Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Super Bowl XLII was the best Patriots game ever.

Superbowl XXXIX checks in at #20.

DJExile posted:

hot loving take:

stop listening to the bill simmons podcast. you are literally not missing anything but a man jacking off to himself and boston.

The reason I put this #20... it's always great to win the superbowl, But, we're coming off... they kill the Colts, they kill the Steelers in Pittsburgh, when they beat TO with a broken leg, this is the greatest team of all time. But it was a bad week in jacksonville and Patriots fans didn't go because they went to the last two, so it's all Eagles fans, and they all turn on their team in the 2nd quarter. The Pats don't play well, and it feels in the stadium like the Eagles lost the superbowl and the Patriots didn't totally win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FWIW XXXIX at the time came across like a weird, somewhat poorly-played Super Bowl despite the final score being close.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Best patriots superbowl was XXXI :colbert:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

XX.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FuzzySkinner posted:

-"Baseball is dying." (written during the mid-2000's)

This keeps getting re-written every other week, still.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it's not a coincidence that the people who say baseball is dying are always national media members/personalities/writers. They're just pissy no one wants to watch some big regular season match up because most fans are already watching their own team play 4-7 times per week.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-"NASCAR is the 2nd most popular sport in America and it's fastest growing sport" (written during the mid-2000's)

I would love to read a chronicle of NASCAR's rise and fall over the past 20 years. At one point it probably WAS among the top 2 or 3 sports (I guess depending on how you measure that....ratings? attendance?) but it has been in an absolute freefall for about a decade. I used to attend 1 to 2 races a year and at its peak, it was amazing how many people would attend a race. Now, not only do I barely watch a fraction of maybe 2 or 3 races during the year, but when I turned on the Brickyard 400 a few weeks ago there were MAYBE 20-30,000 people in attendance? At a track that seats ~250,000?

It is absolutely pathetic. But I love reading inside baseball-type stories about the hubris that brings big organizations down.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inspector_666 posted:

This keeps getting re-written every other week, still.

Calcaterra had a funny article where he found people writing it going back to like the 1800s

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I would love to read a chronicle of NASCAR's rise and fall over the past 20 years. At one point it probably WAS among the top 2 or 3 sports (I guess depending on how you measure that....ratings? attendance?) but it has been in an absolute freefall for about a decade. I used to attend 1 to 2 races a year and at its peak, it was amazing how many people would attend a race. Now, not only do I barely watch a fraction of maybe 2 or 3 races during the year, but when I turned on the Brickyard 400 a few weeks ago there were MAYBE 20-30,000 people in attendance? At a track that seats ~250,000?

It is absolutely pathetic. But I love reading inside baseball-type stories about the hubris that brings big organizations down.

Here's the beginning and end of it.

-NASCAR saw an increase of suburban types who enjoyed their product.
-NASCAR then abandoned it's core demographic in favor of reaching those very same people
-Those surbuban types? All bailed/went back to pro football around the time of the recssion
-NASCAR is still trying to chase the suburban types.

BWV posted:

it's not a coincidence that the people who say baseball is dying are always national media members/personalities/writers. They're just pissy no one wants to watch some big regular season match up because most fans are already watching their own team play 4-7 times per week.

Yeah ratings locally for the Indians games are always the highest ranked thing of the week.

It just doesn't feel like a sport in "decline". My stupid theory? As long as you can still serve beer at baseball games? Baseball will exist.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MourningView posted:

Calcaterra had a funny article where he found people writing it going back to like the 1800s

SBNation did a similar article about college football. It's always interesting to see historical hot takes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

Brickyard this year was a weird situation with attendance. There was a storm that passed through shortly after the first green flag dropped, so I think a non-trivial amount of people just said gently caress it and left. I'm not going to fault NASCAR entirely for huge swaths of open seats this year.

The funny thing is Watkins Glen was a sellout. A road course. Then again, the fandom has warmed up to them, and NASCAR recognized this.

By giving them the Charlotte Roval as the third road course :psyduck:

Also what FuzzySkinner said. My take is this: the recession really hit NASCAR hard because racing is one of those sports that casual fans are more inclined to say they enjoy going to than watching on TV (see also: baseball, soccer). Go to a race once a year, catch the others on TV. When prices shot out of reach for most fans, it stripped a lot of incentive away.

Another common complaint regarding NASCAR is the sameness in a lot of the tracks. Leading up to and during the peak years, a lot of 1.5 mile tri-ovals were built, and they all race the same way. Apparently part of the appeal, at least for the people building them, is you can stick 100k person grandstands on the front stretch.

e: track diversity, for what it's worth, and there's only 36 races over 23 tracks:
1x 2.66 mi tri-oval (Talladega)
1x 2.5 mi tri-oval (Daytona)
1x 2.5 mi triangle (Pocono)
1x 2.5 mi quad-oval (Indy)
2x 2 mi D-oval (Fontana and Michigan)
7x 1.5 mi tri-oval (Chicagoland, Kansas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Kentucky, Las Vegas, Texas)
1x 1.5 mi oval (Homestead-Miami)
1x 1.366 mi egg-oval (Darlington)
1x 1 mi oval (New Hampshire, Dover)
1x 1 mi dogleg oval (Phoenix)
1x 0.75 mi D-oval (Richmond)
1x 0.533 mi oval (Bristol)
1x 0.526 mi oval (Martinsville)

1x 2.454 mi road course (Watkins Glen)
1x 1.99 mi road course (Sonoma)

So yeah, nearly a third of all the tracks are of similar layouts.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

yeah, it's extremely tribal

as just said there's places where it's the highest-rated thing on tv, that's where the money is (and that's why come playoff time there's understandable announcer bitching)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Baseball does well regionally because it also doesn't have to go up against much in the middle of summer. That said, baseball sucks and is boring.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

FuzzySkinner posted:

My stupid theory? As long as you can still serve beer at baseball games? Baseball will exist.

This is 100% true

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

was clearly Pats/Panthers for excitement imo, but Pats/Seahawks was such a well played game between two great teams.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Giants vs Pats 1 was good because it's the first and only Superbowl where one side had odds where you could actually make decent bank if they won, and the Giants were 9/2 when I laid £20 on them. Most of the time the odds of an outright winner are so close it's not even remotely worth it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pats/Giants II was not great but it was hilarious that Eli Manning somehow got two Super Bowl rings against Tom Brady.

Pats/Giants I had one of the greatest plays in football history which is hard to gently caress with.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BWV posted:

But, if you put it up against its own history, the sport isn't as healthy as it once was. I don't mean the MLB, I mean Baseball Itself. Society and American culture changed. There was a time we'd probably have all played in our company's league. League! Now its an aberration if a company has a team.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Pats/Giants II was not great but it was hilarious that Eli Manning somehow got two Super Bowl rings against Tom Brady.

Pats/Giants I had one of the greatest plays in football history which is hard to gently caress with.

All I can really remember from the 1st aside from winning money was that absolutely monster first drive the Giants put together

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

hot loving take:

stop listening to the bill simmons podcast. you are literally not missing anything but a man jacking off to himself and boston.

The Kevin Durant ones are great. Never heard Durant that open in interviews before. The Morey one is good. I'm even enjoying his entertainment ones with Judd Apatow and Will Ferrell. The Kimmel one right after the Oscars was cool.

Here's the thing, he's a great interviewer. Legitimately does a ton of research on his guests and has been doing it long enough that he makes them comfortable. So if it's a good guest, listen. If not, just pass.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Always skip if Simmons has Corolla, Michael Rappaport, or JackO on. Cousin Sal and Joe House are in ehhhh territory

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kalli posted:

Superbowl XXXIX checks in at #20.

The reason I put this #20... it's always great to win the superbowl, But, we're coming off... they kill the Colts, they kill the Steelers in Pittsburgh, when they beat TO with a broken leg, this is the greatest team of all time. But it was a bad week in jacksonville and Patriots fans didn't go because they went to the last two, so it's all Eagles fans, and they all turn on their team in the 2nd quarter. The Pats don't play well, and it feels in the stadium like the Eagles lost the superbowl and the Patriots didn't totally win it.

They also won by cheating

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This is 100% true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Association_(19th_century)

Exhibit A.

Thank the Reds for saving baseball.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sash! posted:

But, if you put it up against its own history, the sport isn't as healthy as it once was. I don't mean the MLB, I mean Baseball Itself. Society and American culture changed. There was a time we'd probably have all played in our company's league. League! Now its an aberration if a company has a team.

Didn't this happen quite some time ago though? Like in the 60s and 70s when football became America's new pastime via television? I forget which famous sports writer wrote about it, maybe Halberstam? or Deford? but someone has an iconic article about this transition and the role television and the on coming information age played in shaping it. I'll look for it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Baseball will always hang around. It's just different from the other sports. The game is more regional and fans mostly just care about their own team. It also feels like it's the sort of TV you watch in the background while you're doing other stuff. That's not necessarily bad, late night talk shows thrived off this kind of viewing.

It's destined to be 3rd in the sports landscape for the foreseeable future. Maybe it'll fall below soccer in a generation or two. But it'll always be there and be successful. Just has a ceiling to that success because it's long, boring, and refuses to change with the times.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Kalli posted:

Just to give you a tiny taste: (Dave Roberts) Greatest steal of all time... I don't even know which would be 2nd.

lmao Jackie Robinson stole home in the World Series

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ElwoodCuse posted:

lmao Jackie Robinson stole home in the World Series

Okay, so we've identified number 2, cool.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

There was a time when we would have all retired with company pensions, and our kids could go to college just by working at a summer job! A summer job!

I wonder what happened

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Niwrad posted:

Baseball will always hang around. It's just different from the other sports. The game is more regional and fans mostly just care about their own team. It also feels like it's the sort of TV you watch in the background while you're doing other stuff. That's not necessarily bad, late night talk shows thrived off this kind of viewing.

It's destined to be 3rd in the sports landscape for the foreseeable future. Maybe it'll fall below soccer in a generation or two. But it'll always be there and be successful. Just has a ceiling to that success because it's long, boring, and refuses to change with the times.

It will outlast football.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Football will die as it's players did: extremely confused and a victim of short-sightedness.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

General Dog posted:

Yeah, 3rd "for the forseeable future"? MLB makes as much money as the NBA and NHL combined. They supplanted horse racing and boxing and reigned supreme until the 1990s. And whatever issues baseball faces (most importantly the TV rights bubble which is EVERYONE'S problem), at least it doesn't kill the people who play it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, 3rd "for the forseeable future"? MLB makes as much money as the NBA and NHL combined. They supplanted horse racing and boxing and reigned supreme until the 1990s. And whatever issues baseball faces (most importantly the TV rights bubble which is EVERYONE'S problem), at least it doesn't kill the people who play it.

One Aaron Judge line drive might change that last bit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

ray chapman's family might argue that last point

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's drat hard to kill off the brands of those teams locally. Niwrad and others kinda nailed it.

Even during "off" or "meh" years I would see people excited to go to Indians games or listen to them on the radio. Same with the Reds and Cardinals. Would those same fans care as much about...I dunno...a Marlins-Braves NLCS? Probably not. But the team they have in town they'll stay loyal to.

BWV posted:

Didn't this happen quite some time ago though? Like in the 60s and 70s when football became America's new pastime via television? I forget which famous sports writer wrote about it, maybe Halberstam? or Deford? but someone has an iconic article about this transition and the role television and the on coming information age played in shaping it. I'll look for it.

This is well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

General Dog posted:

Football is still so far ahead of any other sport that even a huge loss in viewership doesn't threaten their lead. Their preseason games do World Series numbers. Plus I think losses to the football base will move to sports like soccer and maybe basketball instead.

Like I know there are pieces put out about the death of football but it's still heavily entrenched in parts of this country and will take generations to change that (if it ever does).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think pro football would collapse before college if it does happen

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

at least it doesn't kill the people who play it.

Just the people who watch it.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 10, 2017

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Just the people who watch it.

what, not the gif?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ElwoodCuse posted:

No it doesn't. MLB revenue in 2016-17 was ~10b, NBA ~8b, NHL ~4b. NFL is up at ~14b. That may have been true before the new NBA tv deal kicked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also over a billion of MLB's revenue comes from MLB Advanced Media which works outside the sport.