Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They are cool for some stuff, like my mom's thinking of getting one to do flyovers of her farmland to spot stuff,

ugh I loving HAT DRONES REEEEEEEEEEERGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The schaden is all of you old farts who still desperately cling to the dream of a sequel to Half-Life. You clung to the dream of Duke Nukem Forever getting finished, too, and look what that got you when it finally happened. The sooner you let it go and move on with your lives, the happier you'll all be.

Yeah, it's never going to happen while all their other games print money from selling cosmetics and whatever the gently caress the DOTA Compendium (Companion?) is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRtVT7gfkzY

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's the face of a girl who is suddenly going through various options of how to make her dad's body disappear after she inevitably murders him.

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011
I honestly don't get why everyone always assumes that people are dying for a new half life game when most of the other valve games are way more fun than that series. TF2 was fun, L4D was fun, Portal was fun, Setting up turrets in nova prospekt was boring as balls.

I guess the schaden is on me for wanting something new and different from the most overrated developers in games history.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Beemo posted:

I honestly don't get why everyone always assumes that people are dying for a new half life game when most of the other valve games are way more fun than that series. TF2 was fun, L4D was fun, Portal was fun, Setting up turrets in nova prospekt was boring as balls.

I guess the schaden is on me for wanting something new and different from the most overrated developers in games history.

To be fair, HL2 is literally 13 years old at this point. When it came out, a lot of it was pretty goddamn groundbreaking as far as FPSs went. Actually discernible facial animations, a detailed physics simulation embedded into gameplay, a story that's told indirectly in a very immersive fashion, a number of unique enemies and weapons, and all of that based on an engine that turned out to be one of the most versatile and lasting engines in the industry. Setting up turrets in Nova Prospect was cool at the time because few (or perhaps no) other games at the time allowed you to just pick up a thing, plop it down anywhere, and watch as it's rocked back and forth and eventually knocked over by enemy gunfire.

Of course, the rest of the genre quickly caught up to that level and eventually eclipsed it, and now much of that is fairly standard fare. But at the time it came out, it just blew our minds. So apparently quite a few people are hoping that a theoretical Half Life 3 would be another massive leap forward like that, no matter whether that's actually possible or feasible.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

sandoz posted:

ugh I loving HAT DRONES REEEEEEEEEEERGH

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Perestroika posted:

To be fair, HL2 is literally 13 years old at this point. When it came out, a lot of it was pretty goddamn groundbreaking as far as FPSs went. Actually discernible facial animations, a detailed physics simulation embedded into gameplay, a story that's told indirectly in a very immersive fashion, a number of unique enemies and weapons, and all of that based on an engine that turned out to be one of the most versatile and lasting engines in the industry. Setting up turrets in Nova Prospect was cool at the time because few (or perhaps no) other games at the time allowed you to just pick up a thing, plop it down anywhere, and watch as it's rocked back and forth and eventually knocked over by enemy gunfire.

Of course, the rest of the genre quickly caught up to that level and eventually eclipsed it, and now much of that is fairly standard fare. But at the time it came out, it just blew our minds. So apparently quite a few people are hoping that a theoretical Half Life 3 would be another massive leap forward like that, no matter whether that's actually possible or feasible.

I liked Wing Commander but how many Star Citizens do we need before we decide that if something isn't meant to be it isn't meant to be

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Perestroika posted:

So apparently quite a few people are hoping that a theoretical Half Life 3 would be another massive leap forward like that, no matter whether that's actually possible or feasible.

Data Graham posted:

I liked Wing Commander but how many Star Citizens do we need before we decide that if something isn't meant to be it isn't meant to be

This is quickly turning into a video game thread, but DOOM (2016) shows that you can take an old game, put it in front of actual good devs who 'get it', and get back an amazing AAA title. The Shadenfreude's on the publisher for thinking people know and remember Doom for it's deathmatch of all loving things, then tried to sell multiplayer DLC when literally the entire player base is waving around their wallets for more single player missions. Idjuts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Perestroika posted:

I wouldn't really give too much of a poo poo if Half-Life Episode 3 or whatnot is basically the same iterative improvement as Episode 2 was. I just want some kind of conclusion to the storyline.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aerdan posted:

Except that management literally cannot assign him anyone to work with after he posted that poo poo. No woman will want to work with him, and many men will be disgusted enough to want to punch him in the face.

Grown-ups in every industry routinely have fruitful professional relationships with people they don't actually like and would not enjoy discussing politics with over a few beers after work. That does not constitute a hostile work environment.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:lol:

Also:
https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/Yz8t9mQ.gif&v=svBfPq8OkZM&s=7

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phanatic posted:

Grown-ups in every industry routinely have fruitful professional relationships with people they don't actually like and would not enjoy discussing politics with over a few beers after work. That does not constitute a hostile work environment.

Having lovely opinions and working at a company is different than having lovely opinions and working at a company where you use company resources to distribute your lovely opinion to 40,000 people at that company.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paul Manafort just got raided by the FBI.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Well it does if the person has put in writing that he thinks you are inferior to him because of his gender. Everyone sucks, you just don't put in writing how much you suck at work.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/895283559128236033

e: beaten!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This is my most favourite gif ever. Probably the best prank ever too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hanales posted:

Well it does if the person has put in writing that he thinks you are inferior to him because of his gender.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/the-most-common-error-in-coverage-of-the-google-memo/536181/?utm_source=fbb

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

My bad

The Sicilian posted:

Stop spreading misinformation, this was overturned by court order earlier this year.

http://www.popsci.com/court-overturns-rule-requiring-drone-registration

Didn't know it was misinformation. Yeesh

I'm pretty upset that got overturned though. Joe Schmoe should not be allowed to fly drones without at least some education and regulation.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

quote:

I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don’t endorse using stereotypes. But,

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

My bad

Didn't know it was misinformation. Yeesh

I'm pretty upset that got overturned though. Joe Schmoe should not be allowed to fly drones without at least some education and regulation.

The Executive Branch also shouldn't be able to do stuff Congress explicitly said it can't do, which I think is a bigger problem than hobbyist drones.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

sandoz posted:

I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don’t endorse using stereotypes. But,

I've highlighted the bit that you wrote that wasn't in the original.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

hanales posted:

Well it does if the person has put in writing that he thinks you are inferior to him because of his gender. Everyone sucks, you just don't put in writing how much you suck at work.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/895283559128236033

e: beaten!

It wasn't just now, actually-- this happened two weeks ago, but only leaked out an hour ago (because Mueller et al are actually pretty competent).

The schadenfreude, I suppose, is on Trump here. Manafort was raided in the early morning of July 26. Trump (clearly) thought that it would become widely known during the day, judging by the fact that he went on an unusually wild tizzy that day.

https://twitter.com/DonnieCalabrese/status/895288737571250176

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Measly Twerp posted:

:chloe:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

jesus loving christ

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Whether one regards those suggestions as brilliant, rooted in pernicious gender stereotypes, or anywhere in between, they are clearly and explicitly suggestions to increase diversity in a manner the author regards as having a stronger chance of actually working than some of the tactics that he is critiquing.

Hey guys, I've been studying a lot of phrenology lately, I'm not saying I think black people should be slaves, I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't promote those that are more dispositioned to serve. I'm just trying to help the company out here folks.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

belt posted:

Hey guys, I've been studying a lot of phrenology lately, I'm not saying I think black people should be slaves, I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't promote those that are more dispositioned to serve. I'm just trying to help the company out here folks.

uh exc use me he did NOT say that in the article,

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvg1CKBE20

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao small arms & falcons.

There's something...disturbing about the turbine rotating like that. It looks like the plane is about to take a huge poo poo. No F-35 pun intended.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Double Punctuation posted:

The Executive Branch also shouldn't be able to do stuff Congress explicitly said it can't do, which I think is a bigger problem than hobbyist drones.

Forgot we're only allowed to complain about one problem at a time

I agree with every word you said there by the way

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Aug 9, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3914586/Googles-Ideological-Echo-Chamber.pdf
pages 4-6 are mansplaining capped with whining about diversity reqs

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

YRNTAT? I don't get it.

Textual over emphasis, with each line representing a vocal pause.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I read this and immediately had an erection lasting eight or more hours.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/CityofWichita/status/893493722872262656

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Memento posted:

Valve announced a game and it wasn't Half Life Three.

Is there a list somewhere of all the projects that have taken less time than the development of HF3.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

This is the equivalent of the politifacts mostly true rating.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Comstar posted:

Is there a list somewhere of all the projects that have taken less time than the development of HF3.
There's no such thing as "development of Half-Life 3".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.wdrb.com/story/36097070/teens-allegedly-stole-ice-cream-cake-from-london-ky-dunkin-donuts-as-part-of-social-media-prank

"We're really going to jail for this?" - Someone about to go to jail for stealing an ice cream cake as a "prank"

SPORTS

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Local 'freude: Two drunk lesbians beat up their valet, assault a bunch of pedestrians trying to call 911 on them. Best bit, one of them is a personal injury lawyer. Guess which one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I just want some kind of conclusion to the storyline.

They're screwed in that respect, too:

- It's been long enough that any resolution will be a letdown

- The original writer is gone

- There's a shade too much to resolve / people will only notice the stuff they don't resolve

- They backed themselves in a narrative corner with Gordon being a mute cypher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Local 'freude: Two drunk lesbians beat up their valet, assault a bunch of pedestrians trying to call 911 on them. Best bit, one of them is a personal injury lawyer. Guess which one.

Welp, I got that one wrong. I chose resting bitch face on the right.