Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stumiester posted:

I'm looking at Mass Effect: Andromeda on sale and thinking about it. I loved ME1-3 so much and I enjoyed DA:I too. Problem is, I also think I'd enjoy Horizon:Zero Dawn and Nioh, neither of which I've played and both of which are on sale.

Has ME:A now improved and got rid of its bugs and animation issues?

Horizon Zero Dawn is a must-have for the system if you enjoy any sort of open-world sci-fi and Andromeda was so bad it killed an entire subdivision of Bioware and the Mass Effect franchise. I say this as like the biggest Mass Effect fan in the world prior to 2017, avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I believe there's an Andromeda demo now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is a must-have for the system if you enjoy any sort of open-world sci-fi and Andromeda was so bad it killed an entire subdivision of Bioware and the Mass Effect franchise. I say this as like the biggest Mass Effect fan in the world prior to 2017, avoid.

It's this. HZD is one of the best new IPs of the last couple years. Really hope they continue to build on and refine it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Stumiester posted:

I'm looking at Mass Effect: Andromeda on sale and thinking about it. I loved ME1-3 so much and I enjoyed DA:I too. Problem is, I also think I'd enjoy Horizon:Zero Dawn and Nioh, neither of which I've played and both of which are on sale.

Has ME:A now improved and got rid of its bugs and animation issues?

It has gotten rid of bugs and animation issues. If you liked all the other Bioware games and like ME more for the combat and can enjoy a macro-senseless plot that has a lot,of good character moments, ME:A might be serviceable. I liked it OK.

But H:ZD is one of the best games ever made so absolutely get that first.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
but what's the gameplay like in me:a? is it at least fun to run round and shoot people?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MZ posted:

Is it worth getting any of the DLC for Just Cause 3? The jetpack looks like a bit of a game-changer.....

I'm gonna because it's on sale for $10 right now instead of $25. Will post back.

How long does it take for Yakuza 0 to get going? I'm in chapter 2 and it's some metal gear level cutscene to game play ratio so far. I played 3 so I'm aware of chatting and going to convenience stores and playing ufo catcher.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

We still ranking Soulsborne games? Cause if so:

BB
DS1
DeS
DS2
DS3

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it not a complete break from the first two games/spinoff/anime storyline then?
No, they didn't lie about that. But there's enough lovely stuff in there, coupled with the fact most DR fans are of the crazier kind, that I imagine there'll be a lot of pissed off or entitled rants to laugh at.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Adam Vegas posted:

We still ranking Soulsborne games? Cause if so:

BB
DS1
DeS
DS2
DS3

Yes

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm gonna because it's on sale for $10 right now instead of $25. Will post back.

How long does it take for Yakuza 0 to get going? I'm in chapter 2 and it's some metal gear level cutscene to game play ratio so far. I played 3 so I'm aware of chatting and going to convenience stores and playing ufo catcher.

I believe chapter 3 is when they start letting you loose for dancing and karaoke and whatnot. I need to play Yakuza 0 some more. Such a charming game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been enjoying Just Cause 3 lately. Some of the challenges are dumb and having to sit through the load each time to restart them is a bit of a pain in the rear end, but whatever, the game is fun and my gf likes to watch me play it so everyone's happy.

I really love the un-garage-d car detector, despite it crushing any progress I can make in the game.

"Oh I'll just go to this mission and I- oh wait there's a car I don't have."
*drives to garage*
"Okay, that's done, time to- wait that boat is new too I think?"
*drives to garage*
"And awaaaaay we g- gently caress I need that lovely truck, gimme."
*drives to garage*

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Civilised people should spell out their acronyms.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's pretty long winded imo. This is my first game, but it still slows to a crawl until like chapter 9? This is my first one so I don't know if this is normal for the series, but you switch characters every two chapters. This unfortunately means that tutorials and other consequential missions are doubled in time because you have to do them for both characters. I finished the first 8 chapters and took a break to play FFV, and I remember thinking that I needed some action to break up the cutscenes. Chapters 9 and 10 have been an appropriate length for me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game never shuts the gently caress up from start to finish so if it's annoying you at chapter 2 you're in for a looooi nnngggg ride. I liked the game though but I was skipping most of the non essential cutscenes at the end. The majority of them where repeating what another character just said like :

makoto: mojima I have to go to the store
Mojoma: ok I understand you have to go to the store. How can I get you to the store? I think I saw a store in the Store District.
Mojima: makoto, lets go to a store

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Mass Effect will be back in like 5 years. It'll probably be pretty good, because of all the poo poo that went down with Andromeda.

Pretty much what happened with DA2>DA:I.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Inquisition was very mediocre

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think when it was released. People thought it was really good until the Witcher 3 came out and showed everyone how much better it can be.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Dragon age Inquisition and assassins creed syndicate are the 2 most mediocre games I've ever seen. Distinctly average. I get that people have had fun with them but they are 2 games that have been bettered a dozen times over.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
mediocre games are okay

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Yah neither game is "bad", they are both the equivalent of a plain cheese sandwich. It'll do but Jesus i need some pickle or mustard or butter or something.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

MZ posted:

Is it worth getting any of the DLC for Just Cause 3? The jetpack looks like a bit of a game-changer.....

Think I posted about this before. If you're having fun with the wingsuit, the jetpack is awesome and even unupgraded you're flying around shooting missiles, I imagine if you fully upgrade it you're basically a fighter jet. The other two DLCs are kind of alright but they're not as good as I wished they were. The rocket boat is cool but you don't often need a boat and the mech is cool but good luck going anywhere with it. The jetpack you will use all day. The extra guns the DLCs give you are questionably useful at best, and the setpieces they put in for their missions aren't hugely interesting but if you have fun with the game and want to buy the expansions, it does give you another thing to do and a couple new things to tool around with.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I'm late for souls ranking but

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3

Eternal Ring

Bloodborne

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Liver Disaster posted:

I'm late for souls ranking but

Chromehounds

some other bullshit i guess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real best Souls game is Metal Wolf Chaos, followed by Another Century's Episode 2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

The main premise is awesome and exploring a different galaxy could be amazing but it squanders all potential almost immediately.

I know the irony is lost of the game's creators, but I love that your hub is an in-story shittier, underwritten, near derelict unfinished knockoff of the Citadel.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh my God it's FromSoftware dark fantasy ranking time.

Bloodborne
Demon's Souls
King's Field: The Ancient City
King's Field II
King's Field
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Dark Souls III
Shadow Tower: Abyss
Dark Souls
Kuon
Eternal Ring
Shadow Tower
Dark Souls II
King's Field (Japan)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macarius Wrench posted:

Yah neither game is "bad", they are both the equivalent of a plain cheese sandwich. It'll do but Jesus i need some pickle or mustard or butter or something.

Both of them get big bonuses from the previous game being a complete disaster (DA2 and AC: Unity).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Best Souls game is clearly Surge, followed by Salt & Sanctuary, followed by Hellblade, followed by Crash Bandicoot.

Obviously.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Honestly mechanically dks2 was the best, and remaking the rest of the souls games in a system that supports a simple thing like 'if the sword goes over my head I take no damage' it would be a dramatic improvement.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like Souls fans are always weirdly permissive of bullshit hitboxes in ways the certainly would not be for non-From Software games but you know :darksouls:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

For anyone playing The Last Guardian, similar to SotC they don't tell you about the 'look at trico'-button, which is L1, I think.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Souls fans are always weirdly permissive of bullshit hitboxes in ways the certainly would not be for non-From Software games but you know :darksouls:

Honestly it doesn't come up often unless you play a lot.

Though when it does it's kind of hilarious.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Uhhh no people definitely complain about bad hitboxes in dark souls 2 a lot. I just enjoy the game more than the others because the things that it does well are more important to me than the things it does badly.

What bothers me in general is that from still hasn't made one of these games that I'd say is clearly better than the last in every way. Every souls game, as well as bloodborne if you consider it similar enough to group with them, does something better and something worse than any of the other ones. But there's the same fundamental idea behind all the games, which they have had years to refine and improve. So I'd expect a lot more improvement between each game than we've actually experienced, and it's why I'm more critical of from's games than most here. They're all good games but there is some missed potential for improvement

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I really didn't like DA:I at first but I kept playing it because I had nothing else to play and it was pretty low-stress. i'm now about 40 hours in and it's weirdly captivating. it scratches the same itch as idle clicker games for when i'm too tired or hungover to play a real game. there is far too much talking in parts though. to get your companions side quests it's about 45minutes of talking until you've exhausted all options before they say 'hey can you do this?' so I have just started skipping all non main quest related dialogue. The idea of the game play being engaging enough to make me want to sit through dialogue like that is laughable.
a version with a cliff notes style audio edit that trimmed most conversations to 15% of what they currently are would be perfect.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

Uhhh no people definitely complain about bad hitboxes in dark souls 2 a lot. I just enjoy the game more than the others because the things that it does well are more important to me than the things it does badly.

What bothers me in general is that from still hasn't made one of these games that I'd say is clearly better than the last in every way. Every souls game, as well as bloodborne if you consider it similar enough to group with them, does something better and something worse than any of the other ones. But there's the same fundamental idea behind all the games, which they have had years to refine and improve. So I'd expect a lot more improvement between each game than we've actually experienced, and it's why I'm more critical of from's games than most here. They're all good games but there is some missed potential for improvement

Where's your ranking you GODDAMN TROGLODYTE ??

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I really didn't like DA:I at first but I kept playing it because I had nothing else to play and it was pretty low-stress. i'm now about 40 hours in and it's weirdly captivating. it scratches the same itch as idle clicker games for when i'm too tired or hungover to play a real game. there is far too much talking in parts though. to get your companions side quests it's about 45minutes of talking until you've exhausted all options before they say 'hey can you do this?' so I have just started skipping all non main quest related dialogue. The idea of the game play being engaging enough to make me want to sit through dialogue like that is laughable.
a version with a cliff notes style audio edit that trimmed most conversations to 15% of what they currently are would be perfect.

Inquisition can be meta gamed into a pretty fun experience. When you know what poo poo to skip or the most painless ways to do some of the tedious poo poo, there's a decent game in there. If you're on PC, just giving yourself materials and schematics can cut a huge amount of busywork.

Mass Effect Andromeda is unsalvageable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly it doesn't come up often unless you play a lot.

Though when it does it's kind of hilarious.

I did a running jump and roll in BB to dodge a combo of attacks by Ludwig and felt like a huge badass until the next claw swipe smacked me in the face. :v:

I also jumped over a boulder somehow.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I still like Demon's the best but it was my first and it came at a pretty great time in my life. Dark 1 is also special just comparing how much it grew. 2, 3 and BB are fun but didn't have the same impact anymore for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok here's the ranking

I like the games