Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's pretty obvious that Sony thought they could do a film universe with Ghostbusters and didn't care what the quality was. Look at the Mummy reboot for another example of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

corn in the bible posted:

Kids love the smartphones right? They love text people and tweet

"Who's the biggest texting star we can get for this movie?"
"Texting doesn't have stars."
"You know, smartphone celebrities."
"You mean tweeting? I don't think Twitter..."
"Work out the details. Get a script by Monday. Now let's talk about the Snorks and Smurfs expanded universe."

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's only cause I knew these girls were funny.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's super not for everyone.

My favorite movies from the past 10 years or so are science fiction movies that aren't sequels or remakes of anything and don't have any action or anything exploding in them at all. Arrival is a movie that's just about Amy Adams trying to talk to these weird rear end aliens and there's no fight scenes at all and it's great and I loved it

It's also why Star Trek doesn't really work well as a big budget Hollywood movie because some of the best episodes are just the crew sitting around a table trying to figure out how to solve an ethical problem
I love the scene [spoiler]with the dumb military grunts setting up explosives.[/spoilers] You think the movie is going to take the typical hollywood turn, but then it turns right back on course. (off course?)

I liked plinket's re-edits of the GB movie. It helps show that he isn't just being a contrarian rear end in a top hat and the movie really would be better with some changes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Every studio trying to do the Marvel thing:

No.

Even the dumbest rubes who watch the worst poo poo can smell the desperation on your "cinematic universe". Stop it. I just saved you a ton of embarrassment and $600,000,000. You're welcome.

Universal especially. If someone has an amazing idea for a Dracula or Wolfman movie, do it. Ordaining from on high that you will have a Dracula or Wolfman movie so go get some underpaid writers is so transparent and dumb that kids won't even see it. Stop it.

A loving DEATH WISH MOVIE IN 2017??????!!!!!!!!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
This talk by a Sony executive explains everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have any of the non marvel cinematic universes panned out yet? It's too early to tell for star wars but rogue one has me worried

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eSporks posted:

I love the scene [spoiler]with the dumb military grunts setting up explosives.[/spoilers] You think the movie is going to take the typical hollywood turn, but then it turns right back on course. (off course?)

I liked plinket's re-edits of the GB movie. It helps show that he isn't just being a contrarian rear end in a top hat and the movie really would be better with some changes.

Those changes would be replacing everyone actor with someone different and replacing the script and the tone and the setting and not making a ghosbusters movie at all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have any of the non marvel cinematic universes panned out yet? It's too early to tell for star wars but rogue one has me worried

Justice League will make over $1 billion and DC will probably continue to limp along with theirs for a while just from that, but that's the only non-Marvel one I see going anywhere.

I think the Star Wars direct sequels will do great, but the spin offs might die off pretty quickly if the Han Solo movie is a flop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except all the DC movies have been awful. Marvel movies are often mediocre, but they are damned methodical in laying out how all the heroes fit together believably

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im so tired of all these ghost busters

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Who the hell would order Papa John's if they lived in NYC?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Honestly the answer to the whole Ghostbusters debacle doesn't take a genius to figure out. Ultimately the problem with the Ghostbusters remake... is that it's a Ghostbusters remake. The original movie is such a classic that no matter how hard you try and how good of a job you do, people are always going to compare it to the original and it just won't fare well because the original is so beloved. I don't care who you cast, who writes or directs it, or oh god, what gender the Ghostbusters are, making it in the first place is just setting yourself up for failure. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but an all-female Ghostbusters team was actually a good idea because then you have an excuse for when it inevitably bombs.

And you know what? Paul Fieg and the actresses from the movie have actually done good stuff in the past. I enjoyed Bridesmaids. But it's also a totally different style of humor. Ghostbusters was extremely dry and witty whereas Paul Fieg's wheelhouse is toilet humor. Bridesmaids was funny but Ghostbusters it was not and I dunno what the hell they were thinking aside from dollar signs. Probably nothing beyond the dollar signs, really. If the 2016 Ghostbusters was its own movie and didn't try to be Ghostbusters, people probably would have generally liked it.

Remaking Ghostbusters is like remaking Back to the Future, the Godfather or Jaws. You do it and people will revolt. They kind of got away with remaking Star Wars and Jurassic Park because they pretended those remakes were sequels. And that said, the Force Awakens was mediocre and holy gently caress was Jurassic World bad.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Justice League will make over $1 billion and DC will probably continue to limp along with theirs for a while just from that, but that's the only non-Marvel one I see going anywhere.

I think the Star Wars direct sequels will do great, but the spin offs might die off pretty quickly if the Han Solo movie is a flop.

So far the spin offs have been better than the direct sequels. But the next spin off and sequel both look really bad.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yug posted:

So far the spin offs have been better than the direct sequels.

Yug posted:

But the next spin off and sequel both look really bad.

naem
May 29, 2011

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Who the hell would order Papa John's if they lived in NYC?

the ghoss butters

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gammatron 64 posted:

If the 2016 Ghostbusters was its own movie and didn't try to be Ghostbusters, people probably would have generally liked it.

wrong, idiot

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think the Ghostbusters movie could've been passable if they had a script.

Before it came out I thought the picture of the cast that people passed around to get mad at showed that the movie did in fact have a commonality with the original in making the cast a bunch of normal people who don't look like movie action hero's.

Those clips of the ending alone show they did not.

Still, if instead of FIVE HOUR TAKES of pushing the cast to joke about a cartoon plot and ending up with this absolute poo poo they had written a script, maybe let the cast add some jokes, have moments where no one is talking, and in general had a sane production... They could've had something like post Lucas star wars.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I don't know why anyone thought adding a gimmick to the remake was going to change anything. No one bought into Robocop and I'm sure half of this thread forgot there was a Total Recall remake. None of these work because people who saw the originals don't need a remade version and the people who haven't seen it don't give a poo poo. They tried to remake Annie with a gimmick (black cast) and I completely forgot that existed before watching the Plinkett review.

Also I feel kinda bad calling changing gender/race of previously established characters a "gimmick" but that's basically how Sony is using these changes as.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vaguido posted:

I don't know why anyone thought adding a gimmick to the remake was going to change anything. No one bought into Robocop and I'm sure half of this thread forgot there was a Total Recall remake. None of these work because people who saw the originals don't need a remade version and the people who haven't seen it don't give a poo poo. They tried to remake Annie with a gimmick (black cast) and I completely forgot that existed before watching the Plinkett review.

Also I feel kinda bad calling changing gender/race of previously established characters a "gimmick" but that's basically how Sony is using these changes as.

it's weird because in the movie's actual plot its not even really important that they're women. like the college guy doesnt trust them because he... thinks ghosts aren't real. it has nothing to do with their vaginas.

if it were a normal movie, or hell, just a normal reboot, that'd be fine because, whatever, they just cast a bunch of funny people. the plot of alien 1 doesn't require ripley to be a woman and i don't really even remember scenes mentioning it; you could more or less do the same movie with a guy (not that I think it would be as good or anything, because sigourney weaver is fantastic, but you get my point). apart from a couple poo poo jokes, for how they marketed it you'd think it would, you know, actually be a thing that affects stuff rather than just an excuse for people not liking your trailer.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except all the DC movies have been awful. Marvel movies are often mediocre, but they are damned methodical in laying out how all the heroes fit together believably

Ummm excuse me but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5sB-lanlHA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

like for example, in ghostbusters bill murray is always hittin on ladies and exploiting them, especially in the opening where he's just faking everything so he can get laid. you could maybe do jokes about that character by switching the genders? except they don't do that at all?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Kate McKinnon really should have been the Venkman. Wiig is great as a stick in the mud and would have been better as the Egon.

Why they switched I have no idea, but it obviously extremely didn't work.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why did anyone have to be a venkman and an egon and a ray

why didnt they just write a different fuckin script

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Because that's not how any of this works.

But, just as far as simple character archetypes go, if you hire McKinnon and Wiig, and you have a beta character and an alpha character, it's pretty obvious who should play which.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Because that would require them to write a script and make new characters.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

"What I knew I had to do was to let my cast take control of the film." - Paul Feig

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly the answer to the whole Ghostbusters debacle doesn't take a genius to figure out. Ultimately the problem with the Ghostbusters remake... is that it's a Ghostbusters remake. The original movie is such a classic that no matter how hard you try and how good of a job you do, people are always going to compare it to the original and it just won't fare well because the original is so beloved.

It's this. No matter how good the script, nothing would have saved it from comparison to the original, and the original is literally a perfect movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

monster on a stick posted:

"What I knew I had to do was to let my cast take control of the film." - Paul Feig

This is the Ghostbusters version of the "It's so dense" line from Rick McCallum.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
oh hell yes a plinkett ghostbusters review

time for some woman hating chuckles

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The thing that I keep hearing about the female cast that's strikes me as so weird is that people keep saying "it's so little girls can have role models." Wait, what? Since when were the Ghostbusters role models for anyone? Peter Venkman was a creep and a conman, Ray was a manchild, Egon was an emotionless weirdo and all of them were just in it for the money. Winston was probably the only decent human being in the crew and he was still just in it for the money. They didn't bust ghosts out of the kindness of their hearts, they just wanted fame, fortune and pussy.

And then if you look at the new Ghostbusters, I wouldn't want my daughter to look at it and go "I want to be like one of those people!" either.

Yug posted:

So far the spin offs have been better than the direct sequels. But the next spin off and sequel both look really bad.

Yeah I've read some leaks for the plot of Episode 8 and heard about the poo poo going on with Han Solo and hooooooo boy Disney Star Wars might actually be worse than the prequels and the old EU. I thought it was great that they hit the reset button but boy was I wrong

WampaLord posted:

It's this. No matter how good the script, nothing would have saved it from comparison to the original, and the original is literally a perfect movie.

Yep. It is. Ghostbusters was catching lightning in a bottle and it doesn't strike in the same place twice. Back to the Future is another perfect movie and thankfully Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale fight tooth and nail to prevent another movie from ever happening and it won't happen until they're both dead. A remake of Ghostbusters should have never been made, and if there were ever going to do Ghostbusters 3, they should have made it in the late 90s or maybe even the early 2000s at the very, very latest.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How many ghosts have they busted, Rich? How many ghosts?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Berious posted:

oh hell yes a plinkett ghostbusters review

time for some woman hating chuckles

You're going to be as disappointed as someone who watched Ghostbusters

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I wonder if this attempt at a Ghost Busters cinematic universe (lol) has negatively impacted proton pack Halloween costumes

WampaLord posted:

As can be said for Willy Wonka, Total Recall, Robocop, The Thing (I know the 'original' was a remake but it was what the re-remake was trying to ape), whenever they try to remake Top Gun or Back to The Future or ____________________.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 9, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I wonder if this attempt at a Ghost Busters cinematic universe (lol) has negatively impacted proton pack Halloween costumes

I just bought a literal truck load of Ghostbuster costumes. I'm so hosed.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wait, what? Since when were the Ghostbusters role models for anyone? Peter Venkman was a creep and a conman, Ray was a manchild, Egon was an emotionless weirdo and all of them were just in it for the money. Winston was probably the only decent human being in the crew and he was still just in it for the money. They didn't bust ghosts out of the kindness of their hearts, they just wanted fame, fortune and pussy.

Seems like you answered your own question here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Thing works as a remake because it's a fundamentally different movie.

See also: the Fly and Scarface

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

As can be said for Willy Wonka, Total Recall, Robocop, The Thing (I know the 'original' was a remake but it was what the re-remake was trying to ape), whenever they try to remake Top Gun or Back to The Future or ____________________.

It's almost like today movies are completely disposable, are immediately forgotten, never leave a lasting impression and ape older, better movies for brand recognition so they make money

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I never did end up seeing Ghostbusters 2016 because I thought it looked like poo poo, and by the end of the summer I had kinda forgotten it existed tbh

When I saw that this was the next Plinkett review, I thought "what's the point, everyone's forgotten it existed, and since it tanked it sorta seems like kicking someone when they're down"

Of course I watched the review anyway, and now that I have a better picture of what's actually in the movie I can honestly say that Ghostbusters 2016, along with Sony and its hilarious culture warrior defenders, deserve every ounce of poo poo that they caught and may continue to catch from here to eternity. What a loving disaster.

As a side note, was that awful scene with the Jimmy Fallon guy flailing his hands and giving the finger actually in the theatrical release, or was it only in the extended version? I'd like to hope the editor cut it out of the regular version.

Finally--why didn't Melissa McCarthy just go downstairs and ask for more wontons? Your office is right above the loving Chinese restaurant for gently caress's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sheen Sheen posted:

As a side note, was that awful scene with the Jimmy Fallon guy flailing his hands and giving the finger actually in the theatrical release, or was it only in the extended version? I'd like to hope the editor cut it out of the regular version.

It's in the theatrical cut. I swear he does it for about 15 minutes.

• Locked thread