Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know this is an odd question but is there anything that's like a Maschine but analog and not tied to a computer?

Analog in what way? CV outs? Cirklon. Pyramid. Stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
It's an odd question because the Maschine is a controller and can't make its own sound.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah. I guess I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. An analog, natural, "flawed" sounding machine with a focus on the rhythm section? That's the only way I can explain what I want.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
By that description, what about the Maschine made you think you wanted something similar? Generally when you say "analog", you are talking about an actual instrument. The Maschine just plays samples and will make no sounds on its own. What sounds are you looking for? Percussion?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone try out the new IK Multimedia Syntronik suite?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I guess it wasn't the best comparison example but something percussion focused. No keyboard. Depth but very accessible and tweakable. I guess I could be looking for some kind of analog drum machine with pads.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I guess it wasn't the best comparison example but something percussion focused. No keyboard. Depth but very accessible and tweakable. I guess I could be looking for some kind of analog drum machine with pads.

Admittedly I've never had either so i'm not really certain, but I suspect you're asking for something like an MPC, probably 1000, maybe the newer MPC Live. Other synthgoons probably know better than I though.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah. I guess I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. An analog, natural, "flawed" sounding machine with a focus on the rhythm section? That's the only way I can explain what I want.

DSI Tempest sounds like what you're after, but a Rytm might be a better look.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

Kilometers Davis posted:

Rytm, Tempest, Drumbrute, if analog isn't important (it isn't) electribe 2.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
get a korg ea-1 or es-1 and learn to dub/multitrack

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
The only true analogue option is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlzATgziuY

it's got tubes in it so it's objectively the best sound anyone may ever ask for. The only drawback I can see is that it don't have "Dicklicker-69" or something like that written on it, like most MS boxes. Cockmuncher-CCK. You know. Piss Galaxy GTR.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

dj bobby bieber posted:

Tempest is certainly a flawed machine waka waka waka

E: I'd suggest rytm if the thing sampled on it's own. Give up the analog req and cop an mpc1k. Spend the savings on a modded korg volca beats

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Been trying to put more audio stuff up again; also trying to actually get stuff sounding more structured as "songs" rather than "me playing with faders". Happy with how this one turned out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmpvPuTzAk though I should really start running this stuff through a better mastering chain.

I really gotta bite the bullet and start using this alongside Ableton Live to get more sequence variety. Also I should get a MIDI/CV interface rather than relying on the Beatstep Pro to sorta work as one.

Edit: chiming in to the above I love my RYTM but the inability to sample directly from on mk 1 is annoying. Really wish they could make that happen in firmware using the useless audio in jacks, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dj bobby bieber posted:

These are good suggestions. Keep in mind that what you are looking for tends to be fairly expensive (both of those are $1500+).

MockingQuantum posted:

Admittedly I've never had either so i'm not really certain, but I suspect you're asking for something like an MPC, probably 1000, maybe the newer MPC Live. Other synthgoons probably know better than I though.

An MPC is not an instrument and doesn't make any sound of its own.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MrSargent posted:

An MPC is not an instrument and doesn't make any sound of its own.

Uh, what?

Any of them can sample and amplify their own internal noise and do weird no input stuff, so you're not even technically right here

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kilometers Davis posted:

Analog rytm. they're incredible. I've had mine for 2 months or so and love it. it's pretty much exactly what you're describing, the sequencing on it is great and the sounds are all effortlessly huge.

The new one that will be available in 6 weeks or so can sample now too. https://www.elektron.se/analog-rytm-mkii/
if it's too expensive then just save up. i wish i'd got mine sooner (or later, i missed the mk2 announcement by 30 days... and a huge drop in resale price)
MK1's are often on sale second hand for around $850 now since the mk2 was announced. that'll probably creep back up towards $1k a bit once mk2 hype & people planning to upgrade eases off.
edit: looks like they're already creeping back up to $950 second hand. Saw a couple go for $800 just as the mk2 announcement happened. anyway if you're not afraid of second hand gear it's a great option.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 9, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

Uh, what?

Any of them can sample and amplify their own internal noise and do weird no input stuff, so you're not even technically right here

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant that its a sampler and not the "drum synth" that this guy is looking for.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
dont spend tons of money on new things get a yamaha rx5 or a ry10

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Startyde posted:

E: I'd suggest rytm if the thing sampled on it's own. Give up the analog req and cop an mpc1k. Spend the savings on a modded korg volca beats

The new one does, apparently!

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
nord drum and that midi thing that turns it into a poly synth

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ok now I think I might be an idiot and confusing things.

The MPC does not have audio out so I always thought that meant it doesn't produce its own sound. I wouldn't really consider "sampling internal noise" as producing your own sound but maybe I am wrong.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

seems like you want a steel drum?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

MrSargent posted:

Ok now I think I might be an idiot and confusing things.

The MPC does not have audio out so I always thought that meant it doesn't produce its own sound. I wouldn't really consider "sampling internal noise" as producing your own sound but maybe I am wrong.

Hrm...

Are you maybe thinking of one of the semi-recent shite-tier controller-dongle MPCs that needed to be connected to a computer?

Anyway, take a gander at the Sequential Circuits Studio 440, OP, for some true vintage (12 bit) analogue (filter) drum computer flawed-but-awesome sequencing power. I'll likely be buried with mine.

Alternative suggestion: Yamaha RS7000. Another unit that'll have to pried from my cold, dead fingers.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Considering I want to keep my analog beat machine under like $500 I think the drumbrute is going to be my best option. Some of the others mentioned look amazing but I waste enough money on gear as is. Anything I should know about the brute before bumping it up to the "poo poo I'm def gonna blow money on soon" list?

Clavavisage posted:

seems like you want a steel drum?

Nailed it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

ynohtna posted:

Hrm...

Are you maybe thinking of one of the semi-recent shite-tier controller-dongle MPCs that needed to be connected to a computer?

Anyway, take a gander at the Sequential Circuits Studio 440, OP, for some true vintage (12 bit) analogue (filter) drum computer flawed-but-awesome sequencing power. I'll likely be buried with mine.

Alternative suggestion: Yamaha RS7000. Another unit that'll have to pried from my cold, dead fingers.

Of course, the first MPC1000 I looked at on Google only had MIDI In/Out and USB which is the poo poo-tier I think you are referring to. Ignore me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Considering I want to keep my analog beat machine under like $500 I think the drumbrute is going to be my best option. Some of the others mentioned look amazing but I waste enough money on gear as is. Anything I should know about the brute before bumping it up to the "poo poo I'm def gonna blow money on soon" list?

Nailed it

As someone who recently spent months going down a very similar rabbit hole, the only thing I would recommend in general is definitely do not shackle yourself to the limitation of needing something analog or strictly drum synths. I was very anti-MPC when I started out because I felt like I wanted to craft my own drum sounds rather than "rely" on samples, but nowadays I find I spend too much time loving around with drum synths and not really enjoying it.

If you get your hands on a Drumbrute and really enjoy the experience, then great, it's probably what you're looking for. I would say absolutely don't buy one without trying it first. When I borrowed one from a friend it was fun for the first couple hours, then when I got deeper into it I found it wasn't what I was looking for at all.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

There's some major limitation to Drumbrute that I don't quite remember. Can it be that it doesn't have automation/parameter locking or whatever you call it, or am I confusing it with something? Also it sounds unexciting, and there's no cowbell which to some may be a positive, but I like cowbell unironically.

The all women trio that performed on one or two of the new Twin Peaks episodes used a Drumbrute. The Arturia logo was right on the screen, or that may have been another *brute, but that girl seemed to be in charge of drums.

On the other hand everyone needs a 909/808 something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That was a Minibrute on Twin Peaks. I've turned into the kind of person who, when there's a synth on screen in a show, immediately loses the plot until he's figured out what model.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Get a Rhythm Wolf and a hang drum.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

That was a Minibrute on Twin Peaks. I've turned into the kind of person who, when there's a synth on screen in a show, immediately loses the plot until he's figured out what model.

Ah, I noticed a synth brute during one of the shots but though maybe they had both. Arturia guys are chuffed about this I'm sure, and well deserved.

Yeah, Drumbrute lacks automation. Since even Volcas have it, it seems a big omission, but tweaking a drum machine by hand is also fun. A Volca Beats and Sample combo is another option. Just a Sample is also good, it has a lot of classic drum machine sounds preloaded, and you can load anything onto it. Volca Beats is full on analogue.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

loga mira posted:

Ah, I noticed a synth brute during one of the shots but though maybe they had both. Arturia guys are chuffed about this I'm sure, and well deserved.

Yeah, Drumbrute lacks automation. Since even Volcas have it, it seems a big omission, but tweaking a drum machine by hand is also fun. A Volca Beats and Sample combo is another option. Just a Sample is also good, it has a lot of classic drum machine sounds preloaded, and you can load anything onto it.

That was my gripe about it. I wanted something that would get me away from a computer screen and give me a chance to just throw together beats and grooves. There's lots out there that'll do that, but Drumbrute isn't it. It's great for what it is, but I felt like I'd still be pretty closely tied to a DAW to get much use out of it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Did anyone here end up getting a matrixbrute/hearing much about them?

They are still very appealing to me but nobody in any synth related fb group, website or here seems to talk about them. I saw a lot of people saying that they were excited to hear about the build quality, then it came out and nothing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

Did anyone here end up getting a matrixbrute/hearing much about them?

They are still very appealing to me but nobody in any synth related fb group, website or here seems to talk about them. I saw a lot of people saying that they were excited to hear about the build quality, then it came out and nothing.

I know of one person who has it and he absolutely loves it. I know of five or six that got to try it through work/a friend's studio/a dealer connection and they all kind of said "I get the appeal but it's huge and I can't see myself using it regularly."

I think it's the kind of thing that if you really really want it, you'd probably find a lot of reasons to use it. It's by no means a must-have synth.

I will have one some day, dammit

Edit: One of the people I talked to said he wasn't wild on it in general, given that it's a gigantic monosynth "duosynth" that costs a pretty penny, but he dreams of having one as a kind of heart for his Eurorack setup. I know next to nothing about the CV capability of the matrixbrute so YMMV, just what I've heard.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 9, 2017

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

you're just going to end up buying 3 more synths this year don't get too hung up on it

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Get a Rhythm Wolf and a hang drum.

TomCat was the drum machine, with Toms where Rhythm Wolf had the rhythms the synth voice. They were such a spectacular blunder these things. Someone's gonna make one killer tone with it and invent wolfstep.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One tone is just about what they have

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

you're just going to end up buying 3 more synths this year don't get too hung up on it

Amazingly, I'm downsizing. No idea how.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Amazingly, I'm downsizing. No idea how.

Like, you are only buying smaller footprint gear? Otherwise I don't understand.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I'm going to grab a Volca Beats. It's cheap, sounds good, looks very fun and is ~~analog~~. Nothing else comes close pricewise and I like the small footprint a lot. I wish it was a little more knobby but what can ya do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

magiccarpet posted:

yeop

(new thread title pls)