He won’t even want to listen to the arguments or have a debate.”

Another diplomat said it had proved impossible to discuss serious international issues, such as Libya, with Trump. And seven months into his presidency, the European officials say they are still struggling to figure out who else they can engage with in the US administration.

Describing a meeting between their boss and the president as “basically useless,” they said: “He [Trump] just bombed us with questions: ‘How many people do you have? What’s your GDP? How much oil does [that country] produce? How many barrels a day? How much of it is yours?’”

“He’s not the kind of person you can have a discussion about how to deal with [Fayez] al-Sarraj [the prime minister of Libya]," the official added. "So you look for people around him, and that is where it’s a problem: The constant upheaval, it’s unclear who has influence, who is close to the president."

A number of European officials compared Trump with Italian former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi – but said the similarities end at their inappropriate jokes during meetings.

"He tells dirty jokes and the room gives him some polite laughs. He gets dissatisfied and says, 'Come on! That was funny. Did it not translate?' and asks for more laughter."

The officials revealed that at international meetings, Trump has openly mocked his own aides, contradicting and arguing with them in front of other leaders. That has compounded the impression of an administration in chaos. “We can hear everything, it’s weird,” one diplomat said.

The officials think only Trump's family members, in particular his daughter Ivanka, really have the president's trust.

Some diplomats noted that Trump understands power dynamics, and seems eager to affirm his place within these.
“He gets that Germany is important. He is very graceful with China’s Xi Jinping. The impression is that he is seeking affirmation and approval as president of the United States,” a senior European government official said.

Still, the official added, “he divides up countries based on his worldview. He doesn’t respect France for their handling of immigration. It is clear he dislikes Germany.”

A number of the officials BuzzFeed News spoke to wondered whether the US would today intervene if there were a new conflict in the Balkans or an uprising in a country such as Algeria. “What happens then?” one source asked. “These are big questions, big imponderables.”

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PhazonLink posted:

As soon as Mara Lago leaks or a palm tree has a broken branch, he appoint the best FEMA head, [insert your own joke here, mine is Alex Jones because he knows about the North Pole lasers].
It would be fascinating actually, to see how Trump behaves following a major domestic natural disaster which hosed up one of his precious perfectly maintained resort properties. I can see him literally just going to Mar A Lago and pointing his finger around micromanaging pointless poo poo, while hundreds of people in the surrounding areas are entirely ignored.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately on how you would go about filming that and then getting it on the internet. It seems like it'd be an enormous technical challenge.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

European Diplomats have a better grasp of US Politics than American Pundits or News Organizations:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/this-is-why-european-diplomats-think-donald-trump-is?utm_term=.xtj32BZ2x#.vibOAykAw

lol at some of these quotes, but it is legitimately terrifying that Trump is asking Ivanka and Jared Kushner for military advice.

There is nothing in that that I find surprising and that depresses the gently caress out of me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

dr_rat posted:

He thinks all white middle aged assholes look alike.

Cos he's a bigot.

Manafort looks like Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Once I realized the Manafort raid went on two weeks ago, I remembered reading one of the usual news stories about Mueller adding to his team.

So I went back and looked it up, and on August 1st, Mueller added Greg Andres to the investigation. Greg Andres was in charge of the Justice Department Fraud and Foreign Bribery unit:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-lawyer-exclusive-idUSKBN1AH5F9

Around the same time, we have the news of the grand jury being impaneled. I don't know if that was a cause, or an effect of the raid, but it looks like it was related.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The President of the United States

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dick Trauma posted:

Jabba the Trump.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Nice that WWIII is going to be started by a man-child off between two pudgy world leaders that lie about their golf handicap

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That can't be real.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately on how you would go about filming that and then getting it on the internet. It seems like it'd be an enormous technical challenge.

I wanna be the first to livestream my own nuclear demise

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Azhais posted:

Nice that WWIII is going to be started by a man-child off between two pudgy world leaders that lie about their golf handicap

I'm sure it could be aveterd by a literal dick measuring contest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The President of the United States literally does the "Ask a series of inane questions to distract from the fact that you don't know what you're talking about" strategy advocated by Homer Simpson in meetings with foreign leaders.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vintersorg posted:

That can't be real.

It's definitely shopped. Very good job though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Good thing he wasn't holding a paper about eliminating the filibuster

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I can absolutely see Trump yelling at people around him in English, thinking that no one but the Americans would understand.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Your Taint posted:

Manafort looks like Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore.

Not really, no

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

white women, corn, pigs, soybeans, that one weird town full of orthodox jews and hispanic migrant laborers, mennonites

fried foods, corn, more corn, and punting.

so much punting

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Bring me Solo, etc, etc... beaten.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Your Taint posted:

I'm sure it could be aveterd by a literal dick measuring contest.
Both men would refuse to let anyone watch who could verify the accuracy of the measurement, and neither would claim a length of less than 18 inches.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Fart Amplifier posted:

I wanna be the first to livestream my own nuclear demise

WORLD STAAAAAAAAAAA-

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ularg posted:

It's an old white guy. Picture of him alone and most would guess he's republican.

Old

White

Guys

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 9, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Trump has aides print out screenshots of the cable news chryons during his speeches to see what they say about him.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/politics/trump-tv-chyrons/index.html

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Trumps lawyer:
https://twitter.com/jaysekulow/status/895325564101312512

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dick Trauma posted:

wearing a MAGA cap

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stairmaster posted:

they were able to capture lots of detonation images and videos with 1950s video technology, so I think we'll be fine. Hell, we can use drones and get reaaal close.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

We can rest easy with the clear assurance that he most certainly isn't listening to them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dietrich posted:

Old

White

Guys

Is it the last guy? I bet he's the republican. He looks so smarmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

coyo7e posted:

wearing a MAGA cap

Hm. "Fox, get this guy off me!" Yup, checks out.

• Locked thread