Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mary had a little clam posted:

Agreed. Earlier in the thread, I called Lynch a master troll but I did so with a sense of delight, because in his case it feels like he's using deliberate unsatisfying or counterintuitive filmmaking to make a broader statement or riff on a broader theme (which is not to say he never makes mistakes!).

For example, I really like that in one scene, Lynch will hang on disturbing action (Richard Horne assaulting his grandma while Johnny is tied down and that bear is endlessly looping) and leave the viewer begging for him to cut away. Instead, he makes you watch all of it and feel rough feelings. Then, in the next, you'll want to see more for longer and he'll skip away (Dougie playing ball with Sonny Jim, perhaps, or what's going on in Sarah's house). Then, he'll cut to something completely out of left field (Episode 8, etc) when you're ready to get back to the mystery.

To me, that feels like deliberate toying with the viewer, but it never feels like a college film student doing it just to do it, it feels like Lynch wants to evoke reflection and consideration.

Or maybe he's just a crazy old coot and he's fooled us all, that scoundrel. Either way, TPtR is the best hour on television right now, bar none.

I feel like its a neat trick to get you to pay attention to these strong interpersonal scenes. By changing tone so often and leaving you guessing what is important and what isn't you find yourself deeply engrossed in lives of regular old boring folk. It's a lot of what lost tried to achieve with its whole "the story was always about the characters, not the island" ending. But lost failed miserably because the characters were awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

All sorts of otherwise normal, intelligent people still love wrestling these days. It's completely bizarre

Wrestling's alternative realities and kayfabe often make more sense than our current reality and kayfabe (and even have overlapping characters now).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

My co-host just called me excitedly while editing to suggest that one of the reasons the chronology is so hosed is because they planned on having a fair amount of it be entire episodes based around one storyline - so for instance we get all the Dougie stuff at once, all the Hastings stuff at once etc (or very close to this) but then someone along the line demanded that say, it all had to be spread out equally, or that they couldn't go too many episodes without any MacLachlan, so they had to re-order it.

Aside from my skepticism that anyone would try and force this on Lynch/he would be ok with it, it actually makes a lot of sense.

I also considered these two things I've read but don't have a backup for as part of the overall reason. Could anyone tell me if these were proven in any way, or just poo poo people made up?
- Lynch originally wanted the 18 hours to be aired in episodes of different lengths, so say one 2hr episode, then one 3hr episode, etc
- Lynch and Frost only wrote the 9-hour version together and then when they got extended Frost went and wrote the Secret History Book while Lynch just kept on writing and adding in extra scenes

Oh my God, of COURSE you have a podcast. lol. hahahahahahahahaha. Holy poo poo, it's perfect.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Escobarbarian posted:

My co-host just called me excitedly while editing to suggest that one of the reasons the chronology is so hosed is because they planned on having a fair amount of it be entire episodes based around one storyline - so for instance we get all the Dougie stuff at once, all the Hastings stuff at once etc (or very close to this) but then someone along the line demanded that say, it all had to be spread out equally, or that they couldn't go too many episodes without any MacLachlan, so they had to re-order it.

Aside from my skepticism that anyone would try and force this on Lynch/he would be ok with it, it actually makes a lot of sense.

I dunno man, you really think, like, 4 solid hours of Dougie poo poo back-to-back would be better than the way it is currently? Or if we had to watch two full hours of Richard Horne terrorizing people without any clue about what else was happening in the universe of the show?

Gordon, Tammy, Albert, and Diane's story is the only one I imagine being watchable in that format.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the idea that david lynch didn't care about episode splits was totally disproven with episode 12. That is a meticulously crafted hour. It's crafted to piss you off, but still.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I don't have any official insight, but I did read same report about Lynch padding out the original 9 episodes while Frost disappeared to write the book. This totally makes sense, because while I adore the series, there's some very bizarre editing and pacing issues like Bill Hastings vanishing for like, eight episodes. Or Audrey and Ed not appearing until the final third of the series.

It's very obvious splitting up this giant 18 hour chunk of footage into self-contained episodes was an afterthought. It makes it a super interesting and unpredictable watch, but I can totally see how it would just piss some viewers off.
I get a lot of enjoyment out, maybe even more than watching a really good show/movie, dissecting and unearthing production woes/shenanigans that can explain the final product. I think it's fascinating how film/tv is produced due to how large teams and personalities are.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It definitely feels like the pacing was written for the weekly format especially with how you're left to stew on certain revelations for a week before your understanding of a situation is flipped on its head.

The Dougie plotline has been the monster of the week format for most of the show and I can't imagine it working as well if it was presented in one straight cut.

I'm not saying it's impossible that he recut everything in a way that works cause he already did the opposite with Mulholland Drive, but there's very little reason to assume that he did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

Oh my God, of COURSE you have a podcast. lol. hahahahahahahahaha. Holy poo poo, it's perfect.

I've posted about it like, a trillion times. You'd know this if you didn't only come into this thread to troll

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

HD DAD posted:

I don't have any official insight, but I did read same report about Lynch padding out the original 9 episodes while Frost disappeared to write the book. This totally makes sense, because while I adore the series, there's some very bizarre editing and pacing issues like Bill Hastings vanishing for like, eight episodes. Or Audrey and Ed not appearing until the final third of the series.

That can't be true because, like you said, they weren't written as episodes. It was all one script. Also, episode 12 was the one that got the most complaints about filler.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I've posted about it like, a trillion times. You'd know this if you didn't only come into this thread to troll

Wow, your podcast that you post about a trillion times in the Twin Peaks thread sounds really cool. What's it called? Is it I'm a loving weiner man?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

sector_corrector posted:

It's a good podcast Brent.

Who is Richard going to arm wrestle now that he's showed up at the farm?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He will arm wrestle The Arm at the farm to avoid harm to his....marm.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I liked how Ray somehow thought that Renzo had a chance despite seeing all the paranormal poo poo surrounding Coop and apparently working for Jeffries.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Renzo was played by Jason Vorhees, which is extra awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was also Kickpuncher in all the fake film clips in Community.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly it's pretty amazing just how well they've tied everything together given the gigantic number of characters in the show that they've had to bring back. Ben Horne and Bobby Briggs' face turns have been owned but also felt totally consistent with how you might expect their characters to develop over 20 years.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I liked how Ray somehow thought that Renzo had a chance despite seeing all the paranormal poo poo surrounding Coop and apparently working for Jeffries.

well, Ray was pretty nervous and definitely wanted to just shoot Coop, but Renzo was pretty insistent

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah he should've clarified that he really did kill that guy

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I liked Ray, and Hastings too. I wish we had seen more of them, they were gone for so long and then just killed off.

I liked the moment where the gang all realized that Renzo was done. Ray's "Oh gently caress" and the other thugs instantly making eye contact with Mr C and disarming Ray.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can someone hit me with that gif of Sizemore huddling behind his blinds and saying oh poo poo because more people need to see it stat.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cromulent posted:

I liked Ray, and Hastings too. I wish we had seen more of them, they were gone for so long and then just killed off.

I agree, even though their death scenes were really well done I would have liked to see more done with them. Hasting's website rules, I'd have loved to have seen more of that side of him before he turned into a mess.

I don't think we've seen the last of Ray though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Shageletic posted:

Can someone hit me with that gif of Sizemore huddling behind his blinds and saying oh poo poo because more people need to see it stat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lmao that gif deserves fame above its station.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, here's something I don't understand, and maybe it's because I just flat-out missed it when it was somehow explained.

The whole Dougie/Coop/Booper thing. Good Coop was in the Black Lodge for however long (25 years), meanwhile, Booper was out and running amok. Now, according to the TP wiki:

quote:

After escaping the Black Lodge, Dale Cooper's doppelganger was destined to return there at 2:53 p.m. around twenty-five years later. The doppelganger "manufactured" Dougie Jones sometime before 2014, so that Dougie would be the one to return in his place. Dougie was in possession of the ring, which he wore on his left arm. His earliest records dated to 1997.

Where was what I bolded ever explained? Again, maybe it was, and I just flat-out missed it, so I'd love to rewatch the scene.

Ninja edit: Ok... so.... reading further down...

quote:

He was then transported to a red room in The Black Lodge, where MIKE told him that he had been manufactured by someone for a purpose that had now been fulfilled.

I guess my only real question is, where were we told that Booper or Dougie would be destined to be pulled back into the Black Lodge 25 years later at 2:53 pm?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The giant or someone says "2 5 3" and then it's 2:53 when Evil Coop starts to be sick in the car. We weren't told it, but we can surmise it (not sure about the 25 years though as we don't have definite dates, but it makes sense)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess my only real question is, where were we told that Booper or Dougie would be destined to be pulled back into the Black Lodge 25 years later at 2:53 pm?

Cryptic as all black lodge nonsense is, the only reference to 2:53 was the arm mentioning the number to Cooper, which I think was right before he went NON-EXISTENT.

The arm sounded like it said 257 but the subtitles said 253. That could mean something or it could not.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Mike tells the original Dougie in the lodge that he was designed for a purpose and that the purpose was fulfilled. Given he got sucked into the lodge and Booper didn't, we can surmise based off of that that Booper created him to be his own fall guy.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Mr C straight up tells Darya, in one of the more "I can't believe they were that explicit" exposition moments. They're in the hotel bed and he says "Tomorrow I'm supposed to be pulled back to what they call The Black Lodge..."

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Dougie was only created so that Coop had an alternate destination. It's not because of Dougie that Coop didn't return to normal it's because The Arm's doppleganger intervened at the moment Coop was supposed to hop out. Dougie himself was just a soul trap.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ok, here's something I don't understand, and maybe it's because I just flat-out missed it when it was somehow explained.

The whole Dougie/Coop/Booper thing. Good Coop was in the Black Lodge for however long (25 years), meanwhile, Booper was out and running amok. Now, according to the TP wiki:

Where was what I bolded ever explained? Again, maybe it was, and I just flat-out missed it, so I'd love to rewatch the scene.

Ninja edit: Ok... so.... reading further down...

like the first 3 episodes, its all badcoopers deal, ray mentioning how badcooper is worried about tomorrow, them telling good coop he can leave tomorrow. voice on the radio telling badcooper hes going back in tomorrow. the arm says 253 and the time when the car crash happens is 2:53. we dont know why he only got 25 years, not yet anyway. they have been going out of their way to show and tell you the dates and times for each plot thread and how it the one in twin peaks might be hosed up

anywho, fun fact i'm just finding out now, Welcome to Twin Peaks: Access Guide to the Town from 1991 written by lynch and frost practically confirms who/what/wherefrom, the frog bug thing is from part 8. mentions its symbol of the frog clan that comes from the house that floats on the lake... poo poo, maybe it really is laura and the girl really is sarah. D:

also given what we know now about the ring transporting you to the lodge when you die... i think laura went to the lodge when bob killed her, its why mike through her the ring and they brought her back to life? also might explain why bob wanted to posses laura if shes meant to be white lodge jesus or something.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was one of the best episodes this season, imo.

That's a bit narcissistic, don't you think? Which episode were you? ;)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

tap my mountain posted:

Dougie was only created so that Coop had an alternate destination. It's not because of Dougie that Coop didn't return to normal it's because The Arm's doppleganger intervened at the moment Coop was supposed to hop out. Dougie himself was just a soul trap.

think he was also there to trick the lodge rules so badcooper doesnt go back in, i guess the corn puke is meant to be the trigger hook or some poo poo.

since badcooper would have known the exact time this would happen i wonder if crashing his car to end up in the jail was part of the plan seems abit over the top but sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, after these posts and reading more and more of the wiki, this whole show makes a lot more sense. It's still weird as gently caress, but goddamn, I feel like I'm actually following it now. :toot:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Vikar Jerome posted:

think he was also there to trick the lodge rules so badcooper doesnt go back in, i guess the corn puke is meant to be the trigger hook or some poo poo.

since badcooper would have known the exact time this would happen i wonder if crashing his car to end up in the jail was part of the plan seems abit over the top but sure.

Ending up in jail absolutely was the plan once he found out Ray was there. He needed to get to Ray for the coordinates he knew. Mr. C learned from the Darya phone call that Ray had gotten in the federal prison for bringing guns over the state line. He proceeds to "hack" into gov files on that particular prison. After killing Hastings' wife we find him driving his car - presumably over the state line - and discover later that he had a large gun in the trunk. He also had that dog's leg and that "Mr. Strawberry" dirt on the warden.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

...! posted:

That's a bit narcissistic, don't you think? Which episode were you? ;)

Im actually episode 12, but I meant "it was", so I was talking about 13

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

Ending up in jail absolutely was the plan once he found out Ray was there. He needed to get to Ray for the coordinates he knew. Mr. C learned from the Darya phone call that Ray had gotten in the federal prison for bringing guns over the state line. He proceeds to "hack" into gov files on that particular prison. After killing Hastings' wife we find him driving his car - presumably over the state line - and discover later that he had a large gun in the trunk. He also had that dog's leg and that "Mr. Strawberry" dirt on the warden.

yeah i just intentionally crashing his car to get arrested while also trying to stop himself from getting pulled into another dimension at the same time felt like he was doing too much multitasking.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah i just intentionally crashing his car to get arrested while also trying to stop himself from getting pulled into another dimension at the same time felt like he was doing too much multitasking.

The crash was, what Lynch would call, a "happy accident" :thumbsup:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The sad thing is what gonna happen to Jane and the kid. Their father and husband was a lie. The man she's been with is gonna wake up and leave her. It's gonna be sad either way, I really like them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sizemore is such a badass name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

RBX posted:

The sad thing is what gonna happen to Jane and the kid. Their father and husband was a lie. The man she's been with is gonna wake up and leave her. It's gonna be sad either way, I really like them.

After he's gone they'll just move to a farm and be fine until a weird looking Joseph Gordon Levitt walks out of the corn and then Sonny Jim gets shot in the cheek by Bruce Willis and then time skip another 25 years for Twin Peaks: Season 4, Looper 2