Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

He says, while typing on a device literally made with child and slave labor :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, who's trying to goad us into nuclear war?

Colonel Sanders

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tim Whatley posted:

Colonel Sanders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogbGLV8QR58&t=61s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Reminder that State seems to be nearly non-functional and possibly completely out of the loop when it comes to the WH's foreign policy objectives. It feels weird to actually say this, but the State Dept. might not be the best source for information on how this administration is approaching any given foreign policy situation.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

If Mitch doesn't get the job done, Trump will rain down the full fire and fury as the world has never seen upon Kentucky.

Is bourbon really that good? Maybe Kentucky does deserve F&F for tortoise man and KFC.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/895356211884826624

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Giggy posted:

I know hypotheticals are dumb, but since anything is possible in this universe... Is there a legal justification for the military to refuse a nuclear strike or is it basically a 'coup'?

There is no legal justification. The President is the commander in chief and the one to whom the authority to make the call is granted and once the order is issued it's supposed to be followed.

However, the army is not composed of emotionless robots and there are many layers the order has to pass through before missiles actually leave their silos. Some obstacles were placed between Nixon and the red button that likely would not have held up under formal review; we'll probably never know the extent to which they were tested but clearly the world did not end at that time and now it's a precedent.

It's a "coup" only in the most technical sense because the military's next step would be to demand an invocation of the 25th Amendment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Is bourbon really that good?

Trump doesn't drink it so he'd probably say no.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

At this point we should basically disregard everything State says.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Nixon and Kissinger discuss nuclear weapons.

Nixon posted:

Sure, Socrates was a homo. We all know that. So was Aristotle.

... The last six Roman Emperors were fags.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2017

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Giggy posted:

I know hypotheticals are dumb, but since anything is possible in this universe... Is there a legal justification for the military to refuse a nuclear strike or is it basically a 'coup'?

None. The system is set up to ensure the President can direct a nuclear strike at any time, with as little friction as possible.

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2016/11/18/the-president-and-the-bomb/

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Doomsday clock: tick-tock tick-tock

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

empty whippet box posted:

What is this supposed to accomplish?

People want to Trump to disclose his finances so they can something something find a reason to unfairly impeach him!!!!

So if he releases Mueller's info, clearly they'll have no choice but to can him. That's how it works right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is still going on btw. Live feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B2j4Rp9U7E

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Worth noting that the evidentiary standard for a search warrant is probable cause that a crime has been committed and probable cause that evidence of the specific crime can be located in the location you want to search. Local standards will vary, but I've never seen one that will let you in absent specific intelligence about what you're looking for.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

"OMG YOU'RE OBSESSED" seems to be a reliable thing to say to the press these days. A much loved statement insult.

lol, you're a dick.
VVVVVVV

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
By the way, today is the 72nd anniversary of the dropping of Fat Man on Nagasaki.

:toot:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The danger is that war with NK would accidentally or indirectly rope in China (even if it's just a matter of a ballistic missile arcing towards China and China not being able to tell whether it's aimed at NK or Beijing).

Then should I say goodbye to everyone now

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Willo567 posted:

Then should I say goodbye to everyone now

yes, in this thread, you should say goodbye, as you stop posting here and treating this thread as your therapy outlet please

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/895341182452105216

Stay safe, Guammy Bears.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tayter Swift posted:

By the way, today is the 72nd anniversary of the dropping of Fat Man on Nagasaki.

:toot:

And Trump is 71 so he *just missed* the last nuking, probably feels left out

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

KickerOfMice posted:

"OMG YOU'RE OBSESSED" seems to be a reliable thing to say to the press these days. A much loved statement insult.

lol, you're a dick.
VVVVVVV

It's the same standard used by their channer and freeper base: if you care, you lose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Worth noting that the evidentiary standard for a search warrant is probable cause that a crime has been committed and probable cause that evidence of the specific crime can be located in the location you want to search. Local standards will vary, but I've never seen one that will let you in absent specific intelligence about what you're looking for.

I wonder if the results of this investigation will charge only Trump's outer sphere instead of Trump himself.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

haveblue posted:

It's a "coup" only in the most technical sense because the military's next step would be to demand an invocation of the 25th Amendment.

As much as I would not like to see democracy fall if it comes between that and the world ending in hellfire then let the military take over.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Azhais posted:

And Trump is 71 so he *just missed* the last nuking, probably feels left out
If you've seen episode 8 of this season of Twin Peaks, then it makes sense:
He was birthed out of the explosion like BOB or the dirty woodsmen by the alien-like mother creature.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

boner confessor posted:

yes, in this thread, you should say goodbye, as you stop posting here and treating this thread as your therapy outlet please

No need to be a dick

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder if the results of this investigation will charge only Trump's outer sphere instead of Trump himself.

President unindicted co-conspirator #3.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

If everyone around Trump got arrested, including his children, but Trump remained, I would be content knowing he was alone and furious.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Feldegast42 posted:

As much as I would not like to see democracy fall if it comes between that and the world ending in hellfire then let the military take over.

If the US fell to military coup in the face of averting nuclear disaster the world is hosed either way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Old James posted:

Mitch is bastard turtle. Why Donald hate?

President Trundle

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Stairmaster posted:

:toxx: there will be a nuclear war before the year is done

Just want to document this because at least one person will benefit if there's nuclear war

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

If you've seen episode 8 of this season of Twin Peaks, then it makes sense:
He was birthed out of the explosion like BOB or the dirty woodsmen by the alien-like mother creature.

Now we just need the Giant to produce a golden orb of Bernie from his forehead

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Did he read it in a Tom Clancy novel or something and think it just sounded totally awesome so now he wants to say it all the time?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Why would we use an ICBM to first strike North Korea? We probably wouldn't even need to use any nuclear device to dismantle their nuclear weapons capabilities. They don't have thousands and thousands of missiles in hardened silos.

I mean I'm freaked out about this development too but the DPRK completing a few missile tests doesn't mean they're suddenly as big a threat as the USSR in 1984.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

cochise posted:

when you hate e-mail servers so much
Didn't some Fed CIO get removed or replaced recently?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bizarro Watt posted:

Did he read it in a Tom Clancy novel or something and think it just sounded totally awesome so now he wants to say it all the time?

Highlighted your first mistake.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Dietrich posted:

Why would we use an ICBM to first strike North Korea? We probably wouldn't even need to use any nuclear device to dismantle their nuclear weapons capabilities. They don't have thousands and thousands of missiles in hardened silos.

I mean I'm freaked out about this development too but the DPRK completing a few missile tests doesn't mean they're suddenly as big a threat as the USSR in 1984.

Everyone is more worried about Trump to be honest

Also, the reason I'm asking about the end of all life is that many people here seem sure of it

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

coyo7e posted:

Didn't some Fed CIO get removed or replaced recently?

Thought they quit.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Feinne posted:

Thought they quit.

The DHS one quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895347654431035393

Lol. "why not done?" :saddowns:

• Locked thread