Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Depending on where you get it I think Bring Down the Sky is also baked into the base game now, but I could be wrong. I remember having to activate the extended ending via free DLC on Origin, but more to the point if you end up checking out the legitimately fun ME3 multiplayer don't forget to grab all of the free DLC for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mass Effect;
  • Bring Down the Sky

Mass Effect 2;
  • The Cerberus Network DLC (I think it's part of the base game now? Or at least it was the general anti-second-hand-copy DLC at the time)
  • Kasumi Stolen Memory
  • Lair of the Shadowbroker
  • Arrival
  • N7 Complete Arsenal Bundle (There are some really fun weapons in it, like the Blackstorm Projector and Venom Shotgun)

Mass Effect 3
  • From Ashes (Practically cut content from the base game, don't start the game without it)
  • Leviathan
  • Citadel (Save this for after you finish the game, it's basically a final love letter from the dev team as a goodbye to the franchise).
  • Extended Cut ending (pretty sure this is part of the base game now).

I'd add Overlord to ME2. If you like the Hammerhead, it adds some more segments, and if you don't, then the rest of it is fun enough to make it worth putting up with the hammerhead segments.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Overlord is good and has a nice callback in ME3, but it's really not essential to the main plot.

On the other hand Arrival is important to the main plot but is pretty poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you simply cannot get enough ME2 then Arrival is just okay but it's the weakest DLC overall, and you can just read a paragraph on the ME wiki if you really need to know how it bridges the gap between 2 & 3.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Also, and this can't be emphasized enough, prepare for the weakest ending in video game franchise history unless you thought the end to Deus Ex: Human Revolution was really grand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

If you simply cannot get enough ME2 then Arrival is just okay but it's the weakest DLC overall, and you can just read a paragraph on the ME wiki if you really need to know how it bridges the gap between 2 & 3.

Experiencing Arrival does help to underline just how loving stupid the ending to ME3 is though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress it, I'm gonna add a tip in ME3 about the Indoctrination Theory.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PMush Perfect posted:

Or you could not be a weird goon about it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Things I wish I knew before playing Mass Effect 3:

- Some meta-plot bullshit with 0 bearing on the gameplay, characters, or which DLC to spend my Bioware Points on.
- Kai Leng and Captain Anderson's girlfriend are characters from the novels haha
- What's Keith David up to these days?

E: Neddy Seagoon's DLC list is real good, but if it's cheap, ME2's Overlord lets you have fun with the hovercraft (as opposed to Firewalker which lets you have pain and frustration with the hovercraft). That's worth a dollar or two.

im cute fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 10, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I calmed down and removed the tip. Sorry I got all goony.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
A tip for the remastered version of Turok that came out on steam a couple years ago: They took out the hidden early Autoshotgun at the start of level 1, so don't keep pacing back and forth down the first couple hallways for half an hour thinking you're missing the climbable wall.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Since Pillars of Eternity is getting a console release at the end of this month i did have a question. It mentions on the wiki that mechanics is kind of your catch all find/disarm traps skill and that no particular party member is great at it to start out with unless you make them that way.

But in regards to making a character yourself, does this mean that there isn't the typical rogue/thief character that does stealth and backstabs and what not?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
There is, any character can be good at unlocking things/disarming traps/spotting hidden objects if you raise their mechanics skill. There's only five skills in the game (Stealth, Athletics, Lore, Mechanics, Survival) and and any character can take any combination of ranks in them given enough skill points which you get every level. As well some classes, races, and cultural backgrounds give you bonuses/penalties to those skills. The rogue starts with more mechanics inherently which also means they would use less skill points than other classes when getting ranks in them. Theoretically there's no reason your warrior can't be the mechanics guy, but Survival and Athletics might be much more useful for them. For me, my wizard is my mechanics guy because other than Lore for using scrolls he doesn't need anything else.

Every class has class and general talents also and that's where the mechanics of the class actually lie. Rogues can do the stealth and backstab thing like you would expect, but the damage potential of rogues is not the highest in the game. Still, just about any party comp can be viable on Normal. You can also respec your comrades and yourself at any time in an inn with gold.

I'd also suggest not playing on console if you can at all help it because this is kind of a micromanagement heavy game. The console interface they showed looks usable but is certainly not the best experience.

Also check out the PoE thread where the lead director of the game and goon rope kid as well as people who are way more knowledgeable about the game than I hang out.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

im cute posted:

Things I wish I knew before playing Mass Effect 3:

- Some meta-plot bullshit with 0 bearing on the gameplay, characters, or which DLC to spend my Bioware Points on.
- Kai Leng and Captain Anderson's girlfriend are characters from the novels haha
- What's Keith David up to these days?

E: Neddy Seagoon's DLC list is real good, but if it's cheap, ME2's Overlord lets you have fun with the hovercraft (as opposed to Firewalker which lets you have pain and frustration with the hovercraft). That's worth a dollar or two.

I always liked the Omega one for ME3, but that's mainly because it unlocks an absurdly OP biotic skill. Also, Captain Anderson had a girlfriend??

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 10, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gerblyn posted:

I always liked the Omega one for ME3, but that's mainly because it unlocks an absurdly OP biotic skill. Also, Captain Anderson had a girlfriend??

Kahlee Sanders. She shows up in the Grissom academy mission with Jack and does a pretty low key "Tell David not to die" thing. Also she helped him investigate Saren back when he was getting considered for Spectreship when that blew up.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here are some unsolicited tips for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (specifically for the PS4 version; I make no claims for the PC release)

-Once a badge is unlocked it remains unlocked even if you reload to a state before you unlocked it. So if there are two badges on a stage, one for opening the north door first and another for opening the south door first, you can open one door, reload, open the other door, and get both badges.
-Some badges will only register as completed once you complete the stage even if you meet the requirements. If you think you've done what the badge is requiring you to do, make a save and end the level.
-You can quickly rotate through the abilities or characters by tapping L1 or R1 respectively.
-If you hold R1 and use X you can select multiple characters at a time. Then you can tap R1 to rotate through the selected characters only, and all selected characters will mimic the lead (crouching, walking in a line behind the leader, etc.)
-Using Shadow Mode will slow down time a little bit and your "shadow character" moves a lot faster. You can also move the shadow character into position while standing/running, then crouch before setting the waypoint, and the character will crouch-walk the whole way to the waypoint once you active the plan. This is useful to save time if you need to position someone who won't be in any real threat of being seen.
-All characters have non-lethal attacks (Takuma's are non-lethal bombs) that can be selected by highlighting the character in the R1 wheel and pressing R3. Targets who are subdued non-lethally will wake up eventually, but if you hide the body in a building or a well they will never return and will not count as a kill. Note that they will still appear on your mini-map as red dots.
-There is no penalty for killing civilians aside from disqualifying you from some badges during that run. If you are running a stage with a specific goal in mind (for a speedrun badge, or to avoid going in the water for example), feel free to kill a few peasants.
-Really experiment with different abilities. Things that distract guards, like the rock, can also disrupt patrol patterns and provide new openings. Sneezing powder works just as well on Straw Hats and Samurai as it does on the generic Guards.
-It's impossible to ignore Shadow Mode. The only way to kill some groups is to do it simultaneously, but sometimes it's useful just to queue up an action so you can trigger it with one button instead of switching characters, targeting and executing.

There are a decent number of tips the game provides at relevant times during the loading screens, so I kind of tried to avoid repeating those.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can I get some newbie tips for Wild Arms XF?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 1 since it was released and would appreciate some tips. The wiki page is sparse: http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Kingdom_Hearts_1

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mayor McCheese posted:

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 1 since it was released and would appreciate some tips. The wiki page is sparse: http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Kingdom_Hearts_1

it's been a long time since i played kingdom hearts. a LONG time. but i was fairly wise to the content, so here's what i remember. if i had to limit my choicest info to A, B, and C, it would be these:

1) the game asks you when your adventure begins. how you answer determines the exp curve. choose Morning, which makes your "regular content" to-next-levels pretty reasonable. the grind to the superbosses at 99 is even more excruciating, however.

2) there's a special attack you'll learn as you level up called Strike Raid. this should generally be the only special attack you equip. it's the "core gameplay" special attack that lets you hit distant bosses and knock them out of annoying/dangerous attack patterns. it also gives you some i-frames iirc. please learn to use it effectively :)

the game never really covers it because it isn't like a major story thing and you're supposed to be using magic instead of this top-tier attack. magic sucks for various reasons

3) i'm sorry. there is no skip cutscene

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Anything for For Honor? It's the free weekend this weekend.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks White Dragon!

The White Dragon posted:

3) i'm sorry. there is no skip cutscene

oh god

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kenny Logins posted:

If I weren't so lazy, I'd make a "DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES" meme image for you, but that really is what you need to know before playing For Honor. It's another game on the big pile of "good game ideas ruined by Ubisoft being a poo poo company."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zaodai posted:

If I weren't so lazy, I'd make a "DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES" meme image for you, but that really is what you need to know before playing For Honor. It's another game on the big pile of "good game ideas ruined by Ubisoft being a poo poo company."
Cool. So it's a lot like The Division free weekend then.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Picked up Tales of Berseria when it was on sale. I'm not having a great time, is there any way to make the combat feel better? I've been trying to match my artes to the enemy weaknesses and type, anything beyond that?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kenny Logins posted:

Cool. So it's a lot like The Division free weekend then.

Exactly, but somehow even worse.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kenny Logins posted:

Its really a fighting game not a 3rd person brawler/action game. When you start you may want to avoid the 4v4 modes because getting gang banged can be very frustrating for new players. In 1v1s try to learn why you lose, there is always a reason. It's a game where if you can learn from matches where you lose spectacularly you can improve and enjoy it. If you are not able to learn why you got owned and just rage out instead it won't be very enjoyable, because there absolutely will be times where you run into players that trounce you very badly to the point of being totally blown away. That said it's pretty awesome to watch anyone 1v3 and wipe the floor for a huge comeback (be it teammate or enemy), even more so when it's yourself who pulls off the 1v3.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 11, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Zaodai posted:

What's so bad about it? No stake in the game, just curious.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Mayor McCheese posted:

beyond what White Dragon said, there are a few extra details you may want to know

- Your choice of weapon at the start of the Prologue (Sword/Shield/Staff) affects a few things like stat growth and how many items/accessories you can equip. The biggest change, however, is that the weapon you choose dictates the order you learn abilities- going with the Shield will let you learn defensive abilities (Second Chance, Lucky Strike) at earlier levels, whereas going with the Staff prioritizes stuff like MP Rage and MP Haste. Because of this- broadly speaking- picking the Shield makes the game slightly easier, while picking the Sword makes it harder.
    - Magic in this game is one of those things that you need to really focus on if you want to use it well, primarily because the damage/efficiency of your magic is dependent on your maximum MP. If you wanna be a spellcaster, you can, but you need to commit to it from the get-go (pick the Staff, equip MP-boosting accessories and weapons, use MP-related abilities, accept that you're going to be physically weaker and squishier)
    - There's an option on the Start Menu that at first glance just looks like it sets your spellcasting shortcuts. If you go deeper in, it also lets you set the AI behavior for Donald/Goofy/other party members. There are a few pre-made configurations, but the important detail is that you can set their various priorities yourself so that they don't constantly blow all their MP in the first 10 seconds of every fight and then start chugging their limited supply of potions and ethers.
    - The game isn't bullshitting you when it says that some keyblades are heavier/harder to deflect than others. If you attack an enemy when they're in mid-swing or blocking, one of you is going to be left wide open while the other gets a free attack in- and if you're using something the game described as lightweight or easily parried, then you're going to be the one stumbling back and getting hit in those situations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argus Zant posted:

beyond what White Dragon said, there are a few extra details you may want to know

- Your choice of weapon at the start of the Prologue (Sword/Shield/Staff) affects a few things like stat growth and how many items/accessories you can equip. The biggest change, however, is that the weapon you choose dictates the order you learn abilities- going with the Shield will let you learn defensive abilities (Second Chance, Lucky Strike) at earlier levels, whereas going with the Staff prioritizes stuff like MP Rage and MP Haste. Because of this- broadly speaking- picking the Shield makes the game slightly easier, while picking the Sword makes it harder.
    - Magic in this game is one of those things that you need to really focus on if you want to use it well, primarily because the damage/efficiency of your magic is dependent on your maximum MP. If you wanna be a spellcaster, you can, but you need to commit to it from the get-go (pick the Staff, equip MP-boosting accessories and weapons, use MP-related abilities, accept that you're going to be physically weaker and squishier)
    - There's an option on the Start Menu that at first glance just looks like it sets your spellcasting shortcuts. If you go deeper in, it also lets you set the AI behavior for Donald/Goofy/other party members. There are a few pre-made configurations, but the important detail is that you can set their various priorities yourself so that they don't constantly blow all their MP in the first 10 seconds of every fight and then start chugging their limited supply of potions and ethers.
    - The game isn't bullshitting you when it says that some keyblades are heavier/harder to deflect than others. If you attack an enemy when they're in mid-swing or blocking, one of you is going to be left wide open while the other gets a free attack in- and if you're using something the game described as lightweight or easily parried, then you're going to be the one stumbling back and getting hit in those situations.

There's actually a specific combination you want to take at the start (I think it's take staff, drop sword?) because it'll get you extra MP that you can't otherwise have.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Thanks White Dragon!

oh god

There is cutscene skip added in the newer HD releases. So go nuts if you have that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Getsuya posted:

Can I get some newbie tips for Wild Arms XF?
The RFX stat determines turn order, and is therefore as usual the most important. Clarissa will almost always want to spam her move that boosts it for all adjacent units.

A class you get around the third set of classes has a passive skill that randomly increases your RFX until your next turn, which at times will give you multiple turns in a row if the RNG is feeling nice. Everyone should have this skill.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BrightWing posted:

There is cutscene skip added in the newer HD releases. So go nuts if you have that.

Thanks for the tips!

And yeah it's the HD version. I remember KH2 have just a poo poo ton of cutscenes, but I don't remember much from the first game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I would like to add for KH1 that the stat that magic attacks run off of is actually Maximum MP.

Also if you're playing on Proud mode (or just in general but especially for Proud mode), never, EVER, sacrifice the shield. Ever. Quirks in the damage formula mean that that missing two defense means like 50-70% more incoming damage unless you're significantly overleveled.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

It's really kind of a fighting game, so there's a lot of detail you could go into. But a few basic things relevant for the beginning:

-Play both the basic and the advanced tutorial, there's a bunch of actually useful stuff in there. Also consider watching the introductory videos for whatever character you feel like playing.

-All characters can be made to work, but at the beginning Warden and Kensei are probably the most straightforward and intuitive ones.

-You can play all characters (except Shinobi and Centurion) without having to buy them. Buying them just unlocks their customisation. Though it might work a little differently for the free weekend, I dunno :shrug:

-Unlike many other fighting games, your chains/combos aren't actually guaranteed to land if you connect the first attack. You can still block and parry the second, third, etc. hits of a chain even if the preceding ones hit. So don't feel compelled to try and go through each chain in its entirety, it's perfectly fine to just settle for one or two hits before backing off again.

-Much of the gameplay revolves around landing Parries, i.e. hitting heavy attack right before the enemy attack connects. Most characters get a guaranteed guardbreak off of this, which in turn can be leveraged into heavily damaging attacks.

-A guardbreak attempt can usually be countered by hitting guardbreak just after it connects. The timing for this is a little weird, but there's a section for getting it down in the advanced tutorial.

-A guardbreak is uncounterable if it hits while the target is currently dodging, has just been parried, or is still recovering from a missed guardbreak of their own.

-Avoid heavy attacks for the beginning. There's a time and place for them, but throwing them out to initiate with will almost always lead to you getting parried. Use your lights for opening up, and save the heavies for when the enemy is stunned and can't defend.

-After landing a guardbreak, most characters can get in a free sideways heavy attack. If you throw them into a wall they're stunned for longer, usually allowing you to get in a free top heavy attack.

-Always be throwing people off of ledges.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mayor McCheese posted:

Thanks for the tips!

And yeah it's the HD version. I remember KH2 have just a poo poo ton of cutscenes, but I don't remember much from the first game.

Yeah, thankfully you can skip cutscenese this time around.

Also

- There are new mid-boss-type enemies that have been added to the remake. These guys show up in very specific areas, based on random chance, and have really rare drops that you need if you want to get to some high-level crafting. Look up a guide for them if you're interested, some of them are obscure.
- There isn't much point to gummy ship missions. You can do them for some extra blueprints, but like the rest of gummy ship stuff, they're only there if you want to do even more gummy ship stuff, and don't affect the rest of the game at all.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually a specific combination you want to take at the start (I think it's take staff, drop sword?) because it'll get you extra MP that you can't otherwise have.

At the start, what you take has a permanent effect. Staff is 2 MP, Shield is 2 item slots, Sword is 1 item slot (and no, it doesn't also give 1 MP to balance out).

Both what you take and what you drop have temporary effects, mainly relating to base stats (more relevant on higher difficulties) and - for what you take - the relative order in which you learn abilities (but you eventually learn everything anyway). But the only permanent effects are MP and item slots which are 100% dictated by what you take, and it doesn't matter what you drop.

Trick Question posted:

Picked up Tales of Berseria when it was on sale. I'm not having a great time, is there any way to make the combat feel better? I've been trying to match my artes to the enemy weaknesses and type, anything beyond that?

On the very easiest difficulty setting, elemental strengths and weaknesses cease to exist entirely. They matter increasingly more as you go up in difficulty. Depending on whether you're struggling with combat being too boringly easy or too obnoxiously hard and/or drawn-out, tweak difficulty to suit your taste.

If you want, you can customize your combos for your controlled character based on the local random enemies, and it's a good idea to do it regardless for bosses. That way you can just spam B-B-B-B for enemy X and A-A-A-A for enemy Y and so on, rather than trying to remember "poo poo, which combo step of which button did I put the strong-vs-undead attack on?". You can tweak this to your heart's content mid-combat.

Try to be at least a little mindful of the actual behavior of the attacks in question beyond their damage types though, so you don't do poo poo like launching an enemy away from you and then doing some close-range attacks at empty air. Sometimes it's worth passing up on hitting all the weaknesses if it means avoiding using some move that doesn't play nicely with the rest of the moves in your combo.

Use your break soul attacks regularly (you can include them mid-combo!), don't save up to the max amount of souls and just chill there. They're good.

Each character has a different playstyle (particularly when you start involving their break soul attacks), so if you don't like playing as one character, try another. Maybe look up a guide of some sort for basic tips on how to play character XYZ effectively.

If you want a shitload of illicit money and cooking ingredients, abuse the ship minigame once it unlocks. The time the ship goes out and consequently when it will return is based on your computer clock which is how it still works when you're not actively playing. But since you can change your computer clock...

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 12, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've added deets on the missable trinity mark from KH1 to the entry, too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Another note for Break Souls in Tales of Berseria: Velvet's Break Soul is described in game as essentially a small stat boost (depending on what you hit with it) and a special combo finisher in exchange for draining your HP during it's duration. What it actually is is much more awesome.

-Velvet's Break Soul can be executed mid-combo to extend your combo. It restarts your Arte chain each time you use it.
-The HP drain effect starts slow and speeds up the longer you have it active
-Velvet will eventually get three more special techniques that can only be used during her break soul, one is a launcher, one knocks away, the other is a multi hit combo
- All three of them will drain HP and heal you, they simply cost the same as her break soul does so you can't spam them. You can also just do her standard break soul too.
-The third requires you to be in Break Soul for about 20 seconds which will require learning how to combo her various abilities to keep it from draining your HP to 1 and ending automatically. Her best mystic arte requires this ability to use, so learn it.
-Oh did I not mention that? You are essentially immortal until her Break Soul runs out. You can't drop below 1 HP.
-Did I also mention that there's nothing stopping you from using Break Soul to drain HP and do it all again? Because you totally can.
- Why yes, you can heal yourself to full just by having enough gauge to do more break souls.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Another thing, considering that some of the upper tier mystic artes can be a little finicky to use directly, they're arguably a lot easier to pull off in mystic arte chains, where you do the switch character thing that has them fire off a mystic arte as they come in. If you cycle through all six characters like this, characters 1 and 2 in the chain do the tier 1 mystic arte, characters 3 and 4 do the tier 2, and characters 5 and 6 do the tier 3. If a character doesn't have a given tier unlocked (tier 3 unlocks in the final dungeon) they'll use the highest tier they do have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Perestroika posted:

It's really kind of a fighting game, so there's a lot of detail you could go into. But a few basic things relevant for the beginning:

-Play both the basic and the advanced tutorial, there's a bunch of actually useful stuff in there. Also consider watching the introductory videos for whatever character you feel like playing.

-All characters can be made to work, but at the beginning Warden and Kensei are probably the most straightforward and intuitive ones.

-You can play all characters (except Shinobi and Centurion) without having to buy them. Buying them just unlocks their customisation. Though it might work a little differently for the free weekend, I dunno :shrug:

-Unlike many other fighting games, your chains/combos aren't actually guaranteed to land if you connect the first attack. You can still block and parry the second, third, etc. hits of a chain even if the preceding ones hit. So don't feel compelled to try and go through each chain in its entirety, it's perfectly fine to just settle for one or two hits before backing off again.

-Much of the gameplay revolves around landing Parries, i.e. hitting heavy attack right before the enemy attack connects. Most characters get a guaranteed guardbreak off of this, which in turn can be leveraged into heavily damaging attacks.

-A guardbreak attempt can usually be countered by hitting guardbreak just after it connects. The timing for this is a little weird, but there's a section for getting it down in the advanced tutorial.

-A guardbreak is uncounterable if it hits while the target is currently dodging, has just been parried, or is still recovering from a missed guardbreak of their own.

-Avoid heavy attacks for the beginning. There's a time and place for them, but throwing them out to initiate with will almost always lead to you getting parried. Use your lights for opening up, and save the heavies for when the enemy is stunned and can't defend.

-After landing a guardbreak, most characters can get in a free sideways heavy attack. If you throw them into a wall they're stunned for longer, usually allowing you to get in a free top heavy attack.

-Always be throwing people off of ledges.
Thanks for this, even though I kind of hate this game.